PDA

View Full Version : Addon

britishjohn
27th Aug 2005, 16:14
Will an addon to Imperial Glory be made? What new Empires will be playable? Will there be a North American Campaign map or even Asia perhaps? Or even a world map!

Which Country must be playable if there is an addon?

efthimios
27th Aug 2005, 17:16
I hope there is going to be one, and include a world map. With some changes to the game.
I doubt it will happen though you never know.

I_Need_Help
3rd Sep 2005, 14:51
I reckon there should be a world map Imperial glory and Portugal should be in it.

lipton
3rd Sep 2005, 15:00
Denmark, Denmark, Denmark too

i dont think the USA shud be added....they show up in every game now so keep them out of this one

I_Need_Help
3rd Sep 2005, 22:26
If your going to have america in one you should have a chance for Britain and france to keep hold of america so its one of their colonys.

General Cassard
4th Sep 2005, 03:09
There should be a world map, and all of those countries should be playable.

Of course, you'd have a to throw out a bit of historical accuracy. Japan had guns up until the year 1600 before it close itself to the rest of the world. It actually manufactured more guns than any European country in the latter part of the 16th century, but after that it banned all guns until the beginning of the Meiji Restoration period in 1850.

The game would have more depth if Britain and Spain had their colonial possessions and huge fleets at the start of the game.

It should also not be possible to peacefully annex Spain or the Ottoman Empire, nor should it be possible to peacefully annex a country while it's at war.

If an empire is subjugated, then its colonies should gain independence and pick up where the empire left off in the research tree, and it should also get to keep all the buildings and armies. It should also be possible to annex and empire if you can keep it subjugated for an entire year.

Of course, there'd be problems with making more nations playable. The Ottoman Empire would be damn powerful from the beginning, because there'd be no one to stop it from overrunning Africa and getting access to its huge pile of resources and population, and the same would go for Japan and Britain having control of the south pacific by invading from India.

britishjohn
4th Sep 2005, 12:28
There should be a world map, and all of those countries should be playable.

Of course, you'd have a to throw out a bit of historical accuracy. Japan had guns up until the year 1600 before it close itself to the rest of the world. It actually manufactured more guns than any European country in the latter part of the 16th century, but after that it banned all guns until the beginning of the Meiji Restoration period in 1850.

The game would have more depth if Britain and Spain had their colonial possessions and huge fleets at the start of the game.

It should also not be possible to peacefully annex Spain or the Ottoman Empire, nor should it be possible to peacefully annex a country while it's at war.

If an empire is subjugated, then its colonies should gain independence and pick up where the empire left off in the research tree, and it should also get to keep all the buildings and armies. It should also be possible to annex and empire if you can keep it subjugated for an entire year.

Of course, there'd be problems with making more nations playable. The Ottoman Empire would be damn powerful from the beginning, because there'd be no one to stop it from overrunning Africa and getting access to its huge pile of resources and population, and the same would go for Japan and Britain having control of the south pacific by invading from India.

I like your ideas. I suppose the game makers would have to find a way to prevent the established empires from taking huge strides at the begining of the game, as you refered to. I suppose the best place to look for wisdom on this would be history itself and to consider why the Ottomans didn't overrun Africa in reality and why Britain, China and Japan didn't dominate the Far East in the way you suggested in your comments. I agree with you totally about annexation. If i wanted peaceful annexation I wouldn't have bought a war game. I like this feature for the human player but I think the AI tends to use it too much instead of actually fighting.

I would also suggest that minor nations be able to invade the capitals of other minor nations and possibly even major powers, and take them over. I don't know whether anyone has noticed but a minor power, say Denmark, never attacks Sweden from Norway, even if Swedens army is shattered or non existent. All minor countries are allowed to to is occupy non-capital territories such as Finland, Galicia, Bohemia and Ireland.

lipton
4th Sep 2005, 15:42
Britishjonh's right

but if you play with world map i think the game interface will be too big

General Cassard
4th Sep 2005, 19:44
Empires can't take such huge strides in the beginning because armies, populations, trade, and economic buildings aren't really established yet. Even if they started trying to invade and annex other territories, they wouldn't have the resources or manpower to effectively hold on to them.

I certainly agree with your point on peaceful annexation. The computer abuses it to no end, and it really takes away from the game. There's no way, especially at that point in time, that countries would allow themselves to be annexed without a fight. If it's going to be in the game, then it should be necessary to keep 100% relations for a year or two before peaceful annexation is possible, and the country should have to be neutral.

In reality, the Ottoman Empire didn't mess with Africa because it was too busy with the Balkans, and Britain and Russia didn't mess with Asia during the Napoleanic Era because of, well, Napolean. But afterwards, in the mid to late 18th century, they, as well as the French and Dutch, started to expand into Asia.

