PDA

View Full Version : artillery explosions look silly in IG

Mickwnl
8th Jul 2005, 12:39
The artillery explosions in Imperial Glory look awfully childish and the casualties make a silly salto in the air like puppets in a cartoon. Strange to see that in a game where everything else was obviously designed to look good. Soldiers should collapse, and sink to the ground when being hit, not fly through the air like idiots.
Further points:
1)-cannonballs flying through the air don't make the game look any better. Just the blasts will do.
2)-artillery needs longer range. You can almost look at the color of their eyes before you get an artillery shot at your enemies.
3)-Battles should be fought at a slower pace. Fire-fights between lines of infantry could in reality last up to twenty minutes (the time needed to spend about 40 rounds of ammo) this makes gameplay more of an experience, looks better and gives you time for tactical options. As IG is at the moment, it feels like an ADD trip (much too fast).
3)-Nice muzzle flashes wouldn't be such a bad idea for the muskets either. I saw them in the early screenshots, but now that I have the game, they seem to be disappeared??

Cpt.HooK
8th Jul 2005, 14:52
Well i like the way the cannonball flies though the air and smashes into enemy and i really like the bounce on the 12 pounders ;)
The Howitzers could definately do with more range and more blood on impact :D

monkeytart
9th Jul 2005, 09:03
Soldiers should collapse, and sink to the ground when being hit, not fly through the air like idiots.

i stronghly disagree with u on that. soldiers are suppose to fly up the air due to the explosion if the shell and the impact of the hit. on almost every military movies u would see soldiers flying in the air after an artillery impact, and that's true.

5/77 Armd
10th Jul 2005, 19:39
i stronghly disagree with u on that. soldiers are suppose to fly up the air due to the explosion if the shell and the impact of the hit. on almost every military movies u would see soldiers flying in the air after an artillery impact, and that's true.

Yes, there is a tremendous amount of force involved in an explosion. The concusion is what propels humans either vertically or horizontally, sometimes great distances. I've seen this first hand.

Skirmisher
12th Jul 2005, 20:52
Yes, there is a tremendous amount of force involved in an explosion. The concusion is what propels humans either vertically or horizontally, sometimes great distances. I've seen this first hand.
Yes, modern explosions, but the average field piece, ie not cannon mounted in fixed placements, only fired a shell about the size of grapefruit and contained an explosive with only a fraction of the power of modern shells. An exploding shell from a six-pounder would knock a fully kitted infantry man off his feet, but not up in the air, and a twelve-pounder's shell would probably only toss him a few feet.

1)-cannonballs flying through the air don't make the game look any better. Just the blasts will do.
A recurring feature of journals and diaries of soldiers from the time is the "pencil-line" of an incoming cannon ball. Napoleonic era cannon had much lower muzzle velocity than today's artillery. If you weren't too far to the side of a cannon, either in front or behind, the balls were VERY visible, and looked like a thin pencil line drawn in the sky. I've seen this effect (from behind the cannon, thankfully!) at a re-enactment, and I'd saw the in-game graphic for this is pretty spot-on!

3)-Nice muzzle flashes wouldn't be such a bad idea for the muskets either.
Yeah, but I'd like to see lots more smoke from each volley. After just a few minutes trading shots, two facing battalions were more often than not firing blind because of the huge smoke screen in front of them. That's where the phrase "Fog of War" came from.

GenMoore
20th Jul 2005, 08:17
I think you will find that in this period of time(Napolionic), there were no explodeing cannon balls, other than Howitzers, and this only by the British arty.

The 6-9 and 12 pounders did not have explodeing cannon balls, so the Impact on Infantry etc would not have the same picture as an explosion, they did however have canister shot for close quarter work, that was messy.

Yes some lost arms,legs and heads, with some cannon balls takeing out three/four files at a time, not many men flew in the air when hit, but would be flung a long way from where they stood originally, or just drop dead. :)

=V3=
23rd Jul 2005, 17:11
I'm still playing the demo, but one thing I really liked about the arty is that, in order to do significant damage to an enemie unit with you cannons, you need more than one battery aimed at him. I mean, we are talking about pre-exploding-shell technology. The whole point of arty back then was to aim slightly in front of your enemy's lines so the actual cannon ball would just roll through his lines taking limbs with it. Hense the "Skipping" action of the ball. ;)

Cpt.HooK
23rd Jul 2005, 21:07
I usually have about 3 or 4 guns in a battery they can pretty much wipe out advancing infantry :thumbsup: