PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children

fneh
17th Sep 2005, 19:08
well it's official: It's utterly AMAZING!!!!!

go Reno! GO GO GO!!!

blincoln
17th Sep 2005, 22:44
I agree. And I've never played the game =).

Riovanes
17th Sep 2005, 23:32
I agree. And I've never played the game =).

Blasphemy!

While far from the best in the series (VI Japan/III US the best hands-down, IMO), it's still a fine addition to the FF dynasty, and very much worth a play or twelve.

blincoln
18th Sep 2005, 06:44
Yeah, I'm going to track it down eventually. But I know the ancient cinematics are going to break the immersion for me. I watched the Aeris dying one last night. All I could think of was this time last year when I was out having dinner with a friend, and she kept dropping this little Lego guy into her tea and giggling uncontrollably.

rabban
18th Sep 2005, 08:12
never really enjoyed the series...the quality of the textures, the reflections, the particle effects, the fights all of that is incredible in this movie...but it reminds me of all the shinto inspired anime i've seen before it...and worse the power rangers!!

garbagefanuk
18th Sep 2005, 09:57
Blasphemy!

While far from the best in the series (VI Japan/III US the best hands-down, IMO), it's still a fine addition to the FF dynasty, and very much worth a play or twelve.

Nah, 6 was good but not the best, Kefka was too annoying to be evil. I liked 8 or 10 the best. I never really decided.

I enjoyed it AC, the fight scenes were blinding fast though, had to watch it like 4 times to take it all in A number of let downs but they were few and far between

rabban
18th Sep 2005, 12:50
still looked like the power rangers to me.

garbagefanuk
18th Sep 2005, 16:57
I shan't ask where that came from :)

fneh
18th Sep 2005, 18:58
Nah, 6 was good but not the best, Kefka was too annoying to be evil. I liked 8 or 10 the best. I never really decided.

I enjoyed it AC, the fight scenes were blinding fast though, had to watch it like 4 times to take it all in A number of let downs but they were few and far between

I can't say I like 6 that much personally. it OK I guess. just nothign special. Chrono trigger was better than the first 6 FF titles

blincoln
18th Sep 2005, 21:10
It was on a huge FF fan site. I can't imagine it's escaped Square Enix's notice.

rabban
18th Sep 2005, 23:33
yeah but that can't help but go gahgah over it...looks beautiful!!!

Ren's Cat
18th Sep 2005, 23:42
The story was cliche, but the action was well-done, if edging on over-the-top (even for FF). The only things I didn't like were the quick transitions in some scenes, and the sudden pauses in the background music every so often.

Quibbling aside though, nice film. Thumbs up, Squenix. Good job on the numerous little bits of fan-service, too.

rabban
19th Sep 2005, 04:05
it's so strange i must be thinking or typing too fast, i keep skipping words...

Riovanes
19th Sep 2005, 15:59
I can't say I like 6 that much personally. it OK I guess. just nothign special. Chrono trigger was better than the first 6 FF titles

CT was an amazing game (still have my original copy - I can't believe that game is over a decade old now), but you cannot rightly compare it to the FF series. They both come from differing styles of RPG, specifically with regard to combat modality and magic systems - so comparing one to another is a bit like the old oranges and apples addage.

As for Kefka being obnoxious - well, yes, he was - but that was largely because he was insane - and it was his insanity that made him a complex and fiendish nemesis.

fneh
19th Sep 2005, 18:15
CT was an amazing game (still have my original copy - I can't believe that game is over a decade old now), but you cannot rightly compare it to the FF series. They both come from differing styles of RPG, specifically with regard to combat modality and magic systems - so comparing one to another is a bit like the old oranges and apples addage.

As for Kefka being obnoxious - well, yes, he was - but that was largely because he was insane - and it was his insanity that made him a complex and fiendish nemesis.

they both use the same ATB system. The abliities are VERY similar. Square could have easily named it FF7 and all it would've needed was someone named Cid. It even has the masamune!

Riovanes
21st Sep 2005, 14:33
they both use the same ATB system. The abliities are VERY similar. Square could have easily named it FF7 and all it would've needed was someone named Cid. It even has the masamune!

Spoken like someone who never gave the games the full play they deserved.

First off, the ATB systems from CT and FFVI are NOT the same, and I'm uncertain as to why you even make that claim. So they have the same "ready bar," system - that's true of most RPGs from about 1995 forward, and a few even before that. If you're going to make the claim that an ATB readiness bar likens CT to FFVI, then you'd have to say that other, completely unrelated games like Xenogears are ALSO the same game as FFVI - sorry, that argument's bunk.

Additionally, ATB is just a fancy way for Squenix to say, "hey look, this is ours!" The truth is that most RPGs utilize a basic form of ATB, in that you can be attacked, cured, whatever whilst browsing a menu. Once again, your argument has a hole in it there.

Now as for why those systems are different from each other, FFVI enforced the "wait" system unless you deliberately got into the menu and changed it - CT gave you the option from the start. Things get bigger from there. Because of the battle menu navigation system differences between the games and the stronger implementation of the SNES controller scheme in CT, using ATB in CT was much easier and more fluid than in FFVI. I could cite a few other examples, but it occurs to me that this is already getting fairly long-winded.

