PDA

View Full Version : Will you wait for reviews or just buy it?

Mangar The Dark
24th Jun 2005, 17:39
Kind of a pointless thread, but I'm just curious as to whether or not the rest of you plan to wait for reviews of Legend, or if you'll just buy it right away.

I bought TR2 almost immediately because I loved TR1 so much. But man, I was royally disappointed with TR2... so much so, in fact, that I waited a very long time before finally buying TR3.

TR4 I bought fairly quickly, and absolutely loved it, so when TR5 was released, I pounced on it. Sadly, it didn't really live up to expectations, though I loved the level editor.

With AOD, I just had a funny feeling about it. Something didn't feel right. So I waited for a few reviews, and after reading them, I decided to steer clear of the game completely. Finally, I found it many months later on Amazon for $5, so I figured I'd take a chance. It was well-worth $5 (you can interpret that anyway you like!)

So I think I'll wait with Legend. If the reviews bash it for being extremely buggy or anything, I'll hold off for a cheap used copy.
How about the rest of you?

Johnny
24th Jun 2005, 18:34
I'll buy TR: Legend ASAP. I love Tomb Raider too much to wait. :D

Mangar The Dark
24th Jun 2005, 18:58
I won't stretch caveat emptor so far as to let the reviewers, the majority of which are more biasedly zealous on conviction than Virgil's Rhadamanthus, cloud my judgement.

I wouldn't completely trust the reviewer's opinions about gameplay, but if many reviewers pan the game for being bug-infested, I'll be nervous. (hey, it saved me money on AOD!)

LaraAngelOfDarkness
24th Jun 2005, 18:59
I will probably buy Legend the day it hits stores(It really looks that fun, that I can disregard the previous game). If not when it comes out, then for christmas. Not all reviews that come out by "professional" reviewers are a correct representation of the actual game. I can name so many games that I love that got 5's and 6's out of 10, when there was nothing even wrong with them. Many reviewers are biased and will deduct points off if they don't like something about a game(like a character or a part of a plot, heck even a character). The only Tomb Raider I had been dissapointed with after immediately buying, was AOD. The controls were worse than the previous five games and the bugs nearlly cause me to break the disk in half from frustration(like falling out of a level).

Since Crystal Dynamics and Toby Gard are working on the game(and I love TR 1 the best) I only have semi-high hopes for the game. I love TR, it was the first 3d game series I ever played and was the game that got me hooked.

jayel
24th Jun 2005, 19:14
Legend is on my pre-order list at EB. There are a few game franchises, that even when they disappoint, can still make me happy. The TR franchise has been one of them. Even AoD - which left me wondering exactly who had allowed Lady Croft to wander so far into ruin - gave me enough Lara to make the game worthwhile. *shrugs* I guess I was not quite as disenchanted with it as many were.

I am truly counting on CD to get it right, but if for some reason they miss, I am sure I will still find some enjoyment in playing Lara Croft.

Acceber
24th Jun 2005, 19:19
I will buy it straight away. I love Tomb Raider. There's no way I'll be waiting.

What Johnny and Nerevar said. ;) :) Except for the fact that I'll play it straight away too. :D

Mangar The Dark
24th Jun 2005, 19:27
Ah... you people are making it too easy for Eidos!!! :D It's starting to look like they could release a blank CD-ROM and stick the TR logo on it and you'd happily plop down $50 for it! Come on, make them prove themselves... force them to really put out a great TR game. If you say you'll buy it regardless of whether it has bugs or anything, why should they even bother putting any effort into it?

Oh well. I guess I'm alone on this...
:p

johnbegone
24th Jun 2005, 20:33
No, actually your not alone. I'll wait out the hype but eventually buy a cheaper copy like you say. I bought AOD for 2.50 lol.

Deckard
24th Jun 2005, 22:37
I'll wait for the reviews. Absolutely. I'll buy it only if they verbally slice it little pieces and use the word cr@p really, really often :p .
Now in earnest: I prefer playing games myself, rather than having them played by ... somebody or something :rolleyes: . I don't think I'm making it easy for Eidos - I just know that Tombraider will catch my interest as soon as it is out :D .

