PDA

View Full Version : Need help from a fellow modder

Mister Nock
30th Jun 2005, 16:22
I wanted to make new skins for Gun Crews. However, the gun crews in IG are the same as the basic line infantry, they use the same *.dds files, so the only way I have managed to make new uniforms for the Artillerymen is by giving them to the Line Infantrymen also, which is not good.

I was wondering if it would be possible for one of you guys who is hot on coding to edit the code so that it looks for skins with a different file name, so rather than getting the British gun crew skins from

"..\Pyro Studios\Imperial Glory\Models\04Inglaterra\Infanteria\Fusilero1.dss"

you can direct it to

"..\Pyro Studios\Imperial Glory\Models\04Inglaterra\Infanteria\Guncrew1.dss"

Instead. (Same for 2 and 3 of course.) That way I could call my skins "Guncrew1.dss" (...2 and 3) and it wouldn't edit the line infantry.

No idea if it's even possible, just wondering.

Cheers.

officerpuppy
2nd Jul 2005, 00:08
Hey there, what files are you looking at? I have not tried codeing stuff or anything, but id like to have an idea of what to look at.

Mister Nock
2nd Jul 2005, 08:49
I have no idea. hehe. I'm more of an artist than a coder, I was just hoping that someone who knows something about the code might be able to find a way of doing it.

Just a shot in the dark really. :o

I may have a look at the code myself and see if I can make some sense of it, but I'll have to use a translator because I know no Spainish at all. :( And those free online Translators aren't always brilliant.

officerpuppy
3rd Jul 2005, 21:06
Have you created a .dds file for your new men?

If so, I belive you can add them into the game without overwriting other files

lets call your men art1.dds.

You can go into the game/gamemodes/batalla/DefunidadesGranbretanya OR whatever country your about to edit.

then go to the line "Sub-unidades de artilleria"

ARTILLERO
[
.PROC "SUB_UNIDAD_ARTILLERIA"
.AI "AI_UNIDAD_ARTILLERIA"
.GRX "Models\00EjercitoBase\Artilleria\Canon\Artillero\Artillero.V3D"
.ANM "Models\00EjercitoBase\Artilleria\Canon\Artillero\Artillero_ANM.sb"
.RANDOMTEX "Infanteria\Fusilero.dds" <-------put your file art1.dds here
.SHADOW "Models\Sombras\Sombra.V3D"

Place your .dds file into the models/YOURCOUNTRY/Infanteria

You can do that with the other files under the artillery section. I don't know if that will work for you, but you can try it out and post back here with your findings.

Mister Nock
3rd Jul 2005, 22:17
Brilliant. Thanks, I'll have a go at that tomorrow. :D

officerpuppy
4th Jul 2005, 01:59
While looking for a solution to your problem I came across something pretty interesting, it turns out England has the texture files for a militia, I wonder why they decided to cut militia from England. I suppose it cant be too hard to place in game since *I think* it's just a matter of copying the excisting code of another countries militia and making it English. Plus adding the militia icon to the menus which isnt so hard either since there is also a picture for them as well which could be copy/pasted on to whatever needs the icon. :cool:

Plus........I found texture files for a lieu, capt,general and marshal I think. They look awesome! I wish they were in game. There is even a horse for each one too I think. Unfortunately since these guys have no .dds files or anything else for that matter so there really is no way to put them ingame.

Mister Nock
4th Jul 2005, 08:48
Yeah, I saw the British militia. I think they might be used in the game when a British City is under seige and they raise a "Patriot Army" against the beseiger. I could be wrong though.

Interesting about the officer textures.

Mister Nock
4th Jul 2005, 09:47
Yay, the Artillerymen skins work! You are the greatest Puppy! :D

And about the officer skins? I just had a crazeh idea;

I assume there is a way of changing the maximum number of men per unit? Well, you will notice that the officer's icon has the number zero on it, perhaps editing the maximum number of men in this "unit" from zero to one will mean you can use the officers in the field.

