PDA

View Full Version : As if there werent enough...

O_O
20th Jul 2005, 15:57
I have a few issues to address with this game :P
Ill try to avoid the 'standard' issues, EX: Lack of morale, ship combat, uber-militia and so forth.

First off, I note that all the units on every side are basicaly the same. Line Infantry = Musketeer = Fusiller(sp?), with the EXACT same stats.
The thing is, while the names would often be the same, the units themselves SHOULD have differnt stats. Great Britain, as an example, had a very small, but hugely well trained army, thus in the game they should have VERY expensive but very high-stat units. In contrast, Russia had a HUGE army (over 750,000 by the Napoleonic Wars), which mostly consisted of serfs. They were moderatly famous for their courage, but they had little training and the officers sucked. Thus Russia gets tons of cheap infantry with crappy stats, except for their really good infantry, which could go toe-to-toe with the best the Brits could offer and come out on top :P
The same goes with artillery. Prussias artillery has the EXACT same stats as Russian artillery. Russian artillery crews were famous throughout the world...well...Europe, anyway, at the time for being, quite simply, the best. Prussians didnt like Artillery, they liked infantry, simply put, its what they were good at.

That said, Im curios as to why the Russian elite infantry are not simply the Lieb-Guard...I mean, the Izmailovsk guards were nice...but they were the third regiment in the whole organization of the Lifeguards, so why not the Preobrazhensk Guard? Is it the long, hard to say name? So why not simply Lieb-Guard?
Or perhaps the Pavlov Grenadiers, bloody good regiment.

Also, it would be nice to have adjustable unit sizes, but this has most likely been brought up.

Before you ask, yes, I have looked into Napoleonic Russia a bit. I always get mad when people sort of cut Russia out of history books, throwing up names like Wellington, when it was bloody Kutuzov that really beat Napoleon :P

Lastly, a shameless plug.
If your interested in a forum-based roleplay regarding the period that this game is set in, head over to Earth: Imperialism and try it out.
Here:
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Earth_Imperialism/
If this is not allowed, feel free to remove it from the post, mods.

La Neige
20th Jul 2005, 16:23
I always get mad when people sort of cut Russia out of history books, throwing up names like Wellington, when it was bloody Kutuzov that really beat Napoleon
/applaud

I could go on ranting about this matter in every thread about Napoleonic history discussion. I'm glad some people understand after all. :)

Mister Nock
20th Jul 2005, 18:30
You've brought up some interesting points, and I totally agree. Certainly the stats for British riflemen should be much much different from that of their equivilant units. Another detail is line formation; The British had long, double ranked lines, and everyone else have shorter, thicker lines of three ranks.

honestly, we could go on forever. Let's just wait and see what the patch brings, then we can rant about all the things they leave out of that. :rolleyes:

Azharas Knight
21st Jul 2005, 10:06
Yeah, I've been dabling in Prussian history and always get annoyed with the fact that practically all nations are equal in the game. Especially things like taking the same names for multiple countries' units. Like J├Ągers for Russia might be correct but can't they be more inventive and look for an other name.

monkeytart
21st Jul 2005, 10:40
i think the dev team's original plans were to make every empire balanced, thus having all units the same stats. as it turned out, it was in fact a drawback. its ok if each empires units ar different, it is more important that they make the units more realistic.

La Neige
21st Jul 2005, 13:11
Haha! I am almost certain that if the developers were to try and take the nations' unique aspects into account, a greater number of people would be complaining about unbalanced gameplay right now. :)

monkeytart
22nd Jul 2005, 09:30
Haha! I am almost certain that if the developers were to try and take the nations' unique aspects into account, a greater number of people would be complaining about unbalanced gameplay right now. :)
perhaps :D

lol

=V3=
24th Jul 2005, 03:32
Lol, what I want to know is why dont at least a few of the militia have rifles or pistols? I mean, I dont know if it was the same in Europe (maybe, maybe not) but at that point in history, every household, even in the cities, here in America (otherwise known as the colonies) had at least one fire-arm. (We didnt beat our British cousins with pitchforks and pointed sticks.) Just a thought. ;)

5/77 Armd
24th Jul 2005, 16:42
When I think of the militia (I try not to) I think of the rioting peasants of France and Russia. They certainly did not have firearms of any kind, and I cannot see them getting marched out to battle abroad. I think the militia should disappear in this game, I do not like them at all. The only places I can see them in battle would be in Paris and perhaps some Russian battles. It would be nice to have the fusilier as the base unit in this game like someone else said.

Mister Nock
24th Jul 2005, 17:10
...at that point in history, every household, even in the cities, here in America (otherwise known as the colonies) had at least one fire-arm...

And you still do today don't you? What bloody violent people you are. ;)

Seriously though, you are absolutly right, I was modding the Prussian militia units yesterday as in the game they are called Landwehr, and the Landwehr had proper uniforms, and guess want? they also had muskets!

Though, as 5/77 said, the peasants of France and Russian would have been no where near as well armed. It's another example where they have tried to make all nations equal at the expense of historical acuracy.

=V3=
25th Jul 2005, 04:06
Well, I guess the governments figured that if they spent the money on uniforms, they might as well arm them also. But, point well taken about French and Russian peasants not really being armed at all (except the guns the French peasants took off the dead bodies of Guards).

Yes, Mister Nock, we are quite violent people (Any Native American can vouch for that), and damn proud of it too. However, we are many times violent towards each other. So, I have resolved to stand up and make my voice heard so as to spread the word of non-violence with-in our borders. Yes, my people, take not your anger out on your neighbor in the house next door, but take it out on every half-witted foreign nation that so much as looks at us the wrong way! (JK, or am I?) God I love being an American. :D
<The violent world forces our civilization to fight fire with fire.> ;)

monkeytart
25th Jul 2005, 14:08
lol....... :D