PDA

View Full Version : X-men 2 stole an idea from LOK

kain989
5th Sep 2005, 10:15
When i read bloodo men 2 dialogue again I noticed that Xmen 2 used the idea of the device in the movie

the builder said

The Device was to channel the mental energy of this creature, and direct it onto Nosgoth. It would attune the creature's mind to kill all living creatures except for my race. Before it could be completed, however, I was imprisoned here, and the rest of my race was banished to another, far more terrible realm.

It would be great if eidos can get a compensation out of this and use it for LOK6 :D

Gabriel Edson
5th Sep 2005, 12:41
nice find. :)

i never considered the simlilarities between those two machines before. now that i think about it, it does sound a lot like the same thing (except lok's device was only intended for destruction).

Vampmaster
5th Sep 2005, 14:15
The X-Men were out (as the comic) long before the Kain series and cerebro has been there since the beginning. AFAIK, the only difference is that Xavier had to want to kill who he thought about. I don't think the Eidos would rip off X-Men either so I'd say it's just a coincidence.

Riovanes
6th Sep 2005, 01:08
Gotta go with Vampmaster on this one - the X-Men have been around since long before even I (and yes, kids, Rio's old) was born - and Xavier's use of Cerebro can be traced back to the X-Men issues of the 70's - LONG before LoK or BO2 were ever even conceived of.

That having been said - I understand that not everyone here has the benefit of being over the legal drinking age in the US - but please, please, please - before you go saying that any long-standing series has been ripping off anyone else, DO check into these things.

For quick reference: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (with J. Depp) is a remake of a very old film which was based on a book. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is a film adaptation of a book series by C.S. Lewis. The War of the Worlds is a film adaptation of a novel which was an adaptation of a radio play which caused a nation-wide panic back in the 30's - and which spawned a previous film adaptation of its own. And before I forget - the Lord of the Rings? Yeah, that series is older than my DAD - so let's not go talking about how it ripped off anything, either.

Rio - the kid with the master's degree in English Literature. Read, kids - TV is killing your brain.

blincoln
6th Sep 2005, 04:37
Feh, whatEVAR.

Lord of the Rings: obvious ripoff of Warcraft. I couldn't figure out why they left out Arthras, until I heard about this other film series in production about some guy named "Elric of Melnibone." Obviously they figured they'd try and obfuscate their sources AND make money on TWO SEPARATE FRANCHISES!

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe: Mostly stolen from Harry Potter. Everything else is from Warcraft. I can't believe how many people are out there stealing Blizzard's ideas.

War of the Worlds is at least more clever in its intellectual piracy, in that it is based (uncredited of course) on the little-known British miniseries Invasion Earth, with elements from Independence Day and Earth vs the Flying Saucers.

Umah Bloodomen
6th Sep 2005, 05:43
Priceless!

Riovanes
6th Sep 2005, 14:40
War of the Worlds is at least more clever in its intellectual piracy, in that it is based (uncredited of course) on the little-known British miniseries Invasion Earth, with elements from Independence Day and Earth vs the Flying Saucers.

Dude, u r 4-getting that WotW is TOTALLY ripped off from StarCraft too!!!

And you call yourself part of the Blizzard Squad... You're not fit for BS anymore!!!

blincoln
6th Sep 2005, 17:27
Okay, good point, but it's not *as* direct a ripoff of Starcraft as the other sources.

Pretty much everyone rips off Blizzard in some way. I was playing this old arcade game the other day that was *such* a crappy knockoff of Diablo. I mean, come on. Nice try calling the Thief an "Elf," and the Amazon a "Valkyrie," guys. "Blue Wizard needs food badly?" more like "Atari needs to stop stealing Blizzard's ideas badly!"

Riovanes
6th Sep 2005, 18:48
"Elf is eating all the food!"

"Elf is shooting all the food!"

"Elf just don't like food no more!!!"

:p

fneh
6th Sep 2005, 21:27
What the............?!?!?!

Gabriel Edson
6th Sep 2005, 22:18
on the serious side, when playing the first few terran missions in starcraft, did anyone else feel like they were playing starship troopers?

