PDA

View Full Version : The Crippled Burrick???

littlek
29th Aug 2005, 14:53
Where did it go? This new one has no character. :mad:

Nightwalker
29th Aug 2005, 15:10
I've got to agree, littlek. It made it special for the Thief community to have that name on it and a generic "General discussion" label just is NOT the same.

the one true thief
29th Aug 2005, 18:00
I agree. bring back the old sign back!

its like going to a Pub which is called 'Pub' or 'Beer place' :rolleyes:

Bring back the crippled Burrick.

I might start a petition otherwise :D

BrokenArts
29th Aug 2005, 19:38
Throw's in another vote. Bring it back. Bring back the Cripple Burrick

Caradavin1
29th Aug 2005, 19:57
I'll vote to that. :thumbsup:

Peter_Smith
30th Aug 2005, 05:10
I agree. I made the point in MattD's thread. Perhaps not forcefully enough.

Actually, I think the character depends mostly on the discussion that takes place, not so much on the name of the forum. So far as I am concerned, the discussion should not change at all. The Crippled Burrick did have a nice ring to it, though. :)

BrokenArts
30th Aug 2005, 12:30
Life is about change sometimes. In this case, no.

MattD, if you see this, please bring back the old Cripple Burrick name. Or should we start a new thread, with a vote on it.

Chiefdreams
30th Aug 2005, 13:06
Fire enema!

Keeper Collins
31st Aug 2005, 03:18
Well, I miss the old name but at least we still have place we can all get in touch with each other. Still, with you all trying to bring back the old name I'm sure they won't ignore you. Here's one more vote for your list for the good old Crippled Burrick! :D

dancingzombieKat
31st Aug 2005, 16:47
"General discussion" is not nearly as much fun as "The Crippled Burrick". :mad:

littlek
31st Aug 2005, 19:56
Does this mean I'll get banned for starting a protest? :p

Gillie
31st Aug 2005, 20:03
I liked the "Crippled Burrick Inn" Sign too. :( A welcome come in sign!.
Reminds me of those adorable Creatures.
Borrowed from the Circle:
Burricks
Behavior: Social animals, they live in groups.
Notes: the animal is highly trained to be tolerant of people. :rolleyes: :)

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :D
William Shakespeare

Peter_Smith
2nd Sep 2005, 22:13
Does this mean I'll get banned for starting a protest? :pNo.:) If it happens the protests will escalate.

BrokenArts
3rd Sep 2005, 18:23
/me sends PM to MattD, he obviously has no clue (we can only speculate by the absence of his presence) about this little discussion we are having. *Mass hysteria ensues.*

John D.
3rd Sep 2005, 18:53
Relax people, it's just a name-the forum is what we make it. Besides we can always build a Crippled Burrick in Dromed if necessary. :cool:

BrokenArts
3rd Sep 2005, 19:20
Nope, sorry, no can do. That's not acceptable. What is in a name, is everything. That name was given to this place, for the people, who we are.
It's us. It should remain that way.

If you were here since the beginning John, you would understand more of what I am talking about, and getting at. Of course, that's not your fault. It represents an essence, a persona, of who we are.

Some of the original members still haunt these halls around here. It is trying to keep the spirit of this place alive, even with a name.

Gillie
3rd Sep 2005, 20:05
Nope, sorry, no can do. That's not acceptable. What is in a name, is everything. That name was given to this place, for the people, who we are.
It's us. It should remain that way.

I actually agreed with wanting to keep the "Crippled Burrick Inn"
Sounds so Welcoming.Come on in.
I have not been on the forums that long I know.Still a newbie
Since playing the first two games rather late I admit.I became addicted too.I just love the "Burricks".
What I actually wrote was a Jest a play on words. ;)
As the description of the actual "Burricks" were.Live in groups tolerant of people Sociable.
I meant nothing else.
I think I will not return. :(

clayman
3rd Sep 2005, 22:30
Huh ? :confused:

Gillie
3rd Sep 2005, 22:36
I obviously confuse people.I have removed it.
You need not worry. I will confuse you no more :mad: :(

BrokenArts
3rd Sep 2005, 22:39
Gillie? What are you talking about? You aren't making any sense. ¬¬

theBlackman
4th Sep 2005, 00:34
I obviously confuse people.I have removed it.
You need not worry. I will confuse you no more :mad: :(

Come back and don't worry about it. Confusion is the normal situation here.

*JohnD*

As a "new" thief player, you are uninformed as to the traditions and "meaning" that are associated with the name.