The "Masamune" comment was, I'm sorry, asinine. The Masamune is actually a piece of Japanese lore - a legendary katana (pronounced "gah-tah-nah" for those of you whose sole experience with the weapon has been crappy ninja movies and the like) forged for a heavenly warrior - and is therefore not anything even approaching an original intellectual property for Squenix. In case you failed to notice this, the Masamune appears in several other games as well, such as the Suikoden series, Bushido Blade, the Soul Calibur series (a weapon for Mitsurugi), etc., etc. ad nauseam. Once again, are you going to tell me that Soul Calibur could just as easily be called, "Final Fantasy: The Fighter!," because it has the Masamune in it? Sorry, that doesn't hold water.

Now, as far as which game is actually better - that's down to a difference of opinion, and I won't argue opinion with you. You have the right to yours, just as I have the right to mine. However, if you claim that the writing on CT was better than FFVI, then you are, I'm sorry, mistaken, and clearly have not yet looked into the complexity of writing a work in which 16 main characters are clearly and strongly supported, each with a well-developed backstory and clearly defined personality versus that of writing a story with only 7 main characters (6 if you off Magus when you get the chance). Additionally, FFVI was longer, had a more complex plot, featured a greater variety of events and plot twists, etc., etc., and so on.

CT was an amazing game, and I put it on equal footing with FFVI in my own library chiefly because it was such a joy to play - and when it first came out, I was just 14 and still socially awkward enough that I preferred games to people. That game is part of my childhood.

But so is FFVI.

And to tell me that either of them are crap... Well, obviously you've seen my reaction.

Fanboy, away!

Kazame
22nd Sep 2005, 03:36
...Amen. ^_^

fneh
22nd Sep 2005, 21:04
I didn't compare CT to FF6. I compared it to the FF series as a whole.

I'm not even gonna waste my time on the rest. Your first sentence was enough to put me off reading the entire post thanks.

Umah Bloodomen
23rd Sep 2005, 01:42
Let's watch the antagonism, please. We don't need any melodrama.

Thanks. :)

fneh
23rd Sep 2005, 16:39
ok so I'm on here and not about to go to bed for once so I'll make a proper reply for you:

- I didn't say I didn't like either game. I said CT was BETTER (which it is :P) than FF6 (and 1-5 from what I've played of them)
- Final Fantasy is one of the only game series' I even play at all anymore. I'm somewhat obsessed (hence why I started this topic and one about FF11 at the same time)

Why chrono Trigger can be considered a Final Fantasy:

- elemental magic. all have 3 levels (IE fire 2)
- PHOENIX DOWNS
- The world map
- The battle system is exactly like an FF one
- The menu screens have a shockingly similar layout.
and:
- chrono trigger was released on the FINAL FANTASY collection by Squaresoft :P::P
- Airship to fly around the WORLD MAP

seriously, besides the lack of Cid (which could easily be changed) there's no reason you cannot argue it COULD have been named Final Fantasy 7 by square......

now can you tell me why you went off on one when not even provoked please rio? Saying I said something I didn't even say at all too? (and regarding the masamune: I already knew that thank you. I realise I shouldn't have really said that at all but I've been somewhat tired from work and only come on here right before I go to bed)

garbagefanuk
25th Sep 2005, 21:45
Wow, whiney kids. Come on children, just games. No need to get that wound up in a comparison of 2 different games

Riovanes
26th Sep 2005, 16:40
now can you tell me why you went off on one when not even provoked please rio? Saying I said something I didn't even say at all too? (and regarding the masamune: I already knew that thank you. I realise I shouldn't have really said that at all but I've been somewhat tired from work and only come on here right before I go to bed)

Who was going off on you?

Was it me?

Oh, I keep forgetting - authorial intent and audience interpretation are diametrically opposed.

I wasn't getting on you personally - I was getting on your comparison of CT to FFVI. Please understand that there is a difference between a personal attack and an attack on an idea. One of the reasons we can't seem to maintain a serious discussion around here for more than five or six replies without getting the thread locked is that people assume that everything that is said in response to their reply is a comment on them personally.

It is not.

Get. Over. It.

Here on the in-tar-webz, you'll run into all types, from folks who really know what they're talking about to 12-year old kids who want to prove they can play with the grownups. Be that as it may, this is still an entertainment medium, and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously. If you live, breathe and die by what your WoW buddies think of you, then perhaps you should seriously re-evaluate your self-concept.

And garbagefan - kindly don't refer to me as a child. While I can act childish at times, odds are good that I'm older than you.

So there. :p

fneh
26th Sep 2005, 19:29
Who was going off on you?

Was it me?

I never said you were going off on me. I said you were going off on ONE. It's slang. IE getting worked up

It's ironic that your post is doing the exact thing you said I was doing (which I was not)...

Umah Bloodomen
26th Sep 2005, 19:30
Ahem... this discussion is closed until I receive three PM's from the individuals who can't seem to understand "knock it off", convincing me that they will so the thread can be reopened.

Thanks. ;)