PDA

View Full Version : will you buy anything from pyro again?

ruftops
4th Aug 2005, 22:59
Well for me, I don't think I will, am dissapointed. As someone on here has said, "there is a whole community of napoleonic wargamers out there" . Now we've all bought the game (most of us anyway) Pyro seem content now on just counting the profit they've made out of us, and don't seem to want to listen to us gamers, especially with that silly patch they released. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, and they're preparing another patch (another 3 month wait) but I'm a bit miffed with that patch we were all promised. Why the hell have a thread on here called "patch suggestions" if Pyro didn't really take any notice (not Eidos fault, as you say, you passed it on to them) There, thats my rant at Pyro, I'm sure Pyro have it in their best interests to improve relations with us gamers, as I'm sure Imperial glory won't be the last title they release. Or maybe it is with that nice little profit they made from it! :p

Queeg
4th Aug 2005, 23:58
I'm not sorry I bought IG. It's still a good game. But it seems highly unlikely that it will ever achieve its full potential or attract a loyal following because of poor support.

I will be more cautious about Pyro games in the future. Because, so far, I'd put them in the bottom 10% of game companies in terms of communication and support. I'll need to be sure that their next game is well-conceived and bug-free before I buy it.

Nahirean
5th Aug 2005, 06:14
I'm not sorry I bought IG. It's still a good game. But it seems highly unlikely that it will ever achieve its full potential or attract a loyal following because of poor support.

I will be more cautious about Pyro games in the future. Because, so far, I'd put them in the bottom 10% of game companies in terms of communication and support. I'll need to be sure that their next game is well-conceived and bug-free before I buy it.

As it stands right now, I will never - EVER buy anything from Pyro again.

Last time I posted that I was mocked by a moderator on this board. I quote, "boohoo."

zeroh
5th Aug 2005, 07:04
Yah i still will but like the poster above said ill be very careful and wait couple months for them to fix the bugs etc. IG isnt a bad game its just dissapointing to see it not reaching it full potential.

Wiltshire Tony
5th Aug 2005, 08:02
I think IG is a great game. I've been playing nothing else since it's day of release.
But would I get another Pyro related product. Probably no.

But I do think that another game developer will see the lost opportunity and step in with a better product. Wait and see.

Hengist_Sharpe
5th Aug 2005, 10:20
I'll only buy another title from Pyro, after it's been released for 6 months, it's been patched and is half price in a sale or in the bargain bin at the local shop.

After this bad experience, I'm wary of Pyro titles, and also a little concerned at Eidos for publishing such titles from a company with the standards that Pyro display towards their customers.

In future I'll also be careful about games from Eidos as well.

Sorry Eidos.

zzxxcc
5th Aug 2005, 12:25
In a heartbeat.

Imperial Glory is a very good game, maybe not a 'great' game but frankly I think great games are generally just good games that were very unanticipated.

Overly anticipated games create fanboy/anti-fanboy legions who feel somehow overly vested in the game development and can either smother any negative criticism (if they feel the game meets their PERSONAL expectations) or batter any positive remarks to dust (if they feel it does not.)

And frankly, if I was not going to buy a game from any company that disappointed me in the past, I'd be left playing tiddley-winks in my driveway.

If this game had a problem it was the way this forum was allowed to run itself off at the mouth to the point of poisoning the well.

The game itself had charted in the UK fairly well. And STILL continues to chart well. It was also nicely reviewed. And while I'm guessing while it wasn't Rome-(I don't give a rat's *** about this game) total war. It did quite nicely for itself.

And since I'm guessing the Spanish developers charged a heck of alot less than you're standard run of mill American programming sweatshops, I'm guessing it cost alot less to make.

PrinceMyshkin
5th Aug 2005, 13:19
i would by IG II ! or any expansion.

my game purchase is decided by the actual game itself, not the company (with the exception of the total war series; with the exception of futuristic or fantasy, i'll buy it) but if IG goes to another time period, i would definitely consider buying it (about a 90% chance).

theenglishdude
5th Aug 2005, 16:43
I think they should stay in this time period :thumbsup:

Ancient era has been played to death as has the medieval period but napoleonic has some real potential for more games. I think if there's an IG2 then it should just be a new version of this game

Gelatinous Cube
5th Aug 2005, 19:54
I don't see myself buying any future strategy games from Pyro.

moetman
5th Aug 2005, 21:25
Games are usualy released incrementally to maximize the income from them, we'll have IG2 with a few of the things we want ... then IG-The Last Revelation with even more of the things we want, then IG-Gold with more playable countries etc..etc.. Thats the reason Pyro aren't saying anything or supporting version 1.x , they'll probably post something in a couple of months saying "In response to the IG community we are releasing IG2 ". They want us to fork out another $80AUS for the next iteration of IG instead of patching version 1.
What version is the commandos up to ? They'll milk that one !