John Carter
25th Jun 2005, 00:40
Of course I'll buy it without reading the reveiws. The reviewers generally have yet to prove to me that they know what I like.

CatSuit&Ponytail
25th Jun 2005, 09:30
Of course I'll buy it without reading the reveiws. The reviewers generally have yet to prove to me that they know what I like.
Ditto. They all have their own axe to grind, and they all want to show us how clever and jaded they are. I make my own decisions about if I enjoy something or not. I find reviewers just taint the experience.

CatSuit&Ponytail
25th Jun 2005, 09:31
I prefer playing games myself, rather than having them played by ... somebody or something :rolleyes: . I don't think I'm making it easy for Eidos - I just know that Tombraider will catch my interest as soon as it is out :D .
Exactly, well said. :)

Sophia Leigh
25th Jun 2005, 10:00
I will buy it straight away, reviews mean next to nothing to me. I highly doubt if those so called reviewers actually play an entire game prior to making their comment anyway (i.e IGN) :rolleyes:

susan
25th Jun 2005, 14:47
I'll probably get it straight way because I'm a sap when it comes to this game.

One thing that would make me rethink, and this doesn't just apply to TR, is game length. These days I refuse to pay full price for stupidly short games. £30+ for 10 hours gameplay - no way.

There are lots of anti-TR reviewers out there. I personally think a lot of it is a disguised form of misogyny, but whatever I guess they have to write something. :rolleyes:

John Carter
25th Jun 2005, 16:29
There are lots of anti-TR reviewers out there. I personally think a lot of it is a disguised form of misogyny, but whatever I guess they have to write something. :rolleyes:

This is true. Politicos call it "poisoning the well", making outrageous unsubstanstiated claims of badness so much and so often that the listener/readership is completely turned off no matter the reality of how the thing/person/idea actually is.

Multibillion dollar gaming is an industry soon to eclipse moviemaking in overall profitability. It would be naive to think that in addition to the misogynists and folks who just take pleasure in bashing TR games, there are not going to be well-orchestrated "information operations" (read propaganda) campaigns designed by competitors to reduce the sales of some well-known products, and there is no reason to expect that some of that won't show up here as well as on various "review" sites.

Alexlovesguns
25th Jun 2005, 16:41
No way, it will problably come out somewhere else first so i will just wait for real gamers reviews in forums and fan sites, i wouldnt purchase a bad game just because there is a half naked character named Croft in it, lol.
The game looks very promissing so far but my trust was lost a long time ago, im a fan of good games, not digital characters with no personality. I also hope it wont be just a ps2 port like before, if they want €€€ they better deliver quality this time

susan
25th Jun 2005, 17:56
Multibillion dollar gaming is an industry soon to eclipse moviemaking in overall profitability. It would be naive to think that in addition to the misogynists and folks who just take pleasure in bashing TR games, there are not going to be well-orchestrated "information operations" (read propaganda) campaigns designed by competitors to reduce the sales of some well-known products, and there is no reason to expect that some of that won't show up here as well as on various "review" sites.I hadn't thought about it this way before but I think you're probably right. Another day at the corporate Dirty Tricks office no doubt. :rolleyes:

Politicos call it "poisoning the well"If you throw enough mud eventually some of it will stick...

Mangar The Dark
25th Jun 2005, 19:09
I am really surprised at many people don't really care whether or not the game might have serious bugs in it. Most of you are willing to just open your wallets without even knowing if the game will work!

I agree that reviewers' tastes often differ from my own, but I can often still use reviews to figure out whether or not I'll like something. For example, I hate games that are overly difficult, I just don't have the patience for them at all. So when I looked at reviews for Ninja Gaiden, I saw that almost every review loved it, but said that it's very difficult, so I knew that even though the reviewer liked it, I probably wouldn't. And in the case of Tomb Raider, I was really disappointed with TR2, and was very reluctant to buy TR3. But then I read a bunch of reviews (many negative, mind you) that said there was less shooting and more exploring in TR3, so I knew I would probably like the game, and I did. So I don't fully follow the reviewers' verdicts, I try to read into what they like and don't like about the game, and then match that to my own tastes.

