PDA

View Full Version : TR moments you're fond of

SethKoopa
10th Sep 2005, 17:50
We've all been through scary and frightening moments, pet hates and such, but let's talk about what we love about the TR games. Which moments can you call forth that you're really fond of?

For me, exploring Lara's house is a curiously fulfilling experience. Especially in Tr2, for some reason.

The last revelation is my favourite game, so it's packed with moments I love. The Burial chambers - the Sacred lake - the Lost library - all are levels I'm fond of. Especially those latter two. The Temple of Horus was also a level I really love. A fitting climax. A bit confusing climax, true (why did the statue explode?), but a nice climax indeed. The water puzzle, the FMV, battling Set - all (yes, can I hear you say it?) I love.

MissLara2U
10th Sep 2005, 18:48
Venice. The waterways and that awesome speed boat jump.

Always Venice for me. :)

susan
10th Sep 2005, 19:59
For me:

Palace Midas, St. Francis's Folly and The Cistern in TR1.
All the under water levels in TR2, especially Wreck of the Maria Dora.
The London levels in TR3.
Climbing the pyramid in TR4, the Dead City levels and the Lost Library in TR4.

The last revelation is my favourite game, so it's packed with moments I love. The Burial chambers - the Sacred lake - the Lost library - all are levels I'm fond of. Especially those latter two. The Temple of Horus was also a level I really love. A fitting climax. A bit confusing climax, true (why did the statue explode?), but a nice climax indeed. The water puzzle, the FMV, battling Set - all (yes, can I hear you say it?) I love.Yes, TRLR is a finely put together game. I thought it was one of the best endings too, quite creepy and very tense. :D

Trinity34
10th Sep 2005, 22:08
My favorite game is TR3... probably because its the first TR game I played. Surprisingly it was the music and the environments that got me hooked. I remember the last room in the Temple Ruins with the bodies hanging in mid-air and the music playing..... :)

TR1 is one of my favorites too.

Sophia Leigh
11th Sep 2005, 11:23
TR1 was the first TR game I played and by the time I started City of Vilcambamba (Level 2) I was hooked. TR 5 is probably my favourite but I regularly change my mind, as they all have memorable levels that have just kept me asking for more.

I loved the Roman-Greco levels in TR1, the tibet levels in TR2, Nevada levels in TR3, the Alexandria levels in TR4, the VCI levels in TR5, The Louvre Galleries & the final battle with Eckhardt in TR6 - just to name a few :thumbsup:

LuxAngel
27th Sep 2005, 00:55
I'm listing mine in the order of my discovery of the games. : )

Tomb Raider 2:

Any place where the world seemed to open up into a large expanse... The huge spaces almost make me feel as if I could crawl into the screen ala Alice in Wonderland style...

1. The camera swinging way below Lara as she used her first zip-line. (Btw, now that I can use the Flight Patch, I replayed that bit just to make Lara float over that huge canyon. Amazing).

2. Bartolli's Hideout: I loved the quaint textures. Marble floors, decaying walls... an the chandeliers! It seemed that just when Lara should have been finished, there was yet another large and mysterious room to explore.

3. The Opera House. Hu-freakin'-mongous, and full of surprises EVERYWHERE!

4. TR2 Gold, first level: Ahhh, the transparent ice... the see-through floors, the precarious walkways!

Tomb Raider 1
1. The vines in the cave level, when Lara drops below to greet the bear... Divine.

2. St. Francis' Folly. The biggie. How can you not gasp when you see this for the first time?

http://larashots.com/images/1/st_francis500a.jpg

3. Sanctuary of the Scion! The enormous pyramid, the long shot where the camera shows Lara from a distance once she climbs to the top.... the invisible platform and her leap of faith to it. W. O. W.

http://larashots.com/images/1/sphinxdive500.jpg

Tomb Raider 3
1. Antarctica, when it snowed.

2. The London level where Lara explored a structure filled with water.

http://larashots.com/images/3/lovely500.jpg

Last Revelation
1. The Great Hypostyle Hall and the Sacred Lake. Absolutely beautiful.

2. Cleopatra's Palaces

3. The Great Pyamid!

Chronicles
1. Gallow's Tree, when Lara first steps out, and the sky is aflame. ~~Ahhh~~

http://larashots.com/images/5/gallowsflames.jpg

My favorite levels are the VCI bits, though none gave me a feeling of awe. Strange.

Angel of Darkness

1. Lara wandering in Madame Carvier's apartment. Weird? I dunno, I derived a twisted sense of satsifaction to be able to snoop around, open cabinets, etc. The interaction with the various objects & settings was delightful!

2. Le Serpent Rouge. The lights, the music... Great ambience!

3. Louvre Galleries (first time). Lasers everywhere. My kinda game.

4. Tomb of the Ancients, (the open area). Magnificent.

5. Galleries Under Siege. The green gas everywhere was spectacular. I loved the added pressure of the limited time to retrieve the masks.

6. VonCroy's Apartment. (It was the snooping thing again). The textures and objects were extremely well done.

7. Bio-Research Facility

8. Aquatic Research Area

Kwazak
27th Sep 2005, 01:44
My favorite game is TR3... probably because its the first TR game I played. Surprisingly it was the music and the environments that got me hooked.

The atmosphere and sound in the jungle levels were incredible, by far my favotite levels. I renember after you finished the first India level you'd get the cut sceene of the crazy person talking abou randy and rory whatever, I used to go on long walks in the forest alone and re act that sceene (I was a rem).

