PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to the old TR games?

2awesome4apossum
1st Jul 2005, 17:48
So until CORE was cut, I was sure that we'd see a TR collection, but since that's very unlikely now, I'm wondering what the future plans for the old series are. The only possibility that seems to make sense to me since CORE is now out of the picture, is releasing them for free download and distribution...

If so, I think we can all agree that we'd like them to be patched and fixed for WindowsXP, come in one nice self-extracting zip file (individually) that includes the installer, and to release an official version of the Level Editor with the add-ons (expansions, whatever you'd like to call them) included. And we can't forget about the "Gold" games.

So what we'd want is:
TR (make a working patch for XP to include, and make stupid 3rd party programs such as Glidos, VDM Sound, and the TRInstaller unneccesary)
TR Gold (same as above)
TR II (patched, fixed for XP?)
TR II Gold (patched, fixed for XP?)
TR III (patched, fixed for XP?)
TR III Gold (fixed for XP?)
TR IV (patched, fixed for XP?)
TR IV Times Level (patched, fixed for XP?)
TR V (fixed for XP?)
TR Level Editor (with add-ons, fixed for XP?)

Anyway, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on, and if nobody does, I'm voicing the opinion of what I'd like even if it is very unlikely.

Treeble
2nd Jul 2005, 01:12
TR (make a working patch for XP to include, and make stupid 3rd party programs such as Glidos, VDM Sound, and the TRInstaller unneccesary)

I disagree. I think you should thank the guys for bothering to get it working on your computer, instead of calling their programs stupid. You don't like them, then don't use them. And don't be able to play the game properly.

maniac44
2nd Jul 2005, 04:49
Eidos (or is SCI, now?) owns the rights to Tomb Raider, not CORE. They (Eidos/SCI) can do whatever they want with Tomb Raider (like let Crystal Dynamics work on the next edition).

Klerik of Kaos
2nd Jul 2005, 05:07
Exactly. I don't think anything will happen to the old TR games and I know for a FACT that they will not make a free download or free "distribution". That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. No gaming company in their right mind would do something like that regardless of the fact that they switched companies.

2awesome4apossum
2nd Jul 2005, 20:47
Exactly. I don't think anything will happen to the old TR games and I know for a FACT that they will not make a free download or free "distribution". That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. No gaming company in their right mind would do something like that regardless of the fact that they switched companies.
You know for a fact? How? Stupid idea? I could give you links to hundreds of games that have been made "public domain" by the publishers. In fact, Bungie just did that with the Marathon games... but stay under your little rock, that's ok.

I disagree. I think you should thank the guys for bothering to get it working on your computer, instead of calling their programs stupid. You don't like them, then don't use them. And don't be able to play the game properly.
The point wasn't for me to call them stupid it was just an expression I was using. I hate using 3rd party programs that add a very unprofessional look to the game. I still do use them, and I'm grateful for them, but wish they were unneccessary.

Godfather
3rd Jul 2005, 17:01
If so, I think we can all agree that we'd like them to be patched and fixed for WindowsXP, come in one nice self-extracting zip file (individually) that includes the installer, and to release an official version of the Level Editor with the add-ons (expansions, whatever you'd like to call them) included. And we can't forget about the "Gold" games.

I don't about you, but I succeeded in having ALL Tomb Raider-games working for WINXP. And I mean ALL Tomb Raider-games:
Tomb Raider 1
Tomb Raider 1 gold
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 2: the golden mask
Tomb Raider 3
Tomb Raider 3: The lost artifact
Tomb Raider: special Times Magazine level
Tomb Raider 4: The last revelation
Tomb Raider 5: Chronicles
Tomb Raider 6: The angel of darkness

And not only are all of them working, but they're working to their fullest graphics and sounds and not a single FMV is cut short. Fact is: I don't dare to format my C:\-drive anymore since it was so difficult getting this all done. :p

Klerik of Kaos
4th Jul 2005, 05:43
You know for a fact? How? Stupid idea? I could give you links to hundreds of games that have been made "public domain" by the publishers. In fact, Bungie just did that with the Marathon games... but stay under your little rock, that's ok.
I know, well I can't say fact but I am pretty sure they won't distribute it because I think that the game is copywritten under law and cannot be illegally distributed (which is punishable to the full extent of the law), unless distributed by the company themselves. Just because other gaming companies put their games out there, it doesn't mean that Eidos will do the same. Every gaming company is their own.