Eidos also deserve to be scolded . They've probably asked Pyro to release an incomplete product or cut their funding and maybe have even gagged them , who knows.

I wont be touching Eidos or Pyro

Broadside
5th Aug 2005, 21:57
I would be extremely wary of them from now on and certainly would not rush out and buy a game of theirs on day of release like I did with IG. Their customer relations range from abysmal to non-existent and that will be more telling on Pyro's future than anything else. Gamers are getting savvy these days and will not support a poor company like Pyro after a bad experience.

Sharpe
5th Aug 2005, 22:03
I think it's a good game, that could become an excellent game with some adjustments. Though I do agree that Pyro have not done enough, or communicated enough. If they start to bring out more, better patches and a decent expansion, then they have a final opportunity to redeem themselves.

Queeg
5th Aug 2005, 22:16
I often buy games from companies that I like, even though I know the game will be less than stellar out of the box, because I know the company will support the game over the long haul. Paradox, Matrix, Battlefront - all are smaller developers whose games are sometimes buggy on release. But they support the heck out of them - and, most importantly, communicate with their customers along the way - and thus have developed very loyal and supportive fans.

No one expects perfection. But neither does anyone appreciate being ignored. It's really hard to work up much enthusiasm for a game when even the guys who made it don't seem to give a damn about it.

efthimios
6th Aug 2005, 02:16
I don't understand. What is wrong with this game to have some of you respond in such a negative way?
The game is not perfect, but what game is? How can you say that you will not buy a game from a company just because the game is not as you would like it to be? I found the speed of the battles a tad too fast at times but it was fixed in a way. The battles are not as detailed as say Waterloo (based on Gettysburg's engine), and at some parts the game is not at the same level as other strategy games, but, for what it is, it is very good IMO. I would agree to avoid buying any future games if say the game was full of bugs and/or unplayable, but it isn't!
I too would prefer including morale in the game and a much better designed naval battles system and a few better options here and there but that is not enough for me to accuse Pyro or even eidos for ...for what?
I think you are over reacting.

I do hope that the game sold well enough to see a sequel with a larger playing field, similar perhaps to the change between Europa Universalis 1 and 2. and more of everything, but even without it, this game is a good strategy game! IMO always.

Gelatinous Cube
6th Aug 2005, 02:20
IG is buggy. It's easy. The historical accuracy is non-existant, the tactical challenge is non-existent, the strategic challenge is non-existent. The Naval Battles are unmanageable. Did I mention it was buggy?

Not to mention the developers have been on some kind of "vacation" or another since it's release.

Honestly, this is absurd. I'll stick to Paradox for my strategy games.

Queeg
6th Aug 2005, 03:22
The game is fun as is. But the units need tweaking to improve combat. A mod probably could handle it, if only we could figure out how to edit the unit stats. But Pyro has refused to share that information, despite repeated requests. (Maybe the guy who knows is on vacation or is going on vacation or is coming back from vacation or doesn't speak English or whatever. Fact remains that the game has been out for more than two months and people have been asking for this information from the outset. Silence under those circumstances is tantamount to a refusal.)

sick
6th Aug 2005, 03:55
I don't think you should give your opinion about a developer based on just one game. The fact that you don't like this game doesn't mean you won't like any of their other games, because they are completely different games.

To answer the topic's question; I will unless Pyro sends me a copy of their next game again. :)

Queeg, one of our TAFN staffers is working on a .dt editor. He doesn't have anything executable yet, but he's progressing nicely. I'll keep you guys informed about this.

Nahirean
6th Aug 2005, 04:41
I don't think you should give your opinion about a developer based on just one game. The fact that you don't like this game doesn't mean you won't like any of their other games, because they are completely different games.

To answer the topic's question; I will unless Pyro sends me a copy of their next game again. :)

Queeg, one of our TAFN staffers is working on a .dt editor. He doesn't have anything executable yet, but he's progressing nicely. I'll keep you guys informed about this.

Hehe it's been months and everyone is "working" on a .dt editor. Are we even sure that this is the right file? Are we even sure that changing it will produce any viable results? These are questions that *COULD BE EASILY ANSWERED* by 1 dev, but they won't say a word.

sick
6th Aug 2005, 05:00
Well, HE is not working on it for months already, just a few days because he didn't have the time for it before. And yes, we are sure this is the file. The parts of source code Pyro released show things like unit sizes, damage they can take, their speeds when walking/running etc.

ruftops
6th Aug 2005, 07:27
Well lets hope something can be sorted out. The game had so much potential, just needs more tweaks, and a bit more know-howto make changes to the game. Eidos you have to admit, it has taken a while to wake someone up at Pyro to make a patch, and it seems even you weren't kept up to speed with their developments, not saying you they had an obligation to you, but they could at least give an insight to what they're working on in the game to make it better. I appreciate they worked hard on the game, but we payed them with money most of us has worked hard for, and expect a bit more from them concerning patches and updates. Anyway I didn't say I didn't like the game, I like it a lot, but can't wait for a second new patch that Pyro WILL be doing, to PLEASE US IG FANS :D (can always hope)

moetman
6th Aug 2005, 08:13
What the bloody hell is the point of having the worlds best stat file when you only have 30 minutes to play a scenario ? ?