As for bugs, reviews saved me from buying several games (AOD included!) I would have been furious if I spent $50 on AOD. But several months later, I was able to get it for $5, and then I didn't mind the bugs so much.

Aside from professional reviews, I also like to read these types of forums. If I see all of you ranting about how badly you want to kill someone at Eidos for releasing a piece of crap, then I'll be glad that I saved my money. On the other hand, if you're all raving about how wonderful it is, it will sway me to take a chance on the game.

Anyway, I guess everyone has their own way of buying things, and it's not a matter of one being right or wrong. I've just felt ripped off too many times in the past to blindly go out and buy something these days purely on faith.

WraithStar
25th Jun 2005, 19:43
I usually don't buy games when they just come out. I'm starting to a little more lately, though. I trust Crystal Dynamics to release a high-quality game. I'll probably buy it a few weeks after it comes out, depending on when I have time to play it. I hate paying full price for a game if it's just going to sit on my shelf for a long time.

Sophia Leigh
26th Jun 2005, 06:28
I am really surprised at many people don't really care whether or not the game might have serious bugs in it. Most of you are willing to just open your wallets without even knowing if the game will work! .........

Well personally I loved all the Tomb Raider games, including AOD. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed AoD; if I had based my decision for buying the game on what other people thought I would have missed out on that enjoyment. As for bugs, I'll play the game on playstation first anyway so that is irrelevant.

Acceber
26th Jun 2005, 11:35
As for bugs, I'll play the game on playstation first anyway so that is irrelevant.

I play on consoles too... only buy the Mac version (if available!) when/if I want some screenshots. ;) But, sadly, bugs are on PS as well. Problems with loading new levels, sticking, I can think of some for AOD although I can't remember the specific ones. Hmmmm. Bad memory. ;)

I've experienced a few in Champions of Norrath... problems with exiting inventory screens and having to restart the PS2, accessing new levels, problems with using recall potions - all of which could possibly have been resolved with greater testing, as with everything I suppose. But my point is, console gamers aren't safe from bugs. ;) :) In fact, if there is a patch for a particular bug then PC/Mac users are the only ones who can benefit from it... I think I'm right in saying that. Consolers can't download a fix for their problem. (?)

Although sometimes bugs aren't bad.... remember the corner bug? :D

Deckard
26th Jun 2005, 12:13
AOD was definitively far better than the reviewers painted it. Sure, it had "bugs", but so have many games. This is no news at all, games had bugs in the past and will have bugs in the future. The highly acclaimed SC3 has had a few of those - no prob at all, isn't it ;) ? Actually - at least IMO - it weren't the bugs that ruined AOD's reputation. It was the fact that it was unfinished, and thus very hard to rate fairly, even if someone had the intention to do so :rolleyes: .
Maybe reviews work with cars, but even in this case I will have a test drive before I buy it. During the test drive I will then decide whether the correct positioning of the ashtray or the road handling is more important to me :D .

CatSuit&Ponytail
26th Jun 2005, 13:07
This is true. Politicos call it "poisoning the well", making outrageous unsubstanstiated claims of badness so much and so often that the listener/readership is completely turned off no matter the reality of how the thing/person/idea actually is.

Multibillion dollar gaming is an industry soon to eclipse moviemaking in overall profitability. It would be naive to think that in addition to the misogynists and folks who just take pleasure in bashing TR games, there are not going to be well-orchestrated "information operations" (read propaganda) campaigns designed by competitors to reduce the sales of some well-known products, and there is no reason to expect that some of that won't show up here as well as on various "review" sites.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon2.gif I really believe that is part of the trouble AOD had. It was partly a campaign against the game, coupled with the game's obviously unfinished state that spurred the very painful and disgusting antics in the AOD forum with unrepentant bashing that spoiled what should have been a pleasant experience for me and countless others. Hence the zero-tolerence stance being taken here with this upcoming release. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon4.gif

I've never been a sheep to follow what others say or rant (about a game, a movie, a religion, a political view), one way or the other, I will pay for a game that interests me no matter how many times strangers say it's crap. Reviewers are bought, and we all know that there are trolls who get their jollies in trash-talking the flavour of the week. They and their mob mentality can hang. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

midroth
26th Jun 2005, 14:56
I'll buy it and make a review, for me later.