And from what I hear, they are going to scratch out AoD down storylines. Is this true? But anyways, unless it is distributed by the company it is illegal.

And don't come out with some smarty remark about "I didn't say that other people are going to distribute it." I know what you are saying, I don't need an ellaboration.

And stay under my little rock? Dude, I didn't say anything bad (other than "that's a dumb idea" but I wouldn't say that's bad) so I honestly don't need the sarcasm. It is not a very good idea but whatever Eidos wants to do, then let them do it. Besides, they already have compilations for TR's 1-3, not sure about 4-6. So next time, put a little more thought into your comments.

CatSuit&Ponytail
4th Jul 2005, 08:46
Well, now that that's settled... :rolleyes:

Hey, GF, (GF, HEHEHE! :D ) how about giving a detailed description here for us all as to how you managed that. :)

imported_Mark_
4th Jul 2005, 10:41
Well you can use Glidos and VDM to play TR1. Then you can set the TR2 and TR3 executables to W98 compatibility mode, and for TR4 and TR5, just apply a patch. I have all the games running on WXP without any problem.

In Glidos you can even use texture packs from http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/ to improve the game's graphics.

Sophia Leigh
4th Jul 2005, 11:26
Well you can use Glidos and VDM to play TR1. Then you can set the TR2 and TR3 executables to W98 compatibility mode, and for TR4 and TR5, just apply a patch. I have all the games running on WXP without any problem.

In Glidos you can even use texture packs from http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/ to improve the game's graphics.

Thanks for that link TRfans!

imported_Mark_
4th Jul 2005, 11:34
You are welcome. This project is really amazing.

CatSuit&Ponytail
4th Jul 2005, 13:39

How utterly bizzare. I was just there, not even two minutes before I came back here. :o :eek:

I wasn't actually asking because I didn't know, just because I know GF likes to type a lot, and he'd get a good workout going through each one in detail. ;) :)

imported_Mark_
4th Jul 2005, 14:59
LOL :p

But I'm almost new here and I don't know most of you. :rolleyes:

Godfather
4th Jul 2005, 17:41
I guess a computer is very much like a woman. It's beautiful but highly unpredictable! :D :p

I actually didn't do so much to get all the games working on my Pentium 4 with Windows XP.

For Tomb Raider 1 (gold) I indeed used Glidos. I can assure you right now: it's the very, very, very, very, very, very best 10$ I have EVER spent in my entire life!! It makes a rather shabby 1996-videogame suddenly change into this gigantic and magnificent, incredibly astonishing top-notch graphics instant-classic videogame again that makes you respect ánd understand the reason as to why the first Tomb Raider-game may still be the single most important videogame ever created!! GET GLIDOS or get frustrated over the crappy graphics of Tomb Raider 1 ... there is simply NO OTHER WAY! :)

For the rest of the Tomb Raider-games ... well: I simply installed them, tried them out, went to www.tombraiderchronicles.com and Stella's site and did a major search on each Tomb Raider-game individually in order to find patches and other things to upgrade the graphics and quality in general of all Tomb Raider-games.

For example: on one of the above-mentioned internet site, you'll find a fantastic file that'll make "Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation" on PC start 10 times as fast as it normally would do if you wouldn't search for any improved file on the internet.

My advice? Go to these sites and find what you can to make the Tomb Raider-games what they truly should be ......

SUPER-MAGNIFICENT-INCREDIBLY-MINDBLOWING-EXTRAORDINARY-MASTERPIECE-PHENOMENAL-INSTANT-CLASSIC VIDEOGAMES (and still may I add IMHO thé single greatest videogame-saga of all time ... nothing comes close ... nothing!) :cool:

Bye for now

WraithStar
29th Jul 2005, 22:38
Does Glidos make the TR1 graphics better than they would appear on a fully compatible machine? Also, I am curious what it means that you can pay to remove the Glidos logo. Is there a logo superimposed over the gamescreen until you register your copy? I'm currently going to try to get TR1 working with the advanced installer and the XP patch but I am interested in this Glidos program. Thanks :)

Sophia Leigh
30th Jul 2005, 09:04
Does Glidos make the TR1 graphics better than they would appear on a fully compatible machine? Also, I am curious what it means that you can pay to remove the Glidos logo. Is there a logo superimposed over the gamescreen until you register your copy? I'm currently going to try to get TR1 working with the advanced installer and the XP patch but I am interested in this Glidos program. Thanks :)

I'm not sure if Glidos makes that graphics better but I assume it would.

