PDA

View Full Version : Pulling

La Neige
20th Jul 2005, 16:40
I'm not sure if I am being crazy by actually bringing this up as a viable tactic in a strategy game, but being an mmorpg player, I simply could not resist coming up with something of this sort.

When I am the attacker (which is the usual case), I always choose the place of encounter while the enemy is stationed in whatever village they get at the start. Afterwards, I send a (usually battle-worn) unit of hussars to try and “pull” the enemy. Sometimes I manage to bring a small part of enemy forces to my main army way before the rest. If the hussars get “aggro” from everything at once, I send them away somewhere, and part of the enemy army goes on to chase them around while I end up with facing reduced forces with my army.

Am I the only one using this weird strategy? I know it’s kind of unrealistic, but when you are on a siege, and you know that every rebellion will weaken your army only to cause more consequent uprisings, you can’t help trying to minimise casualties by any means.

Lt. Kyuzo
20th Jul 2005, 17:20
I've been using a tactic that is basicly the same lately as well but i havent been using cavalry as they are worth too much i like to use some light infantry. it seems to work quite well. send the light in about 400 yards in front of my main line to skimish with the enemy and bring them out of there defensive position and into my main line

5/77 Armd
20th Jul 2005, 17:29
I do the exact same thing. I call it "luring" or "baiting." I always use Hussars and I have to be carefull not to let them get too far away from the enemy or they will run back to their village. If I keep them at just the right distance, the screaming militia continue their advance to my waiting line of muskets. Slaughter ensues....

joxer31
20th Jul 2005, 17:40
Am I the only one using this weird strategy? I know it’s kind of unrealistic, . . .

I wouldnt consider it an unrealistic tactic. Cavalry was meant to harass and cut-down the cowards. Now just because we send a group of cavalry against their entire army still doesnt seem all that unrealistic. I consider it an act of bravado on my part.

But I like to send in my carbiners to really stir up the hornet's nest. Drives the militia crazy! :thumbsup:

waylander
20th Jul 2005, 18:20
its classic tactic m8 dont worry about it. A variant was used at the battle of Hastings and even up to the Vietnam war, just to provide some depth

La Neige
20th Jul 2005, 18:21
Now that I think about it more, I guess it is quite realistic. Such missions were one of the purposes of the hussars after all.

Lt. Kyuzo: The price of the chosen unit shouldn't matter, since you are not supposed to get your men killed in this manoeuvre. I use cavalry because it's fast and can easily stay out of enemy's reach, and specifically the hussars because it fits their role.

Lt. Kyuzo
20th Jul 2005, 19:27
True but i just dont like using cavalry much, i prefer to use a skimish tactic to as much extent as the AI will let me.

Sir Harry Flashman
20th Jul 2005, 20:30
I agree Hussars are most suited to this tactic which I also use. You may have to take some fire from enemy artillery if you get too close.

Nial
20th Jul 2005, 21:16
I have also used this tactic extensively. :)

=V3=
24th Jul 2005, 03:44
Forget using Hussars, I just make sure I have a sturdy unit of lancers. This way, if they all get killed, I dont miss them as much as I would Hussars. So, Im using the swiftness of cav. without the regrets of placing a valuable unit in too much danger. It's always good to have a sacrificial unit to "take one for the team."

monkeytart
24th Jul 2005, 07:19
Forget using Hussars, I just make sure I have a sturdy unit of lancers. This way, if they all get killed, I dont miss them as much as I would Hussars. So, Im using the swiftness of cav. without the regrets of placing a valuable unit in too much danger. It's always good to have a sacrificial unit to "take one for the team."
i agree, the weird thing is, lancers ar even stronger than hussars, but they cost less! but that is why i almost never built hussars, its just not worth it! even though hussars have an attack higher than lancers (50 something to 40 something i think) the lancers have an armor of 90! :confused:

=V3=
25th Jul 2005, 04:19
Thanks monkeytart, Im going to have to figure that in battle next time. However, they would still remain to be, what I think is, the best unit for the job. I assume the armor indicator is somewhere in the same area as the attack one? (I think Hussars have 65 attack streangth.)

YOU SEE!? It's little details like that, that are the fine-line between victory and defeat. That is, of course, if this game turns out to be somewhat realistic. ;)

monkeytart
25th Jul 2005, 09:58
Thanks monkeytart, Im going to have to figure that in battle next time. However, they would still remain to be, what I think is, the best unit for the job. I assume the armor indicator is somewhere in the same area as the attack one? (I think Hussars have 65 attack streangth.)

YOU SEE!? It's little details like that, that are the fine-line between victory and defeat. That is, of course, if this game turns out to be somewhat realistic. ;)
yea........