PDA

View Full Version : How will Legend compare to Galleon?

Mangar The Dark
14th Sep 2005, 15:38
I'm in the middle of playing Galleon (Toby Gard's "other" game, for those who aren't familiar), and it got me thinking-- how will Legend compare to it? Obviously "Galleon" has many TR elements... basically, it IS Tomb Raider, but with a pirate instead of Lara, and with more story elements and character interaction worked into the gameplay. Now, some of the things I'm seeing about Legend sound a bit like Galleon, particularly the idea of having fewer, but larger, levels than other TR games. Galleon consists of just six islands, but they're all quite large.
Maybe it's not the most thought provoking thread, but since Galleon is the last TR style game we've seen Toby make, I just thought it might be interesting to consider what influence it could have on Legend's design.
Any thoughts?

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Sep 2005, 16:06
I absolutely adored Galleon :thumbsup: , and it was a very Tomb Raider experience for me, as well. If only it had been available for PC!!! It was something that was entirely entertaining, and beautifully designed, and altogether one of the funnest games of the year. The characters were fabulously real to me, which proves again that it's not how real to life they look, but how they act, that's the important part. It was a complete pleasure in every way. Especially the Golden Cat Statue secret. ;)

The controls were intuitive.
The graphics, beautiful.
The characters, interesting and engaging.
The Hero, very heroic.
The beautiful maidens, lovely.
The story was gripping.
The environments completely explorable.
The secrets.....ahhhhhh, the secrets. :D

I think I should go play it again. ;)

Mangar The Dark
14th Sep 2005, 16:17
Good to see such positive words about Galleon! I'm only on the second island right now, but so far so good! If Legend ends up playing like a better looking version of Galleon, I'll be happy.
One of the things I'm particularly enjoying about Galleon is the constant sense of story and characterization-- you always feel like you have a purpose, and you care about the characters who travel with you. It rarely feels like I'm just "working my way through a level." It would be great if Legend incorporates these elements.

yesrushdt
14th Sep 2005, 17:28
Galleon was definitely a joy to play. The enormous size and design of the levels was second to none. The difficulty of grabbing that one grub (in the second to last level I believe) is about the only problem I have with the game. I wasn't able to continue without it and I've been trying to play through the game again (not using any grubs).

I think Legend will be somewhat similar albeit with better graphics (of course) and combat system. Hopefully Toby will be able to give TLR some more of his "magic touch" with the extra time they've had to develop it. :thumbsup:

Jsc
16th Sep 2005, 19:47
Galleon was definitely a joy to play. The enormous size and design of the levels was second to none. The difficulty of grabbing that one grub (in the second to last level I believe) is about the only problem I have with the game. I wasn't able to continue without it and I've been trying to play through the game again (not using any grubs).

I think Legend will be somewhat similar albeit with better graphics (of course) and combat system. Hopefully Toby will be able to give TLR some more of his "magic touch" with the extra time they've had to develop it. :thumbsup:

Yeah..... I agree