Your opinion is accepted as "your" opinion, but beyond that is a display of lack of knowledge as to what consitutes a "society". In particular this one.

No insult intended, but that is the case in this instance.

John D.
4th Sep 2005, 08:50
Nope, sorry, no can do. That's not acceptable. What is in a name, is everything. That name was given to this place, for the people, who we are.It's a game forum, not a club, a nation or a cult. :rolleyes: 'The Crippled Burrick' is a name, now it's 'Thief General Discussion'-so what? The people are the same, old folks are coming back, new guys are coming in, good things are happening here.

If you were here since the beginning John, you would understand more of what I am talking about, and getting at. Of course, that's not your fault. It represents an essence, a persona, of who we are.

As a "new" thief player, you are uninformed as to the traditions and "meaning" that are associated with the name. Your opinion is accepted as "your" opinion, but beyond that is a display of lack of knowledge as to what consitutes a "society". In particular this one.
Let's get something straight, I'm not a 'new' player by any means, I've played Thief since 2000 and have been directly involved in the community since 2002. I've been here for a while myself. The 'traditions' and 'meaning' in a group of people lay in the words and actions of the people within it. If we're talking, having a good time and creating new things from FM's to artwork or just joking around about what Garrett eats before a job to keep from burping and giving himself away, then the health of the forum is good and the name is irrelevant. The people make the place what it is-take them away and even the best name is meaningless.

So Matt D. made a few changes? He's just trying new things to make it better, I've talked to him in a couple of PM's about some other stuff and I can tell you he's a nice guy, plus he gives us a direct link to Eidos and was able to answer some questions I had no one else could. If enough people call, he might change it back-if not it doesnt mean a thing to me.

As for the idea of a *persona* I have none. I'm just me, myself and I, here now and always.:thumbsup: I just find it amazing the garbage the community will shrug their shoulders at and ignore while at the same time something that is a minor change will elicit pure outrage. It's like the 'Crippled Burrick' is a real place and it just got burned down by an arsonist. Sometimes I'm amazed I still bother, but until now the satisfaction of building FM's, cheers from fans and great help from fellow designers and other wonderful and intelligent people has kept me in the game when most other people would have left.

A new name wont stop the stealing. :p

theBlackman
4th Sep 2005, 09:50
[...]The people make the place what it is-take them away and even the best name is meaningless.[...]

Agreed to an extent.

[...]It's like the 'Crippled Burrick' is a real place and it just got burned down by an arsonist.

To some it is, and is, in a way "home".

[...]Sometimes I'm amazed I still bother, but until now the satisfaction of building FM's, cheers from fans and great help from fellow designers and other wonderful and intelligent people has kept me in the game when most other people would have left.

The same reasons the rest of us are still here.

As for 2000 as your THIEF start date, all well and good. I presume that was with the game, and possibly, although the evidence is lacking, with TTLG.

Those of us who have a liking for the "Crippled Burrick" have been here for sometime longer than your 2003 join date and have fond memories of the comaraderie engendered by the "name" you find of no meaning.

But, as said, your opinion is as valid as any other, and attaches no onus to you for expressing it. Your presence and offerings have enhanced the community and enabled others to enjoy the game, so do stick around.

BrokenArts
4th Sep 2005, 16:05
Those of us who have a liking for the "Crippled Burrick" and have fond memories of the comaraderie engendered by the "name".

No one should leave over an opinion being expressed, all opinions should be expressed. That's what a society should do. It should be talked about. As tbm stated, this goes beyond a name. It's home.

The history runs deep in these walls. /me recalls a few threads that come to mind.

*LAG*
*B-day Threads
*Party Threads
*Meeting of Clayman thread* What a riot that was, had everyone going for a bit on that one.

Why can't our society, and the group around here fight for the name. I see no harm in it. Just because it doesn't mean anything to some, it has a lot of meaning for many. Majority rules. If some don't care about the name, fine. So what. The ones that want it changed, will fight for it's return.

BrokenArts
4th Sep 2005, 16:16
The fact that two moderators have spoken in favor of this name, and have a history around here. That should say something as well.

littlek
4th Sep 2005, 21:28
'The Crippled Burrick' is a name, now it's 'Thief General Discussion'-so what?

It was important enough to me to start a thread about it and for nearly everyone on this forum to support it... ;)

It's like the 'Crippled Burrick' is a real place and it just got burned down by an arsonist. WHAT! It's not real? So what is this place I have been hanging out in for so long?

And if the name does not matter, then why can't we have the old name back?

