PDA

View Full Version : They need to make more Playable Countries

GossamerSolid
24th Jul 2005, 17:48
I think at least in instant action you should be able to choose from more than 5 countries.

ColMorimer
24th Jul 2005, 18:48
I agree, I can see why eqypt or ottoman empire are not playable as well as some other small ones, they were not involved in napoleonic war, but I still think the ottoman empire would be a nice choice to add. I also have no clue why spain is not playable, that was one of the first nations napoleon invaded...unsuccessfully due to spanish citizens revolting. and I am not sure exactally when it was but somewhere around the early to mid 1800's the french controlled mexico, which was spanish before (this was before Texas became free from mexico, and texas was a state of the US some time later....and before the civil war). spain, portugal, france and england were in contol of lots of colonies in the new world as well as africa. so all where major world powers yet the game hardly reflects that. Infact the war of 1812 was started by the americans and won by them, partly because the british were busy with napoleon.

but if you made france, spain, england and portugal more powerful due to the colonies you do not see, and all playable it would add much more depth. I would also like to see more friends, unless you liberate a nation from your enemies the 4 other powers hate you...and each other, when historically they were all quiet friendly all united against france

monkeytart
25th Jul 2005, 09:52
i was just thinking a few days ago, that perhaps they could seperate all the countries into two categories - empires and minor countries. that way, if we want to play any of the minor countries we could. and it's fun when playing minor countries, you can test your surviving skills! ie. how long you can survive before the empires destroy you.

Mister Nock
25th Jul 2005, 10:02
...spain, portugal, france and england were in contol of lots of colonies in the new world...

Indeed, what is Welsley doing in England at the start of the game, he sould be in India! (Also, why is he already the Viscount Wellington before he's even fought a battle? but that's a separate rant. :rolleyes: ) Anyway I think a world map would be a great addition to this game, make it a choice at the begining, Europe or World.

Hmmm... I can't see pyro doing anything like this. I s'pose it's up to the modders, but something like this would be a very big project, and I wouldn't know where to begin. :(

Oh yes. I also agree that more nations should be playable. ;)

Sir Crow
25th Jul 2005, 12:08
More countries would be nice to play. ColMorimer the way you described 'Texas becoming free of Mexico' is very misleading. My friend in the Southern US would have a fit. The US stole Texas off Mexico and thats not my words m8. You mentioned also Napoleon unsuccessfully invaded Spain this also is misleading. At the start France was Aliied to Spain and once they got a foot hold took over the country. It wasn't until Wellington landed that Portugal was freed and then through the Penninsular campaign Spain wa freed also.

5/77 Armd
25th Jul 2005, 12:48
The US didn't steal Texas from Mexico!

They stole parts of California, Arizona and New Mexico from Mexico.

Texas declared independence from Mexico and fought a war with them. They won and were an independant country (Republic of Texas) for about two years before they succumbed to American overtures for annexation. The men fighting for Texas initially didn't want independence from Mexico. They wanted full Mexican citizenship rights among other things.

zeroh
25th Jul 2005, 12:56
Ya it would be nice playing as the minor countries and invading the empires would be very fun :cool:

ColMorimer
25th Jul 2005, 12:59
humm Texas was free, after fighting santa anna in a war for independence, that is when the alamo was fought, then they were annexed by the US later, but for a time texas was a country, though the rest of the south west we "stole" in the spanish amercian war, maybe that is what you mean.

As for spain the people of spain revolted, kind of an insurgency type thing from what I understand.

and why would anyone have a fit? facts are facts, history is not something to get mad over, would be like getting mad because someone said the earth was round.

5/77 Armd
25th Jul 2005, 14:55
I think Sir Crow saying his friend would have a fit, is a figure of speech and not to be taken literally.

As far as the US seizing the southwest, that took place during the Mexican War in the 1830s. The Spanish-American War was fought between the US and Spain from 1898 to 1899. The US came out the winner and siezed the Philippines, Cuba and Puerto Rico. I believe the US unjustly went to war with Spain to deprive her of her few remaining overseas colonies. I will admit though, there is not a whole lot I know about the Spanish-American War.

