PDA

View Full Version : Should dead enemies fade or remain on floor??

Xxx_Lara_xxX
19th Aug 2005, 16:53
Hi everyone,

just wondering your opinion on this, because I have been meaning to post it in the official suggestions thread, but then didn't know if everyone else agrees...

In the original TR, when Lara shot a bat or a person, it fell to the floor and you could return to the same area later and it would still be there. I thought this was excellent and very realistic

In later Tr's starting around TR Chronicles, dead bodies started fading and disappearing, and in AOD, they actually flickered before disappearing

Do you think that in Legend, the bodies should fade out or remain on the floor? Does anyone feel strongly that they should not fade? ;) :confused:

imported_Mark_
19th Aug 2005, 18:34
I would like to see the dead bodies. It adds more realism. But it would be better if you could choose between displaying the bodies or making them dissapear.

midroth
19th Aug 2005, 19:05
For me they can dissapear. I don't need them anymore and they don't lay in Laras way any longer...

xbaa
19th Aug 2005, 19:06
I think seeing the dead bodies is helpful sometimes , it lets you know that you were in that room before , other than that its not really a problem to me , I'm fine with whatever they decide.

Rascalius
20th Aug 2005, 00:05
I don't mind either way, but, one thing that's always bothered me about TR games is that when you kill someone and he/she has a weapon, Lara can't always pick up that weapon and add it to her arsenal, as would happen in the real world. So hopefully Legend will address this and make every weapon/tool nickable. ;)

star girl
20th Aug 2005, 13:30
The enemies should stay where they are after death.

Sophia Leigh
20th Aug 2005, 13:44
I think they should still be there :thumbsup: .

When I get up to tricky bits in a game its inevitable that Lara is going to get killed a few times. I reload and play that bit again, then sometimes I need to turn the games off for whatever reason. I come back later and turn the game on, load up and think "damn, did I kill that guy before saving or not? :confused: ".

Well thats how it is for me sometimes anyway. With two small children I can get very distracted sometimes :o .

ELEN
20th Aug 2005, 14:08
I would like them to remain, because it seems more real. Apart from that, by seeing a dead body, you know Lara passed from there, which is helpful, especially the first time through the game. And talking about Legend, we will need this feature, because the levels are huge (and chaotic).

If I'm not wrong, the corpses disappear in Legend. I noticed something like that in a video, unless I didn't see well. I'll have to check it again.

CatSuit&Ponytail
20th Aug 2005, 18:03
I don't like disappearing corpses. It's wiiiiieeeeeerd. :p If I want that. I'll play Resident Evil where there's a reason the corpses disappear. :eek:

Xxx_Lara_xxX
20th Aug 2005, 18:54
I don't like disappearing corpses. It's wiiiiieeeeeerd. :p If I want that. I'll play Resident Evil where there's a reason the corpses disappear. :eek:

hee hee!

Yes I agree. I do wish very much, that they would leave off a few details in the rooms to dedicate this small amount of memory to preserve slain enemies in their final resting places instead.

1. There are skeletons on the floor. You have seen them in other TR's the white bones and ribcages. How did the skeletons get there if the bodies fade before they can rot to dust? :mad:

I am so happy with the beauty of the game, I just wish oh I wish they would dedicate a few bits of memory to this for the sake of utter realism :cool:

TS16
20th Aug 2005, 22:57
hey Xxx Lara xxX, did you make that lara pic of her in her bathing suite ? its very cool ! :thumbsup:

Xxx_Lara_xxX
21st Aug 2005, 04:40
Thanks! :D

Yes I drew her wearing the black TR2 bathing suit with the square clips on the side, only I used a grey scale because black was too dark. I'm not sure which I like more, that one or this one, where she is wearing her fins

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/wiccaebay/avatars/fins.jpg
its large so I won't post it

LaraAngelOfDarkness
21st Aug 2005, 06:32
For me, I couldn't care less if they stay there or not. Its probably for specific reasons, like trying to keep a game running smoothly. I know in Resident Evil Outbreak they had it so all items and characters where kept remembered by the engine(snce it was in realtime) and it made the load times almost unbearable.

Some talk about how enemies bodies help them keep track of an area for when they explore. Didn't the developers say there would basically be no backtracking in this game (to distant it away from the old games)? What if they make enemies respawn now as well (you'll have a mountain of dead guys on your screen lol)? Its not like the bad guys disappearing will make the game bad. :p

Alti
22nd Aug 2005, 01:01
I guess it really doesn't matter. If the bodies disappear, it will keep the place tidy, but if they remain and you travel to the same spot later on, Lara can say to herself.." Yeah I took your butt down"! LOL. :)

Master_Shake
22nd Aug 2005, 06:00
I like the fade effect on animals but as far as human combatants I think they should stay on the floor.
You can use them as a I am here now compass for when your stuck in a kind of looped or maze like are of the game.

oracle
22nd Aug 2005, 22:10
I'm ok with the fading, especially since all that has remained is the goodies/ammo to pick up. I don't think bodies remaining is important. And if bodies remaining contributes to slow load time then forget it. We don't need that.

