PDA

View Full Version : Question about controlling battalions

La Neige
18th Jul 2005, 21:31
It would be very helpful to hear how people deal with the eagerness of their formations to charge on their own.

Whenever I approach the enemy and line up my forces in a very nice and neat way, the enemy militia bursts into charge, and my own battalions go, "Rarrrr!" and break formation to charge the approaching militia in their turn instead of firing their rifles at the enemy. Even the voltigeurs do that, even though they aren't even supposed to fight in mêlée! And then they get so excited with the battle that I can't even pull them off :( Is there a way to keep my soldiers from charging in the first place?

Vorster
19th Jul 2005, 05:59
Do you use the agressive formation button. If you do don't. If you don't put your better melee troops in the front of the formation and they will take care of the militia.

PrinceMyshkin
19th Jul 2005, 09:25
uh....there are formation buttons????? :eek:

where????? :confused:

Vorster
19th Jul 2005, 10:39
Right next to the run or walk button there is a button which control the agresiveness of your troops. The other thing I forgot to ask is what time period in years and advance are you in. You tend to find that with the early periods and consequently less expierenced troops that they will go over to melee. But with more expierenced troops and during the later era they will stand still and slug it out.

Point in case. Last night I fought a battle agaist the french in the papal state. Their army was composed mostly of line infantrymen, artillery with one or two units of militia and a cavalry unit. My cavalry quickly took out their guns and cavalry with a flanking attack (the guns always lag behind and the cavalry stays back to protect them). My artillery slaugtered the militia and then a few vollies finished of the rest. When their line infantry reached my grenadiers they formed line and whe sluged it out. They lost.

Another important thing is not to give them a reason to charge. Withdraw your arty early in the battle as they tend to trigger a charge from the enemy.

5/77 Armd
19th Jul 2005, 12:40
I don't ever remember seeing aggressive/passive stance buttons! I'll check it out tonight.

Vorster
19th Jul 2005, 13:20
I think it is called the auto attack or manual attack button. But it is either blue or red depending on the stance. It is right next to the walk/run button

5/77 Armd
19th Jul 2005, 13:31
Oh, now I know what you're talking about. Those are the attack buttons, there is melee attack and firing attack. Those are only useful when you want an infantry unit to charge right away (like to assault artillery). Just because you push the firing attack button doesn't mean your infantry won't engage in melee. Your infantry fires anyways when the enemy gets in range. Also, infantry in this game seem to be predisposed to charge when the enemy gets too close; which can be a pain in the a**!

I've lost many a good light infantry battalions this way which I try to keep in front until the last minute, then while I'm giving them the order to displace back behind the grenadiers, some militia get a little too close and the morons all charge to their doom. Light infantry is no match for militia in hand to hand combat. (Which I find ridiculous!) Even the light infantry is equipped with bayonets (those little pointy things on the end of a rifle) and they should have no problem dispatching homeless bums armed with sticks.

La Neige
19th Jul 2005, 14:04
Thank you for the reply. I guess that lack of exprience really was the reason, since they don't seem to do this nonsense any more and only charge when the enemy is really close. I still wish they wouldn't charge at all without my orders, though.

The battle I mentioned earlier took place in Hanover, where I had a battalion of fusiliers and a battalion of voltigeurs, and the enemy was on the defensive with 2 units of militia and a battalion of line infantry. I found that there was absolutely no way to win that battle. As I later found out, it would have been useless any way, since a greater force is always needed for a siege.

As far as artillery goes, I haven't found it to be very useful yet. There are two possible situations: either my guns are out of range, or the enemy freaks out and charges, in the case of which I only have time for another round (and it misses) if I want to keep my artillery unit. And so the cannons are kind of useful for the purpose of getting the enemy to attack in disorder, but right now I really don't think they are better than another battalion of infantry (which would be cheaper too). Oh, and I'm building howitzers because of their longer range. Should I build light cannons instead?

monkeytart
19th Jul 2005, 14:13
Thank you for the reply. I guess that lack of exprience really was the reason, since they don't seem to do this nonsense any more and only charge when the enemy is really close. I still wish they wouldn't charge at all without my orders, though.

The battle I mentioned earlier took place in Hanover, where I had a battalion of fusiliers and a battalion of voltigeurs, and the enemy was on the defensive with 2 units of militia and a battalion of line infantry. I found that there was absolutely no way to win that battle. As I later found out, it would have been useless any way, since a greater force is always needed for a siege.

As far as artillery goes, I haven't found it to be very useful yet. There are two possible situations: either my guns are out of range, or the enemy freaks out and charges, in the case of which I only have time for another round (and it misses) if I want to keep my artillery unit. And so the cannons are kind of useful for the purpose of getting the enemy to attack in disorder, but right now I really don't think they are better than another battalion of infantry (which would be cheaper too). Oh, and I'm building howitzers because of their longer range. Should I build light cannons instead?
not to disappoint u, but u will find the meelee thing very annoying even if it doesn't appear so right now, many people dislike this game because of this god damn feature. and it has been discussed a lot before.

ps. i think howitzers ar better

Vorster
20th Jul 2005, 06:06
Howitzers. I still find that my guys don't really melee. But then I have completed the tech tree and am at the start of 1840.

monkeytart
20th Jul 2005, 10:13
Howitzers. I still find that my guys don't really melee. But then I have completed the tech tree and am at the start of 1840.
1840 :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must have loads of patience, most people ar done with a campaign by around the 1820's!!!!!!!!