The alamo battle was very minor and used later in the conflict as a rallying cry. Texas became a republic after routing the Mexican army at the battle of San Jacinto. The battle lasted about 20 minutes.

monkeytart
25th Jul 2005, 15:01
in addition, during the battle of alamo, there were only 200 Americans guarding the town, including David Clark. against 3000 mexican soldiers! of course, the 200 men were killed. and the town was taken. but i think the victories of the mexicans angered the americans, so they lost no more battles after that.

5/77 Armd
25th Jul 2005, 15:20
...but i think the victories of the mexicans angered the americans, so they lost no more battles after that.

The TEXANS, not Americans! Remember, they weren't Americans yet!

Gunfreak
25th Jul 2005, 18:40
they were americans, before they became texans before the became americans agein

the texans were mostly americans and mexicans, that wanted there own republic(simplefied version)

General Huston was a former Tennessee governer,

just as Davy Crockett was a Tennessee Congressman(he died at the alamo)

so its correct to say thay were americans

5/77 Armd
25th Jul 2005, 20:29
I know most of the guys that settled there were from Tennessee (the Volunteer State!) but when they moved to Texas they ceased to be Americans. (I'm nit-picking!)

GossamerSolid
26th Jul 2005, 01:33
Like Look at Rome, you can play as every single country by editing a text file (For Campaign)

5/77 Armd
26th Jul 2005, 12:39
Like Look at Rome, you can play as every single country by editing a text file (For Campaign)

How?!
I hear how people change stuff all the time by editing a file. I have no idea how to do it, I'm afraid of wrecking everything if I do it wrong! I guess I should visit the RTW forum to learn how.

sick
26th Jul 2005, 14:35
I'm afraid of wrecking everything if I do it wrong! .

My backups. ;)

zeroh
26th Jul 2005, 15:26
I dont think you could mod IG like you could rome think most of the IG files are hard coded not sure though

Emperor of the French
27th Jul 2005, 06:50
More countries would be nice to play. ColMorimer the way you described 'Texas becoming free of Mexico' is very misleading. My friend in the Southern US would have a fit. The US stole Texas off Mexico and thats not my words m8. You mentioned also Napoleon unsuccessfully invaded Spain this also is misleading. At the start France was Aliied to Spain and once they got a foot hold took over the country. It wasn't until Wellington landed that Portugal was freed and then through the Penninsular campaign Spain wa freed also.

Ah, my poor fellow, you have no idea what you're talking about. Let me correct the facts.

The Kingdom of Spain was allied to the French Empire through a treaty between them. However, in 1808 (noteably FAR from the beginning of the game, so the initial thread author was woefully incorrect), the vacilliation of King Charles (Carlos) IV in preventing the Portugeuse from defying the Berlin and Milan Decrees (the famous Continental System) led to the French Empire dispatching troops to cross Spain under a RIGHT OF PASSAGE agreement. However, some Spanish mobs attacked French troops, and the king was unable to bring them to justice. Since Charles IV was unable to stop them, he was asked to abdicate and Napoléon I placed capable marshals in command and put his brother Joseph in charge.

Unfortunately, the Spanish weren't too keen on the ideas of the Revolution. They preferred to serve their king and felt that God would punish them if they used the enlightened ideals of the "heathen" French.

Regarding Mexico

I'm afraid the affair with Emperor Maximilian I of México occured during the Second French Empire: which took place after the third French Revolution (1848), which is quite after the end of the game's revolutionary period--1830. Though if we truly want to be specific, this Mexican affair happened in the 1850s and there were no revolutions between 1815 and 1830: it was an era of SEVERE counterrevolution and reaction led by the Holy Alliance, a thoroughly dispicable band of fiends.

reddis
28th Jul 2005, 18:05
Your words are very accurate, Emperor, just a question. Spain was already an "ancient regime" kingdom (so as most of europeans countries were) but most of the people fought against french and the "afrancesados" not because their ideas but becuse they were french.

Enlightment ideas won a short battle in spanish politic history in 1820-1823 (trienio liberal) and although at the end the 100.000 hijos de San Luis came to restore conservative ideas, after Ferdinand VII death the war between isabelinos (liberals) and carlistas (conservative) was won by isabelinos.