Omega
6th Sep 2005, 22:43
On a serious note.. I too am getting a tad tired off "LoK is like <insert random game here>" threads.

On an even more serious note, this thread hasn't made me laugh so much since 8pm this evening (when I found out my deputy manager is quitting!).

fneh
7th Sep 2005, 18:10
On a serious note.. I too am getting a tad tired off "LoK is like <insert random game here>" threads.

On an even more serious note, this thread hasn't made me laugh so much since 8pm this evening (when I found out my deputy manager is quitting!).

That sentence made my head hurt...

I'm sick of "'XXX' Ripped off LOK MAN!" too.

I'm waiting for someone to say star wars got the idea for light sabres from raziel next....... I already remember reading that the Balrog in LOTR is a rip off of the LOK fire demon........... :rolleyes:

rabban
7th Sep 2005, 20:41
fneh, your post is a ripoff of all the previous posts about being sick of people saying lok has been ripped off :p

fneh
8th Sep 2005, 22:01
fneh, your post is a ripoff of all the previous posts about being sick of people saying lok has been ripped off :p

Oh how the bitter irony is piercing my heart........

Apocrypha Roxy
8th Sep 2005, 22:20
This post is ripping everyone else's posts off RIGHT NOW.

And there's nothing you can do about it.

*copyrights this post* HARHARHAR!!!

Gabriel Edson
8th Sep 2005, 22:46
This post is ripping everyone else's posts off RIGHT NOW.

And there's nothing you can do about it.

*copyrights this post* HARHARHAR!!!

ha-HA!! by removing the quote tags, i posted your post as if it were my post. and theres nothing YOU can do about it. :p :D

okay, i think we have completely strip-mined this thread of any originality. unless of course there is one more joke that can be beaten out of its decaying corpse, that i cant think of. any takers? :p :D

Omega
8th Sep 2005, 23:27
Sure.

People need to stop seeing patterns in things that arn't there and/or have no relation.

People need to read up on Occam's Razor.

After all, is LoK really a rip of X-Men/DMC/Blood Rayne? (Or visa versa)!

Hell, what next?

Bram Stoker stole the idea for vampires from Crystal Dyanmics?!

Gabriel Edson
9th Sep 2005, 00:25
well, i may be commiting social suicide (as far as these forums go) here, but i think you all need to lighten up. you can kindly point out to someone that, no, x-2 did NOT steal the idea of cerebro from LOK, rather than create a big scene and try to make the kid (kain989, in case anyone has forgotten) feel stupid for voicing his thought... when likely, hes just trying to make conversation. sheesh, people, really... there is such a thing as going too far.

you might have more positive contributors to this community if you didnt stomp on people who dont have something to say that you want to hear.

rabban
9th Sep 2005, 02:30
you might have more positive contributors to this community if you didnt stomp on people who dont have something to say that you want t---

*Rabban jumps in the air repeatedly while pointing at Gabriel Edson*

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!

The Amazing Rando
9th Sep 2005, 02:33
okay, i think we have completely strip-mined this thread of any originality. unless of course there is one more joke that can be beaten out of its decaying corpse, that i cant think of. any takers? :p :D

Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it! :p

kain989
9th Sep 2005, 07:43
The X-Men were out (as the comic) long before the Kain series and cerebro has been there since the beginning. AFAIK, the only difference is that Xavier had to want to kill who he thought about. I don't think the Eidos would rip off X-Men either so I'd say it's just a coincidence.

Well I did't know that cuz believe it or not guys i haven't read a comic book ever in fact it was only a couple of years ago when i first knew about these books.

kain989
9th Sep 2005, 07:50
well, i may be commiting social suicide (as far as these forums go) here, but i think you all need to lighten up. you can kindly point out to someone that, no, x-2 did NOT steal the idea of cerebro from LOK, rather than create a big scene and try to make the kid (kain989, in case anyone has forgotten) feel stupid for voicing his thought... when likely, hes just trying to make conversation. sheesh, people, really... there is such a thing as going too far.

you might have more positive contributors to this community if you didnt stomp on people who dont have something to say that you want to hear.

