PDA

View Full Version : How do you capture artilery? Take prisoners? etc.

ElevenThirtyOne
28th Jun 2005, 16:12
Hey Guys,
IG is a pretty sweet game. I just have a quick question. I noticed in the begining of the game you get notices saying that allow you can now "capture artilery" or "capture prisoners" after a successful battle... after you research infantry and artillery.

However, I have never seen this option ingame - how can I do this?

Mike_B
28th Jun 2005, 16:35
It happens when the enemy retreats from the battlefield, you can then choose to chase the enemy (with the risk of an ambush). If the enemy had artillery it will be transported to your barracks, the prisoners you can either release or execute.

5/77 Armd
28th Jun 2005, 17:11
Yes, but never execute; it reflects poorly on your sympathy rating. The reverse is true when you release the prisoners. Don't worry, they don't rejoin the enemy army, rather their population equivalent is restored to their county's total population. Plus, it slightly raises your nations sypathy rating accross the board.

The problem I've been having is the naval battle interface when I try to capture an enemy ship. I've almost lost a couple of battles trying to capture ships because my ship doesn't respond right. When I have "board ship" selected I try to click on the enemy ship. But all I ever end up doing is running into him, which further damages my vessel. No ship to ship melee ever ensues and I'm forced to sink my prize. (Which means I essentially have to start from scratch by switching ammo type to lower his hull integrety.)

ElevenThirtyOne
28th Jun 2005, 17:28
Yeah that happened to me too. It seems very difficult to capture a vessel. But I'm soo terrible at naval combat that I always let the computer handle that.

So if I select pursue the enemy what are the chances that you get ambush? And what does that mean exactly? Another battle?

5/77 Armd
28th Jun 2005, 17:44
It's all automatic, you decide if you want to pursue or not and you will be told whether or not it was successful. It seems like it's entirely random, just like when a ship evades your attempt to engage or is caught.

Nial
28th Jun 2005, 17:51
I've found you have to run into the enemy ship before you can board.
It can be tricky. But with a little timing it works pretty well. I only use grape shot and try to get the enemy ship down to about 3/4s crew to ensure a capture. But beware. If the enemy has more experience (stars) than you, you'll need to bring them down to 1/2 or better. And never try to board a ship thats carrying armies. I always lose those battles.

5/77 Armd
28th Jun 2005, 17:59
That's very good information to have, thanks Nial. I guess I'm going to have to practice with the boarding procedure some more. I just quit after several tries. Too frustrating after 15 minutes of working on the crew, to have to start all over again on the hull.

joxer31
28th Jun 2005, 21:20
It's all automatic, you decide if you want to pursue or not and you will be told whether or not it was successful. It seems like it's entirely random, just like when a ship evades your attempt to engage or is caught

When using the board command, your ship has to be near the enemys, you dont have to ram them. I found that out as I have tried your approach and have been frustrated. I thought that by using the capture cursor, the ship would do the rest for me. Not so. You have to steer the ship next to the enemies and then use the board command. Then it becomes automated, once you have done the hard work. :D

Hengist_Sharpe
29th Jun 2005, 12:35
I've found that the board ship option, seems to work when I've rammed the ship and then fired a broadside of grape into it. Then it lets me board, but not before.