PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy needs to leave the World of XIII

bigtakilla
8th Jul 2012, 13:59
Who is with me in the belief that Final Fantasy NEEDS to leave the World of XIII. If you like it or not, isn't time we moved on and learned of other heroes adventures in a new setting? I'll be the first to admit, I completely dislike the universe represented by XIII, but it goes beyond that. Not since VII have we had so many spin off titles, and the sad thing is, unlike VII, all these sequels are supposed to "fix" what is wrong with XIII. I just don't care anymore!!! XIII's World is just so bland, and the creaters don't think 2 games are enough. Do we really need another game with the mindless leveling of crystalarium? Do we really have to explore the mythos of characters that half we don't even care about? Do we get new characters only to realize the same broken leveling system is in play? With all your research and development stating that everyone loved VI, VII, and XII, it's not that difficult to tell what your audience wants. We want a fully HD steam punk Final Fantasy. We want villains in huge armor that look threatining, not like Axel Rose. We want a variety of summons and magic that can be used by everyone, and multiple ways to learn them such as the esper, or materia system. We want heroes that don't look like grade school kids. We want a main guy that we would follow, (not emo, though I know Cloud is probably the most popular protagonist of Final Fantasy ever and he was emo, we gotta draw the line somewhere,). I wont get into the linearity thing, you know and fixed that, and we thank you. NOW LISTEN AND REALIZE THE RPG WORLD IS TIRED OF XIII!!!

Asuha
8th Jul 2012, 15:25
Honestly... I agree. It's time to move on from XIII - a set of games that didn't have very interesting characters or world to begin with. And now it seems we're getting a third one.

It's definitely time for something new. Where is Final Fantasy Versus XIII? Or Final Fantasy Type-0? I would gladly take those over a "XIII-3." If anything, another game in the vanilla 13 universe is going to just distance the fanbase at large even more.

member_10106331
8th Jul 2012, 15:38
I'm with you on most of what you said here.The only RPG I play is FINAL FANTASY,but I would like more from this francise.The EIDOLONS in XIII were weak.FFX they were a force to be reckoned with.The main characters seem to be emotionally stunted,which makes for a long drawn out game.I think that to make the series fresh,they need to introduce a group of characters that don't have all the baggage of the characters of previous fantasies.Give us a SUMMON that we could really interact with other than just to summon it and send it on it's way.Take a page from CAPCOM'S "CHAOS LEGiON" you control different "LEGIONAIRES" and they level up based on how often you use them.I think I just went off on the deep end here,but forgive me.As I stated earlier, i'm with you on most of what you said.

Asuha
8th Jul 2012, 15:44
Technically you could really get by without even using summons in XIII, or at least that's how I felt.

member_10628951
8th Jul 2012, 15:48
@Fire

I 100% agree. The fans are already demanding blood for announcing and releasing XIII-2 before Type-0 and Versus XIII. I want to be in the Versus XIII world. It seems so cool and interesting. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before we can visit that world.

Asuha
8th Jul 2012, 15:54
@Fire I 100% agree. The fans are already demanding blood for announcing and releasing XIII-2 before Type-0 and Versus XIII. I want to be in the Versus XIII world. It seems so cool and interesting. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before we can visit that world.

The world of Versus XIII is very interesting I think, being that it's a modern fantasy. It really reminds me of Final Fantasy VII and VIII - two games in which I absolutely adored the characters and world view.

member_10073902
8th Jul 2012, 16:17
Not since VII have we had so many spin off titles
Not quite accurate: there's been two additions to the IV franchise in the past few years.

tiaeltaru
8th Jul 2012, 17:43
Well, blame Nomura for lack of Versus.

And honestly at this point, we aren't getting Type-0 unless they port it to something other than PSP and release it here.

But again, XIII-3 would be a different team from the other games, and given the ending of XIII-2, and the various hints, if you think or thought they'd not do it I don't know what to say.

XIII-3 team =/= Versus team =/= XIV 2.0 team =/= XV team, which I 100% believe is being worked on at the moment.

member_10822883
8th Jul 2012, 17:48
Funny, XIII's world is the first world in a long time I've been enamored by in the series. Maybe since VIII. Reminds me a lot of VII, except I actually like XIII and its universe a lot, while VII remains mediocre at best for me. I'd like to see them tie up XIII with a third installment and leave it behind after that.

MagiusNecros
8th Jul 2012, 18:11
I want my Type 0.

Type 0>XIII

Roar.

member_10150241
8th Jul 2012, 18:45
I want my Type 0.

Type 0>XIII

Roar.

i agree

member_10106331
8th Jul 2012, 18:58
I didn't play XIII-2(I GUESS BECAUSE I'M STILL HOPING FOR A FFVII REMAKE TO PS3) what I would really like squeenix to do is come out with games while i'm still alive.I'm tired of having to wait umpteen years for the next fantasy.XIII took so long I almost forgot they were even developing it.And as for the summons in XIII,yeah,...you could get through the game without calling on their aid.Why are they so powerful when YOU fight them,and then,become as useless as an appendix.I love the summons,so SQUEENIX beef dem suckas up on the next installment for a brotha.

member_10723676
8th Jul 2012, 19:02
I actually thought the world of XIII was one of the most interesting worlds in the series so far, aside from Spira in FFX and maybe Ivalice from FFXII. It's understandable though, not everyone likes the modern settings in FF, or even the vibrancy of XIII. As for the characters, I got to say Snow is kind of one-dimensional, I couldn't connect with him. Aside from him, I thought XIII had the best ensemble cast since X.

ShinGundam
8th Jul 2012, 19:33
I actually thought the world of XIII was one of the most interesting worlds in the series so far, aside from Spira in FFX and maybe Ivalice from FFXII. It's understandable though, not everyone likes the modern settings in FF, or even the vibrancy of XIII. As for the characters, I got to say Snow is kind of one-dimensional, I couldn't connect with him. Aside from him, I thought XIII had the best ensemble cast since X.

I can't even think of any big FF that has a modern setting?

Automaton
8th Jul 2012, 20:44

VII and VIII are probably the closest to "modern".

Summoner
8th Jul 2012, 21:15
The most modern I would say is FFVIII with the whole SeeD school/military training thing and missions. It was pretty neat. FFVII was a little more extreme since you had a talking fire-lion (Nanaki) and the world on the brink of destruction cause of JENOVA.

member_10628951
8th Jul 2012, 21:24
@Judge

You're joking right?

The entire cast of XIII was one dimensional. The world wasn't interesting. I'll give you that it was vibrant. One of the most vibrant FF ever. But everything else was either sub-par or just plain bad. I didn't care for the world, characters and story.

To me it is one of the most uninteresting and uninspired worlds in Final Fantasy history.

Asuha
8th Jul 2012, 21:42

VII and VIII are modern fantasy.

member_10706344
8th Jul 2012, 23:02
@Judge You're joking right? The entire cast of XIII was one dimensional. The world wasn't interesting. I'll give you that it was vibrant. One of the most vibrant FF ever. But everything else was either sub-par or just plain bad. I didn't care for the world, characters and story. To me it is one of the most uninteresting and uninspired worlds in Final Fantasy history.

There's this thing called opinion and everyone has one. If yours does not coincide with him, just leave it and dont try to offend his opinion.

I agree with him, i love the cast of XIII, and i think its the best of the series so far. For me, a player who finish all of the main FFs, the only one that have characters as good as XIII is FFIV. And Gran Pulse is much better than Gaia (FFVII), FVIII and Spira (FFX)

8th Jul 2012, 23:16
I want my Type 0.

Type 0>XIII

Roar.

Indeed!

member_10726723
8th Jul 2012, 23:44
i agree whole heartidly with you guys (and girls). I'm tired of seeing protagonists that look like they are my age (16). i am sick of seeing the same tired old leveling system. I want a game where you need to hold the controller the entire time, not one where you can select what to do, then walk off and make a sandwich, come back to the game, and you're character is just then attacking.

member_10628951
8th Jul 2012, 23:47
@Lunakai

Are you saying I am not allowed to disagree and share my own opinion?

I am sorry if my opinion offended you (it really wasn't meant to) however everyone here is just expressing their opinions. Even what I said was an opinion. No one said you had to agree with it. Just like I disagree with your statement about XIII and IV. I believe VII, VIII and X had amazing casts and they are my favorite FF. See? Different opinions. The great thing about opinions is that they are all right to whoever says them. Don't get so uptight because someone doesn't like the same thing as you.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 00:22
@Lunakai Are you saying I am not allowed to disagree and share my own opinion? I am sorry if my opinion offended you (it really wasn't meant to) however everyone here is just expressing their opinions. Even what I said was an opinion. No one said you had to agree with it. Just like I disagree with your statement about XIII and IV. I believe VII, VIII and X had amazing casts and they are my favorite FF. See? Different opinions. The great thing about opinions is that they are all right to whoever says them. Don't get so uptight because someone doesn't like the same thing as you.

What's soo amazing about the 7 & 8 cast? 8 is/was my favorite and first FF, I know nobody besides Squall got any major character development. With 7 its basically a cloud,aerith, and sephiroth game because everyone else seems to get forgotten.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 00:51
In VII while those characters were the focus points of the game Red XIII, Barrett, Vincent and Tifa all had major character development.

While in VIII Squall, Rinoa, Zell and Seifer all had major character developments too. Esspecially Squall and Rinoa. I am not going to spoil it for those who haven't played it but she developed with Squall as his character developed. That's the reason I think VII and VIII ha better casts. I felt like XIII's characters didn't develop in anyway. They felt like the same exact characters as they were from the begining of the game. Especially Lightning. I felt like she didn't change in the slightest at the end.

YoshiKatYoko
9th Jul 2012, 08:51
You guys need to know that there is still XIII-2 around, not just XIII. You're basically all comparing these games to the first one. Try comparing these games to the sequel instead. Don't reason out the bad sellings in XIII-2, because bad sellings in XIII-2 doesn't mean it suck already.