Well there isn't really anytghing i should be ashamed about . just cuz i feel clueless in the middle of comics maniancs doesn't mean the end of the world for me

anyway the whole thread was meant as a joke

It would be great if eidos can get a compensation out of this and use it for LOK6 :D

it looks u guys don't have a sense of humor, i heard there's a big sale on comic books these days u better convince ur parents to buy u a copy or two before it end

rabban
9th Sep 2005, 08:38
Well I did't know that cuz believe it or not guys i haven't read a comic book ever in fact it was only a couple of years ago when i first knew about these bo-

what pit did you so recently escape??

kain989
9th Sep 2005, 09:42
what pit did you so recently escape??

I have been in united states for 2 years now ,back in my country comic books isn't a part of our culture,our kids are smart enough to not fall into that crap :D

rabban
9th Sep 2005, 10:07
ok...so..... what country did you so recently escape??

Omega
9th Sep 2005, 12:55
it looks u guys don't have a sense of humor, i heard there's a big sale on comic books these days u better convince ur parents to buy u a copy or two before it end

Back atcha :)

Better have research and facts to back up threads, so go give your allowance to Mommy, and read up! :D

Riovanes
9th Sep 2005, 14:39
I have been in united states for 2 years now ,back in my country comic books isn't a part of our culture,our kids are smart enough to not fall into that crap :D

And some of us are even smart enough to hold master's degrees in literature and the written word - and STILL have read a comic or two during our childhood. I find your association of reading comic books with ignorance/stupidity/illiteracy to be the pinnacle of arrogant assumption, and frankly I think you're really overextending yourself in trying to respond to the things that were said here.

Given that I wasn't as nice as I could've been - I sometimes forget that there are people from other countries on this board - blame it on ethnocentrism (there's a word you won't find in your average X-Men issue), egotism, or whatever you like - the fact is that I made a cultural gaffe - and for that I apologize.

However, do not ever assume that just because people engage in a certain hobby that they are necessarily commensurate with any other stereotype associated with that hobby. I, for instance, am 6'4", 190 lbs., have been a professional instructor of Shuri-Ryu karate for the past six years, am currently working on a terminal (PhD) degree in English literature and writing pedagogy, am engaged to be married to a wonderful woman - and the last time my parents paid for something for me that wasn't a Christmas/birthday gift, I was still in highschool. I'm certain many of the other members here could make similar claims about their lives - just because we happen to like certain things does NOT make us all fat, illiterate slobs who can't haul our rotund backsides off the couch long enough to make the walk to a cabinet for another twinkie.

Kindly take your assumptions and put them where they belong - which would be the bodily orifice you obviously pulled them out of.

Thank you, that is all.

Vampmaster
9th Sep 2005, 14:56
Well I did't know that cuz believe it or not guys i haven't read a comic book ever in fact it was only a couple of years ago when i first knew about these books.

I was just letting you know it was a comic before the movie. I wasn't trying to insult you for not knowing that.

Gabriel Edson
10th Sep 2005, 00:48
*Rabban jumps in the air repeatedly while pointing at Gabriel Edson*

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!
SHENANIGANS?!?

last time i heard that word was in an episode of south park, when that carnival came in full of rip-offs and scams. just WHAT exactly are you trying to say? :p :D

rabban
10th Sep 2005, 01:10
last time i heard that word was in an episode of south park, when that carniv...

*again Rabban jumps in the air repeatedly while pointing at Gabriel Edson again*

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!

*clears throat*

not south park reference...super troopers.

1.The game is played by first saying "Shenanigans", then, the person who said it is allowed to hit or otherwise hurt anyone within earshot of them at the time that they said it. The main target tends to be the groin on males and the chest on females. People who are within earshot when "Shenanigans" is said must say the word "Mulligan" as soon as they hear it to prevent being a target. If someone is hit either before or while you are saying the word "Shenanigans" or after they have said "Mulligan", you are considered to have cheated and they get a free hit on you. Note that saying "Shenanigans" lasts indefinately until each person within earshot has said "Mulligan"

2. synonomous to bull....stuff! (aka. shens)

"I call shens!"