Alexlovesguns
23rd Aug 2005, 17:45
There is nothing more anoying than seeing bodies disapear, even being just a game its breaks the imersion of being in a real tomb fighting real enemies.
Its just poor to take out an enemie just to see it fade out and disapear like magic, i would be very disapointed with that horrible, cheap gamish feature, atleast for PC they should give us the option ;) . Bodies dont disapear in Hitman, Max Payne, SC, etc, this game should be no less than these...

Johnny
23rd Aug 2005, 18:58
The corpses should remain! I couldn't stand the disappearing baddies in TR4 to TR6. So unrealistic... :rolleyes:

foxybunny
25th Aug 2005, 21:14
I'll always remember playing Tr1 for the first time, the wolves scared me alot :eek: i did think it was pretty cool to see them yelp before flipping onto their banks with their little legs sticking in the air. Oh, and it was helpful to c where i had been before. I have a terrible sense of direction. I REALLY hope TR: Legend is like the original tombraider, no "human" style levels :rolleyes:

JunoJIm
3rd Oct 2005, 04:43
Two comments, both about the early Indiana Jones:

It was really funny sometimes, because the bodies would stay, and the stupid software would keep sending more guys, and you'd end up with a big pile of bodies, all exactly lying the same way LOL ...

One idea was good - Indy had CHALK !!! If he wanted to, he could make a mark on the wall, to see that he'd been there... sometimes he'd write something pretty funny too...

dhama
3rd Oct 2005, 08:34
I think 'dead bodies' are irrellevent to the direction of TombRaider... unless they are alien or demonic creatures. Seeing human or animals lying on the ground too long is unecassary I think ;) .

Acceber
3rd Oct 2005, 20:41
I have a terrible sense of direction.

Me too. I need dead bodies as waypoints, otherwise I really could end up going in circles for ever and ever (I'm thinking of Chronicles, round and round the submarine, like a teddy bear... ) :rolleyes:

WraithStar
3rd Oct 2005, 20:41
I very much want to see the bodies remaining on the floor. I also do *not* want respawning enemies, so the body build-up wouldn't be an issue there :p Unless there's a semi-story based reason for bodies disappearing (like in PoP where they are made of sand), then the bodies should stay.

My sense of direction is also a little questionable. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who got lost in the submarine;)

projo
4th Oct 2005, 01:13
I think that its wonderful that someone brought this up!
Thanx, xxx Lara xxx !
I like the bodies ! They remind me that there will be most likely some peace and quiet where they repose.
I don't just want the bodies to remain where they fell, but I think that it would be a nice touch if they began to decompose, molder, rot, etc, and perhaps even provide snacks for the rats and various other critters. So if you came by an area and one of those unfortunate dead chaps was missing an arm or a nose, this would tip you off that there was something big or not so big around that might decide to try for you. :eek:
Also, I like the idea of taking everything of value from a corpse, searching their pockets for clues, and taking whatever weapons and ammunition they might have. Or keys, passcards, ID's, cash, whatever. :cool:

projo
7th Oct 2005, 15:06
Or, taking another example from Morrowind, you could just click on the body and dispose of it. Doing this automatically gives you all of their possessions in your inventory.
Of course, you don't have the advantage of a landmark then, to know if you have been there before or not if it gets confusing. Maybe you could pile up a couple of rocks instead, or drop a small object (again from Morrowind, an empty bottle, a pot or something. I always make a pile of their armor and boots.) :D

Legendary Lara Croft
7th Oct 2005, 16:03
i think it should be optional so that players can enable it for best graphics or disable it if they want to make the game run faster

matt2324
10th Oct 2005, 03:08
i think that the enemys should just disaper it will get very annoying to have them in your way while doing a puzzel and if you are going up aganist a bunch of people there will be a pile of people on the ground which isnt a good thing.

WraithStar
10th Oct 2005, 17:38
I heard that the game would be more focused on exploring and solving puzzles (which I hope is true:)), so I don't think bodies building up would be an issue. (I also heard that combat would play a large role, so I'm just picking and choosing which things to believe for now :p )

Master
25th Oct 2005, 02:31
I never really liked the bodies disappearing...that always bothered me in the RE series. They can do something cool,however,clear an area of enemies then if/and when you return to the area it's full of zombies. Dude, I'd be going back to areas just to kill everything...again!! :D

Dutch_Croft
25th Oct 2005, 05:28
I agree with Master, its so unrealystic when dead bodys just dissapear in to nothing.. its al so easyer to know where you did kill your enemies and where you did'nt yet, just in case if you dont play the whole level in one day... :D

~~LaraCroft~~
27th Oct 2005, 02:13
I'm ok with the fading, especially since all that has remained is the goodies/ammo to pick up. I don't think bodies remaining is important. And if bodies remaining contributes to slow load time then forget it. We don't need that.