Sophia Leigh
27th Jun 2005, 01:46
I play on consoles too... only buy the Mac version (if available!) when/if I want some screenshots. ;) But, sadly, bugs are on PS as well. Problems with loading new levels, sticking, I can think of some for AOD although I can't remember the specific ones. Hmmmm. Bad memory. ;)

I've experienced a few in Champions of Norrath... problems with exiting inventory screens and having to restart the PS2, accessing new levels, problems with using recall potions - all of which could possibly have been resolved with greater testing, as with everything I suppose. But my point is, console gamers aren't safe from bugs. ;) :) In fact, if there is a patch for a particular bug then PC/Mac users are the only ones who can benefit from it... I think I'm right in saying that. Consolers can't download a fix for their problem. (?)

Although sometimes bugs aren't bad.... remember the corner bug? :D

I guess you are right but I'm also lucky enough not to have experienced the bad bugs. Two bugs that I have used to my advantage come to mind though, TR5 VCI hit switch sidestep left, back flip and crawl backwards and climb off ledge (which is actually blocked by the window) to get the iris, TR6 in one of the rooms near Carvier's office you can get gas masks from one of the cabinets if you crouch down to the right in front of the cabinet and press action. I must admit too that I have never used the corner bug, I've only heard of it and to be honest I don't know how to use it but that doesn't bother me.

Trinity34
27th Jun 2005, 03:52
Never have listened to reviews. Will buy it when it comes out.

Acceber
27th Jun 2005, 07:08
TR5 VCI hit switch sidestep left, back flip and crawl backwards to get the iris, TR6 in one of the rooms near Carvier's office you can get gas masks from one of the caninets if you crouch down to the right in front of the cabinet and press action. I must admit too that I have never used the corner bug, I've only heard of it and to be honest I don't know how to use it but that doesn't bother me.

Hmmm... that last bug I wish I'd known about when replaying recently..., and the first one, well, I'll be replaying that soon too, so thanks! :D

The corner bug is fun for getting onto the mansion roof or running around the top of the temple at the bottom of the slope in TR3, first level. :) It involves standing in a wall and jumping. :D If you want to experiment... Corner Bug (http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/goodbugs.html#cornerbug) .....

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2005, 12:58
Okay, at first I thought you were all insane for buying things without researching them first, but I guess I'm guilty of the same thing with one or two bands that I like-- if they have a new album, I'll buy it without waiting for reviews (of course, an album is a lot cheaper than a game!)

But some of you crack me up with your conspiracy theories about how the entire game reviewing industry is hell-bent on making Tomb Raider look bad! lol! I just don't see why completely unrelated publications, tv shows, websites, etc would all conspire against the franchise. What is there to gain from that? Seriously, I enjoy the TR games a lot, but in spite of that, I can look at it objectively and see that the franchise has stagnated, and I can understand why reviewers feel compelled to point that out. I think one of the main problems is that the first game captivated so many people because it felt fresh, and subsequent games have felt anything BUT fresh-- it's been the same rehashed experience for 5 sequels. Again, since I happen to enjoy that experience, I don't mind playing it again and again, but I can see why others may be bothered by the fact the TR continued to use a Lego world environment (with only right-angle turns!) when every other 3D game out there has developed far more advanced gaming worlds. I think I first really noticed just how outdated the TR engine is when I started using the level editor. The limitations became very obvious, and there types of levels that I wanted to design which were just impossible, but which existed in other games.

So, anyway, I don't think reviewers are all conspiring to bash TR... that just doesn't make sense. I think they just genuinely feel that it's time for TR to advance with the times.

GoranAgar
27th Jun 2005, 13:36
I just don't see why completely unrelated publications, tv shows, websites, etc would all conspire against the franchise.
If it comes to media, nothing is unrelated anymore these days.

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2005, 13:53
If it comes to media, nothing is unrelated anymore these days.

Okay, even assuming that they are remotely related, why would they all band together to bash TR? What do they gain by it?

In most cases, I've noticed that magazines actually unduly PRAISE games, particularly in previews. I assume this is because if a magazine can tell the reader, "Hey check it out... there are a ton of really great games on the horizon so you better keep buying our magazine to learn more about them!!" then the magazine's circulation stays high.