Gabriel Edson
10th Sep 2005, 01:47
oh, i see.

look, im not saying everyone should coddle the "kids" in this community, im just saying if people were a bit more encouraging and a bit more constructive with their criticism, and therefore less likely to intimidate and possibly even discourage members from continuing to post here, there might be more members here with fresh thoughts and fresh ideas to add to this forum. thats all.

rabban
10th Sep 2005, 06:39
...not saying your spouting bull....stuff....i was just saying we should playfully hit you for breaking the chain of fun going on here...and now...

*clears throat*

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!

Umah Bloodomen
10th Sep 2005, 17:07
Here's a thought; let's take the "shennaigans" through Private Channels (PM's and/or email) and refrain from detracting from this thread any further.

Thanks.

unimatrix2612
10th Sep 2005, 17:49
I too never considered the similarity of the Device and of Cerebro, but now that I do think about it - they are rather similar aren't they? But only in some ways. Cerebro's potential (with an appropriately powerful psychic) is nearly limitless. That relatively small machine could influence anybody on the Earth regardless of location. The Device needed a conduit to channel the destructive energy of the mass to the denizens of Nosgoth, so fundamentally very limited in comparison to Cerebro. Therefore, I think that they are very different things in most ways.

PS Professor X is my hero! :) I think it's really cool that Patrick Stewart played the part of Xavier - but I'm a bit ticked off that Xavier's part in the movies is so relatively small! We didn't see as much of him as I would have liked. . .

DJpick
10th Sep 2005, 20:45
You guys are forgetting two major elements. Cerebro was meant to be a manhunt device. It was a tracking device to find mutants (athough I don't remember the "I could kill everyone" part when I read the comics).

And the Device was intended to kill everyone. It couldn't directly "find" people, let alone be connected to the most powerful telepath in the world.

Also, the Device was a biological thing, cerebro was mechanical.

Gabriel Edson
10th Sep 2005, 21:51
Also, the Device was a biological thing, cerebro was mechanical.
i dont think thats true. cerebro is a machine designed to channel the mental energy of a powerful psychic. 'the device' is a machine designed to channel the mental energy of 'the mass'.

thats pretty much where the similarities end.

on a side note, 'the device' and 'the mass' are just about the most un-imaginative names ive ever heard...

Smoke_Z
11th Sep 2005, 02:38
Side note: it could've been called "the Thingy"

Y'know, when I first started reading the thread, I was thinking about the X-men movie, where Magneto's power (manifest in Rouge) was channeled through a machine and would end up killing everyone who wasn't a mutant. (Not its inteded purpose and a slow death, but still the ultimate result.)

A not-quite related note. There was a project that I abandoned just before I got interested in LOK. Upon returning to it, I realize that it is a ripoff of LOK. (I even have a manipulative old guy, though the rest of the stuff I noticed earlier.)

Gabriel Edson
11th Sep 2005, 03:49
Side note: it could've been called "the Thingy"
well at least then it would have comedic value... :p :D

unimatrix2612
11th Sep 2005, 12:54
on a side note, 'the device' and 'the mass' are just about the most un-imaginative names ive ever heard...
It's quite possible that their names in the hylden tongue are very imaginative and completely unpronounceable! :p I like "the Thingy"

Smoke_Z, now that you mention that machine of Magneto's - I'm thinking "duh!" (could use that duh smilie that Gabriel Edson's always banging on about lol)

Gabriel Edson
11th Sep 2005, 16:32
It's quite possible that their names in the hylden tongue are very imaginative and completely unpronounceable! :p I like "the Thingy"
well theres a fine idea for a 'band-aid' in the next game! <crosses fingers>

they could have kain say something like, "well, i called them 'the device' and 'the mass', and not their real Hylden names, because i failed Hylden in high school." ta-daa! problem solved. :p :D

rabban
11th Sep 2005, 20:32
I even have a manipulative old guy, though the rest of the stuff I noticed earlier.

there is always an old manipulative guy :D

kain989
12th Sep 2005, 08:35
ok...so..... what country did you so recently escape??

escape ??? I wouldn't say that, "miss" would be the right word

I miss a country that doesn't have homeless,a country where the education is free ,a country that believe that each citizen should have a house, a country that gives people 12,000 $ as a wedding gift, a country where the lowest salary is 1,000$ which could be raised to 1,300-2,000 depend on the size of the family, a country which its donation for needed countries over the past 40 years count in billions.

