PDA

View Full Version : All units are the same!

K1ler
13th Jul 2005, 13:25
Hello,

there are few things I discovered when playing this "game".

I have discovered that all the units in the game have the same statistic. No matter what nation are they from! You dare to call this a strategy game?

And what more. I have never seen a more suicidal armies. No matter what, they never retreat and everybody fights till bitter end. If only the Czech army was like that.

Well another problem is that the maps are alway the same. After fighting five battles in one turn on the SAME map I had to quit the "game" for a while. It was just too much for me.

The most funny thing was when Poland declared war on me (Russia), then waited till I build my armies and then let themselves military annexed.

I expected another Total War like game set in the Napoleonic era. How naive I was. This bull**** can not be called game. Next time, I will really think twice before spending my money on an EIDOS "game".

Cpt.HooK
13th Jul 2005, 14:14
The AI retreats after you give them a good beating but you do not get to run them down like total war they just retreat.When you get the tech advances you will be able to follow and attack while they flee to capture their arty but this is always automated you also capture prisoners.

K1ler
13th Jul 2005, 14:21
Yes, I know. But the AI retreats only as a whole (you see simple note that AI decided to retreat).

And yes after the battle you can choose to pursue. But I want this possibility IN BATTLE. What was the cavalry for? One of the purpose was to pursue retreating units.

What more, if you choose to pursue, you see a message that commander was ambushed and suffered loses. It happened to me when AI retreated with its three artilleries. It had to be some abmush when my units did not see it. And I even can not do anything with it. I can not change the result of the ambush. Why? It is the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

Cpt.HooK
13th Jul 2005, 17:13
I always keep calvalry at the rear untill i really need them to clean up,if you have cavalry in you forces when you chase them it will increase your chances for sure.I don't really mind this it all adds to the game do kill the prisoner or let them go and its nice when you capture a load of enemy artilary ;)

=V3=
23rd Jul 2005, 16:59
you mean you can capture arty? I've just been slaughtering them! How do you capture enemy units? :eek:

Queeg
23rd Jul 2005, 17:14
You capture artillery when you pursue a retreating enemy. A pop-up will appear saying the enemy is retreating and ask if you want to pursue. If you pursue, you may capture some artillery. Or get a bunch of your own guys killed.

Nial
25th Jul 2005, 14:55
To capture arty you must have free slots in a millitary academy somewhere in your empire. The captured arty will be sent to the closest academy with an open slot. The same goes for captured ships. You must have an open slot in a millitary port. No open slots .......no capture. ;)

BARBARIANrome
10th Aug 2005, 10:30
Agree with original poster back to RTW

efthimios
10th Aug 2005, 11:09
Agree with original poster back to RTW

Take care!

BARBARIANrome
10th Aug 2005, 11:30
lol.....

i gather your a big IG fan....

i dont know whether you have played RTW or not, by your comments i gather you havent.

If you like IG then you will love RTW.

Look im not saying i hate IG, as i dont.. in fact its a good game but i find myself comparing it to rome far to often which i shouldnt really as they 2 differant games but you come to expect more and more each time i am sure you will agree...

I have only had IG for 6 days now and will start giving it a shot online, as thats why i buy most games is to pay online, but all im saying is that compared to RTW it hasnt quite got that X-Factor... (not that silly singing pop idol reject competetion either) lol British folk will know what i mean there..

efthimios
10th Aug 2005, 12:35
Well, I am not british, but I live in the UK for 8 years now. I still don't know what you mean cause I don't own a tv set. Hmm, so you are right I guess. lol

You are making the same mistake twice. Who said that I do not own or even like RTW? It is not my favourite strategy game but I do like it a lot. I don't love it. As I do not love IG either. I like IG and I like RTW. They are of different eras and none of them is the best in its field as far as I am concerned.

I am just not whining about IG not being what I would have liked it to be than what it is. I understand anyone giving up on the game and even "flaming" for bugs or hardware problems, but not for features or lack of them.

K1ler
10th Aug 2005, 13:12
But no one explained to me how can someone make a strategy game where all units not only have the same stats, but even looke the same (well at least their uniforms have different colours).

BARBARIANrome
10th Aug 2005, 13:50
its just you seemed to be backing IG up agaist rome like saying that RTW isnt better when clearly as a full complete game it is, im not flaming this is a forum for all people who own the game to express there thoughts of the game and strats and so on, thats what i did....

and kil1er yes agreed i mean theres no differance in stats its like hambags at 10 paces for all..

also u keep making 1 mistake saying rome isnt the better game....

efthimios
10th Aug 2005, 14:01
K1ler it might comes as a suprise to you but actualy there are and use to be a lot of strategy and wargames where each side had the same type of units. Shocking I know, but true! And guess what, even they were good games! Wow!