PshcoNinja

I thought you have already played both games? LOL, all your posts about XIII and XIII-2 are inaccurate. Lightning changed in XIII-2, she changed her personality and changed her way of giving relationships with others. Snow changed in XIII-2; BACK IN XIII he's a Serah-obssessed mofo, but in XIII-2 he thinks like he doesn't need Serah anymore. Hope changed, he become matured AND THUS THE REALLY CHANGED CHARACTER (far from the crybaby you always see in XIII).

XIII's world, even thought LINEAR, was the best and the best of all. Compared to other games, it is already one of the best worlds to visit about. Cocoon is better than Ivalice, and Cocoon on both XIII and XIII-2 is better than Spira. XIII and XIII-2 also has THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS that I have been enjoying - every genre of it.

If you're here to share opinions, why are you always targetting people who are saying XIII is a good game? Even in my thread, lol.

member_10770952
9th Jul 2012, 09:03
haha interesting .. very interesting.

Azure
9th Jul 2012, 09:46
Are you kidding me ? Coocon is better than Ivalice and Spira .Coocon is full of machinery . Even monsters wore armor , made of machine or look like machines . A lifeless world is adorned with blinding colors and lack of aesthetic . What is better than Spira and Ivalice or Others world ?The truth can not be denied that FF 13 and 13-2 are the worst game ever and FF13 fans tried to protect a game that really doesn't look like was not a role-playing game .

I tend not to involve in this but you speak ridiculous thing too much so I have to interject your nonsense speech

member_10723676
9th Jul 2012, 10:37
@PyschoNinja and Azure, by reading your posts, something tells me you didn't actually complete XIII. Also, you can't view Cocoon as being the world of XIII, it's Cocoon and Gran Pulse that make up the world of XIII. Gran Pulse is full of nature and organic life. They're made to contrast each other. And when you say the cast is one-dimensional, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I'm not even going to go into detail with all of the characters, as I think it's pretty obvious, but Lightning opens up to her allies, she's alot more accepting of Serah and Snow's marriage, and overall, she becomes a team player, instead doing things all on her own.

But if that's your opinion, that's your opinion. I like XIII just as much as I liked FFVIII, X, and XII.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 11:13
@Yoko

I love how you jump down my throat all the time. Lol. I also love how you assume because some one didn't like XIII or XIII-2 they didn't play the games. Sure the cast of characters CHANGED in XIII-2 but what I am talking about is actual CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT DURING THE GAME ITSELF. Just like XIII the characters didn't grow in any significant way. They were the same static characters that they were from the beginning (with the exception of Noel).

And the world itself TO ME was very lifeless and had no personality in XIII. They did better with this in XIII-2 but not by much. This is all MY OPINION based off the game I did play ALL THE WAY TO THE END. TWICE.

@judge
I respect that opinion. But again like Yoko you jumped to the conclusion that because I didn't like it I obviously didn't play it. That's simply not true. I still stand by my previous statement. Really? Became more of a team player? Accepted Snow and Sereh's marriage? That seems to me like very little character development. These are small things. Usually characters learn a lesson or they see the bigger picture within FF games. I didnt feel there was any of that in XIII and only a little bit of that towards the end of XIII-2.

The games didn't engage me enough when it came to the story or characters which are the most important aspects of a FF game. Go back and play X, IX or VII and tell me those characters don't change by the end of that game and the stories weren't engaging.

Azure
9th Jul 2012, 11:19
@PyschoNinja and Azure, by reading your posts, something tells me you didn't actually complete XIII. Also, you can't view Cocoon as being the world of XIII, it's Cocoon and Gran Pulse that make up the world of XIII. Gran Pulse is full of nature and organic life. They're made to contrast each other. And when you say the cast is one-dimensional, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I'm not even going to go into detail with all of the characters, as I think it's pretty obvious, but Lightning opens up to her allies, she's alot more accepting of Serah and Snow's marriage, and overall, she becomes a team player, instead doing things all on her own.

But if that's your opinion, that's your opinion. I like XIII just as much as I liked FFVIII, X, and XII.

First , I already Complete FF XIII and XIII-2

Second , Althought I don't like FF XIII but I still buy FF XIII-2 and not sell them .

Third ,Talking about Gran pulse . I forgot to include Gran pulse , It is also adorned with blinding colors and lack of aesthetic , Honestly , It better than Coocon but the Monster here still look like mechanic.

Fourth , I have played FF for 14 years , even the others JRPG. I play almost all of FF title so my feeling about FF XIII and XIII-2 is very clearly .

Finally , FF13 at first I did not hate it but now I hate it because of the Fans

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 11:40
@Yoko I love how you jump down my throat all the time. Lol. I also love how you assume because some one didn't like XIII or XIII-2 they didn't play the games. Sure the cast of characters CHANGED in XIII-2 but what I am talking about is actual CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT DURING THE GAME ITSELF. Just like XIII the characters didn't grow in any significant way. They were the same static characters that they were from the beginning (with the exception of Noel). And the world itself TO ME was very lifeless and had no personality in XIII. They did better with this in XIII-2 but not by much. This is all MY OPINION based off the game I did play ALL THE WAY TO THE END. TWICE.

What game did you play? You had to be blind to see that Hope didn't change.

Are you kidding me ? Coocon is better than Ivalice and Spira .Coocon is full of machinery . Even monsters wore armor , made of machine or look like machines . A lifeless world is adorned with blinding colors and lack of aesthetic . What is better than Spira and Ivalice or Others world ?The truth can not be denied that FF 13 and 13-2 are the worst game ever and FF13 fans tried to protect a game that really doesn't look like was not a role-playing game .

I'd try to protect my favorite games too from dumb nostalgic goggle wearing fans, what's wrong with that? 8's world/universe is better than Spira.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 11:44
Hope did change from XIII to XIII-2 but while IN THOSE GAMES he was the same character from start to finish.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 11:49
Hope did change from XIII to XIII-2 but while IN THOSE GAMES he was the same character from start to finish.

you're blind for real, in 13 he was a vengeful scared kid and by the end he was no longer afraid or wanting to kill Snow. In 13-2, of course he didn't change because he was a mnor character.

member_10706344
9th Jul 2012, 11:52
Just forget it Kuja9001, they are blind. They say Lightining changes are few, Hope, who in the beggining is a scared and imature child, turned by the end in a strong and determined character, they say no lessons is learned, but they forget all thats happened with Vanille.

And when we ask about what character development the FFVII characters like Tifa has, they say they wont spoil anything. Yeah right. This sound like they dont even know what development those chacracters have. Because i dont see any diferences in Tifa's Character, Barret, Red XIII, Yuffie, Vincent, Selphie, Quistis, Zell and Squall have the same development as Lightining. He is a rude one when the game begins, and by the end he learns to work with his friends as a team.

They talk about 13 just because they dont have anything more interesting to do.

But i agree that Ivalice is a better world than Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 11:59
Just forget it Kuja9001, they are blind. They say Lightining changes are few, Hope, who in the beggining is a scared and imature child, turned by the end in a strong and determined character, they say no lessons is learned, but they forget all thats happened with Vanille.

And when we ask about what character development the FFVII characters like Tifa has, they say they wont spoil anything. Yeah right. This sound like they dont even know what development those chacracters have. Because i dont see any diferences in Tifa's Character, Barret, Red XIII, Yuffie, Vincent, Selphie, Quistis, Zell and Squall have the same development as Lightining. He is a rude one when the game begins, and by the end he learns to work with his friends as a team.

They talk about 13 just because they dont have anything more interesting to do.

But i agree that Ivalice is a better world than Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

I agree, I love FF as a whole, I've come to realize that 85% of the fanbase are nostalgia heads and that it makes me ashamed to be a long time fan.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 12:00
Right... how dare we have opinions. Am I right? God I don't even get as defensive as you guys do about XIII when people talk crap on VII or VIII or X.

Like I said I have my opinion. You have yours. I am just defending myself from your guys assault because I don't like the same things as you. Grow up.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 12:05
Right... how dare we have opinions. Am I right? God I don't even get as defensive as you guys do about XIII when people talk crap on VII or VIII or X. Like I said I have my opinion. You have yours. I am just defending myself from your guys assault because I don't like the same things as you. Grow up.

I don't get crazy when people bash 8 but you're bashing 13 and using inaccurate facts. What assault? lol.

member_10074094
9th Jul 2012, 14:37
calling people blind is a bit of a verbal assault.

Someone should just make a "hate on FF games thread" because it seems like every thread is turning into that. This discussion has NOTHING to do with the topic. The nostalgic people v. the newcomers. This topic is supposed to be about whether we think they should move on... not whether FF13 is a bad game.

Honestly, I like the game, not as much as others in the series, it had too many flaws for me, but I still liked it. I am, however, sick of it. I greatly prefer Ivalice Alliance titles to other games in the series, but I deal with spin-offs to FF12, and the tactics series, on handhelds. Why can't the people who prefer FF13's world do the same? Can't we just move on with the series already? Something new? FF15 anyone?

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 14:47
^^Thats all I was trying to say but you have said it more eloquently. Thank you Jalian.

member_10706344
9th Jul 2012, 14:53
Calling people who thinks 13 is better than the others Newcomer, is something i find rude too. I played Final Fantasys since II (IV) for the SNES. And no, thats not youre trying to say, PsycoNinja, youre the one who started insulting FF 13 in the first place.

Well what matters is that they will probably do FF13-3 for PS3 and XBOX 360, after that they can end the series or just moved it to Vita or 3DS.

Popcicle
9th Jul 2012, 15:01
Let's make sure to keep the discussion on the topic and avoid personal attacks, we're all fans of the series! But if you want to flex your gaming history its my turn!

AGE BEFORE LEVEL 99

I've been playing FINAL FANTASY for 22 years and I like them all, in fact I was asked the other day if there are any FINAL FANTASY games I don't enjoy...and I couldn't think of any!

ALWAYS MORE GYSAHL GREENS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE

That being said, I certainly have my favorites that I've played more often than others. I've only played through FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 once but I think I would appreciate the content from those games more through an additional playthrough. That's often been the case at least for many FINAL FANTASY games in the past. I recently replayed FINAL FANTASY I and gained a whole new appreciation for that title retrying it again after what had been maybe 5 years of not touching it.