Just another shot in the dark, I may be talking rubbish, but it might be worth a try.

officerpuppy
5th Jul 2005, 01:28
Tell me where your looking at and I'll have a look at the file. Problem is the officers don't have .v3d files. I think that means there are textures for them but no actual model to mold it on to.

Mister Nock
5th Jul 2005, 08:12
Not looking anywhere, I'm talking theoretically again ;)

As for not having .v3d files; you should be able to use the same horse models from the cavalry units, and you could try using the husar model for the officer's body, might work.

Where did you find the officer skins then, I wana have a look but I couldn't find them. I was gonna just replace the husar with them to see if it the skins fit the husar body and what they might look like in 3D.

officerpuppy
6th Jul 2005, 00:42
They come with their own horse model, I have been trying to add them as infantry but with no success, since they have their own horses, I'll try replacing a cav unit with them, see if that works. Though it it did, it would replace a whole cav unit which is no good.

I found them in:game/gamemodes/gestion/figuras/

then pick any of the five empires. If you pick 00generico, you'll find some .sb files and more textures, I think these are the files for the pieces on the main map.

Update: I tried it out on the Hussar, the horse texture works but its totally messed up, kinda figured since its all weird looking. But the skin I used, the General does not work. All I get is a blank texture. I looked at the properties of the general skin and the husar skin, they have the same dimensions etc, I guess we need a custom model inorder to use these skins. The skin is saved as a .tga, i changed it to a .dds, maybe I'll try to keep it as a .tga though I think I'll get the same result.

officerpuppy
6th Jul 2005, 01:43
OK......after some experimenting, I got the files to work. I found out that the militia model works best because they do not have backpacks molded on to the model.

But, they have no hats so the hat texture wraps around the models head funny, further more, none of the models in game have a tri-shaped style had therfore, unless a custom model is built, the models will look weird.

Cro_Knight
6th Jul 2005, 06:54
Yay, the Artillerymen skins work! You are the greatest Puppy! :D

And about the officer skins? I just had a crazeh idea;

I assume there is a way of changing the maximum number of men per unit? Well, you will notice that the officer's icon has the number zero on it, perhaps editing the maximum number of men in this "unit" from zero to one will mean you can use the officers in the field.

Just another shot in the dark, I may be talking rubbish, but it might be worth a try.
this has already been undertaken by sieur drewry and the DVN|

Mister Nock
6th Jul 2005, 17:23
OK......after some experimenting, I got the files to work. I found out that the militia model works best because they do not have backpacks molded on to the model.

But, they have no hats so the hat texture wraps around the models head funny, further more, none of the models in game have a tri-shaped style had therfore, unless a custom model is built, the models will look weird.

I got it to work fine with the husar model. changed "captain.tga" to "husar1.dds" moved it to the right folder and it works fine, well almost fine, just needs a bit of editing to remove the black line from his face and make the tricorn hat a into shako so it dosnt look silly.

http://www.deadflies.co.uk/martico/captainpreview1.jpg

On another note, my British Gunners are done, I'll upload them to my site in a moment, here's a preview. :D

http://www.deadflies.co.uk/martico/gunnerpreview1.jpg

http://www.deadflies.co.uk/martico/gunnerpreview2.jpg

Mister Nock
6th Jul 2005, 17:25
this has already been undertaken by sieur drewry and the DVN|

Cool, where can I get an update on their progress?

Mister Nock
6th Jul 2005, 18:12
All done.

One of those officers had a hat that looked fine as a shako so I used that, (slightly edited.) Edited the face to bring it into line with the face on the husar model, brought in the original husar sword and fether in hat, and that's it.

http://www.deadflies.co.uk/martico/captainpreview2.jpg

But of course I wouldn't know where to begin with putting them in the game properly.

I tell you what would be great; if you had petty officers (ie. ensigns and leiutanants) actually with the units, and the officers such as generals and marshalls are alone as there own unit of 1 man. (Or perhaps they could have staff officers with them??)