But what does a magazine gain by unjustly bashing a game? It just doesn't make sense to me. As long as there are good games coming out, people stay interested, and people want to buy more magazines about these good games. So if reviews are going to be skewed, wouldn't it be smarter for a magazine to write a glowing review of TR (regardless of its quality) and then the next month, after everyone ran out and bought a copy of the game, they could run an "Exclusive Strategy Guide!!" so those same people feel compelled to buy the next issue? If they just trash the game, it doesn't allow for much follow-up material.

xbaa
27th Jun 2005, 14:45
I bought all my tombraider games almost immediatly without reading or waiting for any reviews and I was never disappionted by any of them even AOD (I liked playing with kurtis - the controllers were great , I had the pc version so i changed them - i started playing the game after all the patches were released so I didn't have any problem with bugs in the game) so I think Legend will porbably be the first game that I will ever preorder.

WraithStar
27th Jun 2005, 15:27
I'm considering pre-ordering Legend myself:) The first game I ever pre-ordered is technically Prince of Persia 3 but maybe Legend will come out first so Legend will take the honor:p If the reviewers and the forums complain about tons of bugs (like with AOD) then I will wait for patches to come out before I buy the game. I got AOD very late but I got to play it from the beginning with the patches applied so I only experienced a few bugs (like having to dumb down my computer's sound to avoid the chipmunk-speak :rolleyes: ).

susan
27th Jun 2005, 15:44
But some of you crack me up with your conspiracy theories about how the entire game reviewing industry is hell-bent on making Tomb Raider look bad! lol! Nobody is saying the ENTIRE industry. Honestly does everything have to be either a zero or a hundred, everything or nothing??? Why have you read something into it that's not been said? :rolleyes:

It's entirely plausible that some companies may wish to slur their competitors using whatever means available to them - including Dirty Tricks campaigns. For example, BA against Virgin Atlantic. Hidden behind the anonymity of the internet there are numerous ways to promote anti-whatever product-messages disguised as "unbiased review/informed opinions".

There doesn't have to be an "Everybody's in it" conspiracy for an underhand campaign to have an impact.

There are lots of reviewers out there who are good reviewers, who obviously try to give an impartial opinion on a game's good and bad points as they see them. AoD in my opinion deserved plenty of the bad reviews that it received.

But on the other hand, you only have to dip into the numerous TR reviews handed out over the years to see that there are lots of anti-TR reviewers out there. People who just want to slag this game off come what may.

Their reasons are probably many and varied.

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2005, 16:02
Nobody is saying the ENTIRE industry. Honestly does everything have to be either a zero or a hundred, everything or nothing??? Why have you read something into it that's not been said? :rolleyes:

"Everything?" Why does everything have to be everything, zero or a hundred? I'm only talking about this one topic, not everything! :D

Anyway, sorry if I read more into it, but when I see people talking about propaganda campaigns and whatnot, it all just starts to seem a bit silly. Yes, some people may not like TR for whatever reason, and obviously that leaks into their reviews. But that's what reviews are-- the reviewer gives her or her opinion on something. And that's why, as I said before, I don't rely solely on the reviewer's verdict, but rather on how he/she arrived at that verdict.

Their reasons are probably many and varied.

I already stated how a magazine could potentially benefit from giving positive reviews, but how could they benefit from giving bad reviews? Aside from the reasons I listed above, I imagine it would also cut into advertising revenue, which no magazine wants to do.
(btw-- I'm not asking this to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely curious.)

CatSuit&Ponytail
27th Jun 2005, 16:15
Well, with AOD I know what I saw. New members who didn't want help or anything, they just wanted to mouth off about how the game sucked. With every single post, they'd bash it, until the only thing one saw were negative threads. Now, come on, the game wasn't THAT bad. Unfinished, yes. Buggy? Sure. But the game itself was fun and beautiful, and didn't deserve that constant hammering.

Johnny
27th Jun 2005, 16:22
Well, with AOD I know what I saw. New members who didn't want help or anything, they just wanted to mouth off about how the game sucked. With every single post, they'd bash it, until the only thing one saw were negative threads. Now, come on, the game wasn't THAT bad. Unfinished, yes. Buggy? Sure. But the game itself was fun and beautiful, and didn't deserve that constant hammering.