Vorster
20th Jul 2005, 14:26
Oh I am very patient taking over countries at my leasure and building large armies and upgrading my terretories to the hilt. :o But stil I love the game.

O_O
20th Jul 2005, 15:59
Ah, the wonderful line-breaking infantry.
I love how you can spend twenty minutes carefully arranging your infantry to form a nice little cone of fire, then some rouge militia unit walks up to your flank and suddenly half the formation turns to face them, whereupon the enemy cavalry charges into the rear, taking no fire at all, and destroys your artillery.
*bangs head*
I wish you could beat the infantry in this game, or at least send them for some decent training.

=V3=
25th Jul 2005, 17:15
Thank you so much for bringing this up! That was the one factor that still makes me question getting this game.
I had, what seemed to be, the perfect formation in my lines. When the dumb AI charges half his Infantry, half of my armie breaks form to face them on the flank, creating an "L" effect. My arty is completly naked and gets slaughtered! I found the only way to combat this, is to manually tell your infantry to just switch to Hand-to-hand. At least its better than losing big guns. :rolleyes:

Matt@house
27th Jul 2005, 06:12
Guys just 1 question do u ever ever consider about puttin ur men in occupiable
positions such as buildings,forest and fences

Wiltshire Tony
27th Jul 2005, 11:38
I recently asked about a key binding for holding infantry formation so that they do not turn to face attackers and was told that the keys CTRL, ALT, H do it.

I have not tested this yet, anyone know about this?

5/77 Armd
27th Jul 2005, 12:37
I've tried that and it doesn't work, also: I got very angry when I just recently had a battle where I placed my light infantry behind walls and fences just to have them flee their awesome positions to become one with the enemy in a tangled mass of flailing limbs! I thought that since I had placed them in an "entrenched" position, they wouldn't rush headlong into mele, but I was wrong; the enemy wasn't even all that close!

ricbar89
27th Jul 2005, 22:11
Im really new to the game and i only have the demo, but prehaps it depends on the soilders. I always notice that my black watch unit never enters hand to hand unless it is forced, but lower trained soilders like line infy just seem to charge?

This could just be me or the fact its a demo....

But anyone else notice this?

southpark
30th Jul 2005, 14:05
1840 :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must have loads of patience, most people ar done with a campaign by around the 1820's!!!!!!!!

1820 im done by 1805

monkeytart
31st Jul 2005, 11:11
1820 im done by 1805
impressive! :thumbsup:

Zero Gulf
31st Jul 2005, 14:20
1820? I just completed this campaign by 1790 !!! :)

I disbanded all my armies, sold off all the national assets, handed the palace over to the first invader, plundered the treasury and got on a boat for Tahiti, where, I will live in absolute luxury for the next 60 years! :p

Ergo: How quickly you complete the campaign is really not the point. If you are taking the diplomatic route, you can easily play to 1840 and beyond! A more relevant measure would be your national wealth (money, raw materials, population , food and military strength) at the completion of your campaign.

"March To The Sound Of The Guns!"

Mamelukes
13th Aug 2005, 19:29
This is funny...... you capture hundreds of enemy troops, and then you execute them all... (if you are a cold-hearted person like me). Is there any realism in the fact that 200 hundred men could be executed on cue? You see a picture of a man being hung... but imagine how long it would take to hang all of the troops...

Just an irrelevant point... :)

Sir Crow
25th Aug 2005, 14:40
I suggest you look at the French revolution m8 if you want to know how quickly people can be executed, lol

efthimios
25th Aug 2005, 17:20
This is funny...... you capture hundreds of enemy troops, and then you execute them all... (if you are a cold-hearted person like me). Is there any realism in the fact that 200 hundred men could be executed on cue? You see a picture of a man being hung... but imagine how long it would take to hang all of the troops...

Just an irrelevant point... :)

Why would you hang them? There are other quicker ways to kill 200 people. Just force them to listen to Enya 24/7. :-p Just kidding, I like Enya.
They could shoot them, or tie them up and let them die from thirst, or anyway, too many ways.

SharpFish
31st Aug 2005, 13:12
Oh, now I know what you're talking about. Those are the attack buttons, there is melee attack and firing attack. Those are only useful when you want an infantry unit to charge right away (like to assault artillery). Just because you push the firing attack button doesn't mean your infantry won't engage in melee. Your infantry fires anyways when the enemy gets in range. Also, infantry in this game seem to be predisposed to charge when the enemy gets too close; which can be a pain in the a**!

You are mistaken. The melee attack and ranged attack buttons are further to the right; represented by a crossed swords and pistol respectively. The red and blue status buttons are indeed manual or automated attack. In automated attack, the unit will decide for itself when to close for the charge.

again, much of the criticism is overstated here. If you read closely on the period, it is a frequent occurrence that a line of infantry will fire only three or so volleys and then close to melee.