MITHKABOB FOR THOUGHT!

It's also often true I'm sure many of you have noticed that many FINAL FANTASY fans often align nostalgically with the generation they were introduced to first. This isn't always true of course, but I definitely have a softspot for the NES/SNES titles that no other titles have been able to perfectly replicate. It doesn't mean they're 'better' games to me or even my favorites, just that they do different things for me as a player. I am happy to be able to enjoy each new iteration in different ways, and yeah I also do tons of comparisons to my past favorites, but often I think taking on a fresh perspective for what makes a game great can help a player see the value a developer was trying to create in their game.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 15:04
Or they can move it to handhelds with the next game and move on to XV, Versus XIII and Type-0. Just a suggestion don't take it as an insult.

member_10628951
9th Jul 2012, 15:15
@Robert

Oh cool the community manager speaking!!! TO US!!

I agree with you Robert however I dont think every final fantasy will wow every fan every single time (except for people like you in which case that is awesome!). Unfortunately this time around for me it was XIII and XIII-2 I played both those games through twice and it didnt do anything for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Honestly when people say they enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 I get a little jealous because I really wanted to like the games but like I said it didn't do it for me. I very much look forward to Versus XIII (Please call this game XV) and I hope that game is taking precedence over there ;p.

Thank you for talking with us fans and I hope we can see you around here a bit more often. Don't be scared to invite us over to the studio once in a while either ;p ( I live in the LA area).

member_10822883
9th Jul 2012, 15:18
MITHKABOB FOR THOUGHT!

It's also often true I'm sure many of you have noticed that many FINAL FANTASY fans often align nostalgically with the generation they were introduced to first. This isn't always true of course, but I definitely have a softspot for the NES/SNES titles that no other titles have been able to perfectly replicate. It doesn't mean they're 'better' games to me or even my favorites, just that they do different things for me as a player. I am happy to be able to enjoy each new iteration in different ways, and yeah I also do tons of comparisons to my past favorites, but often I think taking on a fresh perspective for what makes a game great can help a player see the value a developer was trying to create in their game.

I think this is definitely apparent. I've been playing FINAL FANTASY titles since the old days and I think it shows when I think about how fuzzy games like III, V, and VI make me feel in comparison to VII or X. I like the latter games, but they both leave me cold in a way that none of the games I started with do. Hell, III is even my favorite in the series.

I think that's what made XIII so exciting for me and why I'm so eager to let it finish its course (XIII-3 or some alternative) - that sense of excitement and glee I got from playing my favorites. Totally different, but still so familiar.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 16:30
calling people blind is a bit of a verbal assault.

Called one dude blind, not people. Anyways he claimed he couldn't see the character development in 13 so he set himself up for that.

Well im not one of them, I've been playing games since the SNES days. I defend 13 and its not evn my favorite.

Exentryk
9th Jul 2012, 20:07
I mostly agree with the TC. Had enough of XIIIs world, and I never really cared for any of the characters. The narrative and story telling has really dropped off in Final Fantasies and that, in my opinion, is what FF's strength has been in the past, along with Uematsu's beautiful music. Those are now replaced by Datalog and pop songs.

Maybe they need to take some inspiration from Xenoblade, as it has been the best RPG this generation. Huge explorable maps, amazing music and decent characters. I guess HD development also causes restrictions in creating large maps so you can't really blame SE for making the most of their already developed assests. It makes perfect business sense to release sequels when all of the hard work (maps, monsters, characters etc) is already done, and just need a bit of story to make a full game out of it. Even if the game isn't that great, it'll still keep money trickling in.

I just hope they improve their development cycles, and start paying more attention to story telling and music. I have some faith in Versus for that reason, as Yoko Shimomura is doing the music, and Nomura doing the story.

Kuja9001
9th Jul 2012, 20:12
I mostly agree with the TC. Had enough of XIIIs world, and I never really cared for any of the characters. The narrative and story telling has really dropped off in Final Fantasies and that, in my opinion, is what FF's strength has been in the past, along with Uematsu's beautiful music. Those are now replaced by Datalog and pop songs.

Maybe they need to take some inspiration from Xenoblade, as it has been the best RPG this generation. Huge explorable maps, amazing music and decent characters. I guess HD development also causes restrictions in creating large maps so you can't really blame SE for making the most of their already developed assests. It makes perfect business sense to release sequels when all of the hard work (maps, monsters, characters etc) is already done, and just need a bit of story to make a full game out of it. Even if the game isn't that great, it'll still keep money trickling in.

I just hope they improve their development cycles, and start paying more attention to story telling and music. I have some faith in Versus for that reason, as Yoko Shimomura is doing the music, and Nomura doing the story.

I wish the fanbase was smart enough to research things, 8 started the pop songs and probably started the datalog stuff too.

member_10822883
9th Jul 2012, 20:54
Those are now replaced by Datalog and pop songs.

Well, the pop songs actually started with VI, although "Approaching Sentiment" didn't end up in the game - which I guess makes VIII the first game to actually use a pop song. And I'm sorry, but "Eyes on Me," "Melodies of Life," etc. are all incredibly cheesy pop songs in their own right too. "Because You're There" and "My Hands" aren't any more pop than the older ones.

Have you actually listened to any of Hamauzu's work? I think you'll find he's an incredible composer in his own right; hell, I think he wrote the most mature and overall beautiful soundtrack to any Square game I've played, and I've been listening to and buying Uematsu albums since the 90s. He's not as John Williamsy as Uematsu, mind you, but there are a lot of subtleties that I think a lot of the Uematsuesque anthems don't have necessarily.

Also, Nomura tends to rely on fairly convoluted plot elements and usually winds the story up in plotholes. I wouldn't put too much faith in his storytelling, even if I think when his work shines it really soars.

Azure
9th Jul 2012, 20:59
Calling people who thinks 13 is better than the others Newcomer, is something i find rude too. I played Final Fantasys since II (IV) for the SNES. And no, thats not youre trying to say, PsycoNinja, youre the one who started insulting FF 13 in the first place.

Well what matters is that they will probably do FF13-3 for PS3 and XBOX 360, after that they can end the series or just moved it to Vita or 3DS.

Totally right , Majority of gamers who think FFXIII better than others FF is newcomer that is what I see . Even Toriyama said this game is aim for newcomer. You know why many people hate FFXIII . Because it get promotion too much althought It is bad FF F. It has preference for everything . Toriyama also said at the celebration of 25 years also has information on FF13-3 So what ever happened to the better FF , they have nothing .

They should leave FFXIII world and proceed to another world .

Exentryk
9th Jul 2012, 21:24
See... I didn't even recall Eyes on Me and Melodies of life in my previous post. Just shows how they are only used selectively, and aren't annoying to the extents of Time and Space and other pop songs that never stop playing in XIII-2. Also, I have Masashi Hamauzu's Soundtrack for XIII, and I like a few compositions he has made in there.

I wish Kuja9001 was smart enough to understand the point made in that post. Having the Datalog isn't the problem, but overly relying on it to tell the story is. I mean, you enter a new area, Datalog updated. Go read. >.<

member_10074094
10th Jul 2012, 08:24
the nostalia v. newcomer remark was not meant to offend anyone. I came to this conversation late and saw that someone else was already throwing the term nostalgia around as an insult, and although not directed at me, I have been on the recieving end of that kind of remark a few times prior to this topic. I only made the point because, if those of us who hate FF13 are nostalgic idiots, then those who like it must, clearly, be newcomers... an idea that I disagree with. I have been a fan of FF for only 6 years... I don't think my experience is great enough to argue nostalgia at all. Everyone I argue with, however, says it must be so because I don't like FF13 (which is not entirely true... the game is better than many JRPG's that have come out this generation, but I simply consider it inferior to other games in the FF series... and that makes me a nostalgic idiot or something).

This arguement has, unfortunately, not been resolved. Someone should just make a topic called "which FF game do you hate the most" so everyone can rage at each other to their hearts content, instead of polluting a topic that has nothing to do with that... this is just a plea to move on with the series and make something new.

YoshiKatYoko
10th Jul 2012, 08:34

Totally right , Majority of gamers who think FFXIII better than others FF is newcomer that is what I see . Even Toriyama said this game is aim for newcomer. You know why many people hate FFXIII . Because it get promotion too much althought It is bad FF F. It has preference for everything . Toriyama also said at the celebration of 25 years also has information on FF13-3 So what ever happened to the better FF , they have nothing .

They should leave FFXIII world and proceed to another world .

Yeah, right. I already knew that XIII is WORST out of the franchise. But it doesn't suck too. We're not saying it is better than the other FFs, but in the process we're not saying it sucks too.

You are trying to always redirect the sequels to the first game. Isn't XIII-2 a good game? Hell, it's better than all the FFs I have played since. XIII-2 was made to improve and fix the issues back in the first game.

If you are not in line of playing XIII-3, don't even try buying it! If you are a true FF fan, you're gonna love all series. I loved XII, X, IV, Tactics, VIII, Crisis Core, Dissidia (even this), XIII, and many others that I have played. Each series has ups and downs. I AGREE IT'S YOUR OPINION, YEP - but pulling down an already down game (XIII) and disagreeing with XIII-3 'cause you're DIRECTING this to the lowest game (XIII) is already a pathetic move to make.

Don't hate a game that will be in the way of your wanted next game. Don't reason out XIII is a bad game, 'cause we still have XIII-2 THAT IS BETTER and IS THE CURRENT GAME as of now. I don't even hate Versus, but doing the opposite action to our already wanted next game is a whore.

Azure
10th Jul 2012, 09:43
Is true Fan have to love all the series ? Yes , I love all the series . I play almost of the series and the reason I buy news system only to play FF . but that does not mean that I cannot hate . I say it's a bad but i didn't say it suck

MistwalkerKilyK
10th Jul 2012, 10:54
I had a discussion similar to this one some days ago at another videogame website when the rumor of a FFXIII-3 surfaced (I don't know if the policies of this site allow me to name other Internet places, so I won't). One of the conclusion we got there is that it is a matter of tastes: if you liked FFXIII or its sequel (which I personally prefer) you'll like the idea of a second sequel to XIII; if you didn't like the game, obviously you wouldn't be as happy to see SE investing more time and money resources into making a game you just wouldn't want to buy or play.