I agree 100%! :):thumbsup: AOD wasn't the best game of all time, nor was it the worst. And it was definitely pretty to look at. :D

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2005, 16:39

I agree that AOD wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I actually enjoyed some of it quite a bit (though I never finished it.) But I was lucky, and it worked properly on my system, with just a few graphic glitches here and there. Also, since I only paid $5 for it, I could tolerate any imperfections. However, for people who paid full price and couldn't view the cinematics, or who had trouble with the sound, I think they were justified in complaining.

susan
27th Jun 2005, 17:25
"Everything?" Why does everything have to be everything, zero or a hundred? I'm only talking about this one topic, not everything! :D
Why you little... :D :p

I already stated how a magazine could potentially benefit from giving positive reviews, but how could they benefit from giving bad reviews? Aside from the reasons I listed above, I imagine it would also cut into advertising revenue, which no magazine wants to do.
(btw-- I'm not asking this to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely curious.)This is your example not mine. I was always thinking more on the lines of the internet where it's much easier to act in a scurrilous way.

The print media is harder to manipulate for a variety of reasons. I agree with you it'd definitely be harder to orchestrate a campaign here.

But, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen on occasion though.

Laraman
27th Jun 2005, 17:49
I'll buy it straight away. Obsessive fanboy-ness tends to do that to me :D I do like to make my own mind up, rather than listen to one person's opinion from a magazine or website (which is why I'm more likely to read P2 where they have one main reviewer but all 4 of their game journalists give their score and opinion, and they average the score for the game).

I usually read reviews afterwards, just to read up on it. Death by Degreesgot only average reviews but I enjoyed it and would have placed it in the 80/90% area.

Reviewers aren't my brain :cool:

Alti
29th Jun 2005, 02:32
I'm definately going to rush out and buy it when it's released. The screenshots that I've seen and of some of the articles I've read, the game sounds like it's going to be great!

socom
1st Jul 2005, 20:59
I know I should say, "Yes, I'm going to buy it!" But I won't because I want to make sure that the game is worth the money - the fifty big ones I gotta put out.

Now I'm sure the game will be totally rad :D and all that, but man, I feel like I was
bamboozled, duped, swindled, whatever the case may be...after I purchased AOD.

So I will probably rent it first and then buy it if I see fit.

Yeah, yeah, I hear y'all, where is the faith? Hmmmmm, lol, well if herstory can repeat itself, way back from the old days, Lara will be worth every penny. :)

Yes it was. http://socomseven.homestead.com/files/nwsml4/grinang.gif ;)

PaulaCroft
3rd Jul 2005, 02:23
I have already read enough critics until the moment, good and bad and, in all ways I will buy it yes or yes.
I don't care critics, because I am the fan (we're the fans), therefore I will classify it as such.
Anyway, I will buy it without reading nothing else :p

officiallydead
9th Jul 2005, 02:13
I can hardly stand the wait right now, so as soon as it comes out I'm going to get it! (As long as I have enough money for it, of course.) It's nice to have some imput from the critics, but I usually ignore them for the most part because, in the end, I'm the one who's going to be playing the game so I'll have to make that decision for myself. :D

EddyBones
9th Jul 2005, 03:42
Only if I can spare the money. I'm a poor college student...

angelic_layer_tamayo_fan
9th Jul 2005, 15:55
I already have mine pre-ordered at GameCrazy :)

I totaly agree with ya CatSuit&Ponytail
Tomb Raider Angel of darkness wasnt all that bad to me it was realy fun and chalenging i didnt even have any bugs in mine lol did anyone else get 2 pistols my friend can only get one. :eek:

Alti
9th Jul 2005, 19:05
I only had the one pistol and the game was buggy. But I still enjoyed playing it. AOD I thought had some great graphics and storyline.

