PDA

View Full Version : tactics

madmaxthebest
17th Aug 2005, 07:06
what is the best tactic for control the whole map

K1ler
17th Aug 2005, 11:07
Conquer all territories? Do not understand your question.

efthimios
17th Aug 2005, 11:33
Indeed, what do you mean by that?

If you mean the map of the "world", then the easiest would be a combination of war and peaceful annexation.
If you mean the battle map, please be more specific.

officerpuppy
17th Aug 2005, 13:45
Defend your boarders and your lands fiercely, build up trade quick, make peace and then buy everyone out :D

Nial
17th Aug 2005, 19:00
The easiest tactic would be the peacefull annexation route. The most satisfying (to me ) would be conquer the whole world by force. :D

cocane
18th Aug 2005, 00:22
Peaceful annexation is such a crap.

They do not only get the country, without fighting a single man... NO: they get the country and ALL MEN they would have had to kill otherwise.
What a crap.
In hard setting its almost impossible to annex. Since they all declare me war all the time (and that makes a 10% after peace treaty), and after a while i cant afford to buy me out.

Just played as russia in hard. Austria annexed Lombary and Saxon. Pussia annexed Poland. England annexed Portugal, Spain, conquered half france, annexed Hanover and Denmark,too. I am speaking of 1794!
Now all they do is declare me war, even england, so i took norway :)
Austria invaded and prussia too, was able to beat em up with ALL i had in russia, only one austian army was left and was holding one of my lands. Next turn austria annexed ottoman... no need to write how they crushed me with their "allnew" ottoman armies.

If a country gets annexed, all their army would desert. They vowed to their former king/ruler and now someone else "annexes" the land. At least they should desert about 50%. The expensiver the unit was to build, the more should leave since they were much more loyal to the old king/ruler.

Or, as i said elsewhere, make the Consulate an ERA2 building. It has more benefits than just the possible annexation when a country likes you.

[maybe you notice i´m a little upset]

efthimios
18th Aug 2005, 00:36
Actually there were times when "annexed" countries did not lose their armies, when done so willingly...Most recent examples I guess are (somewhat) from the WW2.

I tell you this though, no matter how good or bad this game is, in no game so far has the countries fought and expanded the same way, I like that :-)

ST0MPA
18th Aug 2005, 06:51

I tell you this though, no matter how good or bad this game is, in no game so far has the countries fought and expanded the same way, I like that :-)

Yes so true.

cocane
18th Aug 2005, 15:53
if anyone remembers civilization 2:

there the AI could organize on a map with some million fields.... choosing themselves where to build cities and placing their armies.

Its not that hard to code AI for a map with 30 provinces.... and if they can only move to about 5 or 6 at a time.

efthimios
18th Aug 2005, 16:50
I don't know if we have played the same civ II or not, but the AI in civ II that I know constantly expanded without much care for where the cities were build. Also, for example, if you had a ring of cities and barely enough space inside the "ring", the AI would cross the borders without caring and plant one city there. Same and worse with civ III. I can't comment on the first civ since I never liked that one to play enough to know it well.

Nial
18th Aug 2005, 20:53
[QUOTE=cocane]Peaceful annexation is such a crap.

In hard setting its almost impossible to annex. Since they all declare me war all the time (and that makes a 10% after peace treaty), and after a while i cant afford to buy me out.

I understand your angst. But the statement that peacefull annexation is imposible in hard mode is erroneous. Once you start forcefreeing minors from a majors you'll find peacefull annexation in hard mode is just as easy as in any other mode. :D