The most important conclusion we got was simple: there will be games you'll like more than others within the franchise and it's almost impossible to like them all in the same level because they are different games that look to different places and want to find different things. That's why it is important to respect everyone opinion and tastes and --at a personal level of opinion-- that's why it's important for a FF fan to experience every game within the franchise (if you are able to), because every game is a special world with it's own things.

After saying that I should ask: is it imperative for SE to leave the XIII World as this topic rightfully suggest? It depends on the player. Some are desperate to see something new ASAP --and that's a respectable wish--, while others (myself included) just want to enjoy the games this franchise offer us, including even the MMOs.

I --personally-- would like to see a FFXIII-3 that concludes the story left open by XIII-2, but I'd like that game to be the last one on the 'Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy' (some have already started calling those games by that name). I love this series as a whole, with its right and its wrongs, so if there's a new XIII to go out, I'll go buy it because I enjoy the games and I try not to compare them to all others in the franchise in a bad way (no offense intended). If you didn't like FFXIII and think SE should move on, well, more power to you, but I'd love to see the last chapter on this story before moving on. However that's just my personal opinion.

The last thing I would like to say is that every opinion has its value, even those that don't agree with mine, and as the FF fans we are, we should respect what somebody who doesn't think like us say.

Take care!
Enjoy the games!

member_10487638
10th Jul 2012, 15:48
Ignoring the trajectory of the Flame-war that started.

I like the XIII universe. Its a little vague at times and requires alot of attention but it meshes well. I am a sucker for Time-Travel arcs, so seeing characters respond differently was interesting to me. I am still about halfway through XIII-2 and enthralled with the universe. I also have been playing FF since I owned an NES, so i don't think that has any weight. The combat system is not my favourite, but it did grow on me. if I had my way we would be using materia and a simple stat board to increase attributes.

That being said;

I agree, I want a new universe born. Though, I would like to see a XIII-3 if the ending is open as everyone keep saying, I would hate for Square to dump the idea just because a few people are tired of it.

Square-Enix has a finger in more and more franchises as time goes on, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider.. to name two. We are probobly going to see alot of changes that people like or do not like before another "perfect" game is made. even then you will all complain because as human nature dictates, it will never be as good as your nostalgic rendition. Nothing Square-Enix will ever make could touch my emotion towards VII, I was at a very inqusitive time in my life when that game came out and it transformed the way I thought about games. I think exploring a universe / mechanics system across 3 games is an excellent way to contain ideas without breeching into other universes where the idea may not conceptualise fully. I would like them to work out the flaws in this system before creating a new universe and making me deal with it all over again.

member_10074094
10th Jul 2012, 18:00
Square-Enix has a finger in more and more franchises as time goes on, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider.. to name two. We are probobly going to see alot of changes that people like or do not like before another "perfect" game is made. even then you will all complain because as human nature dictates, it will never be as good as your nostalgic rendition. Nothing Square-Enix will ever make could touch my emotion towards VII, I was at a very inqusitive time in my life when that game came out and it transformed the way I thought about games. I think exploring a universe / mechanics system across 3 games is an excellent way to contain ideas without breeching into other universes where the idea may not conceptualise fully. I would like them to work out the flaws in this system before creating a new universe and making me deal with it all over again.

Square-Enix owns Eidos, who makes these games. However, I believe that the Eidos teams are still intact, and Square-Enix managemant is the only group that has to worry about it... the independent teams responsible for FF aren't related at all.

As for those who think I want them to cancel FF13-3.... that is not entirely accurate. I hate when a story is unfinished, regardless of how good or bad it is. So by all means, finish it. But, what bugs me, is that games that I would have prefered to see... like a sequel to 12, that WAS CANCELLED because Square-Enix didn't have the resources to make it and the company they hired for it tanked... and yet, they continue with the next world. I despise that 12's sequel was cancelled, just to move on with the series, and I would hate if that happened to FF13 too... but if it was time to move on with something new instead of FF12, because some people weren't interested, then why does FF13 get special treatment? Why can't its sequels be handhelds... like the KH series has become, or the sequel that was eventually released for FF12... so we can move on to the next numbered title in the series?

Hopefully my frustration is making sense... I feel like its hard to explain...

new_tradition
10th Jul 2012, 19:27
Once they complete the FFXIII story, then they can stop with it. I just want a close-ended conclusion (and hopefully a happy ending for all the characters).

member_10487638
10th Jul 2012, 22:08
[/quote]

Square-Enix owns Eidos, who makes these games. However, I believe that the Eidos teams are still intact, and Square-Enix managemant is the only group that has to worry about it... the independent teams responsible for FF aren't related at all.

[/quote]

Just because they arent related does not mean they wont move over or migrate ideas, I doubt Eidos teams have any direct connection with Square-Enix aside from as you stated the management, I was just speculating on the aqcusitions the company has made and the possible outcomes there.

There was supposed to be a sequel to 12 that was cancelled? Wierd. I loved XII.

As for moving sequels over to Handhelds. No thank you, that drives me absolutely nuts. I will not buy a handheld just to play a sequel or prequel of a game I loved on one console ever again. I did it with Crisis Core and was heavily dissapointed. I can see why they do it though, if they will not get the distribution out of it that they want or need, they have no choice but to move it to handheld. Just bugs the ever living crap out of me.

I understand the frusteration, but you have to take into account everyone elses. Just because You don't like FFXIII and want them to move on, doesn't mean they should, or even have sufficent data to back that its a bad idea to move forward. That being said, the complete oppisite is true, just because we want a XIII-3 does not mean they have sufficent reason to make it. So really, who knows. Square does. I just know I want FFXV too, and I want FFXII-3, FFVII Remastered, FFX in HD and on my PS3 now and a Chocobo in my driveway.

member_10628951
10th Jul 2012, 22:23
^^^the same could be said about everyone waiting for Versus XIII. I say they should finish all projects try have announced in the past few years then we can talk about the future. I am talking about X HD, Type-0 and Versus XIII. Then we can talk about XIII-3 and XV.

member_10074094
10th Jul 2012, 22:50

Just because they arent related does not mean they wont move over or migrate ideas, I doubt Eidos teams have any direct connection with Square-Enix aside from as you stated the management, I was just speculating on the aqcusitions the company has made and the possible outcomes there.

There was supposed to be a sequel to 12 that was cancelled? Wierd. I loved XII.

As for moving sequels over to Handhelds. No thank you, that drives me absolutely nuts. I will not buy a handheld just to play a sequel or prequel of a game I loved on one console ever again. I did it with Crisis Core and was heavily dissapointed. I can see why they do it though, if they will not get the distribution out of it that they want or need, they have no choice but to move it to handheld. Just bugs the ever living crap out of me.

I understand the frusteration, but you have to take into account everyone elses. Just because You don't like FFXIII and want them to move on, doesn't mean they should, or even have sufficent data to back that its a bad idea to move forward. That being said, the complete oppisite is true, just because we want a XIII-3 does not mean they have sufficent reason to make it. So really, who knows. Square does. I just know I want FFXV too, and I want FFXII-3, FFVII Remastered, FFX in HD and on my PS3 now and a Chocobo in my driveway.

exactly the point i was trying to make. I am part of a group that wanted FF12 sequel... and we got jipped. And I am angry that the group that wants more for FF13, isn't missing out as well. I don't see why FF13 deservs special treatment.

Azure
11th Jul 2012, 05:20
FF13 deserve the special treatment because it was made by Toriyama ., Yoshinori Kitase buddy . Kisate is the leader of Division 1 and he let Toriyama do what ever he want . Kitase and Toriyama Game design philosophy is the same while Hiroyuki Itou is opposite .

Toriyama 's quote .

"The aim of Final Fantasy X was to create an interactive movie RPG. A game where the player could participate in it as if they're were watching a film. If the game was given a world map, it would have destroyed the pacing and flow of the narrative due to the player being able to go wherever they want at any time. When working on the event scenes, I made sure that they were not separated by long hours of gameplay. I wanted Final Fantasy X to be a game that prioritised the player caring about the story and characters rather than the gameplay and exploration."

Ito's quote .

"For me, the most important element of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore a vast world, visit various towns and dungeons, talk to numerous NPCs, customise the equipment and abilities of their character, collect a wide variety of items, battle many different types of monsters, and engage in optional side-quests and mini-games. The story and event scenes are also important, but they should be balanced with these aspects of RPG gameplay."

so ....you know the reason why there is no FF 12 Sequel anymore . Maybe Ivalice/Division 4 team have been dissolved

member_10074094
11th Jul 2012, 09:12
"For me, the most important element of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore a vast world, visit various towns and dungeons, talk to numerous NPCs, customise the equipment and abilities of their character, collect a wide variety of items, battle many different types of monsters, and engage in optional side-quests and mini-games. The story and event scenes are also important, but they should be balanced with these aspects of RPG gameplay."

I agree with this guy. If it is a video game, then the aspects that seperate it from a movie are just as important as the story. It seems like lately, we get great games like Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which are great fun to play and explore but lacking in story, or games like FF13, which funnel you through linear areas to watch a movie. Occasional gems of balance come along (Mass Effect 3, for me) but these games are often followed by angry fans (Mass Effect 3's dissapointing ending). Perfection in games is impossible to obtain, but if you have a balance in gameplay elements and story elements, then the people who like both independently will all be happy, as well as the people who actually like both combined.

so ....you know the reason why there is no FF 12 Sequel anymore . Maybe Ivalice/Division 4 team have been dissolved

Square-Enix had another company developing the game, the codename of the game was Fortress. They withdrew the game from the company because they felt the quality was poor; the company was forced to declare bankruptcy because of this. Fortress will probably never happen now; although the author on the wiki is optimistic, he writes: At E3 2011, Motomu Toriyama (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama), director of Final Fantasy XIII (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII) and Final Fantasy XIII-2 (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII-2), is said to have told the website videogamer.com "behind closed doors" that Fortress will "never be released." However, given that this statement was made in confidentiality, it has not been reported by any other source and is unconfirmed as fact. (source: finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress))

I am not as optimistic.

member_10822537
11th Jul 2012, 09:53
@Yoko

I understand how you feel about them continuing the XIII series with a XIII-3, but don't you think that they should have made a more interesting dlc to end the game?