.. I know I sound negative .. , I think it's great some guy's working on a dt editor. However I really have to agree with efthimios interpretation in his last post . I think we are expecting too much from IG , sure it's got bugs and I do agree with Gelatonous_Cube , and it's everyone's Napoleonic Game that could've been and should've been , but they obviously put out a product that is what they wanted to put out , why you would implement some of the things they did is beyond me .. however .. not my call . IG for me is solid - it has never crashed , just not what the NAP wargamer wants.

sondishG
6th Aug 2005, 14:26
Hey!
i think the game is a great game!
its not that wich will make me consider tripple times before purchasing from pyro again, its the communication from the company, or should i say non-existent-comunication?.. whats up with that?, fo real? why aint they hearing us out and wanna make it even better game?..

Queeg
6th Aug 2005, 15:37
I think we are expecting too much from IG , sure it's got bugs and I do agree with Gelatonous_Cube , and it's everyone's Napoleonic Game that could've been and should've been , but they obviously put out a product that is what they wanted to put out , why you would implement some of the things they did is beyond me .. however .. not my call .

Why is it expecting too much just to ask that Pyro talk? My three-year-old can do that.

Sir Crow
6th Aug 2005, 20:53
The people on here that say it's a great game must be new players. It feels good when you first buy it but I wonder if your enthusiasm will last after a week or too. The people who I spoke too played it non-stop for a few days then they all said that it got boring. Same maps too samey in general. IG will never compete with the Total Wars series for addictiveness, I don't know if anyone has played NTW (FREE mod for MTW) but IG lags behind woefully even with its updated graphics and when NTW2 comes out (FREE mod for RTW) then I can't see anyone getting close. Like other people have said IG could have and should have been a fantastic game but it's full of bugs, same old maps, too fast ETC ETC. I bought IG as I was promised all these mods would come out of it, talk to the modders Pyro for pete's sake, don't believe that crap they can't talk English, I'm sure they only coded the game in Spanish to hamper the modders.

moetman
6th Aug 2005, 21:33
Why is it expecting too much just to ask that Pyro talk? My three-year-old can do that.

I was talking about the Product - definitely not the support (or lack thereof)- They really haven't backed their product as they should . releasing a few editor tools and a patch that only really places "version 1.1 " on the UI is not support. However where in all the marketing hype did IG say it was offering some feature that didn't end up in the game ? From what I've read it lives up to everything it says it is . No where does it say "Massive unit sizes" or "Play for over 30 minutes" ,I'm glad to be proved wrong . We bought the game hoping it would at least be like RTW - it turned out it wasn't. Just silly game design and a few bugs.

I still enjoy the Quick Battles despite it.

ColMorimer
7th Aug 2005, 00:41
the game is good, not it is not like total war, or other games, but it is not really that flawed. there is nothing that people complaine about that was not expressed in the demo or on the web site, more countries would be nice sure but you go to the game site and you see there are 5 playable. then you play the demo and see how the battles run, and such. after the site and the demo there should be no reason to be disappointed, because it was not improved.

A game dev has a right to patch or not patch the game how they see fit, in most cases that is dependant upon just how much money the publisher dishes out. it seems we look at devs as the power because they make the game, but they are powerless since the publishers fund the game. the publisher desides when the game is done. the developers must go along with thier time table, some time they get more time to finish the game then all the fans yell about it being delayed. or it gets pushed out and they yell it is unfinished. But any developer I talked to or read a interview from all say a game is never finished just released.

you did not have to buy the game, but you did. and I am not sure much if any blame is for pyro. do you expect them to go bankrupt to improve a game beyond what eidos will fund them for? odds are they are busy working on a new game, possibally for another publisher, or working towards finding a new contract with eidos or another publisher.

Could the game be better, sure all games can, did it do what they claimed, yes. read a few dungon lord reviews if you are into RPG's. try the demo or buy it is you are really insane. it does nothing it said it would or half way does. if you can even play it through any.

screamingpalm
7th Aug 2005, 01:50
the game is good, not it is not like total war, or other games, but it is not really that flawed. there is nothing that people complaine about that was not expressed in the demo or on the web site, more countries would be nice sure but you go to the game site and you see there are 5 playable. then you play the demo and see how the battles run, and such. after the site and the demo there should be no reason to be disappointed, because it was not improved.