WE WANT THE CRIPPLED BURRICK BACK!

Vesper
6th Sep 2005, 07:56
DITTO.....

Bring back the Crippled Burrick!!

Please.....Purtty Please.....with crunchy deer legs on top... ;)

Vesper

MattD
6th Sep 2005, 16:44
Whoa whoa whoa...

I had no idea that this thread was going on. I was out for the weekend, and guess I missed looking at it through my daily runs the few days before.

So... the reason I changed it, was that many of the community chat forums throughout the forums were more along the lines of general discussion about the titles, and the different forums per title served different purposes. I just tried to change things up to make a bit more consistency...

However, the Thief community runs a bit different than the other titles' communites on the forums, and I did not know that changing the name would affect you guys that way. That is purely my mistake and I apologize. I knew people wanted to allow community chat discussion in here, which I wasn't opposed to, but I did not know about the name. I am here to support you guys, and help make this a place you guys want to visit. You want the name back, you got it. You dont like the new description, it can be changed.

So again, my bad. I would have changed it earlier if I had seen the thread. If there is something you guys dont like, just send me a PM, and I'll do what I can to fix it.

If the new title/description still isnt up to par, let me know and I can see what I can do.

theBlackman
6th Sep 2005, 17:02
*MattD*
You did good. I, and I am sure the others, know that you were merely trying to clean up the forums in general.

No problem.

The LAG and other discourses that Broken Arts mentioned are part of the spontenaity that livened this corner "Inn" up in days gone bye.

Should you be interested, I have some of these preserved in Txt format and Html and would be glad to send you a copy if you have an interest or the time.

PM me with a viable address for attachments and I'll forward LAG and Konfessions, two of the more interesting threads from a few years gone bye.

BTW This goes for any of the visitors to the Inn who have an interest.

clayman
6th Sep 2005, 17:47
And I didn't even have to threaten anyone with a fire arrow enema.... :D :eek:

BrokenArts
6th Sep 2005, 18:37
And I didn't even have to threaten anyone with a fire arrow enema.... :D :eek:

I did........to MattD. :o ;) No no no. I jest.

I sent a PM to Matt this morning, directing him to this thread. I was kind. No threats....no hazing, no lit torches, or banging on his door. Just a beg and a plead.

Thanks again MattD. I look forward to getting to know you more on the forums, and welcome to the Cripple Burrick. Cheers people, a round is on me!
Drinks for everyone. :)

BrokenArts
6th Sep 2005, 18:42
Suggestion.

How about just *The Cripple Burrick.* Instead of Thief - General Discussion -
The Cripple Burrick. Too long.

Thoughts? Complaints? Suggestions? Stomp on it? Melee drink in hand to throw? Or just *Oh yeah babee*.

clayman
6th Sep 2005, 19:17
'S allright, just gave some bugbeasts a fiery anal intruder instead. :)

theBlackman
6th Sep 2005, 20:00
'S allright, just gave some bugbeasts a fiery anal intruder instead. :)

Glad to see you still have the touch, and are playing with your favorite toy. :)

MattD
6th Sep 2005, 20:50
The old name was: (copied before i made any changes)

Thief Community Chat (The Crippled Burrick Inn)
Want to talk about who had the best day at the track? Does existence precede essence. Care to visit the Crippled Burrick Inn? Fan Fiction and whatnot. Write your missives here. Note: The Terms of User STILL apply and will be enforced.

-

I would prefer to have "General Discussion" in there somewhere, to have a level of consistency, and to let new people have a general idea of what the forum is.

Thief - The Crippled Burrick Inn (General Discussion)
Thief - General Discussion (The Crippled Burrick Inn)
Thief - General Discussion *The Crippled Burrick Inn*

Any of those look acceptable?

BrokenArts
6th Sep 2005, 20:55
First one.

clayman
6th Sep 2005, 21:58
yep :thumbsup:

And never fear, MattD, I wouldn't dream of really pointing a fire arrow at an admin. Might pick your pocket though. ;)

MattD
6th Sep 2005, 22:59
Sounds good, its been changed to option #1. So does that seem good to everyone?

Nightwalker
7th Sep 2005, 00:00
Terrific! Thank you very much, Matt, for listening to us and changing it back. I hope you'll come hang out and get to know us. Just keep your hand on your wallet and watch. ;)

Peter_Smith
7th Sep 2005, 05:37
Thanks Matt! :D

littlek
7th Sep 2005, 14:42
Thanks Matt! I like it! Here, let me buy another round! littlek pulls up a stool beside Matt, steals his wallet