PDA

View Full Version : The Patch...

Gelatinous Cube
2nd Aug 2005, 18:06
Hey, uh.. no offense but.. what's wrong with you people? That's all you fixed?

What about the choppyness on the campaign map that makes it near unplayable later on?

What about the fact that it slows down to the point of unplayability when you hit End Turn, towards the end game?

What about the sheer unmanageability of the Naval Battles?

*Holy Cow*, I hope you're already cracking on 1.2.

Broadside
2nd Aug 2005, 18:37
:mad: I have to say I am completely and utterly underwhelmed by the patch details which have been posted so far. Except for the speed on a slider option there is nothing in there which addresses any of the other major concerns with this game. If that really is all there is to the patch this game is off the drive and onto Ebay. What an utter shambles - I get the impression they have listened to no-one on the forums, that or their code is so hard wired they cannot change anything significant after initial release.

jaywalker2309
2nd Aug 2005, 18:46
Eidos QA and myself scoured the forums and fw'd all details to Pyro. We did our best to recreate the issues you'd raised so we could give more details for helping a fix.

As for what was actually fixed, this was totally in the hands of Pyro and the team they had left on the project. Pyro is not owned by Eidos so controls its own IP.

Give the patch a go - its live now on Gameshadow (direct link to follow shortly)

miserable09
2nd Aug 2005, 19:03
What the hell, fixing the timer on the battle of Salamanca seems a lot less important than unplayable naval battles and not being able to get your troops to hold formation...

Looks like it's time to go shopping, I gave this one more than it's due...

-m

ricbar89
2nd Aug 2005, 19:15
Sent this to Pryo..

Subject: Imperial glory.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=50723

People want changes with the imperial glory game, not just fixes. Listen to what the people want and do I, hear is a list of some wanted changes (ideas)

i) Unit morale has been increased to allow the routing of troops.
ii) All unit damage stats have been adjusted. e.g. Militia will still charge with their sticks, but the majority will be wiped out by musket fire before they reach your infantry lines.
iii) Unit sizes have been increased.
iv) Save function between tactical battles implemented.
v) Artillery range has been extended to twice the present.
vi) Musket and rifle ranges have been increased.
vii) Formation control of units has been improved.
viii) Ship battles are no longer constrained within a small battle area, allowing the whole use of the map.
ix) Unit behaviour modified (i.e. they will no longer charge the enemy as often).
x) Speed control implemented.

These are the changes people want; we don’t expect them all (unit sizes for example) but please listen…

Might help...

jaywalker2309
2nd Aug 2005, 19:17
Cool..

They are on hol for a fortnight (annual spanish thing)

Eruan
2nd Aug 2005, 19:21
Ya, and a lot of posters wanted to see flag bearers, musicians, and trumpets sound effects for charges added to the voices :( I guess that would be an expansion pack then :o Thanks anyway ;)

Elkin
2nd Aug 2005, 19:30
Ya, and a lot of posters wanted to see flag bearers, musicians, and trumpets sound effects for charges added to the voices :( I guess that would be an expansion pack then :o Thanks anyway ;)

Youre probably right expect a major overhaul in either an expansion or a followup....

At least theyve given us the ability to speed up and slow down stuff, we should be thankful for that at least (might be able to use more tic-tacs now :) )

Sharpe
2nd Aug 2005, 19:35
Just played with the updated patch, and It "seems" they may have altered some unit stats. Normally milita wipes out my riflemen, but this time not one single militia man made it, they were all wiped out my rifle fire! This is unusual.

Mister Nock
2nd Aug 2005, 19:57
The issues listed make the patch seem pittiful, IG needs a lot of fixing and they don't seem to have addressed even ONE of the big issues, (I was perfectly happy with the fixed game speed, made it more realistic.) If this is all they have to show for themselves the guys at Pryo deserve a fast flogging.

Anyway, I'll give it a go, maybe there are things fixed that were'nt listed so I'll withhold my judgement until I've played it for a bit.

