PDA

View Full Version : Any news on patch 2 and gameplay changes?

Hengist_Sharpe
12th Sep 2005, 09:31
... Or is patch one, the only one we'll see?

Wiltshire Tony
13th Sep 2005, 11:45
This is as far as this games ever going to go.

Stillborn? not really, but it's coughin up blood!

Hengist_Sharpe
13th Sep 2005, 15:14
This is as far as this games ever going to go.

Hi Tony,

How do you know that? Has there been an official statement (that I've missed) saying that there would only be one patch?

Wiltshire Tony
14th Sep 2005, 08:07
No, just my own thoughts based on the lack of dev comment/response/interaction and length of time the game has been out.

Hengist_Sharpe
14th Sep 2005, 10:59
That's what I was beggining to think also, hence the reason I started this thread.

I guess I should have expressed myself better as I was hoping that the moderators, who appear to have contact with the Dev's, could forward this on and pursue this on behalf of the community, in the hope of receiving an official response as to whether Pyro have any more plans to release a second patch aimed at gameplay corrections?

Wiltshire Tony
14th Sep 2005, 11:47
I sincerly hope that your optimism pays off, but for me, well I wont be holding my breath.

It was a good game that had huge potential. I am hoping that another dev team spot the mistakes that Pyro have made and produce a similar product with full dev/mod support. After all these days isn't that how games survive/grow?

Mike_B
14th Sep 2005, 12:50
with full dev/mod support. After all these days isn't that how games survive/grow?

I take it you haven't checked out this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=52493). Basicly based on the source code that Pyro released there now is a unit stats editor, they also released a lot of source code so it would be possible to create an editor for the MNG files which hold a lot of data. I'm translated the original documentation file to English and am busy translating the comments in the rest of the source code so that our site programmer and other people as well will have an easier task to create an editor.

And yes that's how games survive, by doing something.

Wiltshire Tony
14th Sep 2005, 15:22
Yeah, Ive seen the thread...............

Hengist_Sharpe
14th Sep 2005, 16:31
I take it you haven't checked out this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=52493). Basicly based on the source code that Pyro released there now is a unit stats editor, they also released a lot of source code so it would be possible to create an editor for the MNG files which hold a lot of data. I'm translated the original documentation file to English and am busy translating the comments in the rest of the source code so that our site programmer and other people as well will have an easier task to create an editor.

And yes that's how games survive, by doing something.
I'm glad to see that you've read this thread @m.

As a moderator and somone who has had previous communications routes to the Pyro Dev' team, could you please enquire on behalf of the community, whether or not Pyro are planning any second patch that, hopefully, concentrates on gameplay corrections and give us an official response?

Thanks for pursuing this matter (if you can be bothered) on behalf of the community.
I (and I'm sure a lot of the other IG community members) look forward to reading their response from/via you.

MattD
14th Sep 2005, 23:19
Hello everyone,

If you don't know who I am, I'm Eidos' Online Community Representative.

Bascially, its my job to be Mr. Mediator between the community and the developers. There was a period of time where this role was not fulfilled, and @m himself took on some tasks of communicating with Eidos staff.

His efforts are very well appreciated by us. We apologize that there wasn't an employee to take on that task for him, and for the flack that he has in the past recieved for having to be the bearer of bad news.

As for information about a new patch, I know that there is no official announcment of one at this time. This does not mean that there will never be one, and also does not mean that one is sure to happen. It just means there is no official plan for or against one at this time.

If that statement changes, you will be the first people to know.

Hope that information helps,

Wiltshire Tony
15th Sep 2005, 08:21
What information?

You havn't actually told us anything!

A patch might happen but then again it might not.

Awesome PR

Hengist_Sharpe
15th Sep 2005, 11:06
As for information about a new patch, I know that there is no official announcment of one at this time.

Thanks for the reply MattD,

The point of this thread was that we also already knew that there was no official announcement, and we wanted somebody to ask the guys at Pyro, if they had any plans to make a second patch aimed at gameplay corrections.

On behalf of the community, could you please ask the Pyro development team for an official response as to whether they plan to make a second patch aimed at gameplay corrections?

Thanks.

Gelatinous Cube
16th Sep 2005, 18:28
Dammit who deleted my bump? The question above deserves anwering, not ignoring.

Mike_B
16th Sep 2005, 18:32
The questions was posted and I'm sure it will be answered I however did not see a reason for a post "bump" with solely that purpose, it wouldn't have gone by unnoticed. If you however want to discuss this further you should contact me via pm.

Thanks.

Xenophon
16th Sep 2005, 21:52
Mega LoL...

