PDA

View Full Version : Eidos needs your help

jaywalker2309
13th Jul 2005, 16:47
Calling all multiplayers!!

When you've finished a game does Gamespy kick in before you've seen the stats screen (ie IG gets minimised rather then quits out)

If you've seen this incidient could you please reply on here, please dont reply `no i havent seen it` as that doesnt help hehe :)

Cheers

jaywalker2309
14th Jul 2005, 08:50
So not a single person who has read this thread has ever seen this issue?

Sir Crow
15th Jul 2005, 00:01
You talking about a Multiplayer game? If so could you ask Eidos what they're like as I have never managed to play one!

Nahirean
15th Jul 2005, 02:37

How do you like not being responded to?

Oststar
15th Jul 2005, 04:52

Maybe if Eidos ran some servers so that those who don't run 4.0ghz, dual raptors, 12v software design gfx cards, 10 GB of RAM and a 5MB connection can play multiplayer we could answer your question? Oh and all of this without a firewall.

Only 1 in about 5 people have a computer that doesn't block incoming traffic for any of the thousands of reasons, even I who disabled my firewall and all forms of security couldn't host any games, not that my old machine is worth hosting off. There aren't many who can host so we can't play MP. If eidos rented say maybe twenty servers, or at least room for twenty rounds at being similtaneously played via interested parties booking in a method similar to GameArena, then respect would grow for the company. This is something they should have done, at the very least get five servers.

Oh and on top of that start giving your goddamn community feedback and tell the modders how to crack your goddamn code. It's not going to sodding cost you anything, just tell them! You'll make profits from those telling friends about how great IG is with the mods, plus if you talk to the modders enough im sure they'd be happy to contribute to an official patch with all the features being asked for!

Nahirean
15th Jul 2005, 06:21
Maybe if Eidos ran some servers so that those who don't run 4.0ghz, dual raptors, 12v software design gfx cards, 10 GB of RAM and a 5MB connection can play multiplayer we could answer your question? Oh and all of this without a firewall.

Only 1 in about 5 people have a computer that doesn't block incoming traffic for any of the thousands of reasons, even I who disabled my firewall and all forms of security couldn't host any games, not that my old machine is worth hosting off. There aren't many who can host so we can't play MP. If eidos rented say maybe twenty servers, or at least room for twenty rounds at being similtaneously played via interested parties booking in a method similar to GameArena, then respect would grow for the company. This is something they should have done, at the very least get five servers.

Oh and on top of that start giving your goddamn community feedback and tell the modders how to crack your goddamn code. It's not going to sodding cost you anything, just tell them! You'll make profits from those telling friends about how great IG is with the mods, plus if you talk to the modders enough im sure they'd be happy to contribute to an official patch with all the features being asked for!

BRAVO Oststar!! I couldn't have said it better!

Mister Nock
15th Jul 2005, 07:47
Here here Oststar!

jaywalker2309
15th Jul 2005, 09:15

Firstly the game isnt server based, its peer to peer, so its not possible to have `unmanned` servers sitting there waiting for people to join them, altho i totally agree if our games support that type of server then yes we should do it.

Secondly, we've recently been bought by another company and theres been some vast changes within our company structure with a lot of staff leaving. There is a new Community guy being employed in the US who is getting up to speed with things.

We are helping the modders with any queries they come to us with. Things like `blood` patch etc are not things we can give easily as it would be going against the US age rating to be seen endorsing it (look at recent GTA issue with the sex scenes, that could potentially cost them a lot)

We test all our titles with as wide a spread of routers/firewalls etc as we can, but obviously individuals are going to have an infinite number of variations of these and all we can do is try and help them as they come up. Giving technical support when you cannot `physically` see the problem or tinker with it is very very difficult..

We are currently working on a patch from Pyro which was why i was asking about something. It is not my job to be on the forums, but i come on here to try and help as much as i can when i can. All in all i dont think i've done too bad, helping many people get the game to run on hardware that was never intended to run the game (the intel fix) etc.. obviously i wont just suddenly disappear but you have to understand that i am very busy doing my actual job most of the time.

