PDA

View Full Version : PS2 freezing on Episode III Chapter 5

rizzocat
20th Jun 2005, 08:05
Hi I had such a hard time when we first got Lego Star Wars for my son. First his PS2 wouldn't read the disc so we went and traded his older version of PS2 for the flat console (newer version). That worked perfectly but when he got to Episode III Chapter 5 and he is going up the stairs the game just freezes on him. We went to go exchange the game and it is still doing that, we even tried it on someone else's console and it did the same thing. Has someone heard of this problem happening with the Lego Star Wars PS2 game? If so, did they find the answer on how to fix it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Husker
26th Jun 2005, 02:26
Same here, what's the deal? This ruins the game... :mad:

intrepid_soul
28th Jun 2005, 16:11
I might have the solution although you may not want to hear it. It could be due to a corrupt save. The only way to know for sure would be to start a new save file, and advance to that stage and see. While it may see unlikely, here in technical support we have seen corrupt save files crash games and cause all sorts of wierd happenings. This one caller could not enter any doors, even though they had green lights above them, the door would not open. I had them remove the memory card reboot, and try to enter the door, the door opened. I don't know why it happened I just know it does happen.

Husker
3rd Jul 2005, 19:41
This didn't work. This really sucks, what do I need to do?

ADanielBrewer
10th Jul 2005, 22:11
It plays fine until I try to enter the door into Chapter 6, of Episode 3, then it just locks up. Has anyone been successful at fixing this problem?

ADanielBrewer
17th Jul 2005, 05:44
I went and deleted the entire game off my memory card, as the Intrepid suggested. Just in case it was a corrupt file since it locked up in the same place on 2 different save files, as stated before on Episode 3, chapter 6. After the scene explanation rolls and says press start, we press start...and it locks on the star background. So I just took the memory card out and played straight through with out a card and it still locks up. This could be a great if one would be able to play it in it's entirety. :mad: Any other suggestions? :confused:

intrepid_soul
18th Jul 2005, 15:37
I went and deleted the entire game off my memory card, as the Intrepid suggested. Just in case it was a corrupt file since it locked up in the same place on 2 different save files, as stated before on Episode 3, chapter 6. After the scene explanation rolls and says press start, we press start...and it locks on the star background. So I just took the memory card out and played straight through with out a card and it still locks up. This could be a great if one would be able to play it in it's entirety. :mad: Any other suggestions? :confused:

This would lead me to believe you have a defective disk, especially if you took the step of playing without a memory card. I would recommend you try taking back to your point of purchase and try to exchange it. If that is not possible PM me here and I can give you a Return Merchandis Authorization number. :thumbsup:

ryanps2
25th Jul 2005, 03:07
The playstation2 Star Wars is a huge disappointment. I have taken this game back for the 4th time.....same result...'disc read error.' The first disc gave me a 'disc read error.' Took it back for an ''exchange''....2nd disc worked until I restarted the game (after I beat the game once), then gave me a 'disc read error.' The third disc didn't work at all...read 'disc read error....then started...just to fail after 5 minutes....the 4th disc read 'disc read error.'
Has there been a recall on this game. THERE SHOULD BE!!! Help. One month after 4 discs....not one disc worked longer than 1 run. :(

btlgrl
28th Jul 2005, 03:14
We are also on Disc #4!! Disc one worked the first time, came back and disc read error. Disc 2&3 never worked at all. got disc read error and that lousy noisy tracking sound. Disc 4 worked once, then when the boys started it the second time, disc read. This is ridiculous.... And they want me to believe it's not the disc, but our PS2. Funny, with well over 50+ discs, we have only one disc experiencing problems: LEGO Star Wars. Trust me, after the 3rd disc I checked them all! I e-mailed support again today... I am not paying for a replacement either, considering the darn thing cost over 40$ in the first place...

cj

ryanps2
28th Jul 2005, 14:26
I am frustrated!! What type of compensation is there? I paid 40 for a disc x4 that does not work in my ps2. I did not buy this game in hopes that I would be sooooooooooooooooo frustrated. I should not have to do a darn thing to my ps2. That was not part of the purchase plan for this game. It would be nice if I received a response back from eidos. I think there needs to be a better forum for frustrated customers. How many people out there know of someone else that is just as frustrated with this game?? 4 of my friends have not purchased the game......they won't because I have had this ongoing problem. I have at least 40 other games that work just fine. WHAT'S UP WITH THIS GAME?????????
Can I recieve the Return Merchandis Authorization number???????

intrepid_soul
1st Aug 2005, 16:54
We here at technical support have seen this occur only in PS2's that were over 2 years old. Infact if the game is tried in a newer system it works, points the finger of blame to the system. the system is just a tiny computer with out maintaining. I am not sure how one goes about maintaining a PS2, but the people at Sony would their number is 1-800-345-7669.

btlgrl
3rd Aug 2005, 17:32
OK, that's fine and dandy and seems as if it pushed the blame elsewhere... But what if I am trying to play this on a NEW ps2. I am, in fact, and have taken the game to my son's friends house who just got a brand new one this summer. Who takes the blame then? Who got the 40+$ I spent on this worthless disc?