Japan was really closed up until 1850 and the arrival of Commodore Mathew Perry, but moving them up to the Meiji Restoration would bring them into the game and add more depth, and they should certainly have a powerful fleet much like Britain.

Point taken on the minor countries fighting each other. Denmark had a pretty large fleet at the time, and the only thing stopping it from expanding was it's lack of population and resources, so it would make sense for it to attack Sweden. Just like you, I've seen plenty of occasions where Sweden's army has been wiped out, and it would make for a perfect opportunity for a Danish invasion. I also don't see why Two Sicilies or Lombardy don't attack Piedmont and the Papal State and form a unified Italy, which would give the Ottoman Empire a little competition in Africa.

Speaking of navies, you should gain control of a country's ships when you annex it instead of having them dissapear from the map.

Wilden
4th Sep 2005, 21:03
In reality, the Ottoman Empire didn't mess with Africa because it was too busy with the Balkans, and Britain and Russia didn't mess with Asia during the Napoleanic Era because of, well, Napolean. But afterwards, in the mid to late 18th century, they, as well as the French and Duth, started to expand into Asia.

Youre wrong there, Britain had large areas of asia under its control, even during Napoleons reign, they werent exactly going to give up most of India jus because there were problems in Europe. It was where Sir Arthur Wellesly had much of his early battle experience, in battles such as Assaye.

General Cassard
5th Sep 2005, 00:21
Youre wrong there, Britain had large areas of asia under its control, even during Napoleons reign, they werent exactly going to give up most of India jus because there were problems in Europe. It was where Sir Arthur Wellesly had much of his early battle experience, in battles such as Assaye.

No, I'm not wrong, nor did I ever say anything about them giving up India or any of their other colonies.

http://www.anglik.net/empire.htm

As you can see, the only major areas of Southeast Asia under British control during Napolean's reign were what is now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, but that's as far as it went until after Napolean was defeated.

When you consider the size of Asia, they weren't in control of much ot if.

Britain didn't get Burma(Myanmar), Malaysia, Hong Kong, North Borneo, etc until much later, and didn't get territory from China until the 1840's during the Opium Wars. France would eventually rule what is now Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and the Netherlands would rule what is now Indonesia with the Spanish Controlling the Phillipines until losing it to America.

People also seem to neglect that the Middle East is also a part of Asia. Britian tried to expand into Afghanistan, but were defeated(with Russian help). Persia(Iran) and Saudi Arabia weren't under their rule, and the Ottoman Empire controlled what is now Syria, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, and obviously, Turkey.

So, you see, there wasn't much European expansion in Asia during the Napoleonic Era. Most colonial possessions in the area were acquired either before or after Napolean's reign.

britishjohn
5th Sep 2005, 10:44
I like your ideas General Cassard. Perhaps we should make the addon...lol. :thumbsup:

General Cassard
5th Sep 2005, 11:33
Hopefully, Pyro will do it.

Of course, I don't mind a few creative liberties with historical accuracy. Some of it would have to go out the window anyway, because hindsight is 20/20, and players wouldn't repeat the mistakes of past military commanders and political leaders.

Someone playing as the Ottoman Empire would probably have the presense of mind to ally themselves with Austria and Russia from the start and go into Africa, seeing as how they've got the easiest access to it.

Someone playing as France wouldn't make the mistake of Trafalgar, nor would they commit to a Russian campaign without a viable exit strategy should things go wrong. In light of this, Britain would probably look for peace on the continent and commit instead to its colonies.

A unified Italy, on the otherhand, would be very scary. Piedmont, Lombardy, Papal State, and Two Sicilies would make for 6 territories, 4 military academies, and 5 ports, which means they'd be able to dominate the Mediterranean.

auxilla
22nd Oct 2005, 01:21
and there would be rebilllion then america now belongs to the rightfull Americans then after some time theres A CIVIL WAR the you get to either help the Union Or The Confederates

ill help the union

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

long live THE STAR-SPANGELD BANNER

britishjohn
22nd Oct 2005, 11:12
and there would be rebilllion then america now belongs to the rightfull Americans then after some time theres A CIVIL WAR the you get to either help the Union Or The Confederates

ill help the union

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

long live THE STAR-SPANGELD BANNER

I would do what Britain actually considered doing at the time. Provide the confederacy with industrial equipment so that they can match the Union.

In the Game: But when both sides are exhausted, I would delclare war on both and re-establish Britain as colonial master of the States.