I mean yeah yeah it was a touching speech but it had no closure. Maybe they did this on purpose just because they knew fans of the XIII series would want another game. I didn't see this to be fair and I also find it a coincidence that it was the last dlc to be released.

So if they are making a XIII-3, it should be done later after all the Type 0 and Versus XIII fans are satisfied.

YoshiKatYoko
13th Jul 2012, 09:55
@Yoko

I understand how you feel about them continuing the XIII series with a XIII-3, but don't you think that they should have made a more interesting dlc to end the game?

I mean yeah yeah it was a touching speech but it had no closure. Maybe they did this on purpose just because they knew fans of the XIII series would want another game. I didn't see this to be fair and I also find it a coincidence that it was the last dlc to be released.

So if they are making a XIII-3, it should be done later after all the Type 0 and Versus XIII fans are satisfied.

You understand me, yep. But I can't understand you. First and foremost, DLC is the least thing I cared about games. The total of the DLC when you bought ALL FFXIII-2 DLCS are 67 USD, and that's MORE than the cost of a PS3 game. What I could least do when back in the time I don't have access to DLC is just to suggest them to make XIII-3.

XIII-2's DLCs make the game itself hard, and a new introduction to the XIII-3 in the near future. Toriyama did do the Lightning DLC for two reasons (imo) 1. To make a hint for XIII-3 2. So we can know what happened to Lightning after Serah's death.

I don't care about the release date. Before Type 0 and Versus release? It's OK with me. After Type o and Versus release? It's still OK with me. Cheer up. At least YOU HAVE XIII-3 to expect about.

member_10628951
13th Jul 2012, 11:50
@Yoko
We don't know 100% if that's going to happen.

I mean sure it might happen but if released before Versus (XV) and Type-0 I think there would be more upset than happy. Vice versa and everyone is cool with it. It would be in Squares best interest to release type-0 and Versus XIII (XV) before XIII-3 (if this even exists).

YoshiKatYoko
13th Jul 2012, 12:12
Yeah we don't know if Final Fantasy XIIII-3 is going to happen. Same as Versus. We don't know if it will change name to XV. We don't know when is the release date. So accept and respect on what's going to happen in the future. lol.

member_10822537
13th Jul 2012, 14:00
@Yoko

You understand me, yep. But I can't understand you. First and foremost, DLC is the least thing I cared about games. The total of the DLC when you bought ALL FFXIII-2 DLCS are 67 USD, and that's MORE than the cost of a PS3 game. What I could least do when back in the time I don't have access to DLC is just to suggest them to make XIII-3.

XIII-2's DLCs make the game itself hard, and a new introduction to the XIII-3 in the near future. Toriyama did do the Lightning DLC for two reasons (imo) 1. To make a hint for XIII-3 2. So we can know what happened to Lightning after Serah's death.

I don't care about the release date. Before Type 0 and Versus release? It's OK with me. After Type o and Versus release? It's still OK with me. Cheer up. At least YOU HAVE XIII-3 to expect about.

All I'm trying to say is, that they ended the game with a cliff hanger so your theory of Toriyama giving a hint to a next game may be correct. I just hoped that it didn't keeping you wondering unless it was absolutely finished.

I guess it'll be nice to have another game in the XIII series.

member_10628951
13th Jul 2012, 14:06
@Yoko

Lol true. All I am saying is that I hope the games that have been in the works for 6 years now get release dates and released before XIII-3. It would be extremely weird and questionable if XIII-3 gets released before Versus XIII(XV) and Type-0.

Azure
14th Jul 2012, 00:50
@Yoko Lol true. All I am saying is that I hope the games that have been in the works for 6 years now get release dates and released before XIII-3. It would be extremely weird and questionable if XIII-3 gets released before Versus XIII(XV) and Type-0.

If you want to Versus is XV so You should add Final Fantasy XVI , too . The number of fans waiting for XV ( XVI for Prys) as much as Versus

For me , Versus , Type-0 , XV and another title should release before XIII-3 . After that I don't care

Azure
14th Jul 2012, 00:54
@Yoko Lol true. All I am saying is that I hope the games that have been in the works for 6 years now get release dates and released before XIII-3. It would be extremely weird and questionable if XIII-3 gets released before Versus XIII(XV) and Type-0.

If you want to Versus is XV so You should add Final Fantasy XVI , too . The number of fans waiting for XV ( XVI for Prys) as much as Versus

For me , Versus , Type-0 , XV and another title should release before XIII-3 . After that I don't care

member_10078668
24th Jul 2012, 16:12
NES:

<ul>
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
[/list]

SNES:

<ul>
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
[/list]

Playstation:

<ul>
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
[/list]

Playstation 2:

<ul>
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
[/list]

Playstation 3:

<ul>
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIII-3
Final Fantasy XIV
[/list]

Another vote to leave the XIII universe at long last. There's not enough variety in Final Fantasy titles this generation.

member_10628951
24th Jul 2012, 17:57
We need XV this gen otherwise we are breaking from the tradition of 3 numbered entries per gen. If XV doesn't make it by the end of the gen then they should just go ahead and rename Versus XIII to XV. If XV makes it by the end of the gen (hopefully) then no worries.

Bluehurricane11
24th Jul 2012, 18:04
I do think they need to make a XV this gen but i sort of like the XIII universe.

ZachiroEnigma0
24th Jul 2012, 18:09
We need XV this gen otherwise we are breaking from the tradition of 3 numbered entries per gen. If XV doesn't make it by the end of the gen then they should just go ahead and rename Versus XIII to XV. If XV makes it by the end of the gen (hopefully) then no worries.

once versus comes out this gen will have like 4 numbered entries

xiii

xiii-2

xiv 2.0

versus xiii

forgot that theyre making a ps3 version of xiv didnt you lol

member_10628951
24th Jul 2012, 19:01

once versus comes out this gen will have like 4 numbered entries

xiii

xiii-2

xiv 2.0

versus xiii

forgot that theyre making a ps3 version of xiv didnt you lol

Versus XIII and XIII-2 arent considered main-entry numbered titles. Only I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII and XIV are. Everything else is considered a "spin-off" or "sequel/prequel" of a main entry. (For the record I hate that fact. Versus XIII I have never considered a spin-off and I will never call it that. However many people do call it a spin-off. What is the game spinning off of? Clearly it's better than the main entry. But no matter if Versus is the best Final Fantasy ever it's still considered by people a "spin-off" (even though that's not how Square and Nomura see it))

Anyways there has only been two main entries this gen:

XIII

and

XIV

member_10078668
24th Jul 2012, 19:37
NES:

<ul>
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
[/list]

SNES:

<ul>
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
[/list]

Playstation:

<ul>
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
[/list]

Playstation 2:

<ul>
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
[/list]

Playstation 3:

<ul>
Final Fantasy XIII

[/list]

Well, I'm of the sector in the fanbase that believes the MMORPG titles shouldn't be main number titles so let's take out FFXI and FFXIV. Then if we're to focus on main number titles only and not the sequels... Yeah, things haven't been all that great since the first Playstation.

otherwisee
25th Jul 2012, 16:15
Playstation was King along with Square Enix then(BTW LET'S GIVE CREDIT TO FINAL FANTASY TACTICS THE LION WAR, THE BEST SPIN-OFF OF THE SERIES EVER. EVER.). Even Playstation 2 had some great Square Enix games even though not part of the Final Fantasy Series.

Final Fantasy used to be a great game to play, now it's just meh. I don't know what happened this generation. Maybe they tried to do too much by trying to do please two system users? However let me tell you they made at best mediocre games whether it was in the Final Fantasy series or not. I can't name one game, which I would talk about playing and FINISHING.

Dekkarra
27th Jul 2012, 08:07
Well, I'm of the sector in the fanbase that believes the MMORPG titles shouldn't be main number titles so let's take out FFXI and FFXIV.

Well I'm part of the fanbase who think that those who decide to cast aside XI and XIV are being terribly ignorant. The online games are just as much FINAL FANTASY as the offline ones, hence why they get treated as main entries. You just get to enjoy it in the company of others.

The story, world, and characters in XI are truly brilliant. Some of the best in the series! It's more than deserving of the big roman numeral in front. All because it's an online game doesn't mean you shoot it down.

member_10078668
27th Jul 2012, 14:28
Well I'm part of the fanbase who think that those who decide to cast aside XI and XIV are being terribly ignorant. The online games are just as much FINAL FANTASY as the offline ones, hence why they get treated as main entries. You just get to enjoy it in the company of others.

The fact is that you have to keep paying to play those games, therefore dampening replayability with financial burden. That's why there's a sector of the fanbase that don't count them as part of the main series. They're not like the other number titles where you can just start playing it again without strings attached.

magDreameR
3rd Aug 2012, 06:01
I have been playing Final Fantasy Games since 1998 ( VIII was my first one and it is my favorite along with XII )

Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2 are good games but I disliked XIII because there is no towns or locations to explore ( There is no variety on XIII )

Lighting is a brilliant character... The world of XIII is awesome but they didn't give us the chance to explore it. ( We want more races like XII too)

I am glad that they are going to make an XIII-3... So stop complaining like a child.

magDreameR
3rd Aug 2012, 06:01
I have been playing Final Fantasy Games since 1998 ( VIII was my first one and it is my favorite along with XII )

Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2 are good games but I disliked XIII because there is no towns or locations to explore ( There is no variety on XIII )

Lighting is a brilliant character... The world of XIII is awesome but they didn't give us the chance to explore it. ( We want more races like XII too)

I am glad that they are going to make an XIII-3... So stop complaining like a child.

member_10027098
9th Aug 2012, 01:06
I do not think that Final Fantasy needs to leave the world of Final Fantasy XIII. There is still very much to discover. However, I expect Lightning's story to be wrapped up with whatever it is that Square Enix will announce on September 1.