All that being said, if Eidos was (and I am sure they are now) aware of an issue with older PS2s NOT playing this game, maybe some kind of warning should have been issued.

So, now what is the answer if this disc has been returned 4 times, is being played on a newer PS2 and still appears to be a piece of crap! Any thoughts? Sony's fault again? It's apparant by the sheer number of people complaining about this game (and not just on this forum) that there are issues. Perhaps instead of passing the buck or pointing the finger elsewhere, someone at Eidos steps up and takes responsibility for releasing a game that is sub-standard at best.

Incidentally, I counted at least 11 other "blue" colored games that we can play just fine. SW Legos is the only disc that doesn't function.

ryanps2
5th Aug 2005, 01:05
As stated on your webpage:
Eidos Limited Warranty
Eidos warrants to the original purchaser of this computer software product that the recording media on which the computer software programs are recorded will under normal use and conditions be free from material defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. The entire liability of Eidos under this limited warranty will be at Eidos' sole option either to repair or to replace such defective media provided that the original product is returned to Eidos in its original condition at the address specified below, together with a dated proof of purchase, a statement describing the defects and a return address. This warranty does not apply to media, which has been subject to misuse, damage or excessive wear.Wouldn't I have to be able to play the game??? Since I CAN'T play the game do to the problem that EIDOS created, not PS2, I should get a refund in some way. I did not misuse, damage, or have excessive wear.
I need a different forum...maybe the BBB has a forum that will actually investigate this issue. WHy isn't the consumer right. IT DOES NOT WORK. IF I KNEW BEFORE I ASKED MY GRANDMOTHER TO BUY IT FOR MY BIRTHDAY...THAT IT DID NOT WORK....GUESS WHAT?????

That's right....I would have bought something else. I need a real response from Eidos. When you buy a game that has the words PS2 on it...and advertised on tv that the game is for the PS2....EVERY GAME THAT I HAVE THAT SAYS PS2 ON THE COVER WORKS IN MY PS2.
I am going to contact someone else that can help me. Eidos is not serving the customer.

Written with the help of my MOM

intrepid_soul
5th Aug 2005, 15:37
As stated on your webpage:
[B]IT DOES NOT WORK. IF I KNEW BEFORE I ASKED MY GRANDMOTHER TO BUY IT FOR MY BIRTHDAY...THAT IT DID NOT WORK....GUESS WHAT?????

That's right....I would have bought something else. I need a real response from Eidos. When you buy a game that has the words PS2 on it...and advertised on tv that the game is for the PS2....EVERY GAME THAT I HAVE THAT SAYS PS2 ON THE COVER WORKS IN MY PS2.
I am going to contact someone else that can help me. Eidos is not serving the customer.

Written with the help of my MOM

Have you tried this game in another PS2? As stated a number of times above and else where, this is a problem we are seeing with older PS2's. If you can get it to play in another PS2 (if you don't have a friend's house you can try it at, go to the local video game store, they should be able to let you try), then you know its a hardward probelm with your PS2. If you still can't play it then you have a bad disk and exchanging it would be the fastest solution. If you can't do that for some reason, private message me and I can give you instructions on how to exchange it through us.

btlgrl
15th Aug 2005, 02:24
Have you tried this game in another PS2? As stated a number of times above and else where, this is a problem we are seeing with older PS2's. If you can get it to play in another PS2 (if you don't have a friend's house you can try it at, go to the local video game store, they should be able to let you try), then you know its a hardward probelm with your PS2. If you still can't play it then you have a bad disk and exchanging it would be the fastest solution. If you can't do that for some reason, private message me and I can give you instructions on how to exchange it through us.

I have! As a matter of fact as I stated before we HAVE a newer PS2 and it will not work in our player. We took it to a friends' house with a brand spanking new PS2 as of June of this year. It doesn't work. I have taken it to pretty much every house I know that owns one and it still doesn't work. THIS IS THE 4th DISC!!! 4 discs and not a one of them works. What are the ods that every single disc I have exchanged it for will not function? I also might add that I purchased the game at Wal mart and have exchnaged it at 3 different stores thus eliminating the "bad lot" excuse that would be sure to pop up soon.

So now what? What does Eidos have to say in response? I know they certainly haven't answered my e-mails asking that question...

