PDA

View Full Version : The Legacy of Kain Campaign Setting: Work In Progress

SoulReaver86
14th Sep 2005, 13:25
I believe I said a while ago that I was working on a D&D Campaign Setting for tLoK. It requires alot of testing, and alot of expansion in many areas too numerous to mention. Anyone that has something like the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting, or the Star Wars Roleplaying Game books knows what I'm on about. I am however getting on it, the stuff I'm focusing on at the moment is BO2 stuff as that era seems to hold the most vampire roleplaying opportunities next to Kains empire or something. Here is what I have thus far: (input is welcome)

The Legacy of Kain Campaign Setting

The Legacy of Kain Campaign Setting makes use of wound points and vitality points as in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

Time Periods:

The Ancients
The Guardians
The Pillars
The Empire

Vampire Age Categories:

Fledgeling 0-15
Young 16-50
Juvenile 5 1-200
Adult 201-600
Old 601-1000
‘Ancient’ 1001+

Fledgling: All vampiric weaknesses.

Young: Sunlight weakness is lessened, the vampire can now withstand sunlight indefinitely. However the vampire can only make partial actions and its’ fast healing will not be active for as long as it is in sunlight.

Juvenile: Rain now only effects the vampire as sunlight does a young+ vampire.

Adult: +1 Dark Gift.

Old: +1 Dark Gift.

‘Ancient’: +1 Dark Gift.

Dark Gifts:

Alternate Form
Berserk
Charm
Climb
Fury
Jump
Telekinesis

Alternate Form:
Lv 1 Bat and Peasant Form.
Lv 2 Wolf and Dire Bat Form.
Lv 3 Dire Wolf and Noble Form.

Berserk:
Lv 1 Haste, Hit Dice/rounds a day, activated as a free action, also grants +1 extra attack at highest base attack bonus.
Lv 2 Improved Haste, Hit Dice/2 rounds a day, activated as a free action, also grants +2 extra attacks at highest base attack bonus.
Lv 3 Greater Haste as Haste, Hit Dice/4 rounds a day, activated as a free action, also grants +3 extra attacks at highest base attack bonus.

Charm:
Lv 1 Charm Monster Gaze Attack.
Lv 2 Detect Thoughts Gaze.
Lv 3 Dominate Monster Gaze.

Climb:
Lv 1 +10 to Climb checks, may always take 10.
Lv 2 Spider Climb at half-speed.
Lv 3 Spider Climb at normal speed.

Fury:
Lv 1 Rage 3+Cha Modifier in rounds, costs 1 rage point, has 1 rage point.
Lv 2 Greater Rage, costs 2 rage points, has 3 rage points.
Lv 3 Mighty Rage, costs 3 rage points, has 6 rage points.

Jump:
Lv 1 +10 Jump checks, may always take 10.
Lv 2 +15 Jump checks, 2 times max distance.
Lv 3 +20 Jump checks, no max distance.

Telekinesis: (need to add a limit of somekind)
Lv 1 as Psionic Power (forget the name, the one that just moves stuff, like mage hand)
Lv 2 as Psionic Power Telekinetic Thrust
Lv 3 as Psionic Power Telekinetic Maneuvar

Glyph Armour

When a vampire is within a 20ft radius of the wearer the glyphs inscribed on the armour glow yellow. This acts like the wearer has improved uncanny dodge like a 16th level rogue. It is a +3 enhancement bonus to armour only.

Wave Blade

Any bladed, slashing, sword-like weapon can be made as a wave blade. They are always of masterwork quality and the weapons critical threat range is increased by 1 (e.g. 19-20 * 18-20). This increases the cost of the base weapon by 500gp.

Note: This sort of weapon isn’t made anymore, only the ancient vampires made them, meaning most are also magical.

Nosgothic Vampires

As standard D&D Vampires except as noted here:

-Attacks: no slam, 2 claws, 1d4 each, can flurry of blows as a 1st Lvl monk.
-No create spawn.
-evolution process.
-dark gifts.
-minor telekinesis (as mage hand) at will.
-telekinetic blood drain, as blood drain except only usable on a dying or -dead opponent and up to 5ft away.
-no spider climb, it is now a dark gift
-blood thirst, lose Hit Dice in subdual hit points (this is the exception to the undead rule) every 30 mins, once on 0 subdual or lower the vampire goes into bat form if it has it. Now the vampire follows normal revival rules, except that it won’t start healing until it is feed blood.
-gaseous form is less powerful, the vampire retains it’s shape in this form so it can’t float under doors, through small cracks, etc. Objects like a grate or gate however can be breached with this ability.
-when the blood of a dead vampire is drunk the drinker randomly gains a dark gift that the vampire had, this only improves your dark gift by 1 Lv so if you didn’t have it you now have Lv 1 in it. If you already have 3 Lv’s in it then nothing happens. Note: this is a one time thing for any dead vampire.
-gain +1 Dark Gift Lv every 4 Hit Dice.
-no children of the night
-no dominate person, it is now a dark gift
-no polymorph, it is now a dark gift

Classes

as per normal at the moment, but I will have to adjust spellcasters for a spell point system.

Spells

to be determined, more then likely no-where as many as standard D&D

Riovanes
14th Sep 2005, 15:51
That's actually a reasonably good workup for a basic campaign scheme.

My only real question at this point is how you plan on working the age system - unless you're going to jump at the end of each session (or after a series of sessions culminating in a major battle or somesuch), you're going to have a lot of players who will want to go the munchkin route and design an ancient vampire right from the outset. Is there a system in place, or are you still working on that?

SoulReaver86
14th Sep 2005, 23:44
That's actually a reasonably good workup for a basic campaign scheme.

My only real question at this point is how you plan on working the age system - unless you're going to jump at the end of each session (or after a series of sessions culminating in a major battle or somesuch), you're going to have a lot of players who will want to go the munchkin route and design an ancient vampire right from the outset. Is there a system in place, or are you still working on that?

Hrm, the only thing I can think of is BO1 and Blood Fountains, they could perhaps artificially age you, but would never grant a dark gift. Yeah, thats a real problem, hrm. Perhaps as they level they get some of those things? like every 4 HD they move up one age category, and only up to young.

The Adult + stuff should only really apply to NPC's, but the BO2 era demands that PC Vampires start off at a higher age category (they can't be made anymore and Vorador is lazy)

Hrm, Vampire as class levels... its been done with other monsters... hrm that makes more sense methinks, gotta get my hands on Savage Species

SoulReaver86
16th Sep 2005, 01:56
I have decided that dark gifts should be done like force powers in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, as skills in other words with feats as requirements to getting certain skills (and representing each vampires unique gifts).

The_Sourcerer
21st Sep 2005, 04:19
Nosgoth Campaign Setting in Progress (http://www.overmynd.com/nosgoth/index.php)

Many have had the idea. Some have started developing it. A collaborative effort would be good.

soothsayer
21st Sep 2005, 15:17
You are making a couple of odd changes to LoK.
The elder god is bigger than collosal, and he is imobile, and invisable.
There are no gnomes or half elves in Nosgoth.

Also, you don't have any cities of the east, You might want to add what was William's kingdom.