A game dev has a right to patch or not patch the game how they see fit, in most cases that is dependant upon just how much money the publisher dishes out. it seems we look at devs as the power because they make the game, but they are powerless since the publishers fund the game. the publisher desides when the game is done. the developers must go along with thier time table, some time they get more time to finish the game then all the fans yell about it being delayed. or it gets pushed out and they yell it is unfinished. But any developer I talked to or read a interview from all say a game is never finished just released.

you did not have to buy the game, but you did. and I am not sure much if any blame is for pyro. do you expect them to go bankrupt to improve a game beyond what eidos will fund them for? odds are they are busy working on a new game, possibally for another publisher, or working towards finding a new contract with eidos or another publisher.

Could the game be better, sure all games can, did it do what they claimed, yes. read a few dungon lord reviews if you are into RPG's. try the demo or buy it is you are really insane. it does nothing it said it would or half way does. if you can even play it through any.

I agree with what you are saying, there are features I wish were in game that arent, but that is not my decision to make so I can deal with that. My biggest gripe is that I cannot host a mp game and IG is therefore near unplayable for me since the sp part of the game offers no challenge. Im not asking for drastic changes in AI as I have another game that I enjoy as a sp game, but I would like to be able to play in mp. As it is, the mp lobby is usually near empty-empty because I am not the only one with this problem.

Captain.Crunch
7th Aug 2005, 03:45
As it stands right now, I will never - EVER buy anything from Pyro again.

Last time I posted that I was mocked by a moderator on this board. I quote, "boohoo."

Yes I recall mocking you also maybe that is because you continuously bashed the game and the developers you are an over negative person no wonder why no one wants to help you. I am expecting a reply now with more bashing as that is the sort of person you are mate. Instead of winging all the time unzip your game files and start modding the game to your liking then share your experiences with others im sure we would all love to here that instead of public bashing all the time from you.

Oststar
7th Aug 2005, 06:33
My answer is overwhelmingly no. This game has disappointed me to a very heavy extent, so much so that now my attitude towards game developers and publishers is very different. I used to have certain devs and publishers on a blacklist and I didn't touch their games. Now i've got a "whitelist" and anyone who isn't on it is not getting my money. I had to fork out $80 AU for this, and i've not seen a single Pyro dev. At the very least Pyro could have given modders the damn answers, but they didn't. Screw you too ATM; you said you'd help and gave us NOTHING. Broken promises are worse than none.

Imperial Glory had a lot to offer and still has a chance if the devs would DO something. Three months for a 5MB patch? WHAT THE ****? As always there is a large community ready to give their services for free and the devs are ignoring them. Now after finish the pathetic slap in the face patch they're on holidays. Again. That's about the third time since the release, geez, take a break from the holidays already!

From what I hear in the next five years the Computer and Gaming market will practically be crushed under its own weight: computer parts will be too expensive and the majority will stop buying new parts. Also games will have become so hit and miss, Usually for every succesful title from a company there are seven or so flops, so one has to pay for the failed titles and everything else, as well as enough to keep the company afloat until the next big title emerges, that most games companies without a very strong fanbase will simply die. Couple the way gamers are increasingly ignoring new games and the fact that many are not buying hardware, many experts think that the whole games industry will simply collapse. Congratulations to Pyro and Eidos; with this debacle they're killing the loyal fanbase just as they enter turbulent times.

Mike_B
7th Aug 2005, 09:43
Screw you too ATM; you said you'd help and gave us NOTHING. Broken promises are worse than none.

You seem to forget that I'm not affiliated with Eidos so it took some time before I could get in touch. You also seem to forget that I posted a thread post your modding questions here and forwarded it to the producer of the game who would pass it on to the lead programmer. The lead programmer will answer when he's back. If you've been waiting so long for something I'm sure those two extra weeks aren't going to kill you.

they're on holidays. Again. That's about the third time since the release, geez, take a break from the holidays already!

Not really, I thought they took a holiday after the game was finished as they did with some of their previous titles but Jaycw proved me wrong. So this is their first holiday.

As for buying games from Pyro, I'd say yes (and no I don't have to say this because I'm a mod, when I finished Commandos 3 I was dissapointed with the game as well). I personally liked the game, I found it fun which is for me the most important factor. Wheter you like the game or not of course depends on what you expect from the game. I personnally didn't care or the uniforms would be correct, or for really deep strategy and other features that other people would like. That doesn't mean I don't understand that people want them though so I hope Pyro will help the modders to implement them. They could probably have done it themselves but I'm assuming they had a vision/plan for what they wanted IG to be and don't want to change to much to it. In the end it's still their game.

Nahirean
7th Aug 2005, 17:23
Yes I recall mocking you also maybe that is because you continuously bashed the game and the developers you are an over negative person no wonder why no one wants to help you. I am expecting a reply now with more bashing as that is the sort of person you are mate. Instead of winging all the time unzip your game files and start modding the game to your liking then share your experiences with others im sure we would all love to here that instead of public bashing all the time from you.

#1: You aren't a mod, "Captain Crunch."

Therefore, I was not refering to you.

