PDA

View Full Version : what a gamepad setup...

mesterial
3rd Jul 2005, 12:19
As every Lego video games, this one supports a gamepad... BUT, it appears to be the first one not supporting either force feedback pads nor even the possibility to setup the controls of a pad (well, at least mine...)!!!! :(

I've a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power gamepad, and when I press enter to set a button with my pad, it chooses immediately the left axe, even I don't touch anything!!! :eek:

Please help me, my pad works well on other games :confused:

(Shame on the producers of this game, who haven't put force feedback in it, dispite of the Lego habit...)
(Am I pretty good with my English, for a French?? :D )

mps
17th Jul 2005, 22:25
As every Lego video games, this one support a gamepad... BUT, it appears to be the first one not supporting either force feedback pads nor even the possibility to setup the controls of a pad (well, at least mine...)!!!! :(

I've a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power gamepad, and when I press enter to set a button with my pad, it chooses immediately the left axe, even I don't touch anything!!! :eek:

Please help me, my pad works well on other games :confused:

(Shame on the producers of this game, who haven't put force feedback in it, dispite of the Lego habit...)
(Am I pretty good with my English, for a French?? :D )
I am having the same problem. This is pretty much of a showstopper. Have you made any progress?

Jumpin_Jebus
19th Jul 2005, 18:04
Do either of your controllers have a sliding key or knob (for turbo or a throttle)? We have had reports of people using controllers with a sliding key feature causes the game to automatically set the button to J1_ZLeft or some variation. Make sure the slider or knob is set to its zero or neutral setting, then try the game again. :thumbsup:

~Jebus

mesterial
21st Jul 2005, 17:07
That's exactly my problem!
BUT, the "sliding key" (the right ministick) is in the neutral position, that's what makes my situation be a problem...
I've tried to install the lastest drivers from thrusmaster.com, but this has unfortunately done nothing.

The controls setup says me this : (I push the stick and I hit enter at the same time, if not, it automaticaly chooses J1 Z LEFT, so I can't choose a button)
when I push the right stick on the left, it writes : J1 Z UP
when I push the right stick on the right, it writes : J1 Z DOWN
when I push the right stick on the top, it writes : J1 Z LEFT
when I push the right stick on the buttom, it writes : J1 Z LEFT !!!!!!
==>can it be possible to have a zero position between the top and the buttom of the stick if the game says that it does not exist???? :confused:

DDiCE
6th Aug 2005, 16:54
I have the same problem with my Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3 controllers. I am trying to get two to work at the same time. I am able to use one at a time though and don't have to calibrate.

DDiCE

DDiCE
8th Aug 2005, 01:09
Got some Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 controllers and they worked flawlessly.

-DDiCE :thumbsup:

claddagh37
30th Aug 2005, 17:05
...does it work right out of the box with LEGO: Star Wars or do I need to program it?

JoeTheZombie
19th Sep 2005, 01:50
You guys may wish to seek a utility called DXTweak2, it can be found here (http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm). It lets you manually calibrate your controller so you can find and eliminate a persistent axis problem.

mm74md
26th Nov 2005, 20:26
Make sure your Gamepads are plugged in and then go to the following directory

C:\Program Files\Giant\LEGO Star Wars Game

There is a file there called SWLEGO.BIN (Should be 1 kb)

Delete this file and restart the game. The gamepads should automatically generate in the controller section

rochester_eric
29th Nov 2005, 02:26
Put me down as another one who is getting the "J1 Z Left" error when trying to configure a gamepad.

I (well, my kids bought... really!) a Saitek 3000RF gamepad which was a great deal for $30 but not a great deal since it doesn't work with LSW.

I tried deleting the SWLEGO.BIN file and that helped get the controller into the settings but once you try to change an option, "J1 Z Left" takes over that entry.

Any other tool does not see any buttons or sticks being moved around. I've tried the dxtweak tool and that hasn't made a difference. What I think I need is a way to disable the Z axis. Saitek doesn't allow that.

So, any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

-Eric

intrepid_soul
29th Nov 2005, 23:22
Put me down as another one who is getting the "J1 Z Left" error when trying to configure a gamepad.

I (well, my kids bought... really!) a Saitek 3000RF gamepad which was a great deal for $30 but not a great deal since it doesn't work with LSW.

I tried deleting the SWLEGO.BIN file and that helped get the controller into the settings but once you try to change an option, "J1 Z Left" takes over that entry.

Any other tool does not see any buttons or sticks being moved around. I've tried the dxtweak tool and that hasn't made a difference. What I think I need is a way to disable the Z axis. Saitek doesn't allow that.

So, any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

-Eric

The Z-Axis is just a slider, or a switch on your game pad. The way to "fix" this issue is to find the neutral state for this slider/switch. Some controllers its in the dead center, others its the extreme left or right. Here is one way to tell you are on the right track, if you have a slider or switch, move it to the opposite extreme, if it is all the way to right move it to the left for example. Now try to configure the controller, you should notice the text change to J1 Z Right, if you do then you know you found the thing that is giving the game input as the the Z axis. The tricky part is finding the neutral spot.

anthonyp
7th Dec 2005, 09:21
Yeah I have a thrustmaster firestorm Analog 3 gamepad and always moving LEFT as well.

