PDA

View Full Version : Regular moany, groany grunts in Legend?

Klerik of Kaos
21st Jun 2005, 21:02
Ok. Lara has always had those nasty, weird groaning, moaning, grunts when she's climbing up a rope or when she climbs on top of a ledge which in my opinion sounds like she's doing "the nasty" if you know what I mean. So I was wondering if she has those in TR:L? I mean, that's the only thing that would make me not want to play the game. I think that maybe they should skip the grunts in this game, or make them less "intense" because it sounds totally inapporpriate. How do you guys feel about the grunts that she had from TR1 up until TR:AoD? Hopefully they will make it not seem so sexual this time...

enoch
21st Jun 2005, 21:27
Can´t really say. I usually grunt myself when playing the games...

Trinity34
21st Jun 2005, 21:46
Can´t really say. I usually grunt myself when playing the games...

Oh really? What makes you grunt? :D

@Kleric - If you watch/listen to the first Legend trailer she grunts when she is jumping backward on those three slanted surfaces. Let me go get a screenshot...

Here it is..

http://img285.echo.cx/img285/180/7898zj.jpg

LaraAngelOfDarkness
21st Jun 2005, 21:54
Ok. Lara has always had those nasty, weird groaning, moaning, grunts when she's climbing up a rope or when she climbs on top of a ledge which in my opinion sounds like she's doing "the nasty" if you know what I mean. So I was wondering if she has those in TR:L? I mean, that's the only thing that would make me not want to play the game. I think that maybe they should skip the grunts in this game, or make them less "intense" because it sounds totally inapporpriate. How do you guys feel about the grunts that she had from TR1 up until TR:AoD? Hopefully they will make it not seem so sexual this time...

Ok, you try to climb up a rope hanging from a ceiling and see if you don't grunt from trying to to maintain holding your own weight. Mostly every game created has a character grunt when they climb and object.

Trinity34
21st Jun 2005, 21:56
I was just thinking... since Lara grunts in the trailer wouldn't that mean they have someone to do the voice of Lara already? :confused: :)

Laraman
21st Jun 2005, 22:04
It could just be a "pre-rendered" grunt, one they already had on their systems from other software or games. But it's most likely they have a voice. And if you listen to the 13 Minute footage from gamespot, you hear Lara grunting when she jumps at some parts.

Johnny
21st Jun 2005, 22:28
Ok, you try to climb up a rope hanging from a ceiling and see if you don't grunt from trying to to maintain holding your own weight.

Exactly! :rolleyes:

Klerik of Kaos
22nd Jun 2005, 02:18
Ok, you try to climb up a rope hanging from a ceiling and see if you don't grunt from trying to to maintain holding your own weight. Mostly every game created has a character grunt when they climb and object.
I'm not saying that she shouldn't grunt. And I'm not saying that Lara is the only character that grunts like that, if that's what you're implying, because that's what I am not implying. I am simply saying that the way they made the grunts, they made it sound a bit rated PG-13. But seriously, they could make the grunting a tad bit less intense. I mean surely, you would grunt from struggling a little but it wouldn't be like a pleasurfull moan, which it mostly sounds like while she's climbing a rope. I mean everyone would grunt once in a while but the way that they would make her grunt sounds a bit... edgy to me.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
22nd Jun 2005, 04:57
I'm not saying that she shouldn't grunt. And I'm not saying that Lara is the only character that grunts like that, if that's what you're implying, because that's what I am not implying. I am simply saying that the way they made the grunts, they made it sound a bit rated PG-13. But seriously, they could make the grunting a tad bit less intense. I mean surely, you would grunt from struggling a little but it wouldn't be like a pleasurfull moan, which it mostly sounds like while she's climbing a rope. I mean everyone would grunt once in a while but the way that they would make her grunt sounds a bit... edgy to me.

Thats not what I meant in my post, I just meant that those strenuos grunts are normal sounding for the type of stuff she does considering her body type. Other game characters make similar sounds also like Lara does, not all but some do.

Anyways, Lara doesn't moan like she is in pleasure IMO. She has about 5 grunts(1 for her death, 1 for the ledge pull up, 1 for a regular jump, 1 for a step up lift, and the pushing of an object groan). Most of her grunts are simple stuff like: "Hut" for the step up lift, "Hyat" for the regular jump, and "Uhhhhhhhhh" for when she dies. Then there is the three grunt noise she makes when she pushes blocks that look like they weight more than a car(without wheels). I would probably make the same noise if I had to push those blocks all day too! LOL.

Acceber
22nd Jun 2005, 07:26
I love the grunts. They are an essential part of gameplay, for me. It's obvious that Lara has to put some effort into her actions, and it's nice to hear that, imo. :cool: :D

I also thought Angelina did the grunts very well in the opening sequence of the first TR movie, although the frequency was slightly too high. ;)

CatSuit&Ponytail
22nd Jun 2005, 08:56
I love the grunts. They are an essential part of gameplay, for me. It's obvious that Lara has to put some effort into her actions, and it's nice to hear that, imo. :cool: :D

I also thought Angelina did the grunts very well in the opening sequence of the first TR movie, although the frequency was slightly too high. ;)
I love Lara's grunts and groans. They are needed to immerse me in the effort she's making. If she doesn't say "ugh" when she hits a wall, I will be disappointed. I need that acknowledgment, she is person working hard to do what I instruct her to, and it should sound like it. A woman exerting herself who has a sweet/sultry feminine voice should sound sorta sexy in anything she does, just because of the physics of her body's biology. Her larynx will create pleasing sounds, even when she says "ARRRRRR!" with her teeth bared while shooting bad guys. :D

22nd Jun 2005, 12:24
www.tombraidercentral.net has the groans and noises from legend in the goodies section. They were extracted from gameplay videos!

