PDA

View Full Version : DIY:To make a more natural smoke effects

Godkin
30th Aug 2005, 01:49
Hi everybody again.

I installed puppy's smoke mod,and found that it leaves sth to be desired. I just want to thank him anyway, because he opened up such a possibility.

Here is my way to handle smoke effects: open effects_batalla.sb and locate "Efecto para cuando la infanteria dispara de pie (variante 1/3;2/3;3/3)" which deals with the sodilers standing. Within each of the three sects you can see the line[ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoDePieA1.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ] that handles smoke effects of rifle, and the fowllowing line[ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoDePieA2.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ] that has sth to do with fire effects of rifle.

here it goes: just copy the line [ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoDePieA1.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ] and paste it under the original, then repeat it three times ,so it turns out like this :

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Efecto para cuando la infanteria dispara de pie (variante 1/3)
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.DisparoInfDePie1
[
.NAME DisparoInfDePie1
.TIME !TIME_DISPAROS_FUSILES # Duracion del efecto en segundos

.PARTICLE
#[
##[ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoDePieA1.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ]
##[ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoDePieA2.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ]
#]
]

Then simply do the same thing to "Efecto para cuando la infanteria dispara de pie (variante 2/3)" and "(variante 3/3)".

After finished with soldier standing let's go to next three sects with the tittle "Efecto para cuando la infanteria arrodillada (variante 1/3;2/3;3/3)".This deals with men kneeling. Pl repeat the abovementioned process.

Now go to the quick war to have a sweet taste of smoke effects three times bigger and thicker yet look more befitting and natural.

If you still feel unsatisfied with all smoke and no fire ,pl replace any line that handles fire effects with [ .NAME "Effects\Batalla\DisparoCanonA2.ptc" .CYCLIC FALSE ],so that you have cannons fire at the far end of your men's rifles covered with real smoke.

The scene is just a perfect dream :D

ThomasLongbow
30th Aug 2005, 02:01
any idea as to the impact on frame rate? man i wish I had a better rig :(

also, how do I open an sb file?

Godkin
30th Aug 2005, 02:12
any idea as to the impact on frame rate? man i wish I had a better rig :(

also, how do I open an sb file?

Pity :( i am not a native English speaker,so sometimes I just couldn't express myself quite well.

So you want your rifle flames comes out more in a uniform way? or just let them appear in a random way?

ThomasLongbow
30th Aug 2005, 02:15
its okay, what I mean is, does having more smoke make a serious impact on teh games performance. I know with puppy's mod I got a little lag when veiwing the smoke from close up :)

Godkin
30th Aug 2005, 02:24
oh i see i mistook frame for flame :o

well, the smoke comes out quick and dissolves quick, I think it will work just fine on your computer,even much better if compared to puppy's :cool:

officerpuppy
30th Aug 2005, 03:58
Hey those findings are pretty cool. I was planing on releasing a third version of my smoke mod since I forgot to change artiliery. I'll fiddle with your findings along with my mod and see what I get. And with your permission I'll release my third version and give you proper credit for your findings.

Godkin
30th Aug 2005, 06:15
Hey those findings are pretty cool. I was planing on releasing a third version of my smoke mod since I forgot to change artiliery. I'll fiddle with your findings along with my mod and see what I get. And with your permission I'll release my third version and give you proper credit for your findings.

I just made some improvements on YOUR MOD,that's all :)

officerpuppy
30th Aug 2005, 15:57
Sure thing :cool: When I release a third version I'll put your name in the readme and give you credit for figureing out a new way to get a nice smoke effect.

ThomasLongbow
3rd Sep 2005, 07:20
can this be done with ships as well in the effects_naval.sb?

officerpuppy
5th Sep 2005, 16:48
I've submitted my third version of the smoke mod, I've also gave you credit (Godkin) for your findings. I made the mod in two flavors, one for low end machines, the other for high end machines. I also got another mod ready, changes the music during naval battles, still got to submit it though.