PDA

View Full Version : Cannons Experience wasted money

WolfFasT
25th Aug 2005, 22:45
I started doin a few test on cannons....Seems to me addin experience is kinda a waste of money?Better spent on troops! IMO
Still testin though :thumbsup:
What r ur views on this?

John Carter
26th Aug 2005, 01:09
I never build cannons until the horse artillery advance becomes available, and then it's really just for funsies. You can usually manage to catch the enemy artillery with cavalry while it is still moving and wipe it out at little cost, although the AI will usually send some cavalry or infantry unit along to overwatch the slow moving artillery train.

WolfFasT
26th Aug 2005, 08:06
Woz thinkin more of MP play ;)

Nastavnik
26th Aug 2005, 08:19
I've never tried MP, but in the campaign it's fun. With the stat editor I made my cannons fonction by groups of 5 rather than 3 with 50% more range, and that's definetly useful now. :)

efthimios
26th Aug 2005, 12:59
I've never tried MP, but in the campaign it's fun. With the stat editor I made my cannons fonction by groups of 5 rather than 3 with 50% more range, and that's definetly useful now. :)

Does the AI know your cannons are in range the same way it used to? (trigge area) Or is it expecting it from the normal range?

Lakefather
26th Aug 2005, 14:48
Does the AI know your cannons are in range the same way it used to? (trigge area) Or is it expecting it from the normal range?

I've also increased the range of all my cannons, makes them much better. However firing at the AI from a long distrance makes them charge at me which can be used to lure them into a trap, I wish I knew of a way to stop them from doing this.

Though the AI also seems to know that the cannons range has increased and will bombard my troops from a distance.

efthimios
27th Aug 2005, 12:14
Almost there then! :D

Thanks for the info.

Wiltshire Tony
30th Aug 2005, 12:31
I love to watch a rifleman/peasant battalion try and rush my 15 cannon.

Ketchup time

Nastavnik
30th Aug 2005, 13:00

The AI definetly knows the new firing ranges. Their troops have the same. And it actually sees your range, since it usually places its troops a few meters beyond the range of my cannons. (including the extra range gained though experience). And it uses it very well, since apparently even at max range it fires with smart bomb precision :eek:

Nastavnik
30th Aug 2005, 13:04
I've also increased the range of all my cannons, makes them much better. However firing at the AI from a long distrance makes them charge at me which can be used to lure them into a trap, I wish I knew of a way to stop them from doing this.

Though the AI also seems to know that the cannons range has increased and will bombard my troops from a distance.

I think in the mod forum there is a discussion about how to decrease the AI tendency to charge at you after the first volley of cannon fire that hits something. (in the most recent threads, about the stat editor and the nahirean mod)

efthimios
30th Aug 2005, 16:55
I think in the mod forum there is a discussion about how to decrease the AI tendency to charge at you after the first volley of cannon fire that hits something. (in the most recent threads, about the stat editor and the nahirean mod)

Although I agree, there was one battle that that didn't happen.
I was France and I was attacked in Paris where I had 3 units of infantry (one of them 30% strength), and 1 unit of howitzers I think.

The enemy cavalry approached from the centre road and stayed just outside the range of my cannons. The enemy infantry was very far away and very slowly moving towards me. I set a V with my infantry and moved the artillery just outside the range of the cavalry. What I did was fire at the enemy cavalry that had stopped though it was out of range. The balls about 30% of the time would either hit a bit further and kill enemy or what appeared like hitting the ground then the cavalry. The enemy would not move the cavalry further or attack, while his infantry was moving in like slow motion towards me. He had 3 units of cavalry 2 artillery (way back) and 6-7 infantry. I managed to destroy 2 of his cavalry units, then the enemy infantry got too close and I moved my damaged infantry inside the building. I couldn't understand why would the enemy charge since they would slaughter me. (I had inexperienced line infantry). They didn't till about 1.5 min before the clock reaches zero. When they did I managed to hold them enough for the time to finish and me win the battle. Very interesting battle and enver had anything like that again.
The thing I didn't like was that the enemy army was destroyed (or the AI disbanded it I guess)

ytareh
30th Aug 2005, 17:22
Godkin is the guy who discovered how to stop units targetting cannon exclusively and also how to make units less inclined to enter melees/hand to hand.Look for his thread in the mod forum.Youll need WinRar to extract the batalla file.