#2: I have opened those files, and combed through them probably more than you.

Therefore, you have no point.

#3: I have the right to express my dissatisfaction with a product, that does not label me a "negative person."

Therefore, again you have no point and also you are flat wrong.

Nahirean
7th Aug 2005, 17:25
"You seem to forget that I'm not affiliated with Eidos so it took some time before I could get in touch. You also seem to forget that I posted a thread post your modding questions here and forwarded it to the producer of the game who would pass it on to the lead programmer. The lead programmer will answer when he's back. If you've been waiting so long for something I'm sure those two extra weeks aren't going to kill you."

Dude, m. Come on man, you know we've been asking for months. You know this wait time and lack of response from the devs has been unacceptable. Why won't you admit it and take our side? Our are requests that unreasonable?

ColMorimer
8th Aug 2005, 01:16
Dude, m. Come on man, you know we've been asking for months. You know this wait time and lack of response from the devs has been unacceptable. Why won't you admit it and take our side? Our are requests that unreasonable?

so you bash and bash the devs say how poor of a game they made, how you won't ever buy from them again. and they are supposed to jump right in and respond to you? why so you can flame them? it does not seem to be a very nice way to go about it all. so yea....it is quite unreasonable

and Oststar I am not sure where you got all the stuff about PC's dying, they will always be there, so you have to upgrade, which the parts get cheaper all the time. really a new PC today costs less than an old dos system from 15 years ago, and is way more powerful, and yea gameing goes up and down, and it has been "dying" off and on since the first nintendo came out in the late 80's

And to everyone: lets all try to keep this a little civil, because the rate it is going it could fall fast.

Webrider
8th Aug 2005, 04:49
[mod edit]'twas such a "constructive" post[/mod edit]

Queeg
8th Aug 2005, 06:10
so you bash and bash the devs say how poor of a game they made, how you won't ever buy from them again. and they are supposed to jump right in and respond to you? why so you can flame them? it does not seem to be a very nice way to go about it all. so yea....it is quite unreasonable

They haven't "jumped right in" and responded to anything - positive or negative. To hurt their feelings, they would actually have to read some of this stuff. I've seen nothing to indicate they care one way or the other what we say here.

monkeytart
8th Aug 2005, 06:29
chill ppl! personally i also dont like the way pyro reacts towards us. but everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. and everyone seems to be getting on their nerve. so i think it would be best to just stop it. those who dont like the game can the leave. and those who like it can stay.

Captain.Crunch
8th Aug 2005, 07:33
"You seem to forget that I'm not affiliated with Eidos so it took some time before I could get in touch. You also seem to forget that I posted a thread post your modding questions here and forwarded it to the producer of the game who would pass it on to the lead programmer. The lead programmer will answer when he's back. If you've been waiting so long for something I'm sure those two extra weeks aren't going to kill you."

Please do not call me a dude call your hand a dude I am SIR to you thanks.

You are a negative person you are rather rude and have no respect for the people who created this game. I say go away and find another game already because im tired of reading your tripe. I mean how can you just whinge constantly you have the patience of a monk. You certainly wont get any help while you bash the developers why would they waste there time…… there on holidays BTW and so they should be life is short there enjoying it. HELL im going to join them…

Hengist_Sharpe
8th Aug 2005, 10:27

You are a negative person you are rather rude and have no respect for the people who created this game. I say go away and find another game already because im tired of reading your tripe. I mean how can you just whinge constantly you have the patience of a monk. You certainly wont get any help while you bash the developers why would they waste there time…… there on holidays BTW and so they should be life is short there enjoying it. HELL im going to join them…
Err, he wasn't refering to you???
His post was clearly aimed at @m.
Your reply is uncalled for and slightly rude. You say his opinion is tripe, you say that he whinges. No need for that.
Mods, can you haver a word with this character please?

Let's keep this thread on topic, civil and without personal slurs.

Oststar
8th Aug 2005, 13:15
and Oststar I am not sure where you got all the stuff about PC's dying, they will always be there, so you have to upgrade, which the parts get cheaper all the time. really a new PC today costs less than an old dos system from 15 years ago, and is way more powerful, and yea gameing goes up and down, and it has been "dying" off and on since the first nintendo came out in the late 80's

Scuse me but old DOS machines in the 80's cost a lot, yes, but then the industry wasn't geared towards gamers then. The reason there is a prediction of collapse is because now the biggest reason for the advances in computer hardware is games. Since players are increasingly dissatisfied (That's not personal opinion, it's quite obvious that gamers are increasingly displeased), they aren't buying games. Couple that with the fact that technology is costing more and more ($500 for a PCIe 6800) and the picture is that the gamers will slow their buying. Even if this doesn't happen, many companies are going belly up because of the pressures in the industry. So far only Ubisoft has turned down EA. Pyro and Eidos are not going to survive the next few years.