Thanks

Phillippe
15th Jul 2005, 12:14
Alright, answer this one question then.

Do we have permission to reverse engineer your game to be able to create MOD's from it? [If you cannot provide us the information first.]

This only being those files we can't currently open, so it'll be more a way to find out how to open them to edit them.

jaywalker2309
15th Jul 2005, 13:01
Alright, answer this one question then.

Do we have permission to reverse engineer your game to be able to create MOD's from it? [If you cannot provide us the information first.]

This only being those files we can't currently open, so it'll be more a way to find out how to open them to edit them.

Once you've bought and paid for the game theres nothing stopping you adjusting the files for your personal use etc, and if you feel its something the community may benefit from and it doesnt circumvent the copy protection or the alter the executable in any way then of course we welcome mods and the like..

Pyro have been in contact with a few modders answering their questions off line so to speak (ie you wont see them posting on here).

Cpt.HooK
15th Jul 2005, 13:21
Pyro have been in contact with a few modders answering their questions off line so to speak (ie you wont see them posting on here).
So who are these select few? there are a few angry modders around here who have questions they would like answering where do they send their questions its unfair if the devs are helping some and not all. :mad:

jaywalker2309
15th Jul 2005, 13:21
So who are these select few? there are a few angry modders around here who have questions they would like answering where do they send their questions its unfair if the devs are helping some and not all. :mad:

Am not sure how they got in touch with pyro actually, think they just mailled a global email address there.. will see if can find out..

Queeg
15th Jul 2005, 14:07
Well, fragmentary though it is, at least this is some news.

Nahirean
15th Jul 2005, 16:12
Firstly the game isnt server based, its peer to peer, so its not possible to have `unmanned` servers sitting there waiting for people to join them, altho i totally agree if our games support that type of server then yes we should do it.

Secondly, we've recently been bought by another company and theres been some vast changes within our company structure with a lot of staff leaving. There is a new Community guy being employed in the US who is getting up to speed with things.

We are helping the modders with any queries they come to us with. Things like `blood` patch etc are not things we can give easily as it would be going against the US age rating to be seen endorsing it (look at recent GTA issue with the sex scenes, that could potentially cost them a lot)

We test all our titles with as wide a spread of routers/firewalls etc as we can, but obviously individuals are going to have an infinite number of variations of these and all we can do is try and help them as they come up. Giving technical support when you cannot `physically` see the problem or tinker with it is very very difficult..

We are currently working on a patch from Pyro which was why i was asking about something. It is not my job to be on the forums, but i come on here to try and help as much as i can when i can. All in all i dont think i've done too bad, helping many people get the game to run on hardware that was never intended to run the game (the intel fix) etc.. obviously i wont just suddenly disappear but you have to understand that i am very busy doing my actual job most of the time.

Thanks

Blood!? Sex in GTA? Oh COME ON! We have been asking you DIRECTLY through PMs and on these forums for over a stinking MONTH about a SPECIFIC ISSUE!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO WE MODIFY UNIT STATS? HOW DO WE OPEN THE .DT FILES?

You don't respond to us, you ignore us. You claim you didn't even receive "pms." You are a horrible moderator and a bad representative of Eidos. They need to remove you and replace you with someone who is willing to do what they say they're going to do. I've seen you say several times "I'm going to ask the devs." - What happens? Nothing. You say no more about it. Then after several people rake you over some coals when you whine about not getting any responses, you go on a tirade of EXCUSES. "My company is being bought out, we're training another representative." SO WHAT? You still did not do what you said you were going to do. You still are a subpar moderator and reflect negatively on Eidos. Want some proof? I for one will never purchase another Eidos release due to the lack of support I have gotten from Eidos - IE, YOU.

Mike_B
15th Jul 2005, 16:16
That's it you need to calm down for a few days before you come back here. Obviously you are unwilling to read or understand Jaycws reasoning but I'll repeat it once more.

His job is the mastering of the game, not the coding or anything related to it. Whereas he may have contact to the developers it won't be same as the producers of the game have. That would also mean his role is smaller than the producers and thus he has not the same level of access to certain information or the same influence when requesting information.