Barbarianrome, (good name for joining the forum of IG btw), I am not backing up IG against RTW. I say that both of them are good games in their fields, and none of them are the best. I guess you and some people have a problem understanding my poor english.
Also, someone other than you having an opinion that is different than yours does not make him/her wrong. You like RTW so much more than IG, good for you! Others, like me, like BOTH the games. Deal with it!

BARBARIANrome
10th Aug 2005, 14:15
First of i dont have a problem with your english....

secondly yes i have stressed my opinion and now i am at eaze but we are having a discussion as you can see by my other post in other forum i have explained why i feel RTW is a better all round game, and i was rather hoping for you to do the same but to stress why u feel IG is on the level par with RTW...

I think i will be able to deal with it may take me a few beers first but anyhow, i have no problem with your opinion i just like people to back it up, thats all, glad to be having this discussion.

and further more i choose barbarianrome as my nickname in all games i play is BARBARIAN but it seems one of my ancestors is useing this name already on this forum, so i added my fav game to the end...

efthimios
10th Aug 2005, 16:10
As I said before, I do like RTW very much. It is not the best game but it is a good game. I also like IG, let's end this.

K1ler
11th Aug 2005, 12:18
O.K. So please name one game where ALL units have the same stats. I would like know how many will you find.

efthimios
11th Aug 2005, 15:12
Empire. Want more?

K1ler
12th Aug 2005, 06:36
Never heard of it. Maybe because it is the same bad game as IG. So yes please I want more.

efthimios
12th Aug 2005, 09:36
Tell you what, ask someone who is more experienced in war/strategy games about Empire and Empire Deluxe and you might get an idea. Also Empire is far superioor than IG, RTW and most other strategy games. Just because you don't know it it is not its fault.

Ok, another one, Civilization series. Do you need more?

Fitch
14th Aug 2005, 07:03
Back to one of the original points.....

What do you mean by the Maps don't change?? and how is that a Bad thing for this type of game??

I don't seem to recall the Map or Iraq changing from the Gulf War to Iraqi Freedom......

and if you fought 5 battles on the Same map and it burnt you out...then you should probably question your need for that Territory......or at th eleast attack it with a considerably bigger force.....

Now as for this little Gem....
I have discovered that all the units in the game have the same statistic. No matter what nation are they from! You dare to call this a strategy game?

Do you know what Strategy is???

Can you Take 1 Battalion of Militia, and 2 Battlions of Light Infantry and defeat 3 Battalions of Line Infantry and 1 Section of Arty??

I'd say not...your Argument on the Stats is the Whine of someone who's idea of strategy is to win by sheer numbers......When you enter an Easy Battle...how many Full Battlions of troops do you lose against the 2 Battalions of enemy Militia???

The fact that All the stats are the same is what Makes a Strategy game...because you Have to THINK to win an even Fight....

Yes, it would eb nice if Each empire had a "Unique Unit" Specific to it, with slightly elevated stats in particular fields....but for thsi type of game they would need to be REALLY Expensive....

K1ler
15th Aug 2005, 07:57
Hmm, about the maps. No, maps in Iraq are the same, But do not tell me that all the battles take place on the same spot everytime there is a war. It would very funny. "Well general, we fought in this village 15 years ago, why not fight here again?" "Good idea, now we only need to convince our enemy to come here as well." Sorry, but the maps in IG sucks. And five times mean that I take the territory with the biggest force I can, but the AI is so dumb that it still sends its minor armies to recapture. So I fight 4 or 5 battles on THE SAME MAP. And can you tell me, why I am still attacker even if I already captured the territory?

About the strategy. "General, our units can shoot at the same range as the enemy." "How come?" "Someone thought that all armies in Europe use the same equipment." "Well, but our units are tougher, aren't they?" "Well, no sir, they are completely same as the enemy." "In that case it means our causalities will be totaly same."
Sorry, but that sucks too. Who will win? 6 units of light infantry vs. 6 units of light infantry? God knows. As there is nothing like leaders, morale etc.

"Tell me colonel, why are not we on the battlefield? Our men should know that we are there. Could boost their morale." "There is no morale in game, sir. So we would be useless there." "Well colonel, I would like to know which idiot made this." "So would I sir, so would I."

Never mind, I have already uninstalled this "game". Will not install it again till some MOD comes out. And as I see it, it may mean that I will never install it again. Thanks god there is a new 6.0 Total Realism for Rome. Looks absolutely great.

Mike_B
15th Aug 2005, 08:26
I can understand that you're not happy about the game and that you want to have your say about that. I do however fail to see the relevance of constant negative posts if you're not even interested in the game anymore and are not waiting for the devs to respond to the modding questions.

Fitch
15th Aug 2005, 09:01
Sorry, but that sucks too. Who will win? 6 units of light infantry vs. 6 units of light infantry? God knows.

