PDA

View Full Version : Need help "speeding" the loading up

Zoph
29th Jun 2005, 15:28
Hey all,

I've bought the game a week ago but so far haven't gotten a lot of fun out of it yet.
The loading takes extremely long. My computer has all the minimum (even recommended settings) but only 256 mhz.
The game (both campaign and battle) runs smoothly without any problems but it's the loading in between that's driving me nuts.
If I start a new game or load my game the loading can take up to 5 minutes, the same if I simply want to return to the game menu. (why does loading a simply menu take so long?)
Now this wouldn't be so big a problem if the battles loaded more quickly but they go into the 5 minute region as well. This is regardless whether I'm fighting with 1 regiment or 10.
Thus far I'm playing the campaign rather succesfully with prussia but I've only fought two battles myself so far because this loading is unworkable.

Are there any solutions beyond the obvious one? (buy more memory)
My comp runs Rome: Total War without any problem on the highest settings so it should be able to run this one as well. My battles in Total War take less than a minute to load.

Financially adding more memory to the comp would be hard (I've got a holiday to Egypt and a new college year coming up).

Mike_B
29th Jun 2005, 15:35
My comp runs Rome: Total War without any problem on the highest settings so it should be able to run this one as well. My battles in Total War take less than a minute to load.

Different game, different engine.. you can't compare them technically as IG is newer and uses it's own engine. Aside from the obvious response I'm afraid I can't help, you might want to try turning down some detail if you haven't done so already.

bernadotte
29th Jun 2005, 17:03
check ram, for me with 256m was like you describe, whereas with 512m now much better

Mister Nock
29th Jun 2005, 17:12
Mine takes a good minute or two to load, but five minutes?! ouch. The thing I don't understand is why the menu takes just as long to load as the battles do. What is up with that?

Zoph
29th Jun 2005, 17:56
Turning detail down isn't the solution (I have tried it though). It's really just the loading, since everything runs smoothly once it is done.
That it's made with a different engine than R:TW I know, it was just a comment to show that my comp should not have any problem handling games.

check ram, for me with 256m was like you describe, whereas with 512m now much better

How much better did it get?
Is the loading time now less than a minute?

It's not worth it to get some more memory if the loading would not improve a lot.

Element-UK
30th Jun 2005, 15:07
I got 1gb mem and it takes less than 10 secs so more mem is not a bad idea.