Oststar
8th Aug 2005, 13:20

Not only was he not referring to you, you have no right to order him to call you Sir. You've done nothing to deserve the title that I have seen.

You are a negative person you are rather rude and have no respect for the people who created this game.

You're an arrogant person who has too much respect for himself. I've got no respect for people who break promises and ignore their clients.

I say go away and find another game already because im tired of reading your tripe.

No one's holding you by the neck and forcing you to read his posts; you can either suffer or leave, your choice.

I mean how can you just whinge constantly you have the patience of a monk. You certainly wont get any help while you bash the developers why would they waste there time…… there on holidays BTW and so they should be life is short there enjoying it. HELL im going to join them…

The developers should have helped us when the game was released; we've got a right to critise their poor behavior.

They're (Learn to spell and then i'll consider calling you "Sir") on holidays, which they didn't earn: hard work 'earns' a holiday, sitting in comfortable offices and not producing what they promised isn't hard work. Bugger them, get back here and answer our questions.

Xenophon
8th Aug 2005, 14:00
[mod edit]

Please stop posting if you have nothing worthwile to contribute

Thanks

[/mod edit]

ArmoredCav
8th Aug 2005, 15:09
Game companies that don't listen and adapt to what players want usually don't last long...

I like IG. It's a good game. I've gotten to the point where I know exactly what I'm looking for in a game, and even if the reviews don't necessarily like it (and most gave IG at best average reviews) I know I might still like it, and IG is one of those.

But to completely ignore many very good suggestions when you explicitly asked for them is kind of stupid, and not very good business. If they were concerned more with typos and technical bugs, which it appears they were, they should have never asked for suggestions.

Hopefully we'll hear soon that the developers have repented and are working on 1.2. Unless that happens, I'll continue to give up on the singleplayer and just compete in the Gamespy ladder (anyone wanna challenge the Iron Duke?)

It's too bad, because this game is a decent patch away from being great. . .

Matt

Queeg
8th Aug 2005, 15:31
Matt:

My thoughts exactly.

Pyro has no legal obligation to do anything. It appears they think the game is fine as is, is working more or less as intended, and doesn't warrant further effort. That's their right.

But that disinterest, coupled with Pyro's unwillingness to show its face here, means that any sense of community that IG might otherwise have fostered is now effectively dead. This forum is already disintegrating into the bickering mess that results when there's nothing left to discuss about the game - no mods, no news, no sense of shared interest.

Sad.

efthimios
8th Aug 2005, 16:07
Actualy the graphics cards though stupidly expensive now days do keep the price of high end PCs at the same levels, if not less, than in the 80s.

Are players increasingly dissatisfied with games? When were gamers not? If you were a computer gamer since the 80s you would know that the only thing that has changed is how much more easy it is today with the WWW and emails to make that dissatisfaction visual to the rest. Plus games today are much much better than in the 80s, and not just about the graphics, which are important.

The computer keeps dying indeed since not just Nintendo but from the Atari days. Still, either in the form of Home computers, (Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari, Amiga, Commodore, etc) or PCs it keeps on going. One of the reasons is the amount of PCs out there. PS2, XBOX, GC, etc, are nothing compared to the amount of PCs in the world. Anyway.

Mike_B
8th Aug 2005, 16:18
Dude, m. Come on man, you know we've been asking for months. You know this wait time and lack of response from the devs has been unacceptable.

I don't recall disagreeing with that particular statement if I did however then that was because I believed at that time someone from Pyro would jump in to the forums. I must say I expected one of the Pyro guys show up, which was the case with Praetorians.

Why won't you admit it and take our side? Our are requests that unreasonable?

Look above, I'm not the enemy you may think I am. I am on your side and doing what I can to help out.

Believe me if Pyro would answer those mod questions and maybe say something about a second patch this would be a much nicer place to visit which means less work for me ;)

Might wanna read this as well:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=507360&postcount=19

To everyone else,

While I understand the reasening behind the topic somehow, if you want to continue this thread then keep this thread civilised and keep the following in mind:

Yes you can post your reasons why you may or may not buy a game from Pyro but you cannot use this thread as an excuse to attack the developer/publisher or someone who disagrees with you.

Nahirean
8th Aug 2005, 17:30

Hahaha! Guy, you need to learn how to *READ*. I am not even talking to you. You are not important to my goals at all. I wouldn't call your Sir if you had a gun to my head. "Boy" is more appropriate.

ArmoredCav
8th Aug 2005, 20:59
Speaking of video cards... this is waay off IG topic, but still, it's been eating at me.

I'm a college student, so I only play on a laptop. I have a pretty damn good laptop - runs my two favorite games, Enigma Rising Tide and Battlefield Vietnam (online) with little trouble. Same with IG.

But Battlefield 2, which I desperately want, will not come close to working on my machine. It's just ridiculous what the game needs to run.