Mister Nock
2nd Aug 2005, 20:04
I know some people were worried about the effect the patch would have on mods.

Well, for your information I can safely say that the patch does not effect any texture mods you may have installed. ;)

Queeg
2nd Aug 2005, 21:45
Cool..

They are on hol for a fortnight (annual spanish thing)

I assume that means it will be another fortnight, at least, before we get an answer to the age-old question: How can we mod the unit stats?

Queeg
2nd Aug 2005, 22:19
I feared, based on the deafening silence from Pyro around here, that the patch would be underwhelming. But I must say I wasn't prepared for such a stunningly epic underachievement. The speed slider is nice. The rest is just cosmetic.

And what is especially frustrating is that so much of what folks want most could be handled through mods. But that requires Pyro to cough up some details about the unit stats file. Which, in turn, means that someone at Pyro actually has to find a computer with an internet connection (the public library?) and post here. Apparently, that's beyond their capabilities.

Perhaps there are commercial or legal issues at stake here. I know they just licensed a Mac version of IG, the negotiations of which may have limited their ability to share details about the code. Perhaps.

Problem now is that the interest in the PC game has already peaked and started to subside. And Pyro has done absolutely nothing to sustain it. The modders who were ready and willing - and excited - a month ago are moving on.

Perhaps the Mac version or a PC expansion will revive interest. But IG looks effectively DOA to me at this point. Sad. Like so many other games that have come and gone, it coulda been a contender. If only someone, somewhere had cared.

Psychonaut
2nd Aug 2005, 23:28
jaycw2309 , Thanks for your help. I am really happy with the ability to slow the game down, with this added the pause/command is no longer necessary. As that was my biggest gripe with the game I can sit back and enjoy the game. You might want to change the faq to reflect this, as the lack of a pause command would have been a no buy for me( I had bought it anyway not knowing). Again Thanks.

Gelatinous Cube
3rd Aug 2005, 00:49
I hope the devs get it together and fix some of the real issues with this game in 1.2. I'm beginning to wonder whether giving this game a chance was worth the $40.

zizzenet
3rd Aug 2005, 07:47
Queeg wrote this: "The speed slider is nice. The rest is just cosmetic."
So, in my opinion, this is not only a cosmetic:

http://www.ecforum.hu/kornel/ig/PrussianWharf2_info_800x600.JPG

(I can't use this wharf during the whole game.)

This is an old screenshot from the pre-patch time, but the situation did not change after the patch. This is a bug. A simply, crystal-clear BUG.
(And this must be an alarm for a conscientious developer. But Pyro did not recognised it.)

Mike_B
3rd Aug 2005, 09:46
I assume that means it will be another fortnight, at least, before we get an answer to the age-old question: How can we mod the unit stats?

Like I posted in the thread "post your modding questions here" the lead programmer was on vacation so you'll have to wait untill he's back to answer the questions.

Eruan
3rd Aug 2005, 19:12

This is an old screenshot from the pre-patch time, but the situation did not change after the patch. This is a bug. A simply, crystal-clear BUG.
(And this must be an alarm for a conscientious developer. But Pyro did not recognised it.)

HAHAHAHA :D this is good :thumbsup: I never had that problem before, but this is clearly a blue (French) and not Purple (Prussian) color :eek:

vanian
3rd Aug 2005, 21:17
Where is the Speed slider located? I can't see it anywhere.

moetman
3rd Aug 2005, 21:24
I unzipped the patch but the game still says version 1.0 and I can't find the speed slider also . although I think the time limit has gone

moetman
3rd Aug 2005, 21:38
No I was wrong , Ctrl +/- has no effect ! and I'm using the keypad.
I've lost my patience with these people .. I've tried to be polite but I've just had it.

I will make it my duty to put as many people off Pyro games as possible. I feel ripped off.

vanian
3rd Aug 2005, 22:02
Works for me now.

sick
3rd Aug 2005, 22:02
I unzipped the patch but the game still says version 1.0

Are you also wrong about that?