I will give u a hint : our last donation was 500 millions

Riovanes
12th Sep 2005, 14:45
escape ??? I wouldn't say that, "miss" would be the right word

I miss a country that doesn't have homeless,a country where the education is free ,a country that believe that each citizen should have a house, a country that gives people 12,000 $ as a wedding gift, a country where the lowest salary is 1,000$ which could be raised to 1,300-2,000 depend on the size of the family, a country which its donation for needed countries over the past 40 years count in billions.

I will give u a hint : our last donation was 500 millions

Okay, so let's not start a political/which country is best discussion here, okay? As has been said before, this is NOT the place for such things - there are plenty of political boards all over cyberspace - find one and posit your "my land is better than your land," opinions there, please.

For the record, the United States is the single most philanthropic (giving) nation in the world, on a per capita, percentage of national wealth and overall basis. No one gives more to world charities, relief efforts, etc. than the US. While some of our actions may be less pure than others, the fact is that we give more - in money, food, military and engineering aid - than any other nation on the planet. So let's not get into the, "which country gives more," discussion - because we do - even if we do some dumb things along the way.

Also - given the numbers you're quoting, I wonder if you're not just making up random statistics for this "utopia" of a nation you claim to be from. Try giving us a name - and then those of us with some cursory research skills will go and check out your claims.

Or are you afraid to be proven a liar? No country in the world can afford to give $12,000 to every one of its citizens as a wedding gift - it's simply fiscally impossible for any government to afford that, even if it does come out of tax money, because your average citizen does NOT pay twelve grand in taxes.

Sorry kid, but I'm calling your bluff on this one - either provide the name of an actual country so we can find out if you're full of it or not, or stop with this line of ridiculous claims.

Final note: if you say, "The Netherlands," you're completely full of it - it's an amazing area, and they have a very good system of laws if you're an advocate of personal liberty - but your monetary claims are still a pile of monkey stuff.

kain989
12th Sep 2005, 15:00
Okay, so let's not start a political/which country is best discussion here, okay? As has been said before, this is NOT the place for such things - there are plenty of political boards all over cyberspace - find one and posit your "my land is better than your land," opinions there, please.

For the record, the United States is the single most philanthropic (giving) nation in the world, on a per capita, percentage of national wealth and overall basis. No one gives more to world charities, relief efforts, etc. than the US. While some of our actions may be less pure than others, the fact is that we give more - in money, food, military and engineering aid - than any other nation on the planet. So let's not get into the, "which country gives more," discussion - because we do - even if we do some dumb things along the way.

Also - given the numbers you're quoting, I wonder if you're not just making up random statistics for this "utopia" of a nation you claim to be from. Try giving us a name - and then those of us with some cursory research skills will go and check out your claims.

Or are you afraid to be proven a liar? No country in the world can afford to give $12,000 to every one of its citizens as a wedding gift - it's simply fiscally impossible for any government to afford that, even if it does come out of tax money, because your average citizen does NOT pay twelve grand in taxes.

Sorry kid, but I'm calling your bluff on this one - either provide the name of an actual country so we can find out if you're full of it or not, or stop with this line of ridiculous claims.

Final note: if you say, "The Netherlands," you're completely full of it - it's an amazing area, and they have a very good system of laws if you're an advocate of personal liberty - but your monetary claims are still a pile of monkey stuff.

well i didn't intend to show off or something or start "my country is better discussion" ,in fact i never said that my country is better or anything .all i did is responding to someone who describe my country as a hell that one need to escape so i just wanted to clear things out.

iam from kuwait btw, so make sure u do ur research :)

Okay, so let's not start a political/which country is best discussion here,

For the record, the United States is the single most philanthropic (giving) nation in the world

hypocrisy as its best

oh i don't mind u calling me kid as long as its help u overcome ur psychological complex ;)

kain989
12th Sep 2005, 15:11
Kindly take your assumptions and put them where they belong - which would be the bodily orifice you obviously pulled them out of.