Oh and just for the record he doens't have to post here. He's helping people, frankly he's one of the few people of Eidos that post here and then you attack him. Really smart move.

You don't respond to us, you ignore us. You claim you didn't even receive "pms." You are a horrible moderator and a bad representative of Eidos.

Oh yes he's a terrible moderator he helps people, made an effort to make the intel fix but no he does not care about the community. If he's a bad moderator then your the worst representation of a modder.

They need to remove you and replace you with someone who is willing to do what they say they're going to do. I've seen you say several times "I'm going to ask the devs."

Read above, asking does not necessarily mean he get's answers.

Want some proof? I for one will never purchase another Eidos release due to the lack of support I have gotten from Eidos - IE, YOU.

Well boohoo that will show him to listen to the community suggestions while creating a patch and while releasing editor tools.

Geesh you get a hand and you want to go for the whole arm right away.

As far as I'm concerned the last word on this matter has been said so that this thread can go back to it's original topic which was started to help people!

There's nothing wrong with requesting help but there is something wrong with attacking the wrong persons & constant whining.

jaywalker2309
15th Jul 2005, 16:23
Blood!? Sex in GTA? Oh COME ON! We have been asking you DIRECTLY through PMs and on these forums for over a stinking MONTH about a SPECIFIC ISSUE!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO WE MODIFY UNIT STATS? HOW DO WE OPEN THE .DT FILES?

You don't respond to us, you ignore us. You claim you didn't even receive "pms." You are a horrible moderator and a bad representative of Eidos. They need to remove you and replace you with someone who is willing to do what they say they're going to do. I've seen you say several times "I'm going to ask the devs." - What happens? Nothing. You say no more about it. Then after several people rake you over some coals when you whine about not getting any responses, you go on a tirade of EXCUSES. "My company is being bought out, we're training another representative." SO WHAT? You still did not do what you said you were going to do. You still are a subpar moderator and reflect negatively on Eidos. Want some proof? I for one will never purchase another Eidos release due to the lack of support I have gotten from Eidos - IE, YOU.

I have a job to do elsewhere and come on here whenever i can.. there are people who are on here as mods, and they look after the place when people misbehave etc.. As an employee i'm given the rank of super mod, but it doesnt mean i do mod things, i've never banned anyone..

I dont go on tirades, i just dont like when people dont read all the posts and then claim to have an informed opinion.

I wont deny i'd love to be able to help everyone and have every answer, but i can't. I help where i can when i can.. My PM inbox is flooded constantly, so if i miss some then i apologise.

The patch is coming on well, hopefully be able to give you more details very shortly about it once its gone thru QA a bit more..

Queeg
15th Jul 2005, 22:10
Mods:

While the tone of some here has perhaps been a bit intemperate, the frustration is understandable.

Perhaps to those on the "inside," all this makes sense. That this board apparently has only part-time moderators. That you guys apparently have little to no direct contact with those who designed the game. And that a simple question that has been repeated here many times - how to open and mod the unit stats file - has gone unanswered for over a month. Perhaps to sophisticates of the game industry all this makes perfect sense and is entirely reasonable.

But to the unenlightened masses, we poor slobs whose only connection with the game industry is that we give you our money, none of this makes a lick of sense, nor does it seem the least bit reasonable. And it seems to us, from our moles-eye view, that it doesn't have to be this way. Because we've seen other game companies - Paradox and Matrix, for example - who foster thriving and collegial communities by their active participation. Perhaps we just don't understand the big picture, but it sure seems to us that we've seen it done differently.

The sad irony is that IG is a very good game. By comparison, Crown of Glory, another Napoleonic title, came out just a couple of weeks ago. It has potential but it is full - and I mean full - of all sorts of bugs and oddities at the moment. Far more than in IG. But the atmosphere over there is upbeat and constructive. Why? Because those responsible for the game actively post on the board, explaining their design decisions, acknowledging where things aren't working as they should and soliciting opinions on improvements. No one there expects perfection from those guys and, even more importantly, they appreciate the sense of shared mission. So it could be here, too.

I know you guys are doing the best you can. My guess is you feel you're fighting the tide with a teaspoon and are at least as frustrated as we are. If so, you have my sympathy.