XIX Spanish history is full of civil war because of ideas. About Bonaparte brothers the problem were'nt their ideas, it was their nacionality.

regards

Emperor of the French
28th Jul 2005, 20:42
That's certainly true, but it's by no means an absolute thing one way or the other. For instance, the Concordat was a very important element of the French Revolution because the notion of the Church serving the State (and through it, the people) was something that had never been done before. In the ancien regime in France, for instance, the First Estate was composed of clergy--the nobility was of the second order comparatively.

The Spanish were very Catholic at the time, and the notion of a foreign king with a foreign army coming in was hard to swallow by itself. But then they brought in ideas that twisted everything upside down and smacked of blasphemy towards their religion, and the Spanish closed their minds to these ideas until it came time to drive the French out.

I'm certain there would have been a liberalizing movement afterwards: most European countries soon realized what the ideals of the Revolution really meant and fought for their own rights afterwards. :)

A n e X i o N
28th Jul 2005, 21:09
I want to say that it,s a great error that the developers didn´t put Spain playable. In that times Spain was a very big empire and had one of finest fleets, the second one most powerfull.

At the beginnig of the war the first minister of Spain (Godoy) that was a war hero help the french with ships, gold and permission to attack portugal fro the spanish territory.

That permission was the error because and the french armies occupied the entire country. The Spanish people hated the french and they revolted, the army supported that revolt and stated the Spanish indepence war.

Spain change of side and fought against the french.

The 2 greats errors of napoleon were attack russia and invade spain.

So a country so crucial in that times for the napoleons defeat and so powerfull with a big empire and a great fleet must be playable and it cannot be a minor country, must be one of the empires!

Gunfreak
29th Jul 2005, 11:54
i would like to se sweden playeble, it did bring 50 000 men to the allied side, and did fight at Battle of the Nations.

Emperor of the French
3rd Aug 2005, 05:06
Entirely untrue and laden with propaganda. Spain was nothing in the 1800s. She was old, anachronistic, and weak. As for the invasion, I've already chronicled that.

reddis
4th Aug 2005, 05:44
Spain was a weak empire at 1800, that's true, but an empire (had colonies in America, North Africa and Asia, etc). What kind of empire was Prussia? May be it was a very important country which became an empire 50 years later but it wasn't an empire en 1789-1830.

So what is the condition to become an empire in the game (according to developers criteria)?

A n e X i o N
4th Aug 2005, 10:50
Spain was weak but had a great fleet and a very big empire. Spain was politicaly caotic but still being considered a powerful nation.

Prussia had no fleet, no colonies.

The developers chosed Prussia because there are more german players than spanish.

And I´m not Spanish, but the facts are this: Prussia is a playable empire cause there are more german players

theenglishdude
4th Aug 2005, 11:30
Also because prussia was politically important (Seven years war)and backed by britain ;) (we were traditionally always there allies)Although they regarded us as traitors after a certain treaty(cant remember the name)where we secured land and wealth for ourself but not our suffering 'german' friends :o
@Anexion

Would not german players just choose austria instead?
Spain is not playable (from what iv pieced together not actually able to play the games myself)because they could over run portugal too easily and this would leave Britain with no real chance to get onto the mainland with secure territory's. However if span is annexed then they can open up a southern front agianst the french :thumbsup: (a sea invasion could be awquard(sp?)

In regards to the alamo I dont know what americans are taught of that but Davy Crockett did NOT go down fighting.He was one of a group of prisoners executed, HOWEVER i dont mean to put down one of your few heroes but a mexican soldier in his diary stated that crockett did not beg and plead for his life but died a true man :thumbsup:

General Cassard
10th Aug 2005, 23:19
England doesn't need to go through Spain to get onto the mainland. It could go through Norway and Denmark, and then down into Hanover, Saxony, The Helvetian Republic, etc.

Another thing, since it almost always seems to get into Africa first, it could use Tunisia or Egypt or even Morocco as a staging point for an invasion of Italy.

Both scenarios put it between any matter of Austria, Prussia, and France, but c'est la vie(pun intended).

I also agree that Spain and The Ottoman Empire should be playable if Prussia is going to be an empire. Prussia had no colonies, no navy, and wasn't even united. It didn't even really become a nation(Germany) until 1871.

Spain had many colonies and the only fleet that rivaled Britain's. The Ottoman Empire, while not really involved in the revolution, was always going at it with Austria and certainly qualified more as a dominant power than did Prussia.