Maybe bodies (Dead or not) can be usefull, if there are still enimes shotting Lara can pic up the dead body and use it as a shield.
Hey that could be a new move she can pic items up and use them as a shield. :D

Master
27th Oct 2005, 03:10
Fading bodies? Just think how much money they save on funeral expenses! :D

Sorry,had to say it.

CaninD
28th Oct 2005, 12:46
hmmmmmmmmm....I remember Eidos claiming before AOD came out that enemies in the new game would have the ability to see and react to their surroundings just like Metal Gear Solid has. So then, for that to be a reality, the bodies would have to stay visible so the other characters can react to them... :confused:

tip
28th Oct 2005, 15:39
all this realism in the game and they want to let the dead bodies fade out? :rolleyes:
all this realism in the game and they are making a parapa the rapper gameplay?
all this back-2-the-roots talk from Eidos and they are gonna let Zip talk to Lara with a hi tech communication device??
+ I feel that the game is gonna be too easy & too short.
The only positive thing ive read so far are the sweet graphics on Xbox 360..............

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Master
29th Oct 2005, 15:13
all this realism in the game and they want to let the dead bodies fade out? :rolleyes:
all this realism in the game and they are making a parapa the rapper gameplay?
all this back-2-the-roots talk from Eidos and they are gonna let Zip talk to Lara with a hi tech communication device??
+ I feel that the game is gonna be too easy & too short.
The only positive thing ive read so far are the sweet graphics on Xbox 360..............

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Then don't buy it :p
TR1 & TR 2 were the hardest and the funnest! TR3, they started,in my opion,straying away from what made the series great. Chronicles was lame and the Last Revelation was boring but had some hard parts in it. I played about half of AOD and I thought it was fun. The Lost Artifact was cool and I haven't played "Curse of the Sword" on the Gameboy so don't know how that one is...did I miss any? :D
I know I got off track but the point is going back to the roots of the series is a very good thing!!!!! :thumbsup:

KHollister
29th Oct 2005, 17:40
Let's see... I played TR3 first, then TR2. They had a lot in common. The Lost Artifact was good, too; even though it seemed to be an add-on to TR3. I liked TR4 as well.

However, I will say that the series took a big departure with TR5 (Chronicles). As I've mentioned in other posts, changing Lara's history did not set well with me. Not only that, does anyone remember that in TR5, Von Croy was trapped in the beginning, then came back later in game as a wheelchair-bound CEO of his own corporation? Then in TR6, he's an archaelogist again, walking around in his own apartment!

As far as it goes, I didn't mind Zip, but before that, Lara had always acted independently. It just didn't seem right that she would "team up" with anyone... Then Kurtis was added to "liven up" things (just like writers do with a dying television series). I think everyone can agree it was an act of desperation, and extremely transparent... :(

If they truly go back to Lara's roots, then I'll be happy. But I've heard rumors of a evil twin sister :confused: I hope those rumors aren't true...

Anyway, my vote is for corpses to remain on the floor. To have them fade away reminds me that it's just a game...

WraithStar
29th Oct 2005, 17:45
I'm pretty sure that The Lost Artifact *was* an expansion for TR3. I haven't actually played it yet since I haven't found it in stores, but I liked the demo:)

susan
29th Oct 2005, 18:04
If they truly go back to Lara's roots, then I'll be happy. But I've heard rumors of a evil twin sister :confused: I hope those rumors aren't true...Yeah I feel a bit like that sometimes. Like they're holding up only four fingers and but keep telling me there's five...

We'll see.

Disappearing bodies, I don't mind either way.

Master
29th Oct 2005, 20:38
I'm pretty sure that The Lost Artifact *was* an expansion for TR3. I haven't actually played it yet since I haven't found it in stores, but I liked the demo:)

The Lost Artifact is a direct sequel to 3. It's a cool game! :)

Sophia Leigh
30th Oct 2005, 00:38
The Lost Artifact is a direct sequel to 3. It's a cool game! :)
I've just bought it & it should arrive in about a week or 2 (its coming from the US) - I can't wait, its the only one I haven't played yet!!! :D

LPGIRL
30th Oct 2005, 00:38
Dead enemies should remain where they perished! I like the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when I see them there, forever frozen. When dead enemies disappear, it really takes away the adrenaline of seeing your opponent dead, and also quickly dissipates your sense of accomplishment, particularly if you worked hard to defeat them. ;)

Master
30th Oct 2005, 01:34
I've just bought it & it should arrive in about a week or 2 (its coming from the US) - I can't wait, its the only one I haven't played yet!!! :D

You'll like it! It has the elements of 2 & 3 but not without it being it's own game!
:D

Wisby
31st Oct 2005, 11:04
I would like to see the dead bodies. It adds more realism. But it would be better if you could choose between displaying the bodies or making them dissapear.

The same as your view!
Obviously it's better if it's optional.