PDA

View Full Version : problem with starting point

dancingzombieKat
19th Aug 2005, 21:36
I can't get garrett to start from any spacific point in the room. He alway starts in the middle of the room, even when i create a starting poing (marker) elsewhere. Also i can't link inventory to said starting point. :confused:

R_Soul
19th Aug 2005, 23:09
Select the starting point and click on the Links button at the bottom of the Dromed window.
Click on the Add button.
Set the Flavour to PlayerFactory
In the 'From' field, enter the number of the starting point (or the name that you gave it)
In the 'To' field, type: Garrett

Now he should start where the starting point is.

Linking the invnetory is very similar.
Add a new link From the starting point To each item (use the positive number that you see in the brackets when the object is selected).
The Flavour is Contains. Leave the Data as Generic Contents.

dancingzombieKat
25th Aug 2005, 17:26
i still can't link objects to the starting point. i can't even establish a starting point. i thought i followed the tutorial exactly. i know im being vague, but i don't know whats wrong. any other suggestions?

R_Soul
25th Aug 2005, 19:16
I can't say much more without knowing exactly what you've been able to do.

Edit re: teliamed's post: actually I did but I forgot to respond :o

Telliamed_
26th Aug 2005, 20:08
Did you load the gen scripts?
(type script_load gen in the command area, or use the menu command if you have it)

Older tutorials only mention convict. In Thief 2, we have to load both gen and convict.

btw, RS... Did you not see the PM I sent... or maybe I just never sent it. Good chance I never did with how overloaded I've been.

dancingzombieKat
17th Sep 2005, 20:38
tried loading gen script, didnt work :(

R_Soul
17th Sep 2005, 21:16
Are you using Komag's Tutorial?(http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essentials.htm - KomagTut v2)

Deal with one step at a time, and if you get stuck, post here saying what you're trying to do and what happens when you try.

"i know im being vague, but i don't know whats wrong." We can't know what's wrong if you're being vague. You need to say exactly what you've done.
"clicked on ....", "selected ....." "clicked and dragged in the Top window to create a box" is the sort of thing I mean.

uncadonego
20th Sep 2005, 03:18
Make sure you have the file named DARKDLGS.DLL in your Thief folder or you can't make links and such things to objects. It's in the Dromed zip. It's possible that is the problem.

dancingzombieKat
24th Sep 2005, 17:21
fixed it. it was that stupid ~ thing.

R_Soul
24th Sep 2005, 19:39
When you click in the Flavour box, you can type the first letter of the flavour and it'll scroll down to the first one that begins with that letter. You can type more letters and it'll be more precise.
You'll be less likely to accidentally use a backwards link (~) then.