Wow......you totally missed the point of my post....I thinks it good you quit playing...this game is beyond your thought level....

K1ler
15th Aug 2005, 13:55
I do not think so. But when militia charges riflemen without suffering significant loses, and when you can not order your units to stop melee, then there is something wrong.

And I think there may be people who have not bought IG yet and it is necessary to warn them what to expect.

joxer31
15th Aug 2005, 18:01
The fact that All the stats are the same is what Makes a Strategy game...because you Have to THINK to win an even Fight....

Normally, if a units stats are altered, they are weaker in something else. This is what makes a strategy game. Find his weakness and exploiting it. I dont care if the units stats are the same of different.

The fact that once engaged in melee, there is no retreating, and lack of battlefield morale, has turned me off from the game. Im hoping for some improvement from the devs.

deadboy10
18th Aug 2005, 08:50
Well personnally, i think the moral system in RTW is a bit to much.
Pin the enemie and flank, you can destroy 10 armies in a few turns before you need to reinforce your armie ( and even then ).
VH/VH makes battles even easier, you get the attack and moral bonus too!

I would like IG to have a small moral system, not like the one in RTW

Queeg
18th Aug 2005, 15:22
Well personnally, i think the moral system in RTW is a bit to much.
Pin the enemie and flank, you can destroy 10 armies in a few turns before you need to reinforce your armie ( and even then ).
VH/VH makes battles even easier, you get the attack and moral bonus too!

I would like IG to have a small moral system, not like the one in RTW

I agree. Having never actually fought with or against a Roman Legion, I have no idea if the morale system in RTW is "realistic" or not. (Nor, by the way, does anyone else.) But I do know it makes for boring, lopsided, repetitive gameplay. Pin, flank, chase - lather, rinse, repeat.

While the fight-to-the-death aspect of IG still bugs me, I find the battles much more interesting and challenging because the AI actually puts up a fight.

General Cassard
18th Aug 2005, 17:27
During my last run through the game, it actually seems as though the AI has stopped playing by the Bushido code.

As France fighting against Austria, they withdraw from the battlefield in Bohemia, and after that I had three instances in which they chose to retreat as I was setting up and deploying my troops.

liam_IG
22nd Aug 2005, 18:11
First off I would like to say that I have only completed the short campaign once and have only fought 3 battles, I bought it 2days ago. this is an ace game aswell. anyway:

on the issue of the morale, I agree that there should be a morale system although it should vary with the units for example.
Militia should be more likely to run away than any of the other tropps as the militia are not disciplined, for all the other troops there should be little morale as if you have ever watched a film like 'Zulu' you should know that soldiers did as they where told.

on the issue of troops being the same, the early troops should be the same as they were basically in that era, but as you get up to the more highly trained troops (e.g. black watch, lifeguards, Imperial Guards, cuirasseurs etc.) they should be different as they the specialy trained troops for each empire.

liam_IG
22nd Aug 2005, 21:12
I would also like to ask a puzzling question why is the British flag wrong

WolfFasT
23rd Aug 2005, 21:07
Well on the units stats issue! hmmm!!!!

We need to ask ourselves a few questions on this matter..

First off, if unit stats are all the same 4 each faction,this make the game balanced 100%..Thus givin u 1v1 etc even...
Only problem is kinda borin IMO as strat will b kinda the same as each faction has same units.But tactics become important even more!

So if each faction like in RTW has different units/stats makes each faction different to use..ie some factions can use hit and run tactics as thats what their main strengths r..
But also this causes many problems as in RTW because gettin the balance for all factions is so hard.Ad the DEV'S dont test enuf and know enuf about the game etc etc..But in RTW cav rule he who uses he cav best will win the game simple as that... :p

The point is its very hard to plzs everyone....In a ideal world the stats should be different 4 each faction but the testin and balance need to b 100% correct which takes time and they dont always get the best beta testers :rolleyes:
Has anybody ask why they used all the same stats 4 each factions?
Like all games it needs good support and around 3/5 patches to iron the basic problems out!
But i ask u this r we gettin another patch 4 IG????? :confused:

britishjohn
27th Aug 2005, 16:57
Well, I am not british, but I live in the UK for 8 years now. I still don't know what you mean cause I don't own a tv set. Hmm, so you are right I guess.

A non-British person living in the UK. I would never have thought that could happen in Britain... :rolleyes:

efthimios
27th Aug 2005, 17:14
A non-British person living in the UK. I would never have thought that could happen in Britain... :rolleyes:

Strange, isn't it? Not only that, but I am also not trying to steal or cheat anyone! I am also not looking for ways to get money from the government and I do work for a living!

