PDA

View Full Version : what graphics cards are supported?

question
10th Aug 2005, 15:22
Ok, where's the list of supported graphics cards? I've looked all over this chaotic website (eidosgames) and I can't find a list.

I don't want something generic like "anything that supports Pixel shading".

I want to hear what has been tried and works. From what I hear, getting the "Right" card is a huge source of frustration for some people.

jaywalker2309
12th Aug 2005, 20:00
Ok, where's the list of supported graphics cards? I've looked all over this chaotic website (eidosgames) and I can't find a list.

I don't want something generic like "anything that supports Pixel shading".

I want to hear what has been tried and works. From what I hear, getting the "Right" card is a huge source of frustration for some people.

GeForce 3
GeForce 4 (except MX)
GeForce FX
GeForce 6 series

Radeon 9 series
Radeon X series

There ya go

question
13th Aug 2005, 04:08
thanks for the list.

claddagh37
30th Aug 2005, 17:01
I have a brand new Radeon X series driver, and the video scenes are really choppy. Any other Radeon X Series users have this problem? Any solutions?

intrepid_soul
6th Sep 2005, 17:35
I have a brand new Radeon X series driver, and the video scenes are really choppy. Any other Radeon X Series users have this problem? Any solutions?

I had one in my system for 2 days, and I had the choppy videos. I had a user email me, they uninstalling and reinstalled the drivers for their gamepads and it worked for them. Try it and see if it works for you. If it does please respond back then I can make it a FAQ on our support site.

claddagh37
6th Sep 2005, 18:10
funny you should suggest that, because it turns out that is exactly what it was. I have a new Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3 gamepad, and that is what was slowing everything down. I updated the drivers for the gamepad and it worked fine!

markz
21st Nov 2005, 01:02
GeForce 3
GeForce 4 (except MX)
GeForce FX
GeForce 6 series

Radeon 9 series
Radeon X series

There ya go

Excuse the newbie question, as this is my first forray into gaming.

Does the PNY Verto GeForce 6600 fit one of these catagories?

Thanks!

intrepid_soul
21st Nov 2005, 01:26
Excuse the newbie question, as this is my first forray into gaming.

Does the PNY Verto GeForce 6600 fit one of these catagories?

Thanks!

This falls under the 6 series(those being the ones that begin with the number 6). So it should work, providing you have the latest update to your drivers for the video and sound card.

stevepugh
11th Jan 2006, 23:43
I just installed this game and my old graphics card (nVidia GeForce2) could not cope with it.

So I went out and bought a PNY Verto GeForce MX5500 which more than supports Pixel Shaders 1.1 (if you get my meaning). I installed the card in a spare PCI slot and Win xp found the new hardware and asked me to insert the cd-rom that came with the card etc.. which i did and win xp installed the drivers. Fine, everything went ok with that. I then started the game (note I did not re-start the PC at this stage) and bingo the game played perfectly. The graphics were great and the game played really smoothly. My 5 1/2 year old son was ecstatic.

The following day, after the PC had been shutdown overnight, the PC was switched on and the Nvidia icon had appeared in the task manager. I tried the game and got the following message "failed to create d3d device application will now exit"

What is going on? I have tried everything to get it working again (except downloading drivers from Nvidia. I gave up as the download speed was terrible). I really don't understand how it could have gone wrong bearing in mind I have a compatible graphics card.

Does anyone have any answers? Can Eidos offer any help, as they developed the game?

Please help as I now have a seriously upset 5 1/2 year old.

intrepid_soul
11th Jan 2006, 23:50
I just installed this game and my old graphics card (nVidia GeForce2) could not cope with it.

So I went out and bought a PNY Verto GeForce MX5500 which more than supports Pixel Shaders 1.1 (if you get my meaning). I installed the card in a spare PCI slot and Win xp found the new hardware and asked me to insert the cd-rom that came with the card etc.. which i did and win xp installed the drivers. Fine, everything went ok with that. I then started the game (note I did not re-start the PC at this stage) and bingo the game played perfectly. The graphics were great and the game played really smoothly. My 5 1/2 year old son was ecstatic.

The following day, after the PC had been shutdown overnight, the PC was switched on and the Nvidia icon had appeared in the task manager. I tried the game and got the following message "failed to create d3d device application will now exit"

What is going on? I have tried everything to get it working again (except downloading drivers from Nvidia. I gave up as the download speed was terrible). I really don't understand how it could have gone wrong bearing in mind I have a compatible graphics card.

Does anyone have any answers? Can Eidos offer any help, as they developed the game?

The MX series of video card do not support Hardware Transform and Lighting which this game requires in order to play. Giant is the company that actually developed the game, Eidos simply distributed it.

stevepugh
12th Jan 2006, 00:02
Thanks for your reply. But that doesn't explain the fact that it worked fine prior to the PC being Re-booted.

Would having 3d analyze on the machine have had something to do with it.

I had that on my PC because it enabled the game to be played using my older GeForce2 card.

cheers,

stevepugh
12th Jan 2006, 09:22
Re: my previous post. I said my graphics card was and MX 5500 this was incorrect it is an FX 5500.

Is this a supported card? Some of the previous posts seem to say the FX range is supported.

Does anyone have a contact address for the developer of this game?

cheers.

lytic
19th Jan 2006, 05:16
Re: my previous post. I said my graphics card was and MX 5500 this was incorrect it is an FX 5500.

Is this a supported card? Some of the previous posts seem to say the FX range is supported.

Does anyone have a contact address for the developer of this game?

cheers.

When upgrading to another video card, its generally recommended to completely remove all drivers and software related to graphics cards. I use ATI and they have an actually super uninstall file that will remove EVERYTHING ATI on the system for a quick and clean install. I'd start there.

intrepid_soul
19th Jan 2006, 07:53

Sorry trying to catch up on the forums now. This sounds like a classic case of having the older drivers still on the hard drive. I would go into add remove programs and remove all Nvidia software and drivers, and reinstall the latest drivers. Also make sure you have removed the old video card that would cause this issue too if you left it in your system. If it is an integrated card, that is built into the motherboard, contact your computer manufacturer on disabling that card in the system bios.

Neume
11th Jun 2006, 02:10
I just wanted to add a video card to the list: I installed an XGI Volari V3 with 128 megs, and it works just fine, for significantly less cost than the others listed.