PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of sharks? Don't watch "Jaws" then

Godfather
5th Aug 2005, 12:17
The first time I saw Steven Spielberg's wonderful (if that's the word I'm looking for) masterpiece of the giant eating machine was back when I was a little boy presumably not much older than 9 or 10. I already had a keen interest in these big fish plus the fact that we were visiting some friends of my parents and those 2 things led to the only reasons why I was able to watch that film at such a young age. My mom never would've approved it otherwise.

I don't mean to exaggerate things but even with the lights still on, I don't think I was ever THAT scared as during those haunting 2 hours. Especially the first half hour with the 3 hair-raising attacks of the shark on the teenager girl, the little boy and the man in the boat were the cause why I (amongst many others; I think) am still VERY afraid of sharks to this date. Even though I can easily sit through a National Geographic-documentary about sharks (because THEY ARE after all just fish and they're in fact even beautiful) anything else which is a dramatic and overdone version of these perfect creatures gives me the creeps and makes me very uncomfortable. :o

"Jaws" changed my life that evening and I was never the same afterwards. Something evil had entered and broken my young and innocent mind and has given me this irrational fear of these large underwater animals along with the word 'shark' itself. The next day I had gymnastics and we had to go for a swim, but after being in the water for not more than 5 minutes … I freaked out!! I remember we had to dive in the water and swim underwater as far as we could. And I remember I could've gone much, much further but I couldn't get rid of that haunting idea of a huge shark being right behind me ready to bite off my legs and pull me down to a certain death. Even though the thought of a shark in a swimming pool is pure madness … as a 9-year-old boy reality becomes quite easily overshadowed by fiction. :(

Fortunately, for almost 20 years I never experienced such a fear anymore. I grew up and learned enough about sharks to see that there are far more dangerous things in the ocean such as Barracuda’s and piranha’s as well as the fact that I came to understand that no shark has ever been as big and violent as Bruce the plastic piece of fish in 1975. From time to time, I still had problems facing sharks though. The sharks in the videogame “Tomb Raider II” are immensely frightening (when swimming on the bottom of the ocean and you see a white shape with lifeless eyes gaining on you) … I’m never comfortable during those levels and I’m always sweating and usually playing with all lights on. Watching the film “Deep blue sea” was also a test but nowhere near as terrifying as “Jaws”. :)

Now: why am I telling you this? Because last night I was watching “Jaws” again with all the lights out and the volume of my speakers well up. I was home alone (duh! I live on my own) and it had been ages since I had seen this film again. I couldn’t even remember half of it anymore. As I stated above, the last hour/hour and a half is not scary. Maybe for kids, but not when you’re an adult. The shark itself is obviously so unreal at times that those scenes have become a lot less frightening over the years; even though the tension is still more than present throughout the entire movie. It’s really the first half hour that’ll scare the flying fish outta you! :eek:

When that teenage girl gets pulled under and starts screaming so realistically and crying for help I almost forgot to breath. I sighed and got something from the kitchen. When that boy gets murdered and his blood starts gushing all over the water and gallons of it is splashing up like a fountain from h€ll ... I got the same chilling, revolting and stomach-turning feeling again that I first got when I was a child. In an instant, I was 9 years old again. When the third victim was killed off; namely that man in the boat; and I saw how he was almost for a third swallowed by that shark … I suddenly had trouble breathing. I had to turn on the lights and it took me about 20 minutes before I could continue the film. I had to watch the rest with the ceiling lights on. :eek:

When I had finished the film, I couldn’t go to bed … I just couldn’t!! I couldn’t even turn off the lights! The second I did so, I saw that haunting image of a huge shark in front of me ready to bite my head off. I thought I got rid of this crap, but apparently it’s gonna stick with me forever. I actually had to watch the first 25 minutes of Disney’s magnificent and utterly funny “The emperor’s new groove” before I could go to bed. I first tried to turn off the lights and go to bed at 12.15 hrs ……… by 3.30 hrs. I was still awake. :o

Am I going crazy or is watching a film when you’re too young really something that’ll stay with you forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever …..

I know one thing: it’s the last time I’m gonna watch anything with sharks right before having to go to sleep ...... :D ;)

Bye for now

Sophia Leigh
5th Aug 2005, 12:43
Jaws was on TV here a few nights ago for the 30 year aniversary. My husband watched it but I didn't have the guts :o . I played Tomb Raider 2 gold instead :D . I remember being quite young at a friends house watching it and being terrified too :eek: .

My brother had a similar problem with the movie childs play but thats another story ;) .

LaraAngelOfDarkness
5th Aug 2005, 18:03
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but when I was little I couldn't get enough horror movies. I watched 'em all: Nightmare on Elm Street(series), Child's Play(series), Friday the 13th (series), Jaws (series), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and any other stupid little horror movie to come out. :D

Deekman
5th Aug 2005, 18:36
"...like a doll's eyes."
Even freshwater swimming has never been the same.
Addicting movie. When channel surfing, if we come across Jaws,
there we stay.

Sophia Leigh
6th Aug 2005, 12:01
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but when I was little I couldn't get enough horror movies. I watched 'em all: Nightmare on Elm Street(series), Child's Play(series), Friday the 13th (series), Jaws (series), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and any other stupid little horror movie to come out. :D

I thought Child's Play & Nightmare on Elm Street were hilarious, they were so "B" grade :D , but then I watched those a couple of years after seeing Jaws.

uzigirl
6th Aug 2005, 17:32
I think you might have a point there GodFather. I watched many scary films as a youngster (left alone with only my brothers for company) and I think it stays within you, the fear which re-awakens from your childhood watching those movies again today.