WraithStar
11th Jul 2005, 16:53
I had a few errors with AOD here and there. I had to dumb down my PC's sound card to get rid of the "chipmunk speak." With the patches applied, though, it was a decent game. I would have been very angry if I paid full price for it, though. The controls were clumsy and I didn't like the combat at all. It looks like Legend won't have those issues although it's really too early to tell. Here's to hoping :)

pzfaust
13th Jul 2005, 19:20
not one to wait and let others decide for me..will purchas at first opportunity..

can anyone direct me to proper support to access the legend sight..tried to enter site but nothing happens..
tks
pdog

Warrior Squirrel
13th Jul 2005, 21:33
Having purchased all the games as they became available here in New Zealand I'm planning on buying Legend as soon as it becomes available too. Mind you I've sometimes had to specially order a Tomb Raider title as most of the time the video game stores don't seem to carry any of the Tomb Raider series. I put this down to catering only to the young adolesent male section of the market :rolleyes:
AoD? I've played part of it until my daughter decided she wanted to play it too and I've not seen my copy of AoD since. According to my daughter who has played AoD through several times and is presently studying for a degree in Computer Science at university it's a really great game. From my own brief experience (sigh) I found AoD to be a very different experience as compared with the earlier titles, BUT I certainly wasn't turned off the game just because of the new engine.
If anything it was TR II that I had the biggest love/hate relationship with. It was TR II that made me seek out the cheat codes so I could equip Lara with Uzis and a Grenade Lancher as her principal weapons. My playing style was a 'for @!#%$ sake bog off!' to all the baddies so Lara could get on with the interesting exploring and problem solving stuff.

cjhilljack
13th Jul 2005, 22:12
I can't wait for TRL to come out as it is! I'm so excited that we will finally have a new game. I will buy it as soon as it's available. Normally, I wait for a game to be out for a bit, just to pay the lower price, but that won't be the case here.

Incidentally, I am a PS2 player, so bugs aren't really an issue.

LuxAngel
25th Jul 2005, 22:41
...I bought TR2 almost immediately because I loved TR1 so much. But man, I was royally disappointed with TR2... so much so, in fact, that I waited a very long time before finally buying TR3...
*Is shocked!* LOL -- TR2 was my 1st TR game; I got a demo of it in 2000, but didn't play the full version until 2001. AnyHOO, wasn't TR2 considered a great game when it was new? (I still think it is). ; ) What disappointed you?

...I won't stretch caveat emptor so far as to let the reviewers, the majority of which are more biasedly zealous on conviction than Virgil's Rhadamanthus, cloud my judgement...
Same here.

...What Johnny and Nerevar said. ;) :) Except for the fact that I'll play it straight away too. :D
Yes. I can't imagine waiting. Game is on the shelves = me at the store.

...I make my own decisions about if I enjoy something or not. I find reviewers just taint the experience.
You beat me to it. : D Reading another's opinion cannot replace my own judgment. This fact is reinforced each time I take great pleasure in a movie or game that received poor ratings.

I'm sure this is what happened with AoD. For a while, I felt that I was the only fan that actually appreciated using the analog stick (no more hand cramps : p), and I sensed no "clumsiness" at all. I experienced only one bug (which was great fun) -- and the game ran smoothly.

However, I realized that a mantra was running in the back of my mind as I was playing: "This game sucks... crippling bugs... [insert whatever negativity you read; that was probably one of the things I was thinking]"

...And so, I kept waiting for something terrible to happen, even though I was thrilled with the plot and completely engrossed.

...Just goes to show.

... TR5 VCI hit switch sidestep left, back flip and crawl backwards and climb off ledge (which is actually blocked by the window) to get the iris...
Mum... NOW you tell me! lol I spent such a long time on that bit. Thanks for the tip! ; )

Sophia Leigh
25th Jul 2005, 22:52
Mum... NOW you tell me! lol I spent such a long time on that bit. Thanks for the tip! ; )

LOL! I did too the first time I played it, it was one of my most frustrating tomb raider moments. I discovered the bug later (I think I read it on Stella's site) and happily used it the second time I played it after I got tired of Lara running down those stairs like an old drunk several times. ;)

.chio.
15th Aug 2005, 00:51
I'll just buy it, the best reviewer for the games I want to play is me, myself!

and I enjoyed EVERY tomb raider game, even AOD :D which gave me the impression of being a remake of the original series more than a sequel :p