In Reality: But instead of ruling undemocratically like the original British governance, I would allow a sort of parliament that would give a degree of representation. A model that worked in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

theenglishdude
26th Oct 2005, 11:15
Ottoman, If spain was a major power good by portugal and there would be a big slug out between france and spain resulting in clear sailing for Britain(pretty much)

ytareh
26th Oct 2005, 18:28
Id vote for all the above countries but realise thats unlikely.Id buy ANY addon with features to benefit me as a battlefield only player.I do think the game/community is at a crossroads, on the one hand posts especially on the TAFN site seem to be down a lot but then we have the great news that Ranvier is planning a grand American War of Independence mod .The game has such massive potential but unless it gets a boost (and Im not sure what that is exactly) soon I dont see it being as long lasting as the far inferior Cossacks series...Certainly with the mods to gameplay available /described on these forums the out of the box battles are far more realistic.

britishjohn
30th Oct 2005, 17:25
Id vote for all the above countries but realise thats unlikely.Id buy ANY addon with features to benefit me as a battlefield only player.I do think the game/community is at a crossroads, on the one hand posts especially on the TAFN site seem to be down a lot but then we have the great news that Ranvier is planning a grand American War of Independence mod .The game has such massive potential but unless it gets a boost (and Im not sure what that is exactly) soon I dont see it being as long lasting as the far inferior Cossacks series...Certainly with the mods to gameplay available /described on these forums the out of the box battles are far more realistic.

I must agree with you. I just wish that the game makers would do an addon, perhaps looking and listening to some of the ideas that we have created on this forum. I mean I could reel of just a few of the many great ideas that I have heard and thought of myself. However, if we don't get an addon, I think it is up to the bright spark modders amongst us to add life to this game. I have got to admit, for the other strategy games that I have had in the past (Command & Conquer series, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth and Cossacks) there has been no major mods or modding tools or even great forums like this that I have known of. Apart from the odd unit stat editor, the other games have not had such modding potential.

falcons1988
4th Nov 2005, 19:17
I think that if you add for other forces, what about the zulu's

auxilla
8th Nov 2005, 08:50
Yup

OH PLEASE LISTEN TO ME MAKE A 1.2 PATCH AND THAT PAtch will mAKE MODING SO MUCH EASIER

so you get to expand the world map create factions create empires create units change skins and etc.

ITS A PC IT CAN PLAY SOMTHING THAT BIG
(with the latest parts that is)

and amercia well already be established
(im not talking historacly acurate but if you want we can make some kind of option were you finance expeditions to other countreis and so on)

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

LONG LIVE AMERICA WITH THIS ILL HEAR ONE THING I WANTED TO HEAR AMERICA HAS COUNQURED WE WILL OWN EUROPE

falcons1988
8th Nov 2005, 23:43
yeah right :mad: we are in a time of peace between europe and america as a whole, lets keep it that way. We have enough problems over in the middle east. Now lets get back on-topic about addons for IG.

theenglishdude
9th Nov 2005, 16:25
Hear, hear,.....besides America could never conquer Europe completely impossible

auxilla
10th Nov 2005, 05:22
Yeah lots of resitance

but im thinking of an addon that makes moding much more Expansive LoL :thumbsup:

if they alow more moding there might be somthing like TW center for IG

c00lizz
14th Nov 2005, 09:12
The Kingdom of Denmark-Norway please.

Failing that, I want to restore the Ottoman Empire and break eastern europe.

Oststar
16th Nov 2005, 08:24
It's good to see everyone wants completely illogical things pertaining to their own country. A jingoist American wants the US included (Sing yankee doodle for us), a Dane wants Denmark, several want a world map. I'm Australian, I say we add Australia and give them a starting army with laser tanks and spaceships, and a colony on mars...

This thread bugs me: I can see why the Ottoman Empire and Spain should be added, as they both had a hand in world events. Denmark? I'm not an expert on the Napoleonic era, but i'm fairly sure they didn't play any larger part than Sweden or Norway. A world map? It's the Napoleonic era, not the Victorian, if the expansion was victorian then it'd make sense, but otherwise it doesn't, and the British dominated the victorian era anyway, which unbalances it a tiny bit.

Rather than add new content in the form of new regions, Pyro should focus on improving the current IG map, dividing larger territories into several smaller ones, adding nations that weren't included, improving naval warfare, removing peaceful annexation, improving tactical and strategic AI, and creating scripts that encourage certain nations to perform certain actions, like unifying italy or conquering Sweden et cetra, adding moral, adding weather effects et cetra, mostly things mentioned in banananaman's thread, rather than focusing on some new skins and maps, things that any modder could do.

