PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Ottoman Empire?

said_ozcan
9th Jul 2005, 12:12
Hi.I am new in this forum.But Imperial Glory should have included Ottoman Empire also.I cannot select it.Please include Ottoman Empire in your patch.It cannot be denied that Ottoman wat one of the strongest nations in the Europe.

Cpt.HooK
9th Jul 2005, 13:06
The Ottoman Empire exists it is just a minor nation in IG

Mister Nock
9th Jul 2005, 13:11
Somebody modded the game to make spain playable, I'm sure the same could be done for the Ottomans.

officerpuppy
9th Jul 2005, 15:36
Indeed, the file is being hosted on a Spanish website. I suppose, it can be possible to make them playable. I suggest d/l the Spain mod, looking at the code and changeing it so you can play with the Ottomans.

Azharas Knight
9th Jul 2005, 19:02
At the time the Ottoman empire was in decline, its military inferior and influence fading. It was still the 6th power in Europe/North Africa but not really a match anymore for the superior European nations.

laila luger
9th Jul 2005, 21:10
Why can the user just play major powers? It would be nice to be able to play any minor nation - not for conquering the world of course, but to try and survive as a independent nation. Batavia or Hannover, that's what I'd call a challenge! :-)

John Carter
10th Jul 2005, 03:32
It would be rather interesting to play as the Ottomans. The game's "what if?" quality is one of the more interesting things about it, so "what if there was an early 19th century Mustapha Kemal?" to reinvigorate Ottoman power would be fun to try.

Azharas Knight
10th Jul 2005, 08:21
The best game for that would be Europa Universalis II. You can play with any historical nation there and do whatever you like though you can't govern battles yourself.

ObbaJobba
13th Jul 2005, 01:53
Why would you want to play as a Nation that committed a genocide? And it is true that they were declining in power. They aren't a truly strong nation like the people at Eidos start you out with.

5/77 Armd
13th Jul 2005, 02:01
Most nations commited at least some sort of genocide in their histories, whether minor or major. US, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Ottoman/Turkey to name a few. The Ottoman Empire was declining in power but they were still a force to be reckoned with. They were one of the Central Powers in WWI.

Ryoken
16th Jul 2005, 12:48
Why would you want to play as a Nation that committed a genocide? And it is true that they were declining in power. They aren't a truly strong nation like the people at Eidos start you out with.

People play as Germany in WWII all the time. This sounds like you are prejudiced against the Ottomans.

And the Ottomans are very strong. Napoleon landed a small force in Egypt and took it from the Ottomans, this is true. However, he succeeded due to surprise more than anything else. When the French marched up to Acre, they were stopped. Napoleon ran right over Spain, Austria, Prussia, Italy, the Netherlands, and even Russia (defeated only because Russians wouldnt fight or surrender; defeated by snow, nothing more).

The Ottomans were not crushed like that.

monkeytart
17th Jul 2005, 08:00
People play as Germany in WWII all the time. This sounds like you are prejudiced against the Ottomans.

And the Ottomans are very strong. Napoleon landed a small force in Egypt and took it from the Ottomans, this is true. However, he succeeded due to surprise more than anything else. When the French marched up to Acre, they were stopped. Napoleon ran right over Spain, Austria, Prussia, Italy, the Netherlands, and even Russia (defeated only because Russians wouldnt fight or surrender; defeated by snow, nothing more).

The Ottomans were not crushed like that.
in fact, the ottoman empire was one of the greatest empires in middle east, especially during the year around the 1520 when Sulieman the 1st took power, their navy was also considered one of the strongest. they took much of the balkans. but their empire started to decline after that but it still survived all the way until the 20th century, i think it was during ww2 then they collapsed :)

by the way, hasn't anyone ever mentioned the Mongol Empire and Ghengis Khan? believe it or not, the mongols once built the greatest empire on Earth, no offense, but it was the same, or even greater, than the british empire during queen victoria. it crossed two continents, asia and europe, it took almost all of asia and a chunk of eastern europe, it was said that they even invaded the russians and slaughtered them at kiev, they killed so many people that about ten years later, a france came and claimed he had almost seen no one in kiev! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ps. when i mean almost all of asia, i mean it! it even took the middle east and russia!

5/77 Armd
17th Jul 2005, 14:34
The Ottoman Empire was dissolved at the end of WW I just like the Austro-Hungarian and German Empires. That's when they became Turkey and the new government banned the wearing of the distinctive fez since it symbolized the old empire.