IG could be a great game and the foundation of a successful franchise. But that won't happen unless someone steps out from the shadows and takes responsibility for the game.

Surely, you can't condemn those of us here who wish that would happen.

Sir Crow
16th Jul 2005, 00:37
I don't wish to upset anyone connected with the forum or Eidos but compared to some other sites and games your supposed help towards modders isn't very forthcoming. I'm not a modder myself but I'm a super-moderator on another forum that has done a Napoleonic mod (for a different game)and the help we got from the game software guys would you put you too shame, granted it wasn't posted all over the forums which is fair enough but by the lack of any decent mods for IG you can't have released anything worthwhile. Our modders have been recognised by the games software guys and even feature on their site, featured in games magazines none of this would be possible without the game software guys releasing the tools and helping on modding the important files.

Oststar
16th Jul 2005, 08:24

The issue is that we cannot have people connect, i've got 20 something clan mates (BF2/42) that I play with and of those two are able to host. Two of twenty. One of those can only host by killing all antivirus and firewalls. While we're playing he's at a massive risk and every night that he hosts for our clan he runs an antivirus and spyware scan with a lot of hits. The whole idea of of P2P gaming is insane! I've said the average is 1-5 who can host, that's assuming they can/will disable their firewall and everything, the 1-10 going by my clan are the ones who will disable their firewall or have portmagic. Of the remaining 18 half still can't connect when they disable all the security and the other half can't disable their security because of sensitive materiel on the computers (Some run businesses from home, others are teenagers who have parents doing that).

I'm sure there's a way to circumvent the P2P nature of IG: after all one of the players in a 1v1 is remotely connected to the other's PC, no? Therefore if these games are run as 2v1's perhaps with specially modded code so that one of the players is disabled, the other two are playing like a P2P. It seems totally possible to me, am I being a naive, know-nothing?

That's no reason why these modders are being ignored by Pyro (Not you, you've explained that you're a coder not a rep, therefore my question to you Jay is who the hell are you covering for? Surely Pyro/Eidos has someone who is supposed to be liasing with the community? If they don't then who are we supposed to be talking to? The reason you're taking the heat Jay is that you're the visible target, when I was here before IG's release (I wonder where Khorish got to...) you were kind enough to answer questions and later even help with hardware issues. Jay you're doing us a favour by being here, but Pyro or someone working for Pyro, is spitting at our feet by not helping us, because of that you're the one getting attacked. Who is the guy supposed to be doing this?

Can you give me some names and emails of these people you're helping Jay? They've figured out how to talk to Pyro, maybe they'll be kind enough to pass these secrets onto us?

Someone is sleeping under the tractor during their shift then because even when I disable my net security I can't get my friends to connect to me. I'm not on a router i'm running a USB modem directly into the machine, even on an internal card I get issues.

Thanks

Why do you insist on running things through Gamespyware anyway? Can't you throw together something on your own?

Mike_B
16th Jul 2005, 08:47
Queeg,

I certainly understand your frustration. I've been a long time fan of the Commandos series which is also from Pyro Studios unfortunately there were never tools or other help released to help modding which meant the game died pretty fast. Of course it would have been nicer if there would've been support. With the latest game releases Pyro seemed to have changed it's modding supported with started with the lead programmer of Praetorians posting advice on how to decode certain formats. It's still new for them but I'm sure/hope they'll get their in the end.

Addionally you of course can't know that I'm only here as a volunteer and know as much as you do. I did send of some questions over to someone inside Eidos UK who had helped us very well before with our site, but unfortunately I found out that he no longer worked there and had to send the questions to someone else. I'm sure they'll get answered though and when they are I'll post them here.

Can you give me some names and emails of these people you're helping Jay? They've figured out how to talk to Pyro, maybe they'll be kind enough to pass these secrets onto us?

I know that with Praetorians aWaKeNiNg or something like that got help from the lead programmer of the game. The lead programmer of IG is someone else so I don't know or this is still the case. If it would then I don't understand why those people haven't shared that information.