Queeg
3rd Aug 2005, 23:12
The patch didn't unzip for me either. I had to unpack the data file and load the files individually.

Captain.Crunch
3rd Aug 2005, 23:43
I’m pleased with the patch good work. :thumbsup:

monkeytart
4th Aug 2005, 02:12
I know some people were worried about the effect the patch would have on mods.

Well, for your information I can safely say that the patch does not effect any texture mods you may have installed. ;)
thats relieving news............thnx!

hehe.......perhaps you still remembred my post........

monkeytart
4th Aug 2005, 02:16
like my posts wayyyyyyyyyy earlier before........the patch seems to be a bit dissapointing........... :(

PrinceMyshkin
4th Aug 2005, 02:57

looks like the annex "feature", it's not the SAME color blue! did you lose it and have to reconquer it?? have had a similar problem with the 2 NE spanish provinces. re-conquered them after i annexed spain as Britain. got peace with France, they NEVER reverted to my control!! :mad: :mad:

played out 11 or 12 more years and they never assimilated! :eek:

monkeytart
4th Aug 2005, 03:06
Why Doesnt The Speed Slider Work!!!!!!!!!!! I Tried Ctrl And +, Ctrl And -, But None Of Them Work!!!!!!!!!!!

monkeytart
4th Aug 2005, 03:08
im not sure if this is how the patch is installed, but this is wierd............all i have to do, is click on the patch icon after i unzipped it, and it shows a message "patch v1.1 is installed"! i dont even have to do anything, just click on the icon and its done!? im not even sure if thats how its installed............... :o

Gelatinous Cube
4th Aug 2005, 03:50
Shows how much the patch fixed, eh? :rolleyes:

Captain.Crunch
5th Aug 2005, 01:47
Shows how much the patch fixed, eh? :rolleyes:

looking foward to seeing your patch cube........

theenglishdude
5th Aug 2005, 11:12
meh dont mind cube he's just hung up over IG not being all it was cracked up to be hell a couple of days ago i was REALLY hung up over not being able to play(not right specs :( )

p.s Gelly likes to complain ;) :thumbsup:

Gelatinous Cube
5th Aug 2005, 20:02
Hey, if you'll look back a couple of months, I was defending this game from the hordes of RTW Fanboys. I spent $40 on what I thought would be a good, well-supported strategy game. Right now I'm feeling a bit like it was wasted money and wasted effort.

theenglishdude
5th Aug 2005, 21:05
sry gelly guess you do have a point im getting frustrated with the lazy-edit- st pyro :mad: do you think eidos have even said anything to them?That they understand kos pyro are spannish and eidos are english(I think) about support for the game :confused:

Im sure pyro cant be all that bad :eek:

Queeg
5th Aug 2005, 22:18
Hey, if you'll look back a couple of months, I was defending this game from the hordes of RTW Fanboys. I spent $40 on what I thought would be a good, well-supported strategy game. Right now I'm feeling a bit like it was wasted money and wasted effort.

I feel sort of silly having spent so much time myself defending the game. It's like being a cheerleader for a team that doesn't even bother to show up for the game.

Captain.Crunch
7th Aug 2005, 04:04
I feel sort of silly having spent so much time myself defending the game. It's like being a cheerleader for a team that doesn't even bother to show up for the game.

Well I back the game 100% always have always will its fantastic. You guys are not getting any support because you have done nothing but bash the game with negativity how about mentioning some of the good points about the game?

I have been getting spectacular support and because of this I have modded my game. Maybe I got support because I say positive things about the game maybe you should try doing the same just a thought ‘grin. :thumbsup:

Captain.Crunch
7th Aug 2005, 04:06
Think about it if you bash the developers do you really think they going to want to help you. That is like me hitting you in the head with the butt of my musket would you then wan’t to help me reload? :p

moetman
7th Aug 2005, 04:49
I have been getting spectacular support and because of this I have modded my game.