For me with Jaws, it is the music that gets to me as my heart pounds and tries to get out of my throat lol. True though. :eek:

foxybunny
8th Aug 2005, 11:20
I was 9 when i watched the first Nightmare on Elm Street film when i was staying in Wales on holiday, it totally ****** me up i think i was about 14 when i no longer had sleepness nights about it. I'm 22 now, and i still can't have someone walk behind me in the dark, even if i know who it is :eek:

Deekman
8th Aug 2005, 14:52
Hey Foxybunny! Long time no see!

GeorgeMaciver
8th Aug 2005, 15:55
I believe the answer to a shark that's just about to bite you, is to grab its tongue real hard. Not tried this myself, but I have it on reliable authority from someone who teaches the subject.

Crocs too, apparently.

:D

maniac44
8th Aug 2005, 16:53
Grab his tongue?? Do sharks have tongues?? His tongue is still surrounded by sharp teeth. :eek:

From what I've heard on the educational channels, you're suppose to punch them in the gills.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
8th Aug 2005, 18:26
I believe the answer to a shark that's just about to bite you, is to grab its tongue real hard. Not tried this myself, but I have it on reliable authority from someone who teaches the subject.

Crocs too, apparently.

You could always punch it in the nose, lol! :D

Sophia Leigh
9th Aug 2005, 11:09

Crocs too, apparently.

Crikey! :D

uzigirl
9th Aug 2005, 17:03
From watching many shark/crocodile programmes they do say to poke the sharks or crocs in the eyes very hard for a chance so you can escape. :eek:

LuxAngel
12th Aug 2005, 18:42
Um. My mother had a sort of a mantra: "If you kids wanna watch that satanic movie, you go right ahead! But I'm not coming into your room when you're screaming in the middle of the night." LOL

Anything that wasn't lollipops & roses was classified in a similar manner.

But mom was right on this one! I watched as she firmly marched away and went up the stairs -- leaving us to our own doom. lol

"The Omen", (maybe called "Omen") -- left me and my older brother terrified. Of everything. I remember that as the movie rolled along, I became petrified. I simply could. not. move. from the chair! My brother and I remained silent the entire time, eyes mercilessly afixed to the screen.

When the movie ended, we realized... the house was dark entirely, except for the spot in which we sat. How do we go upstairs now, without the devil getting us?

I don't remember how we ever made it up those stairs. But I do remember that a creeping terror enveloped me every day after school; we had to be alone in the house until mom came home!

So there we were, sitting like conjoined twins on the sofa. We sought to minimize ourselves in every way: we dared not move from that spot until our mom arrived; and if we spoke, we only allowed ourselves to whisper. I remember having to go to the bathroom, and my older brother asking me, "Can you hold it? ?"

This was clearly a life and death situation. And yes, I did.

The 'spell' finally broke because my weariness of the fear was greater than the fear itself. I hated being frozen, waiting, listening.... "I'm going to make some tea!" I announced.

My brother's eyes were big. "You're going into the KITCHEN?!"
"Yeah. I have to make some tea. And if you go with me, we'll both be safe."

I don't know how that rationale was devised, but there it was.

We counted to three and stormed toward the kitchen. The sun was streaming through the windows, as if happy to see us again from this vantage point. It had been a while since we ventured into the kitchen at that time of day.

We looked at each other... and laughed. "It" was gone.

Out of morbid curiosity, I watched that same movie again, years later. It was strange that I found nothing scary about it. Don't know why, but I was somewhat disappointed by the absence of fear. Go figure. lol

CatSuit&Ponytail
12th Aug 2005, 20:25
Lux, that's one of the most interesting posts I've read in a long, long time! :) I loved your telling of it your experience. :D

And Mum, your "Crikey! :D" left me lol. ;)

Sophia Leigh
14th Aug 2005, 05:56
And Mum, your "Crikey! :D" left me lol. ;)

:D I couldn't resist.

knightgames
17th Aug 2005, 05:12
Originally Posted by GeorgeMaciver

I hear his name is now Lefty. :D

LuxAngel
17th Aug 2005, 14:07
Lux, that's one of the most interesting posts I've read in a long, long time! :) I loved your telling of it your experience. :D...
Wow, how very sweet of you! I'm quite humbled and flattered, Catsuit!

Thank you! :)

IndyDallasJones
21st Aug 2005, 19:18
That was a pretty fun read! This was a very unusual sounding topic, but turned out to be pretty good reading & probably provided alot of cheer for others with certain phobias or such type experiences. Human life is facinating, isn't it.

Don't let anybody with any shark hand puppets sneak up behind you. You'll need a shirt with "Approach at your own Risk IF you are wearing Shark HandPuppets!" .... Taking them off right now. Too hard to type with them on anyway.
:eek: :o

GeorgeMaciver
21st Aug 2005, 19:25
Yep, I think I'll post a link to this thread to my mate, for a laugh, heh heh.

GeorgeMaciver
21st Aug 2005, 22:09
And here's what he had to say (he's Norwegian):

Hehe, I did have a look for you, but not online anymore. Good posting, not that we gained to many believers though ;) Keep insisting, the tongue is the way to go.

THE EYE?!

Yeah, what if it closes the eye? HUH! And for those that haven’t noticed, it got two eyes! The tongue works; we also use it on wolves and bears.

Not to mention dinosaurs and my wife ;)

The thing is that it can’t close the mouth as you hold one to the tongue. Try it and find out ;)

R M

Sophia Leigh
22nd Aug 2005, 02:44
The thing is that it can’t close the mouth as you hold one to the tongue. Try it and find out ;)

Hey George! Tell your friend no thanks from me :eek: ! :D