Bought this game for my two young kids and they can't play with the keyboard :mad: . Really disappointed with with developers and feel completely ripped off.

Hope someone can help with this problem!!!

intrepid_soul
7th Dec 2005, 19:27
Yeah I have a thrustmaster firestorm Analog 3 gamepad and always moving LEFT as well.

Bought this game for my two young kids and they can't play with the keyboard :mad: . Really disappointed with with developers and feel completely ripped off.

Hope someone can help with this problem!!!

When you say always moving left, do you mean the same issue as above, with it reporting input from the controller as Z left?

Fudai
2nd Jan 2006, 01:59
Make sure your Gamepads are plugged in and then go to the following directory

C:\Program Files\Giant\LEGO Star Wars Game

There is a file there called SWLEGO.BIN (Should be 1 kb)

Delete this file and restart the game. The gamepads should automatically generate in the controller section

Well... this fixed my controller problem very easily... thanks for ending 6 hours of frustration from me and my 6-year old son! :)

However, why is this bug there in the first place? :confused:

MrJimi
17th Feb 2006, 00:18
My problem was that after playing the game with my daughter for several weeks, the game suddenly decided to stop recognizing my gamepads (even though Windows saw them just fine). It was inexplicable -- it was as if they were not even plugged in. Deleting SWLEGO.BIN cured this bug.

I still can't customize the commands, but the defaults work well enough.

intrepid_soul
17th Feb 2006, 21:05
My problem was that after playing the game with my daughter for several weeks, the game suddenly decided to stop recognizing my gamepads (even though Windows saw them just fine). It was inexplicable -- it was as if they were not even plugged in. Deleting SWLEGO.BIN cured this bug.

I still can't customize the commands, but the defaults work well enough.

What's happening when you try to customize it?

hepster62
21st Apr 2006, 08:42
I have just bought a cordless freedom joystick and I to get the J1 Z Left
command when I try to assign keys
I have try to set the dead zone in throttle to no luck, I even thro software
set the dead zone to zero with still no luck

I deleted the .bin file but the default settings are crap.

The must be a program that can edit the bin file to assign to out preference

Not impressed with THE LACK OF PATCHES given the number of copies sold
because it's a great game

Hep

intrepid_soul
24th Apr 2006, 18:08
I have just bought a cordless freedom joystick and I to get the J1 Z Left
command when I try to assign keys
I have try to set the dead zone in throttle to no luck, I even thro software
set the dead zone to zero with still no luck

I deleted the .bin file but the default settings are crap.

The must be a program that can edit the bin file to assign to out preference

Not impressed with THE LACK OF PATCHES given the number of copies sold
because it's a great game

Hep

Alright, the J1 Z left is a common issue with gamepads that have throttles, levers, or switches. The J1 Z Left is saying that the game is reading input from the Z axis which is usually one of these things. You have to do some investigating to figure out which slider/switch/throttle/knob it might be. Put them in an extreme position, suchs as all the way up/down/left/right. Try to configure the controll in game. If the game still shows J1 Z Left, move them the the other extreme position (if left was the extreme, the other would be right). Try to configure again, the game should either work correct now or the message should change to "J1 Z Right". If the game changed it to the "Right" message, then you know you are on the right track. You just have to check each slider/switch/throttle/knob moving back to the setting we started with. Once you found the one that changes from left to right, you now only have to find the netraul position. Usually in these cases, it would be in the center of the extremes.

JoeTheZombie
25th Apr 2006, 13:37
If you contact Giant ( http://www.giantentertainment.com/main.htm ), they will give you a patch that fixes the controller problem quite nicely (even the throttle issues), and adds mouse support. Eidos support simply sucks.

intrepid_soul
26th Apr 2006, 17:25
This is the first I have heard of this. I will check into it.

ekloot1978
27th Jul 2006, 05:52
Yes, to my amazement this patch does exist and Giant sent it to me as well. My xbox 360 controllers for my pc worked with the lego star wars default settings before the patch but I couldn't configure them because everything would get messed up. After the patch I can actually configure my xbox 360 gamepads and I did notice the patch added new mouse support options as well...although I didn't try them out. Eidos or Giant should really post this patch somewhere...it would probably help out a lot of people with certain gamepad configuration issues.

The only problem I still have after the patch (that I had before the patch) is that the game seems to ignore the windows controller IDs. I have a joystick and two xbox 360 gamepads and the lego star wars will only recognize the joystick and first xbox360 gamepad no matter how I set up the controller ID's in windows. I think it just picks out the first two controllers in the windows control panel game controller list (regardless of their controller ID's). So to be able to use both my xbox 360 gamepads...I have to temporarily remove the joystick in the control panel game controller list while I'm playing the game. Its not a huge deal but obviously it would be avoidable if the game used the controllers in the order of their controller ID's...like some other games do.