PDA

View Full Version : My compliments

Stalwart
20th Jul 2005, 15:25
I have skimmed the messages posted here recently. In my opinion they do not properly convey the truly wonderful strategy and tactics wargame you have developed and produced. In forty years of playing wargames starting with AH's Blitzkrieg and Afrika Korps I have never been more impressed with any wargame (possible exception Hearts of Iron). Keep up the good work. The 3D, music, movement, button interfaces, appearance and map qualities are first rate and set the standard for any future wargame.

A couple of minor suggestions: The resouce counter in the commercial treaty window should have 100 and 1000 increments a la Cossacks because it takes to long to enter large amounts. Also, although I have played the game as every country sucessfully I have yet to have a general promoted to marshal. Suggest some such promotions occur upon conquering a major power or even after conquering a minor power.

If you do expand the game in the future, consider allowing access to maps in military view to make defensive alignments and make fortifications. Also, consider whether the maps can depict snow in winter months only and green grass in summer months across the board. This would introduce the winter quarters mentality of the time (not always adhered to). Finally, if you could double the territories, and double the number of units commanded by colonels, generals and marshals, those of us who have enjoyed Napoleonic miniatures games and Talonsoft's Napoleon in Russia computer wargames would be further impressed.

All in all a great game. Keep up the good work.

Mister Nock
20th Jul 2005, 17:07
Some fair points there. Though I dissagree with you about the music, I've got it turned of now and my troops march to the sound of Bon Jovi. :D

A couple of minor suggestions: The resouce counter in the commercial treaty window should have 100 and 1000 increments a la Cossacks because it takes to long to enter large amounts.

Type it in. ;) That took me a while to work out too, I was scrolling up trying to get into the 1000's then I realised you can just use your keyboard.

TokyoBreakfast
20th Jul 2005, 18:47
I'll have to tag along on the music point. My Empire swings to the happnin' tunes of my randomized library... sometimes it's really convienent. Like when the Final Fantasy victory music comes on when you win a battle. :)

Phillippe
20th Jul 2005, 21:24
Double of territories, would you mean by providing set maps for these as well? I think an expansion to increase the size of countries so that maybe France had more than 5 provinces, and such applied to other countries, especially going into the Middle East would be a useful extra.

Unit and men-wise, they can actually achieve this through a patch, I am sure.

TokyoBreakfast
21st Jul 2005, 14:02
If people would like a Risk-like experience, mabey we could make a map of the whole world? 'Course that would entail making more empires playable...

La Neige
21st Jul 2005, 14:15
If people would like a Risk-like experience, mabey we could make a map of the whole world? 'Course that would entail making more empires playable...
Ahhh, the countless hours I would spend gradually colouring the world in blue... :D

I think it's a great idea. Is it realistically possible for the modders to do? We don't even need many more playable nations - perhaps playing the US would make many people happy, but that's about it. Oh, and there would have to be a way to either construct or quickly transport the troops of an empire to a location. I found that even by the end of the siege of Lisbon (Portugal), more that half of my western front consisted of Spanish troops.

Wiltshire Tony
21st Jul 2005, 15:16
Stalwart

Oh boy now you have got me remembering endless hours playing Avalon Hills WW2 games or were they another company called S&S or similar.
Before the PC as we know it now, on the floor with a preprinted baseboard, and hundreds of stacked squares of preprinted cardboard each representing different units/values/rank etc. With the odd long term battle being curtailed cos me mum needed to hoover the room!

Happy days, thanks for the nostalga trip :rolleyes:

Phillippe
21st Jul 2005, 22:50
A full world map, my god think how long that would take. But also consider how special you'd have to make units from Africa/Asia/S.A and then the number of maps you'd want, rather than the same ones.

[Sometimes a random map generator is rather nice you know...]