Klerik of Kaos
23rd Jun 2005, 01:40
Once again, I am not saying she shouldn't grunt. I agree with you CS&P that it's good that she grunts when she hits a wall and stuff. Because it does show that it hurts her a little( And with those huge boobs, who can blame her for grunting?!? :p ) But it's just that, well I'm back-tracking to The Last Revelation game. During the training mission, when you're towards the end of that level, you have to jump to a rope and stuff... Ok, I can understand you grunt... But it just doesn't sound right to me. I mean ok... If I think about it, I know that it's not a pleasureful grunt because who thinks about pleasure in a time like that. But the person who played her voice could've just made an "mm" sound, but the struggling "mm" not the "mmm good!" type of "mm" lol. Or maybe like a constipated sound! :eek: Yea I know, I wouldn't want to hear Lara sounding like she's trying to take a crap in the middle of the level but it's better then hearing the way she grunts... ESPECIALLY in The Last Revelation...

Since I'm on the topic of the Last Revelation, are they ever going to reveal how she got out of the collapsing pyramid, and why Von Croy came back, and why she didn't grab his hand, and how he knew where she was? After saying all these questions, I'm beginning to think that it was a trap set up by Von Croy. The whole collapsing pyramid thing. He could've done something. Then to cover it up, he could've been "searching" for her...

But if all that were true what I've just said, then he wouldn't have the audacity to contact Lara... But Von Croy is a sneaky little devil so I wouldn't put it past him!

Sophia Leigh
23rd Jun 2005, 06:40
Since I'm on the topic of the Last Revelation, are they ever going to reveal how she got out of the collapsing pyramid, and why Von Croy came back, and why she didn't grab his hand, and how he knew where she was? After saying all these questions, I'm beginning to think that it was a trap set up by Von Croy. The whole collapsing pyramid thing. He could've done something. Then to cover it up, he could've been "searching" for her...

But if all that were true what I've just said, then he wouldn't have the audacity to contact Lara... But Von Croy is a sneaky little devil so I wouldn't put it past him!

To find out how Lara escapes the collapsing pyramid you need to read the Eidos official novel "The Amulet of Power"

Trinity34
23rd Jun 2005, 14:02

Maybe in TR8 we will find out how Lara escaped the tomb but Von Croy did go back to find her. Remember the scene where Von Croy finds her backpack in the collapsed tomb?

Trinity34
23rd Jun 2005, 14:06
To find out how Lara escapes the collapsing pyramid you need to read the Eidos official novel "The Amulet of Power"

I always thought the book was the author's idea of what happened to Lara after Last Revelation, not Eidos'. Didn't Eidos say Lara was found by an African tribe and stayed with them for a while before returning to Croft Manor?

LaraAngelOfDarkness
23rd Jun 2005, 16:07
I always thought the book was the author's idea of what happened to Lara after Last Revelation, not Eidos'. Didn't Eidos say Lara was found by an African tribe and stayed with them for a while before returning to Croft Manor?

That's what I always thought. Especially since that character model(the Shaman) was made but wasn't used in the game.

Sophia Leigh
24th Jun 2005, 00:08

You probably know more than I do, but I always thought that the book was written specifically to let us know what had happened, hence it being Eidos Official and not just fan fiction :confused: .

If you could locate and post a link regarding Lara being found by an African tribe I would be very interested :)

Jsc
24th Jun 2005, 01:01
I was just thinking... since Lara grunts in the trailer wouldn't that mean they have someone to do the voice of Lara already? :confused: :)
The grunt is actually from the gameboy Tomb Raider game.

Trinity34
24th Jun 2005, 17:10
You probably know more than I do, but I always thought that the book was written specifically to let us know what had happened, hence it being Eidos Official and not just fan fiction :confused: .

If you could locate and post a link regarding Lara being found by an African tribe I would be very interested :)

If you look at the description for the Shaman character that was supposed to be in AOD it says the shaman healed Lara after her ordeal in Egypt. Scroll down to the characters on the last two sites.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tng/char_bio.html
http://www.freewebs.com/lcizzcroft/everythingontr6.htm
http://www.tombraider4u.com/characters.shtml

http://img96.echo.cx/img96/8969/0088kt.th.jpg (http://img96.echo.cx/my.php?image=0088kt.jpg)

This is a scanned page from Eidos' AOD style guide that you can download at laracroftonline.com. Look at the last paragraph. :)

Klerik of Kaos
25th Jun 2005, 00:40
Wow that's crazy. They speak of her as if she were a real person lol. But I really want to know what happened to her. And I don't have money to buy some book just to find out. If anything, someone should have scanned the page on the internet. You know the internet has everything!

Sophia Leigh
25th Jun 2005, 09:54
If you look at the description for the Shaman character that was supposed to be in AOD it says the shaman healed Lara after her ordeal in Egypt. Scroll down to the characters on the last two sites.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tng/char_bio.html
http://www.freewebs.com/lcizzcroft/everythingontr6.htm
http://www.tombraider4u.com/characters.shtml

http://img96.echo.cx/img96/8969/0088kt.th.jpg (http://img96.echo.cx/my.php?image=0088kt.jpg)

This is a scanned page from Eidos' AOD style guide that you can download at laracroftonline.com. Look at the last paragraph. :)

Thanks for that info :) , although it doesn't confirm that thats what actually happened. It confirms that it was an idea they had which obviously they ended up scrapping it and therefore replaced it with what is outlined in "The Amulet of Power".