Eidos:mad:

MattD
21st Sep 2005, 00:58

The point of this thread was that we also already knew that there was no official announcement, and we wanted somebody to ask the guys at Pyro, if they had any plans to make a second patch aimed at gameplay corrections.

On behalf of the community, could you please ask the Pyro development team for an official response as to whether they plan to make a second patch aimed at gameplay corrections?

Thanks.

I understand that the statement is vague. But I can only give you information that I have. From my contact with them, there is not an official statement regarding a patch being worked on, or being completely out of the question.

If I were to give you information that hasn't been finalized, then there would be very bad repercussions should the opposite end up actually happening.

If this statement changes, then I will be sure to inform you all.

Gelatinous Cube
21st Sep 2005, 05:47
I understand that the statement is vague. But I can only give you information that I have. From my contact with them, there is not an official statement regarding a patch being worked on, or being completely out of the question.

If I were to give you information that hasn't been finalized, then there would be very bad repercussions should the opposite end up actually happening.

And what of Hengists' request to ask the Pyro team of their intentions? Any hope of that?

Hengist_Sharpe
24th Sep 2005, 10:05

I appreciate that your hands are somewhat tied by the corporation suits that pay your wages, and you cannot pursue this matter further.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply.

Sir Crow
24th Sep 2005, 17:24

In your title it states that you are a community representative? Does this mean you represent the community or Eidos or even Pyro? If you are supposed to represent the community then could you please do that and answer sensibly and not like a politician. We have all paid good money for this game and wish it to succeed before it dies like Cossacks II. If there is no plan at all for a decent patch then have the guts to tell us so that we can move on to something better and not buy anything from Pyro again. I still can't believe the best Napoleonic game out there as far as playability goes is still NTW1 which is a mod for MTW/VI and it's free! There web site offers excellent support that puts Eidos and Pyro to shame. Don't you feel ashamed that a mere mod can out shine your performance both in game and support wise? I would. More and more software houses don't give a damn about it's customers, all we want is what we paid for!

GenMoore
25th Sep 2005, 08:53
Yep the game is good overall, but a patch is allso needed, as stated above.

Please make Pyro understand, we need this patch :) .

I still dabble with the game(ie;still on me computer), but It needs sorting. :(

ytareh
25th Sep 2005, 18:44
Ive tried recently to play every available Napoleonic era pc game(or mod)having gotten a taste for the era from this game.Nobody could dispute that IG is the obvious starting point for a fabulous game but it needs some gameplay refinements.There are obvious discrepancies the most glaring for me being the fact that cannons can only hit as little as 20/30m further than some muskets/rifles.There is a lot of interest/money to be made in this game Pyro/Eidos.There are ALWAYS people viewing these forums esp. the modifying one at any hour of the day or night.If you get the few requests sorted you will remain THE Napoleonic era game(and I think people are tired of WW2 games-I came to this game from WW2 flight sims)I do not think the forthcoming Histwar game will be a serious competitor UNLESS its gameplay is better.The majority of your work has already been done by enthusiasts here- Icanus,Godkin,Johann,Officer puppy etc. If you do not address the issues constantly discussed in these forums you may as well throw your money at the Lordz because their NTW2 will be a MAJOR thorn in your side.

Sir Crow
26th Sep 2005, 16:00
Couldn't of put it better m8. For me RTW is a better game than IG but it's not the ERA I want but as you say ntw2 will be No.1. The cynic in me suggests IG was a quick cash-in on the napoleonic community which is quite substancial. Pyro could do worse than totally dropping this game and give the code to the modders as it seems a decent patch is a bit beyond their expertise.

Gelatinous Cube
26th Sep 2005, 17:44
Couldn't of put it better m8. For me RTW is a better game than IG but it's not the ERA I want but as you say ntw2 will be No.1. The cynic in me suggests IG was a quick cash-in on the napoleonic community which is quite substancial. Pyro could do worse than totally dropping this game and give the code to the modders as it seems a decent patch is a bit beyond their expertise.

Then they couldn't milk it for all it's worth with a sequel. Or an expansion. :mad:

Sir Crow
26th Sep 2005, 22:47
You honestly think there will be a sequel or add-on? And more to the point would you buy it from Pyro if they didn't do a decnt patch?

Gelatinous Cube
27th Sep 2005, 00:12
You honestly think there will be a sequel or add-on? And more to the point would you buy it from Pyro if they didn't do a decnt patch?

The gamers who actually visit forums like these and know of the issues are, in fact, a very small percentage of the people who buy the game. If this game did well on the sales chart, it's expansion/seqiel will sell equally well. Indeed, if it offers enough improvement, people from this board who are not ignorant of the facts might even buy it.

It's an awful situation. There is nothing but the goodwill of the developers to motivate them to do better, as there are few financial reasons to motivate them.