PDA

View Full Version : The Butterfly Effect

Omega
12th Sep 2005, 23:27
I watched this film last night, and was extremely impressed with it - pleased that I'd dipped in to my savings to get it.

It's a brilliant film that, even though it involves time travel, still manages to wrap up every little thread it makes; unlike other time travel films *cough*Donnie Darko*cough*.

Has anybody else seen it?

soothsayer
13th Sep 2005, 00:31
It's great theater, but not really completely airtight.
Like if he wasn't supposed to go to prison in the first timeline, than why did he draw that in kinder garden, and why was his father strangling him?
It was more of a surrealist piece to me, not like LoK. :D

Omega
13th Sep 2005, 00:51
His father was trying to kill him, so that the "curse" would end with him (as he says).

As for the prison; "first timeline"?

There was only one, which came full circle!

soothsayer
13th Sep 2005, 01:22
there were several timelines, each time he went back a new one was created, it ended in a timeline where he and that family never met, how is that full circle? And how exactly did those stigmata appear to the prisoner, wouldn't it be like he always had them?
Not vary sensible, that's why it's surrealism.

Omega
13th Sep 2005, 12:12
Okay, I meant that theres only one timeline because the blackouts he had as a kid are explained in the future, same when I said it all came full circle - because his blackouts were explained.

And how exactly did those stigmata appear to the prisoner, wouldn't it be like he always had them?

Hm, good point. I've been trying to think of an answer for this, but can't.

The only thing I can think of is that he didn't change the past until that point, so when he went back and stabbed his hands, the change was sudden and as such, appeared so in the present.

Umah Bloodomen
13th Sep 2005, 17:45
I thought the film was utter crap, personally. I had a hard time taking Ashton Kutcher seriously and while the film had potential in the plot department (as the altering-time concept itself is fascinating), it really didn't deliver for me. **shrugs**