Deaden
30th Aug 2005, 22:47
i agree with the dude i'd like to see some depth on the units status for there difrent nations and so forth like for the england ranged inf. thay are know for there marksmen right? so have them have 5 more range on there ranged acttacks and 10 more for there fire power and for the Russins are known for there brutatly so 10 exter melee status and the fench known for there numbers? so thay get 10 more dudes in there inf. units and one more cannon in there arty.? :confused:

General Cassard
31st Aug 2005, 01:39
The units are the same when it comes to the on-paper stats, but that's just an overview of their abilities. There's much more to it than that.

There's climate conditions, experience levels, use of the terrain, and skill of the player. If the units were all the same, then it would be possible to win by sheer numbers, but that's not the case.

Even if the units were all the same, it wouldn't really matter, because it's not like all the battles are going to involve identical armies.

SharpFish
31st Aug 2005, 11:00
But no one explained to me how can someone make a strategy game where all units not only have the same stats, but even looke the same (well at least their uniforms have different colours).

Yes, easy.

A STRATEGY game is about strategy. Differences between units in this period, and indeed in most others, are much less significant in real life than they have traditionally been in games.

You win by deployment, by choosing your battles, not by a zerg rush or a turtle.

Strategy. The Art of War. Geddit?

Now with all that said, there is room for a little differentiation among units. I don't mind if a point or two is added or substracted here and there. But it is certainly not a critical issue in my book.

SharpFish
31st Aug 2005, 11:02

Take your colonists back home, then you can talk.

britishjohn
31st Aug 2005, 12:18
Strange, isn't it? Not only that, but I am also not trying to steal or cheat anyone! I am also not looking for ways to get money from the government and I do work for a living!

:thumbsup:
I like the wit of your reply

efthimios
31st Aug 2005, 16:37
:thumbsup:
I like the wit of your reply

That might be because I used to be racist and fascist.
Thanks for your compliment.

NaPoLeOn_FusilieR
22nd Sep 2005, 16:51
Hello,

there are few things I discovered when playing this "game".

And what more. I have never seen a more suicidal armies. No matter what, they never retreat and everybody fights till bitter end. If only the Czech army was like that.

Well another problem is that the maps are alway the same. After fighting five battles in one turn on the SAME map I had to quit the "game" for a while. It was just too much for me.

The most funny thing was when Poland declared war on me (Russia), then waited till I build my armies and then let themselves military annexed.

I expected another Total War like game set in the Napoleonic era. How naive I was. This bull**** can not be called game. Next time, I will really think twice before spending my money on an EIDOS "game".

Hey, about the units. They aren't the same. I thought that too. Example: Austrian Musketeers aint stronger than the Brithish Musketeers, cuz when u fight in a battle against the Austrians u'll always beat them because their Infantry arent strong enough for ur Infantry.

auxilla
22nd Oct 2005, 00:54
how in the hell do you capture troops

theenglishdude
26th Oct 2005, 11:11
hey about the first posts, I didnt bother reading the rest...

This is a very good game to say the least, i dont have any specs problems (anymore) and can run this game fine(no lag) and from what ive played (a good few weeks) its very enjoyable and challenging its just what the gaming industry needs, not some first time push-over game :thumbsup:

Im playing RTW now and although im not playing IG its still on my comp kos im gonna be having an urge to continue my Austrian domination. All IG needs is something to keep it fresh e.g more choice of nations Thats IT! Its a grand game, so is RTW, but there tottally different and RTW doesnt stop me playing IG kos there TOTALLY DIFFERENT. You cant slag off IG, its too good and if you think its too alike in troop types well thank god there arent any WW1 strat games out there!Though i would quite like a realistic RPG game (e.g Run from crater to crater while advancing under a creeping barrage)but not one like MOH(medal of honour)

It actually took a good one or two trys as each of the nations (bar France)to get good at it, thats what i love about this game. Mess up the politics or mis-time ever so slightly and your out of there :D

K1ler
27th Oct 2005, 13:34
hey about the first posts, I didnt bother reading the rest...

This is a very good game to say the least, i dont have any specs problems (anymore) and can run this game fine(no lag) and from what ive played (a good few weeks) its very enjoyable and challenging its just what the gaming industry needs, not some first time push-over game :thumbsup:

Im playing RTW now and although im not playing IG its still on my comp kos im gonna be having an urge to continue my Austrian domination. All IG needs is something to keep it fresh e.g more choice of nations Thats IT! Its a grand game, so is RTW, but there tottally different and RTW doesnt stop me playing IG kos there TOTALLY DIFFERENT. You cant slag off IG, its too good and if you think its too alike in troop types well thank god there arent any WW1 strat games out there!Though i would quite like a realistic RPG game (e.g Run from crater to crater while advancing under a creeping barrage)but not one like MOH(medal of honour)

Hello,

I am happy for you. My game has not been on HDD since my first post. I even am not sure if I can find the gamebox. Hmm, maybe I gave it to someone.

As I said, the game was a one big disappointment for me. Even the old Europa Universalis II is better imo.