The reason no one has mentioned the Mongol Empire is because this is the age of Napoleon and the Mongol Empire was long dead.

btw, hasn't anyone ever mentioned the Mayan Empire? It stretched all the way across the Yucatan. (sarcasm)

=V3=
24th Jul 2005, 04:00
Ummm... werent the Ottomans pretty much the only empire in the middle east at that time? The other mid-east countries would probably be the equivilant to Hanover or denmark in that time period. The point is well taken, though. The Ottoman Janisary (i think thats how you spell it) was the elite of the Mid-east, and a force to be reconned with. :)

Oh, and no offence monkeytart, but, yes the mongols did span two continants. But to say they were greater than the British empire is...well...an overstatement ;) . In fact, I believe that the British were the only empire that touched pretty much every continent of the world (except antartica).

Fun little facts! :D
Asia: Hong Kong
Australia: Australia
North America: New England
South America: Peru
Africa: North and South Africa

"The sun never sets on the British Empire."

5/77 Armd
24th Jul 2005, 16:35
Fun little facts! :D
Asia: Hong Kong
Australia: Australia
North America: New England
South America: Peru
Africa: North and South Africa

"The sun never sets on the British Empire."

Peru was never a British colony or protectorate. British Guiana (later to become Guyana) was the only British colony is South America along with British Honduras (now Belize) in Central America and various Caribbean islands.

=V3=
25th Jul 2005, 04:13
Well 5/77 Armd, I stand corrected. I do remember, however reading an article online about a small mass of British imigrants in Peru. God, this is going to bother me for a week! :confused:
I still stand by the whole British Empire thing though, LOL. (You must bare in mind I am an 18 year old history buff with an addiction to caffein so great, I need it to function properly.) :cool:

liam_IG
22nd Aug 2005, 19:02
the mongols once built the greatest empire on Earth, no offense, but it was the same, or even greater, than the british empire during queen victoria

Actually it was the British Empire that had the largest empire in the world as they controlled a third of the world and they also controlled the trade of the world. it is unlikely that world will ever see such a large empire. (this is one thing in IG that I would like to change to allow a world map.) but even this empire was destroyed by our experience during world war 1 and world war 2

Scar_Face
23rd Aug 2005, 05:18
yes even it isn't consider a major ppower it shouldn't be considerd a minor and should NOT have the ability to be peacefully annexed so lame the ottomons love the austrian hunagrys?!?! and were annexed in my game so unrealistic hunagry and ottomons fought all the time (this period mabey not donno) and one thing that makes me a lil mad is that the major powers ussaly just peacefull annex people barely any wars one thing

hanover almost impossibile it is in the good for england right away and you would be annexed before 2 years lol :P unless you purposly pissed them off.. but yes lil lame and completely perplexing to me as why a computer company would ever limit team playablity i would make them all playable but put hanover:Difficuilty AHHHHHHH
lets just say you won with them if you reach 1794 omg one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! another reason they would be hard as of the tiny nations round central eroupe in this game there the poorest and start with the smallest military :eek:

efthimios
23rd Aug 2005, 14:23
Though I do not experience the above problem, one solution would be to program it so that a country needs to be at 100% for at least X years. Say 5.

Something that I have noticed is that when I do not build any diplomatic buildings in minor countries they rarely get good relations with other major nations as well. Might be a coincidense.

I agree it would be nice to include as playable Spain and Ottoman Empire, heck, even Sweden! In my current game as France (Hard) the Ottomans control the southern russian province and have quite a lot of power,in the early 1800s they have the best relationship with me at 30%
The Swedish have control of Norway and Scotland and are fighting a winning war against Tripolitania. Now, why they would be at war with them is another matter but...

Scar_Face
24th Aug 2005, 03:35
wow diversisfied... mine the nations sit there till they join the empires (other then egypt and tripotliani) hm how do you change those things you stated? hopefully it will fix it pissed me off it was the excact turn i declared war on austria :eek: can you say pwnd?

ST0MPA
24th Aug 2005, 08:06
i got a picture of polish sloop in 1794, they teamed up with russia and ran-a-mok :thumbsup:

efthimios
24th Aug 2005, 12:27
wow diversisfied... mine the nations sit there till they join the empires (other then egypt and tripotliani) hm how do you change those things you stated? hopefully it will fix it pissed me off it was the excact turn i declared war on austria :eek: can you say pwnd?

I am not sure what you mean. Can you please rephrase that?