Despite what people may think, XIII and XIII-2 are actually very successful games. XIII is the fastest-selling Final Fantasy game, and in about a year-and-a-half's time after its release, it sold just over six million units. As for XIII-2, it sold around 2.5 million units in only five months. Combined, they have sold 9.6 million units--that's more units in less time than Final Fantasy X and X-2 have in the many years that they have been available. XIII alone has sold more copies than Final Fantasy IX.

I'm not saying that it's the best Final Fantasy title, but it is certainly not the worst. Numbers talk, as do reviews, which are nearly all in favor of both XIII and XIII-2. In these aspects, the two games stand well among their numbered companions.

I want to bring up one more thing. This generation of game development has steered in a very different direction compared to former generations. Western games have greatly influenced the direction taken in many games developed in Japan. As developers attempt to appeal to the widest audience possible, they must recognize the changes in what gamers are looking for, and for Square Enix, gamers outside of Japan make up a very large part of their audience. A franchise like Final Fantasy has to be very careful in the direction it goes at this point. With XIII being a success, I feel Square Enix had to continue pursuing this direction, as certainly Versus XIII was, I assume, not quite finished. Obviously, they heard the major complaints for XIII and made necessary changes in XIII-2 while keeping intact a very precious concept in Japanese RPGs these days, one that is a key definition in the Final Fantasy franchise (story-telling). In my opinion, they wanted to finish out Lightning's saga before introducing a new direction for the franchise, one that may very well change the franchise forever, being released in a generation where freedom and choice are now cherished above all else. I sincerely hope that fans and newcomers alike appreciate what Versus XIII will present, or the franchise may face a drastic fall. Personally, I will continue to appreciate what Square Enix does for gamers around the world.

Jones24
19th Aug 2012, 21:37
Who is with me in the belief that Final Fantasy NEEDS to leave the World of XIII. If you like it or not, isn't time we moved on and learned of other heroes adventures in a new setting? I'll be the first to admit, I completely dislike the universe represented by XIII, but it goes beyond that. Not since VII have we had so many spin off titles, and the sad thing is, unlike VII, all these sequels are supposed to "fix" what is wrong with XIII. I just don't care anymore!!! XIII's World is just so bland, and the creaters don't think 2 games are enough. Do we really need another game with the mindless leveling of crystalarium? Do we really have to explore the mythos of characters that half we don't even care about? Do we get new characters only to realize the same broken leveling system is in play? With all your research and development stating that everyone loved VI, VII, and XII, it's not that difficult to tell what your audience wants. We want a fully HD steam punk Final Fantasy. We want villains in huge armor that look threatining, not like Axel Rose. We want a variety of summons and magic that can be used by everyone, and multiple ways to learn them such as the esper, or materia system. We want heroes that don't look like grade school kids. We want a main guy that we would follow, (not emo, though I know Cloud is probably the most popular protagonist of Final Fantasy ever and he was emo, we gotta draw the line somewhere,). I wont get into the linearity thing, you know and fixed that, and we thank you. NOW LISTEN AND REALIZE THE RPG WORLD IS TIRED OF XIII!!!

100% agree with everything you said

member_10199512
22nd Aug 2012, 16:03
I personally dont care where they take the final fantasy series i like all the games. I just would say that if they were to show anyones story Fang and Vanille would be the better characters because there is soo much unknown about them. You learn a decent amount about all characters in 13/13-2 but i think those 2 would have the best and most interesting back story!! but i mean if they feel they need to show what else happens with lightning so be it hell if they feel like making a game like that for each character i would probably buy them all except hope just because idc about him.

I do agree that it would be cool to see brand new characters in a new game though!! i mean excluding 14 which is an mmo and i mean not my peice of pie. so a 15 would be good get a new world and vibe would deffinitly be good

on a not about 13 though i love how EVERYONE!! Says that game sucked but honestly i think they did an amazing job like yeah they could have added some more things but i mean it might have messed with the mood of the game which i feel was basically perfect. I also think its hilarious how everyone hated hope for like *****ing the entire game but every character at a moment where they did it! i mean look at snow,sazh, hell even lightning. i personally think people picked on hope cause he was the youngest and they needed a reason to hate the game!! and it being linear isnt a good enough reason like EVERY game is linear up to a point where they make it exploreable. also if no one noticed towns would of ruined the fact that they were runing from an army and just trying to survive!!

member_10027098
22nd Aug 2012, 17:23
I could guarantee a million times over that if XIII/XIII-2 had a different title, the game would have been praised, but because it has the title of Final Fantasy, all the fans come out and single out all the "flaws" (only graphics seem to be the middle ground, as far as I have seen). Final Fantasy has always been about the evolution of a wonderful RPG series. Not just about that, but it still holds true.

We'd better learn to embrace change, or we won't see innovation, and the game industry as a whole will wither.

Arietta
23rd Aug 2012, 01:00
personally ive been playing FF since 1 was released on the Nes i own FF 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 x2 11 12 13 advent children dirge of cerberus the spirits with in crystal chronicles

FF13 was a piece of garbage the only FF that ever put me to sleep playing it

FF13 doesnt deserve to be final fantasy the game felt like i wasnt even really playing a game but felt like i was watching some sci fi movie

with a horrible cast i actually had more fun playing the last remnant than final fantasy 13 square you need to drop your attitude that you think we know what we want even when were telling you different

heres what i have to say on why 13 sold well it sold on graphics aa 4 year wait and all the hype they gave it comparing it to FF7 in the commericials is what truly sold the game

"Death awaits the over confident remeber that" Nel Zelphyr

member_10078668
23rd Aug 2012, 15:10
Some of you seem to forget that previous Final Fantasy titles have also ended on cliffhangers. You didn't see Squaresoft popping out sequels after sequels for those games to wrap up everything. The point was to let people wonder, allow players to come up with their own ideas of how the stories end. (Part of the whole role-playing thing that happens to come with role-playing games.) That's what allows an interesting story to stay with you, when you don't know certain details or how some stuff plays out. The magic disappears once every little thing is explained.

Ever since Final Fantasy X, SquareEnix has turned into a sequel factory instead of improving on game mechanics with the next title. No one wants to make up their own stories anymore, they just want Square to spoonfeed them every little loophole and detail that wasn't in the game. (And then you've got the Kingdom Hearts series with their multiple re-releases/FINAL MIX, which makes me wonder if Square even bothers having deadlines anymore since they're just going to add on stuff they forgot to add after release anyhow.)

member_10027098
23rd Aug 2012, 17:13
Some of you seem to forget that previous Final Fantasy titles have also ended on cliffhangers. You didn't see Squaresoft popping out sequels after sequels for those games to wrap up everything. The point was to let people wonder, allow players to come up with their own ideas of how the stories end. (Part of the whole role-playing thing that happens to come with role-playing games.) That's what allows an interesting story to stay with you, when you don't know certain details or how some stuff plays out. The magic disappears once every little thing is explained.

Ever since Final Fantasy X, SquareEnix has turned into a sequel factory instead of improving on game mechanics with the next title. No one wants to make up their own stories anymore, they just want Square to spoonfeed them every little loophole and detail that wasn't in the game. (And then you've got the Kingdom Hearts series with their multiple re-releases/FINAL MIX, which makes me wonder if Square even bothers having deadlines anymore since they're just going to add on stuff they forgot to add after release anyhow.)

Having a hard time telling what your stance here is. You seem to be arguing for both sides.

Kuja9001
23rd Aug 2012, 18:21

Just so you know SquareSoft made FFX-2.

FFX-2 released on March 13th of 03 and Square merged in April of 03.

AyaFarron
23rd Aug 2012, 19:13
This is what I was saying when they wouldn't stop with all the FFVII trash. Oh, but I don't remember anyone complaining then?
Let them make the games they want to make.

member_10078541
25th Aug 2012, 19:19
Spamming a forum with "This sucks" doesn't help the programmers. Instead of complaining, give them suggestions on how to transform it into a game worthy of being well received in North America. So far 2.0 looks awesome and I can't wait for more updates. Only thing I would complain about is the money I'll need to save up to construct a computer that can handle it... :(

member_10027098
26th Aug 2012, 17:27
Spamming a forum with "This sucks" doesn't help the programmers. Instead of complaining, give them suggestions on how to transform it into a game worthy of being well received in North America. So far 2.0 looks awesome and I can't wait for more updates. Only thing I would complain about is the money I'll need to save up to construct a computer that can handle it... :(

I think you're in the wrong thread. :) This is about Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, not Final Fantasy XIV.

bigtakilla
8th Sep 2012, 09:53
VII ended with the first game. It had side stories due to the popularity and demand for more stories of the series because of it's great characters, memorable story, ample amount of mini games, and vast customization of armor, spells, summons, and transportation. THERE IS NO VII-2.

FF XIII had a game, and everyone couldn't wait to buy it because it was the first Final Fantasy to be in HD, so people wandered how it could be bad. Then it was released to GREAT sales numbers thanks to the fans who wanted to see a fully HD Final Fantasy realized, and we got the first 3D "side scrolling" Final Fantasy ever. Everyone including myself will praise the graphics, but most didn't like the extremely limited customization of it, characters who all seem style over substance, lack of upgradable armor, 3 party playing style where no character really had any flaws (such as in previous installments mages or summoners would have extremely low HP, but made up for it with extremely powerful magic attacks. Or a tank or soldier class hit an enemy for medium damage, but had better armor so they would take less damage.), they were all pretty much carbon copies of each other from the beginning of the game due to the crystalarium system, useless generic summons that are not interchangable, an end badguy from XIII that I honestly can't remember it was so forgettable, no shops (and no, the characters running from the Army is no reason for why there isn't any shops. In a lot of RPG's you're running from an Army, or government, ect, and there are shops in them), no mini games, no controll over the airship, and that's just what I can think of now. So due to the fact that it was all style over substance it EARNED the name Twinal Fantasy off of a certain movie that is all style and no substance.

