PDA

View Full Version : If I Were King Pyro....

Queeg
23rd Jul 2005, 19:49
Here's what I'd change in IG:

1. Morale. Don't worry about it. It's probably not worth the effort to recode and too finicky to get right. While perhaps realistic, morale is too easy for the human player to manipulate. Kill the leader, everybody flees. Flank the line, everybody flees. It just makes the battles even more lopsided in favor of the human player. At least that's my experience with the TW games. (I know many, maybe even most, will disagree. But, remember, I'm King Pyro.)

2. Combat Speed. Slow down the kill-rate on the battlefield. Making the battles last a bit longer would allow more tactical response. (I'm not talking about movement speed, which is fine as is.)

3. Fight To The Death Combat. Don't worry about it. Leave it as is. But, after the battle, replenish each side's units by a random amount to abstract the fact that not everyone actually got killed in the battle - some were walking wounded, some ran off, etc. For example, give the victor 30-50% of his losses back (thus an infantry unit that was wiped out would be reset to 18-30 men and one reduced to 30 men on the battlefield would be reset to 39-45 after the battle). For the loser, assuming he has a province to retreat to, he would get 10-30% of his losses replaced (thus a unit that was wiped out would retreat to a friendly province and be reset to 6-18 men).

This change would make conquest more difficult and time-consuming, thus making food supplies a bigger issue. Slowing down the overall pace of conquest would be a good thing.

It also would keep the experienced commanders in the game longer (because they would still be around with their replenished units) thus making advancement more likely than at present - another good thing, in my royal view.

4. Militia. Get rid of them. Make Line Infantry the base unit for everyone. No more melee chaos in the early game.

5. Unique Units. Use the Militia slots to make unique units for each major nation (plus perhaps Spain and the Ottomans). They don't need to be uber-units, just units that have unique stats in some way (faster movement, higher experience, better melee, etc.) Britain already has Congrieve Rockets, which shows up fairly early. I'd make the other unique units available early on, as well.

6. AI Build Preferences. Tweak the AI to build a greater variety and better quality of unit. Removing Militia from the game will help by itself.

7. The French Bayonet Isn't Modeled Properly. Everybody has their own ideas about the unit stats. Artillery should have greater range, less range, more power, less power, longer lunch breaks and a better dental plan. So, don't worry about patching it. Make the unit stats moddable and let the unwashed masses do all the work. (Think like a King!)

Cpt.HooK
23rd Jul 2005, 21:22
Viva le revolution!!

The last four should be easy done with some modding :cool:

All hail the King :thumbsup:

Phillippe
24th Jul 2005, 12:10
Well setting losses to be returned would be interesting to find, maybe something similar to Prisoners and such.

Removing Militia, should be possible, especially by replacing them as well.

Ai Tweak, difficult but again possible.

Workable objectives.

monkeytart
25th Jul 2005, 09:48
Well setting losses to be returned would be interesting to find, maybe something similar to Prisoners and such.

Removing Militia, should be possible, especially by replacing them as well.

Ai Tweak, difficult but again possible.

Workable objectives.
perhaps the militia shouldn't be removed, because there were militias at that time! like the militias during the French revolution! i think just making them weaker would be fine. :)

5/77 Armd
25th Jul 2005, 12:56
The bottom line is what do you enjoy about the game and what do you hate?
Most people hate the melee militia swarms at the beginning of the campaign. Players want a shoot out not mass of writhing bodies in the middle of the screen. Get rid of 'em!
Yeah, countries had militia but these unarmed peasants fought mostly in cities such as Paris (the Bastille). Other countries had armed militias, not good fighters, but armed with muskets.

theenglishdude
4th Aug 2005, 11:39
Dont get rid of 'em just let the comp train the equivalent of line infantry/rifle militia (I know for a fact some nations had militia with rifles)This would make the game harder :D

I think for everyones demands an expansion will HAVE to be made.This game could be AMAZING :thumbsup: screw TW

vanian
4th Aug 2005, 12:30
I've not seen a capture the flag victory option posted here. I thought it might make another interesting way of playing the game rather than the shoot it out to the last man.