Queeg
16th Jul 2005, 09:00
Thanks for the response. There's still time to get this thing right.

Oststar
16th Jul 2005, 09:47
I know that with Praetorians aWaKeNiNg or something like that got help from the lead programmer of the game. The lead programmer of IG is someone else so I don't know or this is still the case. If it would then I don't understand why those people haven't shared that information.

Well praetorians looks like IG just roman era, but it still probably won't help with the coding, unless IG and Praetorians have a BF42/Bf:V type relationship. Jaycw is aware of people who've been helped by the Imperial Glory team so perhaps he'll be able to put me onto them. It really is a matter where Pyro should release official tools for modding, like a mapping tool (A la Battlecraft for BF42), so that players can create wholly new games on the IG engine, like with Forgotten Hope or Eve of Destruction for Battlefield 1942.

Sorry for all the BF examples, it's just a game that I play a lot and seems to have figured out that players buy and stay and encourage others to buy, games that have mods. And this is with a Studio and Developer as reviled as DICE and EA, even the DICE Canada expansion will sell if they don't release them like RtR and SW were for 42, ie glorified map packs.

Mike_B
16th Jul 2005, 10:38
It really is a matter where Pyro should release official tools for modding, like a mapping tool

I think the changes of the mapping tool being released are the smallest. From our interview with the lead designer a while back:

Will the game be open for modding? We are sure there are enough talented map designers and modellers who can bring the community to a higher level with the help of some history buffs. A game is never too complex for modding. What do you think?

François Coulon: The level of exigency we have on graphics and on gameplay pushed us towards the decision of making all maps by hand and not generated, as in other RTS games. All strategic points, tactics and all gameplay mechanisms are developed with an internal and very precise editor that would need a lot of time to master for people willing to make a mod. This complex yet precise tool is not something we’ve considered getting public, at least at this time. This does not mean that the community will not get anything from us. We are already planning a few things.

Íñigo Vinós: People should know that we do our best to make good and fun games, and that we do care about their opinions and about what they write in e-mails and posts. We may not be able to answer to everything or to make everyone happy, but we never forget that they are the ones that let us do what we like, which is to make videogames.

Cpt.HooK
16th Jul 2005, 11:31
Firstly let me start off by saying i buy lots of games sometimes only to play the mods available i have UT2004 which i think is crap but has some amazing mods and HL2 which i haven't really played (waiting on insurgency mod).IMO a game that supports the comunity and helps modders will last ALOT longer than one that does not.Its definatly a deciding factor for me and many others when buying games.I didn't buy IG for the mods it just "looked cool" :)

This thread makes me angry after what Jay said the fact devs are help some and not all makes me mad.If they just said no we will not help you change our game that would have been fine.

And where are the devs and why do they not speak here ?

These are the offical forums right ?

Why no comment on what and when we will see this game patched ?

It would look to some that this game has been abandon by Eidos

Oststar
17th Jul 2005, 08:47
I think the changes of the mapping tool being released are the smallest. From our interview with the lead designer a while back:

So we're getting the big, official, shiny, stamped, "Sod off"?

Basicly he's saying that none of us have his 1337 mapping skills, geez well unless there's code built into the maps pertaining to unit behaviour I don't see why not: battlecraft was a monster to use and if you did the slightest thing wrong you botched your map for good, but players got great results from that. Even if there was code built into the maps some of these guys are willing to give it a shot, this game was said to be highly moddable, which was part of my choice to buy it. To turn around and say "Sod off" gently and in long terms is still saying "Sod off" and hence treating us all like little children.

Why are they withholding this information? What will it cost them? An official mapping and SDK would be nice but what we're asking for is just the way to crack the code. Even if these guys have to wade through pages of psuedo code they'll do it.

Also ATM i'm curious as to your standing on this matter. Correct me if i'm wrong but you're not from Pyro or Eidos are you, you're a forum member who they've given moderation powers? Also what is your personal opinion on this matter, ie do you think we should shut up and play our game contentedly? Or are you just playing adjudicator? Are you a moderator of this forum or just the commandos forum? Are you a super mod ie you moderate the whole board?

Jaycw still hasn't given us names and emails, is he arranging a list for us perhaps?