So then they released Twinal Fantasy XIII-2. Now I remember that end guy, Axel Rose! Then blah blah blah, time travel, two characters front and center we don't really care for, and a constant praise for how it "fixed" the problem people had with XIII's linearity. Well it did, bravo!!! But you know what it took away? They entire freaking cast of characters down to two, and then copped out by giving you monsters.... Ughhhh... Oh, it did also improve the completion time, and there was the chocolina "shops" and I use the term very loosely because the customization was still a freaking joke. The characters also had different stats and felt like different characters when you leveled up, but just barely. It seems like they improved on most of my complaints from Twinal Fantasy XIII, but COMPLETELY half assed and just as bare minimumly as they possibly could. Was it a better experience, sure, but the two biggest problems the cast and still a lack of customization killed it. If you wanna praise it for passing as the most mundane installment of the franchise that's on you.

So that's what I want for my next FF. I'm not one of those guys who is just a hater, and just say things suck. There are a huge amount of reasons why I dislike 13 and want a new world. If you also look at the sales numbers people will see that the second one sold about half as well as the first one. I wonder why? Now let's see how the third installment does. I'll be buying it used from gamestop for $17 again, and I'm sure releasing it in 3 parts besides making it a multi disk game and coming out with dlc has nothing to do with just making money. A game doesn't get the title best RPG ever from me just because it has the title Final Fantasy attached to it, and hope all you fans who have no complaints (you know you can have complaints and still be a fan) with the XIII world enjoy your 3d railed button masher.

member_10027098
12th Sep 2012, 09:27
VII ended with the first game. It had side stories due to the popularity and demand for more stories of the series because of it's great characters, memorable story, ample amount of mini games, and vast customization of armor, spells, summons, and transportation. THERE IS NO VII-2.

FF XIII had a game, and everyone couldn't wait to buy it because it was the first Final Fantasy to be in HD, so people wandered how it could be bad. Then it was released to GREAT sales numbers thanks to the fans who wanted to see a fully HD Final Fantasy realized, and we got the first 3D "side scrolling" Final Fantasy ever. Everyone including myself will praise the graphics, but most didn't like the extremely limited customization of it, characters who all seem style over substance, lack of upgradable armor, 3 party playing style where no character really had any flaws (such as in previous installments mages or summoners would have extremely low HP, but made up for it with extremely powerful magic attacks. Or a tank or soldier class hit an enemy for medium damage, but had better armor so they would take less damage.), they were all pretty much carbon copies of each other from the beginning of the game due to the crystalarium system, useless generic summons that are not interchangable, an end badguy from XIII that I honestly can't remember it was so forgettable, no shops (and no, the characters running from the Army is no reason for why there isn't any shops. In a lot of RPG's you're running from an Army, or government, ect, and there are shops in them), no mini games, no controll over the airship, and that's just what I can think of now. So due to the fact that it was all style over substance it EARNED the name Twinal Fantasy off of a certain movie that is all style and no substance.

So then they released Twinal Fantasy XIII-2. Now I remember that end guy, Axel Rose! Then blah blah blah, time travel, two characters front and center we don't really care for, and a constant praise for how it "fixed" the problem people had with XIII's linearity. Well it did, bravo!!! But you know what it took away? They entire freaking cast of characters down to two, and then copped out by giving you monsters.... Ughhhh... Oh, it did also improve the completion time, and there was the chocolina "shops" and I use the term very loosely because the customization was still a freaking joke. The characters also had different stats and felt like different characters when you leveled up, but just barely. It seems like they improved on most of my complaints from Twinal Fantasy XIII, but COMPLETELY half assed and just as bare minimumly as they possibly could. Was it a better experience, sure, but the two biggest problems the cast and still a lack of customization killed it. If you wanna praise it for passing as the most mundane installment of the franchise that's on you.

So that's what I want for my next FF. I'm not one of those guys who is just a hater, and just say things suck. There are a huge amount of reasons why I dislike 13 and want a new world. If you also look at the sales numbers people will see that the second one sold about half as well as the first one. I wonder why? Now let's see how the third installment does. I'll be buying it used from gamestop for $17 again, and I'm sure releasing it in 3 parts besides making it a multi disk game and coming out with dlc has nothing to do with just making money. A game doesn't get the title best RPG ever from me just because it has the title Final Fantasy attached to it, and hope all you fans who have no complaints (you know you can have complaints and still be a fan) with the XIII world enjoy your 3d railed button masher.

There is just so much wrong with this post. You should read through it, and you might find contradictions.

bigtakilla
12th Sep 2012, 18:16
Not really sure of where I'm contradicting myself. If it's about XIII-2 where I said they HALF ASSED improved a lot of the gameplay issues and then at the bottom call it a railed button masher, it still is. XIII-2 hasn't improved the game to where it leaves behind it's 3D railed button masher title. But please, enlighten me to where I contradict myself. XIII-2 did improve, but did not fix the Twinal Fantasy XIII's problems.

ashes_to_midgar
18th Sep 2012, 22:50
This thread isn't exactly about whether or not XIII had a good story and characters, I realize that. However, I was bothered by a lot of the posts I read bashing the game's character development and story. Furthermore, absolutely none of people that brought accusations of the game having a "bland world" and "badly developed, one dimensional character" provided no tangible support for their arguments. I, however, can. The game had one of the best casts of the series, and a great story and world. And if you take the time to read this, I'll explain why.

My Observations

First of all, you're basing your ideas that the characters are badly written because they are flawed. And they are definitely flawed. Atleast in the beginning, Lightning is standoff-ish, caring only for her mission and no one else, Hope is a spoiled, whimpy mama's boy, Snow is self-righteous, etc. Flawed characters are very hard to write. The goal of 3-demensionality in a character is that they have noticeable flaws. Not just Cloud-style "moody in the beginning, nice in the end." It's what makes them human and relateable. Rather then the typical flawless 14-year old jrpg hero and his best friends go to save the world from evil.

Let's start with Lightning. In the beginning she's something similar to a SOLDIER, and seems to be the typical sultry moody hero/heroine. She believes fully in her orders and hates l'Cie, as she should, being a resident of Cocoon. Given the cast's predicament, she is anti-social and uncaring toward her fellow cast members. As the game progresses she becomes a true voice of leadership and inspiration, giving advice to the other characters and helping them battle their demons. She also becomes a true believer in the purpose and power of l'Cie. She goes from "You would've just been [l'Cie] targets to me" to when Hope's eidolon appears, saying "that's not an ordeal, thats a gift." She becomes a sister/pseudo mother figure for Hope, and gradually warms up to Snow as well.

Next up is Hope. In the beginning, Hope is the biggest wuss you'll ever see. He won't handle a gun, he's constantly whining. Once he loses his mother and travels with Lightning, he begins to grow more mature and responsible. His anger over the death of his mother almost drives him to murder, even. As the game progresses Hope grows from snotty-nosed brat to responsible and determined, and sort of the voice of reason when the "grownups" are squabbling.

Vaniile seems kind of a dumb, giddy slut in the beginning and later turns out to be even more deceitful then we could have imagined, pretending to forget her and Fang's original focus just so she doesn't have to deal with it. Snow becomes the optimistic "rock," Sazh offers much needed comic relief and his morals are challanged as to what he would do to save his son. Fang faced with either remaining a loyal l'Cie, or accepting the community of Cocoon as her own people that she shouldn't do harm to.

Professionals

I can cite sources supporting my arguments on the character development issue. One being 1up.com, the long-time site used by Electronic Gaming Monthly, a magazine famous for their harsh reviews:

"More importantly, the cast of FFXIII genuinely works well together. The game may not feature towns or significant NPC interaction, but in their place are countless minor conversations between the heroes. The world-building normally provided by townsfolk is set aside in favor of character-building through party interactions, and it goes a long way toward creating something truly rare: An RPG party that actually makes sense. The cast is your standard crew of strangers drawn together by fate, but rather than simply fight together because "that's how games work," they spend much of the early game trying their best to go their own separate ways. By the time the story pulls them inevitably together, they've worked through their differences and demons and feel like comrades" - Jeremy Perish, 1up.com.

"The writers know that RPG stories coast on contrivance, so they take the time to make sure FFXIII's developments are consistent and rational." - Jeremy Perish, 1up.com

"the entire cast is great... What was more intriguing to me, beyond the standard growth of the characters, was the dynamic established between the two worlds of Final Fantasy XIII -- Cocoon and Pulse -- as well as the relationship between humans and their fal'Cie counterparts. Like various religions of the world, the mythology of Final Fantasy XIII incorporates god-like beings (the fal'Cie) that protect humanity. These themes are extremely important to the plot of Final Fantasy XIII and I very much enjoyed them." Ryan Clements, IGN.com

The Lesson

Someone also said there was no lesson to be learned. Really?? The entire cast of characters and general population of Cocoon/Pulse realize that their use of false-gods for protection, food,water, energy, sunlight, etc. Is wrong and that mankind needs to build their own world and provide their own resources. Can't think of a better lesson than that.

member_10078668
1st Oct 2012, 16:20
Having a hard time telling what your stance here is. You seem to be arguing for both sides.

I just want them to move on already. They did their best, it didn't work out entirely the way they wanted it to. Learn from their mistakes and make the next installment.

member_10706344
10th Oct 2012, 13:38
The game has a history to tell and the fans that like the game want to know how that history will end. If you dont like XIII fine, but keeping bashing it, telling that the series must move on without the story of XIII ends is just selfishness of your part. But im glad that square-enix dont hear that part of fans that just bash the game and with LR will give us the end that this great history deserves.

member_10078668
10th Oct 2012, 14:56
The game has a history to tell and the fans that like the game want to know how that history will end. If you dont like XIII fine, but keeping bashing it, telling that the series must move on without the story of XIII ends is just selfishness of your part. But im glad that square-enix dont hear that part of fans that just bash the game and with LR will give us the end that this great history deserves.