SRS
2nd Sep 2005, 17:53
My PS2 game has worked fine for the past 2 months (purchased in June). Suddenly, last week, the game will boot up only very, very slowly, then will finally freeze up in the intro section. All other games continue to work on the PS2, which is older than 2 years. But if the age of the console/components were an issue, wouldn't the problem have manifested itself from the start? What is the procedure for contacting Customer Service regarding this issue? There only seems to be an address mentioned in the game manual that says it is to be used to send in requested "materials" after an "agent you speak with" gives you an "authorization number."

?

intrepid_soul
2nd Sep 2005, 18:16
The age of the console is very much in question, due to the fact that this is a defect that manifests itself over time. The fact that it was working and now its not is a direct indicator of the system being at fault. The information on the CD cannot just suddenly go bad.

To recieve an RMA number you should contact customer support at 415-615-6220, althought I would recommend you send an email it is fast way to not deal with hold music. The website is support.eidosinteractive.com browse to your game and select a FAQ, at the bottom it will say No this didn't help. THat will lead you to a link that says contact support.

SRS
2nd Sep 2005, 18:29
What exactly is the failure mechanism in the console, if it is known? Is this an issue that Sony is aware of or has addressed? It just seems strange to me that degradation of a certain component could affect a single game (at least of mine) while the others continue to function.

intrepid_soul
2nd Sep 2005, 18:35
What exactly is the failure mechanism in the console, if it is known? Is this an issue that Sony is aware of or has addressed? It just seems strange to me that degradation of a certain component could affect a single game (at least of mine) while the others continue to function.

I don't know as I am only a software person not a hardware issue. I cannot speak to what Sony is aware of either. Its not just a single game if you had other Blue back disks they would probably not run, as this is a CD rom issue, not a DVD issue. The only thing I can think of is that the laser reads in two different patterns depending on the format, and the laser arm gets out of adjustment. Again I am not a hardware person.

SRS
3rd Sep 2005, 04:53
Actually, the several CD-ROM based (blue-backed) games I have seem to operate without a problem. Has anyone heard of a similar problem with other games, or know of a console-based solution? If this is truly a PS2 hardware aging issue, then getting a replacement disk may not help. At this point though, I have to say I'm not convinced, from what I've experienced personally with my games on my console. Though admittedly, that's not exactly the best statistical sample. Where are the other reports of this error coming from? Do you know of any other threads or forums to check for information?

bigbeaner
12th Sep 2005, 02:05
This has got to be a software issue or just bad burns. It's not sony. I've tried it on newer right out of the box systems, older, etc. What are we to do, this is a seller swindling us right under our noses.

Lawton
12th Feb 2006, 15:54
Can anyone explain why this game would give itself circular scratches in a Playstation2 slimline bought at the same time as the game? I'm not sure if this counts as a hardware or a software problem. I wish eidos would admit that there may be something wrong with game, if there wasn't, why would so many people be having these problems?

intrepid_soul
13th Feb 2006, 07:36
Can anyone explain why this game would give itself circular scratches in a Playstation2 slimline bought at the same time as the game? I'm not sure if this counts as a hardware or a software problem. I wish eidos would admit that there may be something wrong with game, if there wasn't, why would so many people be having these problems?

Well first off, software doesn't just decide to get itself scratched. This points directly to hardware. The usual problem is the alignment of the CD Rom lense. The circle is caused by the lense touching the disc itself.

There is no problem with the game, it works perfectly in a fully functional PS2. I understand the frustration! I have a 5 year old PS2 and it had the same issue of not reading CD Rom format games, all my DVD games worked. I did some research and saw many PS2 owners had the same issue. So I just resigned myself to having a defective PS2. Well, we here at Eidos were looking into this issue and anyone with these units were encouraged to bring them in so we could run tests. Our hardware guy opened my unit up and saw it was really dusty. He took some compressed air and cleaned off the lense to the CD-Rom drive. Presto, now my PS2 reads CD's again, including Lego.

Fortunatly there is more information now. Sony is in the middle of fixing this issue without claiming there is an issue.:confused: Check out the information here:
www.ps2settlement.com

Cheerio
1st May 2008, 03:00
I have the same exact problem, and from what I have read, there doesn't seem to be an answer. Have Lego Star Wars II for PS2, my 6 year-old son got 98 gold bricks and the game freezes over and over at the exact same point during Super Story in episode 3...the last one he needs! Tried a new game, same thing. Tried a different (brand new) console, same thing. Tried a different saved game, same thing, from a different memory card, on the new console, with a different game. Nothing works. Chalked it up to a lesson in life...but then the sam thing happened with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban on day 7 (the last one of course). Unbelievably frustrating. I would LOVE if someone had an answer to the Star Wars one...you have no idea how excited he was to get that close and see what happens...then how disappointed he was that he can't finish it and doesn't understand why, and neither do I. Please, if anyone can help.

Thanks.

TombRaiderSpoilerBoy01
20th May 2008, 18:53
Some PS2's may have to be refurbished like older ones ;) .