PDA

View Full Version : The RESTORE button in the game, does it work?

Thebrit
18th Jul 2005, 23:19
Hi,

i would like to repair my troops whenever they have suffered casualties, but the Restore button is never available to do so? Is it possible to restore your armies casualties? if so i would appreciate someone telling me. I read the manual from the box but couldn't find anything on this. :confused:

Thank you anyone for helping me.

elbasto
18th Jul 2005, 23:59
In order to restore wounded ground troops you need a "Military Hospital" and thus the technology to build it.

You can only build military hospitals in capitals (either your original capital or annexed capitals from minors) and in order to research that ability you need to became an autocracy (the tech is only available in the second era, check the tech tree for extra info).

To restore naval units you need a military port and the tech to build those. If by any chance you capture an enemy ship, this will be sent to your closer military port, were you'll be able to repeare it (and give her a full crew).

Good luck

masteradnin255
19th Jul 2005, 00:00
I think that you have to have autocracy(sp) as your government type and have to have built and reaserched military hospitals first than you can restore your troops.

Soryn Arkayn
24th Jul 2005, 22:59
I suffered with the same frustrating problem until I read through the tech tree guide that came with the game.

I have to say I think it's a really bad idea to force the player to wait for a second Era tech -- especially one that's limited to one type of government -- before they can restore their units to full strength. It makes no sense whatsoever. Military hospitals are for healing soldiers wounded in battle, not replenishing under-strength units to full capacity; that involves training new recruits, not healing the wounded or "reanimating" the dead. In the Napolean Era, a military hospital wouldn't heal wounded soldiers to return to duty, they'd just try to save their lives. Often "healing" involved simply extracting the lead ball from a gunshot wound or amputating a soldier's mutilated limb(s) so they wouldn't die from gangrene. These wounded soldiers would rarely return to combat, because they'd suffer crippling injuries that would make them unable to "soldier on"; typically they were discharged from the military or they'd be transferred to adminstrative or clerical duties.

So I think the game needs to patched so that all you need is a Barracks (or applicable unit training building) to restore your wounded units to full strength, because in reality they'd simply train replacements, not heal the wounded ones. As for the few wounded soldiers that survived the battle, they should be discharged back into the population (just like captured soldiers are), not lost completely.

Queeg
24th Jul 2005, 23:09
It's an abstraction for the ability of autocratic governments to coerce military service.

Soryn Arkayn
24th Jul 2005, 23:53
It's an abstraction for the ability of autocratic governments to coerce military service.

It still doesn't make sense. The "coercion" you're referring to implies conscription, but that doesn't have anything to do with Military Hospitals and replenishing under-strength units. Conscription would relate to training units; for less money, resources, etc., and would produce inferior quality soldiers. But it doesn't apply to restoring units to full strength; that should be a universal ability -- it makes no sense that it should require a Military Hospital or be limited to only an autocratic gov't. It should be as simple as in the Total War games where you just retrain the under-strength unit at any city with the requisite training buildings. Perhaps in Imperial Glory it would be further limited to the country that unit was trained (so a unit bearing the Batavia flag could only be restored in Batavia); I suppose that would be appropriate, although I can foresee a problem in the late-game when you're attacking counties on the other side of the map so you can't return them to their countries of origin to replenish them; it would be maddening to be stuck with dozens of under-strength units from different countries that would can't restore or combine, especially if you had to fight a battle with them.

Suffice to say, this is a pointlessly frustrating gameplay problem that requires a simple solution; just let us restore understrength units the same way we do with damaged ships: drop them in a Military Academy and click restore.

Queeg
25th Jul 2005, 03:18
It's an abstraction. Like all abstractions, it cuts some corners.

Don't get hung up on the name. It's just a way of of differentiating between the government types. Democratic governments get big economic and diplomatic bonuses (so they can build more troops or better avoid war altogether). To offset that, autocratic governments get the ability to restore their armies more easily.