So, my question is, is there any truth to the rumor that EA teamed up with some PC companies to make BF2 such a resource hog that you'd need to buy a new computer (or at least massively upgrade) to play it?

I've heard several people advance this. . .

Nahirean
8th Aug 2005, 21:12
Speaking of video cards... this is waay off IG topic, but still, it's been eating at me.

I'm a college student, so I only play on a laptop. I have a pretty damn good laptop - runs my two favorite games, Enigma Rising Tide and Battlefield Vietnam (online) with little trouble. Same with IG.

But Battlefield 2, which I desperately want, will not come close to working on my machine. It's just ridiculous what the game needs to run.

So, my question is, is there any truth to the rumor that EA teamed up with some PC companies to make BF2 such a resource hog that you'd need to buy a new computer (or at least massively upgrade) to play it?

I've heard several people advance this. . .

That's always true. Games push hardware -> People buy new hardware.

Webrider
9th Aug 2005, 02:46
Thank you so much for editing out my comments .. my positive constructive posts could have been found on the patch suggestion thread and many other threads where conversation about the possibilities were encouraged.... this is a WTF are you thinking taking 4 months to release this patch with the only viable improvement is the speed slider. Go figure. So Sorry if I think this forum was a total wast of time hoping for improvements from the patch suggestion thread started by Eidos. You have the formula for a great game from that thread. SO CAN your snot and ban me or do something constructive like read the history of this forum maybe? Then tell us the truth in a timely manner about patch status and expected fixes... like these fixes were top secret... top secret to keep sales from stalling thats for sure.

Oststar
9th Aug 2005, 06:52
ATM;

I know you've done a bit for the IG modding community, I was rude to you, i'm very sorry.

Also to the person who asked about BF2(Sorry; I forget your name); DICE makes very clunky games with high cost in hardware usage, they never have aimed for fluid games with low requirements so BF2 is a hulking monster. I believe that the same game could be produced for much smaller reqs and exactly the same. DICE's biggest issues is their attitude: having modded BF42 I saw massive blobs of useless REM text and for modellers I hear (as well as seening in game) that useless peices are left on models, making an even clunky and larger game. Given EA's nature it is highly probable that they did agree to a deal with hardware manufacturers that BF2 would be very intensive, though it wouldn't make a difference because it would be a clunky and costly game anyway.

Also to (Again I forget your name) the one replying to my mention of industry collapse: Graphics cards and CPUs are about $500 for just less than latest model parts. That's $1000 for a Card and CPU, the motherboard could be $400, HD $200, Soundcard $300, case $150, RAM $200, all up cost is $2000+ for not even a top range machine. The industry is still stong but it is (Supposedly, again this is from other resources... that I don't have links to, so it's all heresay without that I suppose) going to collapse because people will refuse to pay for the upgrades; a lot of BF clans lost members because they refused to update.

efthimios
9th Aug 2005, 07:35
Where the fudge do you buy your hardware from mate? 300 for a soundcard? 400 for a motherboard? I have a nice mouse to sell you, just 250.

Regardless of the prices, you (as a customer) do not have to buy the latest card to run or enjoy games, do you? You do not have to run the game at 1600x1200 with all details at full. 1024x726 is good too...
For the prices to fall even more, people must stop be willing to pay very high prices. If people are willing to pay then why would the companies reduce even more the prices?

Oh, and Captain Crunch, while I agree with most of what you say for some reason, stop acting like a ****. If someone bashing the game looks bad, you look even worse with stupid comments like calling you Sir. The guy called you dude, not *******. We are all gamers here, please relax a bit.

K1ler
10th Aug 2005, 12:22
NEVE EVER. The Commandos 3 with its "beautiful", "detailed" 800x600 graphics should warn me before buying IG. Well it did not and I have another "game" to put back to box and somewhere down to the drawer.

At least until some MOD or a real patch is made.

efthimios
10th Aug 2005, 12:40
I have never liked commandos 1. Got the sequel because I found it very cheap but I have yet to install it. Would you like to give away the third for free? :)

K1ler
10th Aug 2005, 13:01
Hello,

Commandos 2 were GREAT game. Played three times. Even today it is great. But the third part wasn't. I gave it away for free a long time ago, sorry :)

A n e X i o N
10th Aug 2005, 17:31
Pyro is a great developer and the commandos series and games like praetorians and Imperial glory proves this.

The Imperial Glory is a great game and i´m sure that all that critics have passed a long time playing. IG have some aspects that are good enough but wich game don´t have it.

Any game is perfect, and i hope that the Pyro developers will launch a patch correcting the great errors like morale, make all the countries playable, and quit the pathetic political annexion, because in that times the concept of nationality and nation existed and is not a change of lord like in the medieval age. For example: Spain can´t be annexed by anyone because of his culture and his people, and the spanish independe war from the french started because it´s people get revolted, not the politics, and the guerrillas were civilians. And this example can be for all the countries. another thing is that they can be great allies.

