PDA

View Full Version : Another positive TRLegend review

Trinity34
27th Sep 2005, 22:43
Tomb Raider: Legend
By Greg Atkinson -- PC Writer
Published 12:00 PM CDT, September 26, 2005

The Lara Croft legacy is looking to be back on track. We tell you all about it in our Legends preview.

Hot Meter

Besides Lara in her newest form, there is a great deal to look forward to in this package. Not only a graphical update, the physics, control and camera systems are all getting fixed up. Lara Croft is also returning to her natural habitat: the underground. Out with the barren cityscapes and high-tech office complexes, and in with the caves and tombs. The Lara we all once loved, who bounced to and fro dual wielding pistols and recovering great artifacts is set to return in glorious splendor to the PC, PS2, Xbox and possibly Xbox 360.

Preview

With a different set of developers at the reigns, the Tomb Raider series is getting a much-needed revamp. Crystal Dynamics, the team behind the Soul Reaver games, has the opportunity to save this all-but-lost franchise. From the looks of things, they're taking it.

Gone are the days of Lara Croft running the hallways of cubicle-plastered office buildings, using all sorts of weaponry that she suddenly gains knowledge and proficiency in. CD is bringing back everyone's favorite Lara, the one we all loved and thought gone forever. She's returned to using her dual pistols, but much more importantly, she's given up the cityscape for more familiar territory.

In Legend, Lara returns to the wilderness, caves, and ruins which she is so famous for exploring. They won't be the same caves and ruins she once traversed, however. CD has tossed the old templates out the window and rebuilt the world from the underground up. The new textures are brilliant, and the water effects are on par with anything seen from recent development cycles. Lara herself has been shaped up, so to speak, with an entirely new form. Her measurements have changed a bit, stopping her ever-expanding bust size from further "enhancements".

READ MORE (http://pc.gamerfeed.com/gf/previews/537/)

yesrushdt
27th Sep 2005, 23:36
I was going to post this article but you beat me to it. :) Nice to see some positive press on the game!

John Carter
27th Sep 2005, 23:38
That is a highly positive preview, good to read them after AoD's unrelieved litany of doom.

General consensus in the gaming press has been uniformly positive, I don't recall reading a single negative preview, and what little we've seen of the game looks great!

Trinity34
27th Sep 2005, 23:40
I was going to post this article but you beat me to it.

Just remember, the Eidos forum has all the late-breaking Legend news so keep stopping back. :D :p hehe.

dhama
28th Sep 2005, 08:50
That is a highly positive preview, good to read them after AoD's unrelieved litany of doom.

But isn't that how we saw AOD before it's release?

I like what I see so far, but that's how I saw AOD leading up to it's release. The only thing that'll covince me totally is seeing and playing the finished game.

Mangar The Dark
29th Sep 2005, 14:03
But isn't that how we saw AOD before it's release?

I like what I see so far, but that's how I saw AOD leading up to it's release. The only thing that'll covince me totally is seeing and playing the finished game.

Exactly.
That's the one thing that has me a bit skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I love just about everything I'm hearing about Legend, but by the same token, I loved everything I read about AOD before its release, too. "Role playing elements!" Cool!! "Dialogue with NPCs!" Excellent! "A very in-depth and complex storyline!" Awesome! "TWO playable characters!!" Fantastic!! And then AOD hit the shelves and somehow it just didn't live up to the hype. The role playing elements were feeble at best, the dialogues weren't really as compelling as they should have been, and Kurtis Trent was ok, but not quite the thrill I had hoped for (I was imagining a "Project Eden" style system, in which you control Kurtis AND Lara together to solve tougher puzzles-- that might have been cool.)

I didn't hate AOD the way some people did, and I really had no problems with the controls (to me they felt pretty much the same as they always did), and I was lucky enough to have everything work with very few glitches, But it just didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped it would. Actually, I loved the beginning of it-- I had a great time sneaking through the Louvre (and its sewer system) and exploring the tombs beneath, but by the time I got to the sanitarium levels, I just lost interest and just abandoned it. I still never completed it, and overall, it ended up being a bit of a disappointment after having such high expectations (I think if it hadn't been hyped quite so much, I would have enjoyed it more.)

So as much as I want to believe that Legend will be the breakthrough TR game that brings back the thrill I had when I first played the original, I'm looking at it with reserved optimism.

yesrushdt
29th Sep 2005, 14:40
Exactly.
So as much as I want to believe that Legend will be the breakthrough TR game that brings back the thrill I had when I first played the original, I'm looking at it with reserved optimism.

I think Eidos has learned from their mistake of rushing AOD out. They seem to be letting Crystal Dynamics take their time with Legend to make sure it's a high quality game with great control and no bugs. I'm not expecting it to be quite as good as the first two games in the series (my favorites), but think it will better than 4-6 at least. Crystal Dynamics + the assitance of Toby Gard= greatness. :)

WraithStar
29th Sep 2005, 14:54
Despite the hype for AOD, I had a bad feeling about it because it sounded like they were attempting to do too much at once. I did enjoy AOD, but only because I bought it cheap and didn't have such high expectations for it. Legend, however, is a different story. I feel like the hype has merit. It basically sounds like they have the engine/graphics from Defiance (which was beautiful), the camera from Soul Reaver 2 (which worked very well), and intuitive acrobatics similar to some other popular games. It doesn't sound like they are attempting to do more than humanly possible in a single game. It sounds like they are taking the best aspects of a wide variety of games and adapting them specially for Lara. Add to that the fact that Crystal has written very good stories for games in the past, and I trust that the Legend story will not disappoint, either :)

John Carter
29th Sep 2005, 17:03
The significant difference between the hype for AoD and the advertising for Legend is that people, including people here, have actually already SEEN what is done thus far on Legend. True, nobody's played it yet, and it isn't ready for play, but in print and the noninteractive demo there is a great degree of specificity that wasn't there, beyond glorious catchphrases, with the AoD pre-release brohouha.

Mangar The Dark
29th Sep 2005, 17:13
I think Eidos has learned from their mistake of rushing AOD out. They seem to be letting Crystal Dynamics take their time with Legend to make sure it's a high quality game with great control and no bugs.

Not to sound too cynical, but AOD wasn't exactly rushed out either. Remember how many delays it experienced? I still remember these boards being filled with people screaming "ARGH! They delayed it again!!!"

I'm not expecting it to be quite as good as the first two games in the series (my favorites), but think it will better than 4-6 at least.

I'd be thrilled if it outdoes Last Revelation! That was the best of the series!

Mangar The Dark
29th Sep 2005, 17:17
While on the topic of AOD...

Does anyone know if Legend will feature dialogues again? Being a huge fan of LucasArts graphic adventures (and the Commodore 64's "Law Of The West" :D ) I really liked the idea of having multiple choice dialogues, but I just felt the way they implemented it in AOD didn't work so well. I'd be happy to see them bring back that gameplay element with better implementation.