Mike_B
17th Jul 2005, 09:43
So we're getting the big, official, shiny, stamped, "Sod off"?

Not completely changes are they still release it. With praetorians when the lead programmer saw what people achieved he stepped in and provided more help with decoding some formats. I'm trying to find out what the mod support plan is and I'm expecting an answer at the start of next week.

Also ATM i'm curious as to your standing on this matter. Correct me if i'm wrong but you're not from Pyro or Eidos are you, you're a forum member who they've given moderation powers?

Correct.

Also what is your personal opinion on this matter, ie do you think we should shut up and play our game contentedly?

No I don't think you should shut up as long as this discussion can be held as it is now I don't have a problem with it. I support you and am doing what I can to find out some things. Modding is a good thing for games as it extends the life of a game and the strength of the community something I always found went away with the Commandos games.

Are you a moderator of this forum or just the commandos forum? Are you a super mod ie you moderate the whole board?

I started a few years back just in the Commandos forums and have been a appointed to this forum by Pyro and the producers just as sick. Since a few of the original admins left Eidos US I now help keeping an eye on the whole board.

Jaycw still hasn't given us names and emails, is he arranging a list for us perhaps?

I assume you mean of the modders that have contact with Pyro? I suggest trying to contact aWaKeNiNG (awakening@mod-project.com) or have a look at http://www.mod-project.com and see if there's a way for contact there should the mail not work.

Oststar
17th Jul 2005, 11:10
Not completely changes are they still release it. With praetorians when the lead programmer saw what people achieved he stepped in and provided more help with decoding some formats. I'm trying to find out what the mod support plan is and I'm expecting an answer at the start of next week.

That is all with Praetorians though, unless its code is identical and the data is very similar as far as manipulating it they're of little use to us.

Correct. No I don't think you should shut up as long as this discussion can be held as it is now I don't have a problem with it. I support you and am doing what I can to find out some things. Modding is a good thing for games as it extends the life of a game and the strength of the community something I always found went away with the Commandos games. I started a few years back just in the Commandos forums and have been a appointed to this forum by Pyro and the producers just as sick. Since a few of the original admins left Eidos US I now help keeping an eye on the whole board.

Thanks, I was curious as to what your position was and such, thanks again.

I assume you mean of the modders that have contact with Pyro? I suggest trying to contact aWaKeNiNG (awakening@mod-project.com) or have a look at http://www.mod-project.com and see if there's a way for contact there should the mail not work.

Thanks, these guys all speak Spanish right? I've noticed a lot of the guys on this site and connected to IG don't speak english or not very well.

Mike_B
17th Jul 2005, 11:45
That is all with Praetorians though, unless its code is identical and the data is very similar as far as manipulating it they're of little use to us.

Yeah but I meant that it's possible that's an IG team member of Pyro provides some help. As for the mod support plan I asked about IG not praetorians.

Thanks, these guys all speak Spanish right? I've noticed a lot of the guys on this site and connected to IG don't speak english or not very well.

Yes they're Spanish although I know their team leader is pretty good at English.

Phillippe
17th Jul 2005, 12:57
The question is how they'll convert the translation from Spanish to English in the patch notes, bet it'll take longer than some of the patch jobs.

Queeg
17th Jul 2005, 17:36
Yep, the language barrier is a problem. I went to the mod-project site, clicked on the English translation icon, and saw this in the first thread in the forum:

Pop, I do not touch the balls, that heche of which between a the forum is not because no longer I have the URL that facil of www.foromod.....

I'm not sure I really want to know what they're talking about there.

Sir Crow
18th Jul 2005, 15:37
While it's true that you can pick up viruses through dodgy sites in my experience most people get viruses through E-mail, downloading and software from their 'friends'. So in theory you don't have to visit anywhere online to pick up a virus and in the case of getting one through software you don't have to be connected to the internet at all.

Mike_B
19th Jul 2005, 09:22
Ok that's enough guys let's just keep this somehow on topic.

Oststar
19th Jul 2005, 10:56
Ok that's enough guys let's just keep this somehow on topic.

What is the topic though?