Thank you, that is all.

well i don't know why u so angry about that was a joke for god sake

Riovanes
12th Sep 2005, 15:14
well i didn't intend to show off or something or start "my country is better discussion" , all i did is responding to someone who describe my country as a hell that one need to escape so i just wanted to clear things out.

iam from kuwait btw, so make sure u do ur research :)

EDIT: oh i don't mind u calling me kid as long as its help u overcome ur psychological complex ;)

I don't believe anyone called your country a, "hell." The comment, "which country did you recently escape," was made because some members here cannot conceive of a life devoid of the entertainment avenues they themselves have access to - such as comic books, video games, etc. It is one of the great failings of modern society that we are so ensconced in our technological bubbles that we sometimes forget that there is, in fact, life outside of them.

The "kid," comment I make because you are almost certainly younger than I, unless you happen to be over 24. I call everyone younger than I am kid - it's not meant to be derogatory.

On a final note - in terms of, "doing my research," I would have, had you provided anything other than basal clues to your national origin. Your claims of monetary gifts by the state (re: Kuwaiti gov't) to married couples is still erroneous - and last I checked, the GNP and GDP of Kuwait put together still wouldn't allow for the base salary ranges you're talking about - it's possible that something has changed since that time (would've been my senior year in college, 2004), but I somehow doubt that the upswing would be THAT great in that short a time. Please refrain from making unfounded claims and then calling other people ignorant or saying they, "haven't done their research," when they question you on them - you'd be surprised how many of us are quite capable of catching you out in a lie.

This thread has really degenerated into something it never should have been - and we all share in the blame for that one. So for my part, I'm done here - if you want to continue this, I'm a PM away - but even I'm starting to get a little annoyed by the discussion here - and I'm usually the primary instigator of things like this.

Besides - someone will be along with the drama broom shortly to sweep all of this neatly under the rug of, "it never happened, now smile," so let's just continue it elsewhere, shall we?

kain989
12th Sep 2005, 15:24
Please refrain from making unfounded claims and then calling other people ignorant or saying they, "haven't done their research," when they question you on them - you'd be surprised how many of us are quite capable of catching you out in a lie.

ok i meant to say make sure u will do ur research that u said will do once u got my country name. now u should stick to ur word and make the research and post the info u got here

don't believe anyone called your country a, "hell." The comment

when someone escaping he is running away from something and hell is nothing short of that

Smoke_Z
12th Sep 2005, 15:44
Comics are gr8!!! :D

www.keenspot.com <-Free ones! I recommend Zebra Girl.

www.keenspace.com <- Free ones done by rank amatuers.

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ <- A good one.

http://www.sluggy.com/ <-A popular one.

www.megatokyo.com <-A fantastic one that's even out in print.

Riovanes
12th Sep 2005, 16:01
ok i meant to say make sure u will do ur research that u said will do once u got my country name. now u should stick to ur word and make the research and post the info u got here

when someone escaping he is running away from something and hell is nothing short of that

*sighs*

Right, I'll do the research I promised, and I'll certainly get it back to you - posting it here would be a misuse of the board - but I'll provide a link to it nonetheless. Please be patient with me, as I do have other things going on (I'm a graduate student, teaching classes and taking them at the same time, so I'm a little busy), but I should have something for you by the end of the week.

The "escape," comment was, in my view, a joke, and not meant as an insult to your country. Technically you could very easily turn it around on him and say, "Well, we have better things to do where I'm from than read comics," which you already have done earlier in the thread - you needn't take it further and make it a nationlistic discussion.

Finally, the information I shared on US philanthropy was not hypocritical in the context of the given discussion. Note that I didn't say the US was, "better," than anyone else - I was merely correcting misleading information in your previous post. That is not hypocrisy - it is informing those who may not know any better. If I were trying to polarize things, I might mention certain things our government has done for Kuwait, etc., etc. ad nauseam - but that would be back-biting, and I'd rather not engage in that here.