Anywho for me, it's Tomb Raider 1 in around the 5th level where she steped on some hand and turned to gold (was it a secret?), I was shocked and will always renember that. TR1 is the first game i've tryed to play wthout cheating my way through it and I never thought something that cool would be on it.
I'm stuck on that level right now.

tomb_raiding
27th Sep 2005, 20:00
Your post brings back priceless memories Lux Angel :)

The Waterfall in the first level of the South Pacific episode in TR3, where you could get a good view of the distant dark jungle, is one of my favorite TR experiences, there's alot more, but my memory fails me since I haven't played TR in 2 years...

SethKoopa
28th Sep 2005, 17:46
Anywho for me, it's Tomb Raider 1 in around the 5th level where she steped on some hand and turned to gold (was it a secret?)

I think you're referring to Palace Midas, where, if you step on the hand of Midas, you literally get turned to gold. But there's a way to beat that level. Here is a hint of mine to get you going:

In the room with the slots, read the diagram, and be creative in thinking.

Well said, LuxAngel, and you brought forth many moments that I forgot in my haste to start the thread. So let me run through that again to recover lost gems in my depths (hope I'm not being too poetic for you):

Tomb raider 1

Sanctuary of the Scion - When you fall into this humongous space filled with water, and find those statues of Set (I think) and Horus, side by side. It is one of my favourite moments in the entire series. I just felt so peaceful, so complete, when I found myself there. You are floating there, in deep water, and these two wonderful statues are there. It feels almost dream-like.

Tomb raider 3

Thames wharf - that cathedral valt filled with water - that's one of my favourite moments in TR3. I don't know what it is.

LuxAngel
28th Sep 2005, 22:45
Awww, I'm glad that my post resonated something with you, tomb_raiding, and Seth Koopa. :)

And about the Palace Midas, where Lara turns to gold: Anyone save a game at that spot just to replay it? It actually startled me the first time I saw it: Lara steps into the hand, and wha-------?? :eek: Then I just sorta went, "Whoaaaaa!" :D I played this first on the PS, which has the dreaded save crystals. I think there is a crystal not too far from this point; but it wasn't right next to the hand, so.....

While I'm at discussing those "wow" moments, I'd love a screenshot of the moment Lara enters a room in Last Revelation and meets the gold replica of herself. How awesome was that? : )

Mangar The Dark
30th Sep 2005, 17:44
So much of Last Revelation sticks with me as "favorite moments." Within a few seconds of playing it, I was loving the fact that they FINALLY really improved the graphics, and I still remember exploring the first level and being amazed at how cool the puzzles were ("holy crap! I'm not just pushing blocks around anymore!") So, yeah, a LOT of Last Revelation is a fond memory for me.

Of course, TR1 had its share of fond memories. The T-Rex is obviously one. The first time I got chased down a hall by a boulder is another.

TR2 really didn't have create any fond memories for me, just disappointment and frustration.

I think my fondest memory of TR3 was thinking, "Thank God it's better than TR2!" (seriously, that was a highlight for me.) Other than that, though, nothing particular stands out from that game.

Chronicles had a few highlights-- I enjoyed parts of the Rome levels and some of the submarine base. The elevator shaft sequence in VCI was pretty cool too. Overall though, I was a bit let down. It seemed like a weak follow-up to TLR. I guess my best memories from Chronicles came from the level editor and making my own levels.

AOD had some really cool moments-- I enjoyed the sewers under the Louvre and the Louvre itself. I also thought the digsite and the tombs were very well done, and the Strahov Complex. Actually, I liked almost all of the game until the Sanitarium levels. But the biggest thrill for me when playing AOD was the realization that it was nowhere near as bad as everyone had been saying, and the controls DID work fine!

So if I were to put the games in order: Last Revelation, TR1, AOD, TR5, TR3, TR2.

Roody
5th Oct 2005, 14:54
I love Bartoli's Hideout in TRII, especially the chandalier bit....
South Pacific in TR3, right at the beginning where you can explore the whole little ocean section.
I really enjoyed the stealth bit in the Louvre galleries first time round in AOD (I'm reading the da Vince Code right now, so it reminds me of that all the time!!).
Lara's Home in TR3 is pretty good... especially since you can get the pistols.
But best TR moment ever is the final level of TR2, (Home Sweet Home)... I always head straight for the ballroom and play the classical music... I love it! Then you just kick ass with the shotgun, it's such a pure action level. And Lara just kicks ass, even in a skimpy night gown lol :D! Then right at the end, when she says, "Don't you think you've seen enough?"!! Love it!

Roody
5th Oct 2005, 14:55
Almost forgot - I loved the Gallows Tree in Chronicles. I love that whole mysterious Irish folklore thing.

robson001
10th Oct 2005, 18:18
All of you brought me pretty cool memories...Tomb Raider is all about immersive gaming experience, and there are lots of these moments in each TR title. But one must agree with me that this feeling was much stronger in the first game (or, in the first game YOU played), and so it faded a little on the other ones.

Sophia Leigh
10th Oct 2005, 22:34
All of you brought me pretty cool memories...Tomb Raider is all about immersive gaming experience, and there are lots of these moments in each TR title. But one must agree with me that this feeling was much stronger in the first game (or, in the first game YOU played), and so it faded a little on the other ones.

For me that feeling was very strong when playing TR1, but it didn't fade, it just continued with each game :D