You can´t critic pyro and eidos only for aspects of one game that u don´t like.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

ruftops
10th Aug 2005, 22:24
Pyro is a great developer and the commandos series and games like praetorians and Imperial glory proves this.

The Imperial Glory is a great game and i´m sure that all that critics have passed a long time playing. IG have some aspects that are good enough but wich game don´t have it.

Any game is perfect, and i hope that the Pyro developers will launch a patch correcting the great errors like morale, make all the countries playable, and quit the pathetic political annexion, because in that times the concept of nationality and nation existed and is not a change of lord like in the medieval age. For example: Spain can´t be annexed by anyone because of his culture and his people, and the spanish independe war from the french started because it´s people get revolted, not the politics, and the guerrillas were civilians. And this example can be for all the countries. another thing is that they can be great allies.

You can´t critic pyro and eidos only for aspects of one game that u don´t like.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

We can criticise Pyro, I payed for the game, and if it isn't up to the standard then i can post my opinion of Pyro. Especially if Pyro can't be bothered to make an appearance on these forums. I would like nothing better than Pyro to prove me wrong of my opinion of them, then at least we could get a really decent game out of them maybe! ;)

Sotos
11th Aug 2005, 18:46
I am dissapointed too

I was expecting at least that the BATTLE AI (both Naval and Ground) to be improved with these patch :confused:

Except the addition of Time -Stop and Fast forward- these patch has nothing significant else to offer :(

evilbanner
16th Aug 2005, 08:59
Yeah man looking @ IG I indeed will never purchase anything again
anyway:

everybody is saying that Nahirean has to stfu and has no right to talk that way against the makers bla bla.

I think this is totally bs, I think Nahirean is a typical gamer who bought a game which he hoped would be a very nice game indeed but which turns out to be mostly crap. There is no difference between attacking and defending just stand somewhere and the AI will come rushing to you WHOHOW bless AI.

Hell, I'd say choose Nahirean 's side

Go Nahirean

Captain.Crunch
16th Aug 2005, 11:17
Yeah man looking @ IG I indeed will never purchase anything again
anyway:

everybody is saying that Nahirean has to stfu and has no right to talk that way against the makers bla bla.

I think this is totally bs, I think Nahirean is a typical gamer who bought a game which he hoped would be a very nice game indeed but which turns out to be mostly crap. There is no difference between attacking and defending just stand somewhere and the AI will come rushing to you WHOHOW bless AI.

Hell, I'd say choose Nahirean 's side

Go Nahirean

puff puff pass pass

Wiltshire Tony
16th Aug 2005, 11:32
puff puff pass pass

What does that mean?

Hengist_Sharpe
16th Aug 2005, 11:33
Lets try to stay on topic?

Let's leave the personal slurs out of here. If Pyro or Eidos were to take notice of this thread (a longshot I know), there's more chance they will listen if it's not contaminated with abuse.

Lt. Kyuzo
16th Aug 2005, 15:46
I will only buy another pyro game if they actually put the things they promised into the game before it is released. No Morale in a modern RTS just does'nt work sorry

Mau
18th Aug 2005, 20:39
Preatorians and commandos are very good games, it belongs to Pyro estudios you know?

IG, well yes the main ideia is excelent, but the result itself, well...
I´m just going to comment one bug.(yes the are more bugs).

What really missing in the game?
- Is it the concept behing the many mechanish of the game?
- Or is it the lack of transformation of a good concept into a mechanism?

Personally i think the problem is related more to the second question, but don´t forget to take a look on some concepts.

What made me unistall the game and sell my IG CD to another person, was the fact that with a P4 2.4, 512Mb, Gforce 4 MX , had o wait for the big loadings parts between the battles and the "turn" process.
(Only Doom3 takes so long to get a loading in my PC)

I really hate that part...most of the times, i just let the computer play for it self and decided the fate of the battle, because i didn´t wanna wait for the loading process.The ritm on the game is totally lost!

Then if i had to fight 2 ou 3 battles in 1 turn, between the loading battles the game crashes,black screen, so i had to do all the battles from the begining.
C´mon...

What make a strategic game like this to have this kind of techical issues? it because of the little movies before the battle? even the exit game is slow!!

Well, folks, a campaing in this kind of game is supposed to take weeks to play, but with this kind of "anoying-make the game better for graphical- image-to show you have nice skills to make graphical stuff", no way!

For me a patch is waste of time.A IG II proprely reviewed, oh men, best game of the year!

Graphical details, better than this? why? is that really the importance in this game?

Mau
Portugal

Hengist_Sharpe
27th Aug 2005, 11:28
Why hasn't this post been moved to the General Discussion forum?

Angelus888
27th Aug 2005, 18:15
Wouldn't buy from this company again. If the Total War series decided to try their hand at Napoleonic Total War or something, I'd snap that up in an instant. The whole charging into combat and no morale is just not on.