Yeah there is a large Glidos logo that you can pay to register the game and have it removed. Funnily though I only have the large rotating logo on my Unfinished Business levels and not on my normal TR1.

I'm also under the impression that TR1 won't work on 2000 or XP without Glidos - mine wouldn't.

I downloaded all my patches from www.tombraiderchronicles.com - they are a life saver! :thumbsup: :)

Here are two useful links for you if you need help when installing click here (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/tr1/faq/index.html)
and here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=52157)(post 12)

Deckard
30th Jul 2005, 13:30
Running TR1 using Glidos definitively makes the graphics look a lot better - but only when compared to the original, non 3Dfx version of the game. The latter came out a few months after the original release of the game in form of a "patch", a sort of "upgrade" for the game's graphics.

It worked only with 3Dfx Voodoo graphic cards which "understood" GLIDE, a 3D API written specifically for the voodoo chipset. Hence nowadays the necessity to use a wrapper - in this case Glidos - in order enjoy the enhanced graphics version of TR1 with non-Voodoo chipsets. It is astonishing to see which results were obtained at that time using this graphics language :eek: .

But as a result of this, there is a second way to obtain the same result: buy a used 3Dfx GC (Voodoo 3, 4 or 5) on ebay and install it in your PC instead of using Glidos ! :D :D :D Might be a nice experiment to see how a 3 GHz puter running XP behaves with such a prehistoric artefact inside ... :p .

WraithStar
30th Jul 2005, 17:48
I downloaded a bunch of patches from tombraider chronicles and I got TR1 working on my machine:) I tried Glidos just to see what it was, and they certainly know how to ensure that I'll either buy their software or I won't use it :p I don't have a credit card so I just uninstalled it and I'm using the graphics emulator that came with the advanced installer. The game looks great. The sound is still a little scratchy but the voices don't skip in the FMVs or the cutscenes. I'm not sure, but did they update Lara's model? I played the TR games a few years ago on an older machine and I seem to remember her elbows and knees being see-through. Now, however, she looks all in one piece like in TR4 or 5.

EDIT: After I wrote that, I noticed that there are some glitches where I can see through seams in her backpack and joints. It's just not as bad as I remembered it being. Also, when the camera is doing something different (I'm holding down the look key, I'm aiming at enemies, or the camera shows a cutscene of what a switch did), I can see white outlines of Lara, her guns, the gunfire, and various bits of scenery. It's almost like wire-frame vision:p It doesn't bother me too much but I was wondering if anyone else has this too.

foxybunny
8th Aug 2005, 11:14
I only play TombRaider on my playstation, i believe these "Gold" levels i've heard about are only available on the PC is that right?? I wish they were realised with the playstation titles aswell, i'd especially like to play the extra levels for the original TombRaider game. What does everything about that as a release? And do you think it might b possible?

Sophia Leigh
9th Aug 2005, 11:17
I only play TombRaider on my playstation, i believe these "Gold" levels i've heard about are only available on the PC is that right?? I wish they were realised with the playstation titles aswell, i'd especially like to play the extra levels for the original TombRaider game. What does everything about that as a release? And do you think it might b possible?

As a playstation player I wish those levels had been released to platforms other than PC too. I have the six games for playstation but recently bought them all for PC as well as the level editor as it opens up more possibilities. I've been able to download the gold levels for TR 1 & 2, download the save game file from Stella for All Hallows in TR3 (that game was hard enough for me playing on the PS with restricted save games that I didn't bother trying to get all the secrets), and now I can take screen shots which you can't do on the PS.

I personally doubt that Eidos will release the gold levels for the playstation.

I'll be buying Legend for the Playstation as I find it more comfortable playing on that platform but I will be buying for the PC eventually too.

LuxAngel
18th Aug 2005, 16:16
If anyone wants to know what TR1 look like under Glidos, here are some shots that will give you a good idea: http://larashots.com/Glidos.html There are 3 pages of Glidos shots, some of which were taken while using the newer "Xtra" textures as well, for comparison. (*I learned that my host has made some changes recently; I hope my site will not be as slow for you as it was for me this morning.) :(

AnyHOO, I could not agree more with Godfather: 10 dollars? I would have spent far more for Glidos. None of the Mac versions of TR that I played (from TR1 - Chronicles, including the "gold" games), require patches. Very neat. But I prefer playing them on my new PC because the screen is much larger than my iBook's. I was astounded at what TR1 had been reduced to on XP before using Glidos; it was playable, but ummm.... not enjoyable.