What support have you been getting ? Anything about modding the stats ? Stop keeping things to yourself and tell on...

theenglishdude
7th Aug 2005, 11:06
Well im going to reserve judgement on the game till I can play but I must say the level of support from the mods has been excellent!they even found a driver compatible with my card to download :eek: only half a month then I can play :thumbsup: im sure i wont bash the game but im not sure how long it'll stay on my comp either :(

efthimios
7th Aug 2005, 12:06
Are the majority of the people complaining, complaining because Pyro is not making it easy to mod the game and/or because the game is not as detailed as they would like?

Queeg
8th Aug 2005, 05:57
I have been getting spectacular support and because of this I have modded my game. Maybe I got support because I say positive things about the game maybe you should try doing the same just a thought ‘grin.

Care to share your mods? I'd love to give them a try.

As for attitude, I'm willing to bet that no one has stuck up for this game in so many different places as I have. Hasn't got me anything in terms of support. I'm still waiting for a simple answer to a simple question: How can we mod the unit stats?

Perhaps you could use your charm to sweet-talk an answer out them? It would be greatly appreciated.

monkeytart
8th Aug 2005, 06:33
What support have you been getting ? Anything about modding the stats ? Stop keeping things to yourself and tell on...
exactly, ar u hiding anything captain crunch? cause it would hurt to share...........i dont actually hate this game, i just need some help on the files........

ps. your making me suspicious! :D

Captain.Crunch
8th Aug 2005, 07:19
exactly, ar u hiding anything captain crunch? cause it would hurt to share...........i dont actually hate this game, i just need some help on the files........

ps. your making me suspicious! :D

I am not hiding anything... this is the first time I have been asked by anyone for some help. Yes would gladly help however to type on here would be a bit lengthy if you have MSN messenger PM me your msn and I will add you to my buddy list & we can talk live. I can understand basic Spanish and I use a translator to help me with the words I do not understand. To be honest I love to fiddle and hack at game files and not all games it can be done as easy as IG there is so much you can edit just in notepad. I have tried to edit games before and there usualy locked IG isnt.

Like I said before no point screaming at developers here that are on holiday. We are all better off working together and modding the game we will get further. I would like to get you all on my msn and we can have a group chat that includes you also officerpuppy. I am not going to disclose my msn publicly so it is up to you to PM me your msn and I will add you to my list. If you also have some modding skills you would be helpful the more heads the better. I love this game and i honestly think its sad when people just want to bring out negative comments all the time yet no one wants to help in fixing things. Also check out this website some mods are already available for download. http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/commandos/scripts/pafiledb/pafiledb.php

Captain.Crunch
8th Aug 2005, 07:22
Care to share your mods? I'd love to give them a try.

As for attitude, I'm willing to bet that no one has stuck up for this game in so many different places as I have. Hasn't got me anything in terms of support. I'm still waiting for a simple answer to a simple question: How can we mod the unit stats?

Perhaps you could use your charm to sweet-talk an answer out them? It would be greatly appreciated.

I will have a look for unit stats and let you know if I find anything. It is there just like everything else is you can mod it’s just a challenge to find it in Spanish. Just a process of elimination. :D Have you worked out how to unzip the main folder so you can mod the game?

Queeg
8th Aug 2005, 15:40
I will have a look for unit stats and let you know if I find anything. It is there just like everything else is you can mod it’s just a challenge to find it in Spanish. Just a process of elimination. :D Have you worked out how to unzip the main folder so you can mod the game?

Yes, I've unzipped the data.pak file and tinkering with a few things. The language barrier is a big impediment. The unit stats appear to be in the .dt file, but no one has yet figured out how to open it. And Pyro isn't talking.

Seriously, if you've become big buddies with the developer, I sure would appreciate it if you would "pop the question" during one of your candle-lit dinners.

moetman
8th Aug 2005, 21:16
Are you going to share Whatever you come up with ? Why don't you talk here instead of MSN so all of us can have some input ? - We all want to help out.

CrossWire
26th Aug 2005, 08:16
Oh, no, I was expecting so much more, what a disappointment. :(