Fans wanted to know the history of the past 12 games as well (aside from FFXI since that's an ongoing game). back then, Square didn't give in by making a compilation for each title. So why do FFVII fans and FFXIII fans get this special treatment while all the other FF fandoms are left in the dust?

member_10723676
10th Oct 2012, 15:29

Fans wanted to know the history of the past 12 games as well (aside from FFXI since that's an ongoing game). back then, Square didn't give in by making a compilation for each title. So why do FFVII fans and FFXIII fans get this special treatment while all the other FF fandoms are left in the dust?

Well I believe, IV had The After Years, X had a sequel, and XII is a part of the Ivalice mythos, not to mention it has it's own spin-off. My personal opinion, but the world and mythology of XIII is one of the most intriguing in the series to date. Plus this is probably how Square will operate from now on, maybe they're giving a big f u to tradition. I can see XV having it's own realm with it's tales and spin-offs/sequels, if it's successful.

bigtakilla
10th Oct 2012, 22:04
True there was the Ivalice games, and there was FFIV Afteryears, but they were released on handhelds or a game marketplace, and by different teams than the creators of the original games to allow the main Final Fantasy cannon team to create the next number of the series. X-2 I'll give you, I'm not sure whether the same team created that or not, but it just felt like shovel-ware to begin with so I hope not. I think the moral of the story was that a LOT of people dislike this mythos and World of this installment, and a **** you to tradition kind of feels like a **** you to the fans when they spend all their resources on a World half the people either dislike or are indifferent about. I've already made up my mind to buy every new Final Fantasy used from the Mitt Romney of the video game retail World known as Gamestop, and then only when the price drops and I can get the game for $17. That way I know for a fact that absolutely none of my money is going to the egotistical company known as Square-Enix. It's just a little shocking to hear some of the "fans" comment on these forums saying ignorant things like "I wish people would quit complaining and just enjoy the games Square-Enix gives us." It must be nice to be one of those mindless followers. And I can understand the popularity of the World and mythos in this game; however, I cannot get over the lack of depth in the mechanics of the game, a once upon a time defining characteristic of RPG's. People are gonna like a characters personality or dislike them, but I think all of us who want to leave the XIII universe dislikes the Paradigm system the way it is now, which makes all the characters practically carbon copies of each other, and how the game uses auto battle, making the player pretty much obsolete. You can either like the science fiction aspect of the series or not, that's opinion. But the facts of the game are that the dungeons are linear, with no puzzles to solve, or maze qualities. If I wanted a go from beginning to end of a level in a game, I'd play an action game like Legend Of Zelda. (Which in my opinion, any of the Legend of Zelda's Worlds and dungeons are FAR more in depth and deliver a far better challenge than the World of XIII.) It seems like everyone is arguing over the wrong points, who cares about the mythos and World. While they are kind of the gasoline on an already blazing forest fire of my hate for this World, but the point is it's just the peanut on top of a **** cake.

vitornavarrete
11th Oct 2012, 00:14
True there was the Ivalice games, and there was FFIV Afteryears, but they were released on handhelds or a game marketplace, and by different teams than the creators of the original games to allow the main Final Fantasy cannon team to create the next number of the series. X-2 I'll give you, I'm not sure whether the same team created that or not, but it just felt like shovel-ware to begin with so I hope not. I think the moral of the story was that a LOT of people dislike this mythos and World of this installment, and a **** you to tradition kind of feels like a **** you to the fans when they spend all their resources on a World half the people either dislike or are indifferent about. I've already made up my mind to buy every new Final Fantasy used from the Mitt Romney of the video game retail World known as Gamestop, and then only when the price drops and I can get the game for $17. That way I know for a fact that absolutely none of my money is going to the egotistical company known as Square-Enix. It's just a little shocking to hear some of the "fans" comment on these forums saying ignorant things like "I wish people would quit complaining and just enjoy the games Square-Enix gives us." It must be nice to be one of those mindless followers. And I can understand the popularity of the World and mythos in this game; however, I cannot get over the lack of depth in the mechanics of the game, a once upon a time defining characteristic of RPG's. People are gonna like a characters personality or dislike them, but I think all of us who want to leave the XIII universe dislikes the Paradigm system the way it is now, which makes all the characters practically carbon copies of each other, and how the game uses auto battle, making the player pretty much obsolete. You can either like the science fiction aspect of the series or not, that's opinion. But the facts of the game are that the dungeons are linear, with no puzzles to solve, or maze qualities. If I wanted a go from beginning to end of a level in a game, I'd play an action game like Legend Of Zelda. (Which in my opinion, any of the Legend of Zelda's Worlds and dungeons are FAR more in depth and deliver a far better challenge than the World of XIII.) It seems like everyone is arguing over the wrong points, who cares about the mythos and World. While they are kind of the gasoline on an already blazing forest fire of my hate for this World, but the point is it's just the peanut on top of a **** cake.

I don't think that's quite accurate at all. Lots of people enjoyed Type-0 and there are tons of people waiting for Versus XIII (it can still be a bomb, though), many of those people didn't like FF XIII either. But those games, togheter with XIII, share the same mythos. Sure, I can give you that many didn't enjoy Toriyama/Kitase way of handling those mythos and the world they created around it. But still, I see a general acceptance of the whole Fabula Nova Crisalis project, at least when it was first announced. The thing is that there were just too many problems involving it: many people didn't enjoy XIII, Versus is taking damn too long, no localisation of Type-0. People bashing XIII isn't only because it was a bad game (and I do not agree with this affirmation) it's a sum of those things I mentioned before. We could even include FF XIV fiasco togheter with them. But the only title getting all the bashing is XIII, since almost no one cares about XIV (it's just a mmo, they say) and XIII, togheter with XIII-2, is the only title released here in NA right now. Reality is, if Versus XIII was already out there would be people bashing it and saying XIII was better and people saying the opposite. This will happen, you can write it down, I'm betting 10 bucks.
Back to topic: don't expect any new Final Fantasy main entry to be a stand alone title. The amount of money that they are spending to create engines are increasing exponentially every new generation. The amount of money they spent to create Crystal Tools/White engine would be enough to do more than a couple of FF VII and a hundred FF I. I don't know how much easier Luminous will make it, but I still don't think we will see any stand alone numbered Final Fantasy, because engines aren't the only thing that made games more expensive. Oh, XII didn't got a follow up probabily due to the release date being so close to end of the PS2 life, but I think its International version was the one with the biggest number of improvements ever. If XV releases on PS3 it probably won't have any spin-off/sequel on the PS3, but on the 3DS/Vita. But the first Final Fantasy releasing on the next generation (NextBox/PS4/WiiU) will have, at least, another title linked to it on the same plataforms. Sure, I'm supposing it won't be a bomb and sell less than 1 million. Anyways, getting used to this idea would be nice, because if you don't like the next FF all this frustation of "SE not moving on" will be there once again.

bigtakilla
11th Oct 2012, 04:52
VERY TRUE, You are 100% correct!!!!! I have no problem admitting that. A lot of people did like type -0, and I know all the **** jockying for Versus (and there's F'ING PLENTY OF IT!) The point is Type-0 is NOTHING like the cannon XIII game. The only similarity is the World, and mythos, which I already explained is not the argument. I can get past the World and Mythos of the XIII universe. And VS XIII isn't even out yet, but yet again looks like a completely different battle system and game mechanics set in the XIII World as of currently. In some way, I honestly think we see eye to eye on some of these issues, but both of our beliefs will never let us say we come to an agreement. As stated above, my problem is with the game mechanics, or should I say, the F'ING COMPLETE LACK THERE OF, not the world of XIII.

bigtakilla
11th Oct 2012, 04:57
Oh, I thought I'd give perspective to the current game mechanics we have at hand right now. It honestly seems like a VERY bad Tales Of game. That's honestly the way the game's mechanics seem to feel to me.

ashes_to_midgar
11th Oct 2012, 12:09
Oh, I thought I'd give perspective to the current game mechanics we have at hand right now. It honestly seems like a VERY bad Tales Of game. That's honestly the way the game's mechanics seem to feel to me.

You're incredibly misinformed.

bigtakilla
11th Oct 2012, 13:34
Being misinformed would mean I'm basing my perspective off of what I see or am told. You can check my profile, I registered my XIII-2 and did have XIII registered (back when they had actual avatars I got the uniform for my avatar. Sucks they took the avatars off.) I'm not misinformed as you have jumped to the conclusion in believing, it's my opinion based on how I felt after I played the games there slick.

artvaro
13th Nov 2012, 01:54
i (http://www.napleshop.com/) like (http://napleshop.tumblr.com/) http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif (http://naplestudio.wordpress.com/)

iTables
3rd Dec 2013, 01:19
No. If they keep releasing XIII games that means they're getting a lot of money out of it. Stop buying the game and they'll stop making it.

jimmylittle007
27th Dec 2013, 00:09
It seems like SquareEnix has run out of ideas, like they've released the same game a hundred times over...same cheesy dialogue, laughably unrealistic characters with terrible voice acting so bad that you're reduced to laughter during the 'serious' scenes. I get the sense that the series is being developed by really, really, REALLY old Japanese men who haven't played a game since...I dunno...some obscure PSOne title...Vagrant Story or something. The same kinda folks who thought "The Spirits Within" was a great film concept XD Seriously though, FFXIII looked and sounded fantastic, but for me it was all but unplayable...I've been raised playing Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout...RPG's where you can change the world...so the FFXIII style of the world being a backdrop you never really interact with, and team members that are nothing more than cliches from American children's sitcoms in the 90's...just didn't cut it. I've purchased FFXIII-2 now (well, got it as a Christmas gift) and I've heard it's a bit more 'hands on', so I've got high hopes for it.
In general though, I think the era where Japanese developers set the standard for computer games is well and truly over, they're more like a cute old grandad these days, drooling into a bowl of oatmeat and jabbering on about what games were like "in his day" whilst everyone else has moved on. Even Nintendo seems to be struggling now the Wii fad has passed (and that fad never involved a lot of actual games as much as it did selling a lot of consoles that people realised afterwards they never used and had no games for).
Basically though, it's a computer game...if you like it: like it. If you don't: don't. Nobody really gives a ****, this is the internet...it's like that.
Ooooo...I got FF Dimensions on tablet the other day and that's been kinda fun to play on the train and stuff...it's totes old school.