Speaking of "freely distributed" games, did any of you know about that huuuuuge mistake with the demo of AOD? It's supposed to have an hour limitation; but if you use the official patches, you can play it eternally. :confused: I downloaded it a week ago, and yah, I've played it for hours. Maybe it conks out after 20 hours. At which point, you'll already have finished the game a couple times. :P

IndyDallasJones
21st Aug 2005, 19:03
Hey, 2awesome4apossum, take heart! I have to agree I see no reason for those 1st 3 or so posters to insult & jump on you like they did. They nit-picked, & put up some kind of hypocritical, self-righteous responses to you & really was totally unnecesary. Your general tone certainly sounded genuine & just with a desire for a complete compilations of those games you like. It sounded like a pretty good feeling about the situation to me. Don't forget people are people, all sorts & you may just fall into a spot where there's certain types that trigger & may swarm on you, lol. And you're right, it doesn't mean they are more 'prim & proper' nor more 'right' in their view than you.

I just posted this because I thought it a good thing, especially when someone is unnecesarily jumped on. Don't let any such people cut your morale!
;) :thumbsup:

Good job 'Possom.'

Treeble
21st Aug 2005, 22:35
Why, thank you. I never said I was more 'right' or 'prim & proper' (whatever that's supposed to mean) than he is, I just wanted to defend the 'stupid 3rd party programs that add a very unprofessional look to the games'. :rolleyes:

Thankfully to those programs I can play TR1 on my system and I'm really glad that a few people took their time to work on things like those. :)

IndyDallasJones
22nd Aug 2005, 01:54
Don't worry about it Treeble!
Adventuring is more fun.
;)

JunoJIm
9th Sep 2005, 02:36
Well, now that that's settled... :rolleyes:

Hey, GF, (GF, HEHEHE! :D ) how about giving a detailed description here for us all as to how you managed that. :)

YES !!! I just started working with XP, and I'm making a library of old games, but I want them in the best shape possible...

Mostly doing Custom Games to DVD's right now... Best of Series...

SethKoopa
11th Sep 2005, 12:25
What I would like is to see the original Tomb raider re-released with all the packaging and installation process of games today. It hardly works correctly on today's computers. Until I found the Advanced Tomb raider installer, I hardly got the game working properly at all. It still isn't - there is no audio for the cut-scenes. An anniversary collection wouldn't be a bad idea - especially the LR fixed for the XP would be great. For reasons that I don't know I'm not able to get the game working at all at the moment. :(

Kwazak
26th Sep 2005, 11:21
Eidos (or is SCI, now?) owns the rights to Tomb Raider, not CORE. They (Eidos/SCI) can do whatever they want with Tomb Raider (like let Crystal Dynamics work on the next edition).

Im confused, so do SCI own the rights to the old tomb raider games i.e. tr1 tr2 tr3 etc. or just the rights to continue the series?

Anywho I agree with the expansion idea of the Level Editor, if core wants to make money from tomb raider yet again they should do that, hundreds and thousands of people would buy it.
I think it should have an easy outfit creator (which you just draw onto the mesh) like the one they had on the sims 1 towards it's end, some new effects, bigger tga texture capability for walls and floors(better graphics in general), make it able to handle alot more polygons, enable more custom moves blah blah blah!

I would camp out to buy this expansion.

GoranAgar
26th Sep 2005, 11:40
Im confused, so do SCI own the rights to the old tomb raider games i.e. tr1 tr2 tr3 etc. or just the rights to continue the series?

No doubt. SCI owns Eidos, Eidos owns the TR franchise. SCI owns the TR franchise.

Kwazak
26th Sep 2005, 11:49
No doubt. SCI owns Eidos, Eidos owns the TR franchise. SCI owns the TR franchise.

So CORE can no longer make anything to do with Tomb Raider anymore and will not receive any money/royalties or nothing?

Well I never!!!

maniac44
26th Sep 2005, 16:32
So CORE can no longer make anything to do with Tomb Raider anymore and will not receive any money/royalties or nothing?

Hardly anyone who worked on TR is still at CORE now. The Smith brothers have left as well as many of the people who worked on TR.

It all really depends on what kind of contract Eidos has/had with CORE.