PDA

View Full Version : The "I cannot post on the Official IG forums" Thread.

giskard
22nd Jun 2005, 22:06
Hello all.

If you cannot post in this forum but can login then follow the instructions below.

Register for the forums on the site below. Its a good site so its worth registering anyway.
http://forums.tafn.info

Then post your username for this forum in the thread on that site called "Cannot post on the Official Imperial Glory Forums Thread". Here is a direct link to the thread that you can use after you have registered there.
http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3003#3003

Hopefully one of the Eidos Admins will monitor that thread and fix your account. I am not able to fix it for you nor can I promise you they will even look at that thread. But considering emails to Eidos do not work and no official way to contact them seems to work either. Im afraid this is the best I can do as forum user.

Hopefully it will help you out.

Giskard

imported_mike_g
22nd Jun 2005, 22:10
Since when has 'no official way to contact Eidos' been the case? When have you emailed me? Did I lose the message? jacw has answered his correspondence. I have answered mine. If a message got blocked and I haven't seen it. I apologize. You should also be able to fill out a request for technical support on our website, and it will be answered as soon as is possible by our Customer Support department.

By the way, thanks for setting up that thread. See the next message in this thread for why.

imported_mike_g
22nd Jun 2005, 22:13
Incidentally, I routinely handle requests from individuals who cannot post on the forum. The problem lies, 99% of the time, with the confirmation email. Whenever a new member registers on the forum, we send that person a confirmation email. The spam filter for many users' ISP's will catch that email and treat it as spam. Without that email, you will not be able to register. Anyone who has that problem should email community@eidos.com.

I will also keep an eye on the thread that Giskard kindly created to help people with this problem.

timetraveller
22nd Jun 2005, 23:00
I had the same problem, Mike, until some kind soul over at TAFN relayed the info to you guys.

All in due respect, but in frustration of many, the only accessable e-mail address over here is the forum admin e-mail addy (forumadmin@eidos.com <forumadmin@eidos.com>), who never answers. community@eidos.com I've never seen a reference to, anywhere. I still can't find it. PMs and access to profiles (to get e-mail addresses which may help) don't work until you get that golden confirmation message. If you don't have the private e-mail addresses of those you mentioned, you are stuck.

If the Eidos confirmation e-mail is being intercepted as spam, respectfully, again, Eidos needs to rewrite it so it doesn't get clipped. I am not alone. There are a ton of people who are having this problem.

TT

giskard
23rd Jun 2005, 05:09
Mike G:

I do not mean to get anybody in hot water here but it is a problem for users. A very very frustrating problem and a lot of people appear to affected. For those effected none of the email address on the site get a response. There is no way to contact Eidos without forum access.

Users can login, request new passwords but thats about it. They cannot even change their passwords later or edit their accounts.

They can however read the forums, thats why the thread views vs posts has a very odd ratio here.

In case it helps, here are the only emails I got from Eidos when I had that problem. Everything else failed to arrive.

The first email address i tried was this one.
forumadmin@eidos.com

I forget the other one.

I have removed my email address from the email below and messed up the php url info just in case its private link for my account info. I do not want any spam or to find my account hijacked some how.

IF you need somebody who has had this problem to test anything, let me know. I'll be happy too do it.

To: Nospam
Subject: Your new password for Eidos Forums

Hello,

As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

Username: giskard
Password: XXXXXX

To change your password, please visit this page: http://forums.eidosgames.com/XXXXXXX(removed by giskard)

Regards,
Eidos Forums team

To: Nospam
Subject: Your login details for Eidos Forums

Hello,

You have requested to reset your password on Eidos Forums forums because you have forgotten your password. If you did not request this, please ignore it. It will expire and become useless in 24 hours time.

To reset your password, please visit the following page:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/login.php?(removed by giskard)

When you visit that page, your password will be reset, and the new password will be emailed to you.

Your username is: giskard

To edit your profile, go to this page:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/profile.php(removed by giskard)

Yours,
Eidos Forums team

Giskard

giskard
23rd Jun 2005, 05:18
Nearly forgot.

I have full access to the spam filter on my ISP, My ISP has a personal filter for users to set up and view blocked email and the other email I used was from my own website which is run on professional servers so as you can imagine, i have full access to that filter too.

Other programs i run locally that intercept emails are

Spam killer and Mcafee anti virus v8 (Dat files are auto updated).

Giskard

Sir Harry Flashman
23rd Jun 2005, 16:39
I had the same problem. Set up an account and didn't get my actiavtion email.
I emailed community@eidos.com and Mike got back to me right away and got me set up.
Thanks Man!

imported_mike_g
23rd Jun 2005, 17:42
Hi Gents,
The problem was we recently had a change in who was in charge of the forum, and we neglected to reset the 'forumadmin' email address to forward messages to that person. D'oh!! (unlike certain authority figures in the world, we here at Eidos are in fact capable of admitting to mistakes...) The situation will be rectified shortly, and your messages should be going to the correct people. Sorry about the trouble.

One other thing to remember, and I don't mean to talk down to anyone, but even if you have gone through all the correct steps, if you do not have cookies allowed, I don't think you will be able to post on the forum.

sick
23rd Jun 2005, 17:57
It also happens alot that people do get the activation e-mail, but can't post after having their account activated. You'll probably slap yourself in the face when you hear the simple solution:

1. Go to the internet connections control panel
2. Search for the tab "Privacy"
3. Set cookie settings to "Accept All Cookies"
4. Login to the forums
5. Change the cookie settings back to its default
6. Start posting, but don't spam ;)

There is no need to repeat this each time you visit the forums. Unless you of course use another computer, or delete your cookies.

Mike, I strongly suggest you change the e-mail addresses on this forum linking to forumadmin@eidos.com asap. People who miss this thread, will never get their account activated. It would also be nice if moderators get the right to activate someone's account. They have the right to ban, so why not activate? ;)

Thanks for making this thread, giskard. I've changed the link leading to the forum a little, so it's shorter, and easier to remember. :)

imported_mike_g
23rd Jun 2005, 19:04
Uhhh, did you read my previous post? I told people they need to have cookies enabled, and that we are changing the emails.

sick
23rd Jun 2005, 19:53
When I started typing my reply you didn't posted that yet. So I missed it. :rolleyes:

imported_mike_g
23rd Jun 2005, 19:57
When I started typing my reply you didn't posted that yet. So I missed it. :rolleyes:

D'oh!! :rolleyes:

giskard
24th Jun 2005, 21:51
That is Great news.

Thanks guys.

There is one new name on the list in that other post i made, not sure if you have seen it.

http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?t=356

I assume Hengis's account was sorted, the other guy was souljar4christ.

Giskard

sick
24th Jun 2005, 22:46
but don't spam ;)

D'oh!! :rolleyes:

*sigh* :rolleyes: ;)

I got it posted in the moderators section, giskard. We have a thread there where we list the names of people who haven't received their activation e-mail. From there it's up to one of the admins to activate the accounts. Me, @m and mike_g will post someone's name from the TAFN forums on the right spot (the mod section) so no need to post it here every time. :)

giskard
25th Jun 2005, 12:56
Hi Sick:)

Ok NP.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Giskard