Maybe I'm being to ambitious here, anyway, I can't do any of this, just giving you guys some ideas, I'll stick graphics modding methinks. ;)

Queeg
6th Jul 2005, 19:37
Nice work!

officerpuppy
7th Jul 2005, 02:48
Great work, they look snappy. Now if we could only get the capt and lieut to work with infantry we can get something going. They look preety good mounted. As for your one man unit or staff idea.......I think a whole new unit might have to be created for that, or replace an excisting one like militia or the Hussar. Unfortunately the game likes building militia alot so youd end up with a ton of captain or general units in the game.

With the Hussar unit you tested it out on, did it replace one man or the whole unit?

Send me the steps you took to get them to work, or just the .sb files you overwrote, I'll try and test different things out to see if I can get something going. Although I tried it already and failed, I will try my idea out again since you got things to work properly, since Art have an extra line that represents the soldiers that spawn with the cannon, maybe its possible to add this line to infantry or cav so that the officer spawns with the whole unit.

Mister Nock
7th Jul 2005, 23:06
I only changed one of the three Husar skins, left the other two as normal Husars.

Steps:

...\Imperial Glory\Game\GameModes\Gestion\Figuras\04Inglaterra\Captain.tga

loaded the TGA into DXTbmp, then went "save as -> DDS"

----------

...\Imperial Glory\Models\04Inglaterra\Caballeria

renamed "Husar1.dds" so as not to overwrite.

copied the new "Captain.dds" into this folder and renamed it to be "Husar1.dds"

Ran Game and saw it wasn't perfect and so edited it in DXTbmp, using bits from the original husar and an other officer skin.

There we go; no .sb editing, just renaming the skin files so it loads the right one.

Ok, as for officers on foot, I can easily do a rifles officer, because they often carried their own rifles, so I can use the original rifleman model and edit the skin to give him an officers uniform. But then once again there is the problem of getting them in the game properly.

Perhaps try to find the code that decides the randomising of the 3 skins?? Might be able to edit it to make it load one officer skin into the unit?? :confused: Or there is the thing you said about the artillery spawning code, that could work.

Anyway, I got a week off work so I'll get cracking on some officers skins for you to experiment with. ;)

Queeg
8th Jul 2005, 00:16
Are these mods finished? If so, where can I get them? Thanks.

officerpuppy
8th Jul 2005, 02:29
Not a bad idea Queeg, hey Nock, how about we put our minds together officially and try to put all this stuff into a mod?

I played around a little, I manged to get a unit to load with one skin instead of the usuall three skins. Unfortunately it seems to me that its coded so all units textures change, not just one man. Such as when you overwrote one file, you got more than one unit with the officer skin.

I have not had time to try out the art idea, but maybe you can since you got that week off ;)

.NUM_UNIDADES 3
.UNIDADES
[
[.UNI "ARTILLERO" .POS [100.0 -100.0]]
[.UNI "ARTILLERO_DR" .POS [75.0 300.0]]
[.UNI "ARTILLERO_IZ" .POS [-80.0 300.0]]
]
Theortically, if my idea works, it would look like this:

.NUM_UNIDADES 1
.UNIDADES
[
[.UNI "Captain" .POS [100.0 -100.0]]
]
Now, what I see as a problem is, the game looks into a folder called Artillero, etc... What we would have to do is create a new folder which the game can look to, plus we would have to add all the movement files such as the .v3d file for marching, running, etc.

What you can try is copy and pasting the Hussar stuff into the "captain" folder and then try to add what I did above into the .sb file. I'll try to implement these ideas on the weekend.

Mister Nock
8th Jul 2005, 10:32
Ok, I'll have a go at that.

~~Brainwave~~

About the model to use for foot officers, You'll notice that although the guncrews use the line infantry skin (originally anyway) they dont have muskets!! :eek:

So we can get rid of the officer's muskets, yay , maybe we can also get rid of their packs, then we wouldn't have to use the militia model. Well, I'll play around and see what I can come up with.