And Britishjohn, I think Australia has more than a 'degree of reprsentation'... we run our own affairs thank you :P

auxilla
16th Nov 2005, 13:29
(Sing yankee doodle for us):P

Why give a prison colony laser tanks

ADD Slaves (which gives you the option to increase your pop)

colmde
16th Nov 2005, 15:14
Don't really see the point of adding new empires just to satsify some patriotic urge or to let you start the campaign from a different angle of Europe... The units are the same for everyone anyway... The only peoples they should add on are something like... either
1) a small country like portugal, so you'd have the challenge of starting with only one region.
2) something completely different like an African tribe (like the Zulus as someone mentioned above) - however this could really throw historical accuracy out the window so maybe they shouldn't do it... but I mean for the sake of having different units.

auxilla
17th Nov 2005, 02:21
Diffrent units would be nice

and if you ever make a fantasy mod or somthing and America is in it make the confederates have Ironclads

auxilla
17th Nov 2005, 02:24
Diffrent units would be nice

agred and if you add america make them be able to build ironclad ships in the third era

SO in the third era shall we say

AMERICA HUNGERS :thumbsup:

southpark
3rd Dec 2005, 11:34
Ok after reading the whole disscusion on this post, i thought hat i'd put in a little comment of my own. Im not very good on the technical sides of the computer i can only play them, but it seems to me that to create a whole world map would be pretty dumb, they would have to cut back on game play? so that the graphics can cope with so many nations,

I would like to see a variety in the armies because they are all the bloody same, there certanily should be an african army playable becuase otoman empire was a major nation and y not just add them on as a campaign .

about the minor countries, they really do suck, they just sit there watching paint dry, they might just annex a little state but not a captial. and another thing that anoyies me is that there are no LONG TERM WARS between any major countries or minor, they just nick a state and offer peace, this is also the same witha a coalition, u give (lets say) Sweden 20000 gold and what do they do Ofer peace the next go (or something near that). The game realy wasnt thought through very thourothly by the designers . :confused: tkae a load of this

southpark
14th Dec 2005, 19:41
all read this and do something about it kif it is possible to mod it where the hel to i get my hands on it?

Lefebvre
6th Jan 2006, 23:42
It's good to see everyone wants completely illogical things pertaining to their own country. A jingoist American wants the US included (Sing yankee doodle for us), a Dane wants Denmark, several want a world map. I'm Australian, I say we add Australia and give them a starting army with laser tanks and spaceships, and a colony on mars...
lol too funny dude ;) But you make a good point, this thread did go a bit off the rails there for a sec.

Rather than add new content in the form of new regions, Pyro should focus on improving the current IG map, dividing larger territories into several smaller ones ..
Yeah seriously, good ideas there m8 - it would make sense to do it that way so some countries are made up of a more realistic number of territories. To add to that idea, maybe have more than 1 map per province, it wouldn't be all that tough to implement that idea either.

If there *were* other nations added I would think north/eastern continental America would be an obvious choice, and also the Indian subcontinent since that's where a lot of the action really was in that time.

cheers,
Lefebvre

britishjohn
7th Jan 2006, 17:39
And Britishjohn, I think Australia has more than a 'degree of reprsentation'... we run our own affairs thank you :P

he he he. I meant in Napoleonic times not now. I love Australia, the ashes were great. I think England had a lot a luck on our side as well as good play. Anyway back to the game...In a world map, Australia would be great to build up a secret army (like in the board game Risk) hehe.

duke of wellington
12th Jan 2006, 18:56
No, I'm not wrong, nor did I ever say anything about them giving up India or any of their other colonies.

http://www.anglik.net/empire.htm

As you can see, the only major areas of Southeast Asia under British control during Napolean's reign were what is now India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, but that's as far as it went until after Napolean was defeated.

When you consider the size of Asia, they weren't in control of much ot if.

Britain didn't get Burma(Myanmar), Malaysia, Hong Kong, North Borneo, etc until much later, and didn't get territory from China until the 1840's during the Opium Wars. France would eventually rule what is now Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and the Netherlands would rule what is now Indonesia with the Spanish Controlling the Phillipines until losing it to America.

People also seem to neglect that the Middle East is also a part of Asia. Britian tried to expand into Afghanistan, but were defeated(with Russian help). Persia(Iran) and Saudi Arabia weren't under their rule, and the Ottoman Empire controlled what is now Syria, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, and obviously, Turkey.

So, you see, there wasn't much European expansion in Asia during the Napoleonic Era. Most colonial possessions in the area were acquired either before or after Napolean's reign. You're right about their not being any military expansion in india during the napoleonic wars but napoleon was going to take his Grandé armeé to india so why shouldnt we be allowed too recreate the dreams of the greatest general 2 ever grace this planet?