PDA

View Full Version : For those who need a little help with IG.

giskard
19th Jun 2005, 18:19
Hello all.

I noticed a few people are not having much luck getting into IG for one reason or another and do not seem to be enjoying this great game much for that reason. I realise the depth of game play is greater than your typical Strategy game and this throws people when they first notice it. It can become too much for some and the details become hard to track because they do not understand what they are looking at.

Especially since the manual doesnt do such a great job of explaining it to them.

So heres a players guide i wrote aimed at those people. Once they make the leap in logic required to grasp the games mechanics, they should be able to fully enjoy it like the rest of us.

IG Players guide
http://www.respawn.co.uk/content/view/255/77/

To help you get to grips with the units for the 5 playable nations heres a unit chart too.
http://www.respawn.co.uk/content/view/259/77/

IF experienced players have anything to add to the guide you can post it below, but tell clearly that you are giving me permission to use your tips or I will not use them at all.

If you see something missing from it let me know.

Giskard

timetraveller
19th Jun 2005, 21:07
Thanks for this giskard. Just printed it off and I'll have a read of it tonight. I can see you've put a lot of work into it. A tip of the hat to you mate.

TT

Grandmaster
19th Jun 2005, 21:38
thank you for that guide, mate it has helped me get my game off and running. cheers :)

giskard
19th Jun 2005, 22:34
NP, just trying to let others enjoy the game as much as I do.

TimeTraveler:

I have been following your progress with those wave files. Good work mate. I did a little digging of my own for about 10 whole minutes and noticed the map files appear to be simple 3D objects with a texture over them.

There also appears to be programs online that can read in V3D files, in fact owners of Red Faction may already have one installed as part of that games sdk. Since I dont own that game, i have not checked it out.

Giskard

Age of Reason
20th Jun 2005, 02:43
Good guide, and an enjoyable read.

I think when you first start the campaign mode, your kind of in awe of the whole thing, and you don't understand everything yet, so you feel lost. After playing it awhile, and learning new stuff, I am enjoying the game even more.

giskard
21st Jun 2005, 02:17
Thats it exactly Age of Reason.

Once that effect wears off and you start to notice the little detials such as what dragging a and dropping unit over another does or the first time you use loan armies you start to develope strategies to use those features.

After that it just gets better and better.

For me its about options and IG gives the player lots of options to help win the campaign.

Giskard

Age of Reason
21st Jun 2005, 13:40
Thats it exactly Age of Reason.

Once that effect wears off and you start to notice the little detials such as what dragging a and dropping unit over another does or the first time you use loan armies you start to develope strategies to use those features.

After that it just gets better and better.

For me its about options and IG gives the player lots of options to help win the campaign.

Giskard

Agreed.

On that note, I'm having trouble transferring my land units across water to another territory. I have military ports built, but I haven't figured this part out yet. Anyone know what I'm not doing right?

5/77 Armd
21st Jun 2005, 13:49
You can only load and unload at a port/wharf. Also, if you just moved a ship into that sea zone, you can't load until next turn. Once you load, you can't move the ship until next turn. (Personally I think at least one step should be removed, as it takes entirely too long to move armies across open water).

To load an army onto a ship, just drag the commander's icon over and onto the ship and you should be all set. (The commander can't load if he just moved into the territory with the port/wharf).

Now to unload the commander, once the ship is selected, you will see the commanders icon next to the picture of the selected ship in the bottom left corner, just drag the commander onto the territory with the port/wharf to unload him.

Age of Reason
21st Jun 2005, 13:57
Thank you very much. That will be helpful when I get to play again tonight.

giskard
21st Jun 2005, 18:59
I agree with Armd about the process of moving troops across the sea taking to long. It does require planning and you can forget about reacting quickly to events if sea travel is required.

It does teach you to plan a head though :)

Giskard

5/77 Armd
21st Jun 2005, 19:24
Waaaay too long to move troops across water. In game terms, it takes almost half a year (5 months I think) to move an army from London to Norway!!!

giskard
22nd Jun 2005, 03:51
It takes 3 turns cross the channel.

Thats 3 months.

Loading = 1 month.
Moving = 1 month.
Unloading happens on the third month.

3 months to sail across 22 miles of water :/

Giskard

5/77 Armd
22nd Jun 2005, 13:06
I messed up, I was playing as Great Britain last night and it took me 4 months to unload troops in Norway from London because you have to move through two sea zones. From Scotland it's only 3 months. London to Netherlands, like you said, is 3 months.

Grubnessul
25th Jun 2005, 22:48
I guess this is the best threat for this:

Im playing now my first game as france (autorcatic) and I just researched surgery and build a few militairy hospitals, but my armies do not regenerage men... am I misunderstanding something here (that military hospitals replace those men) or do I have to do something special?

joxer31
26th Jun 2005, 01:01
Im playing now my first game as france (autorcatic) and I just researched surgery and build a few militairy hospitals, but my armies do not regenerage men... am I misunderstanding something here (that military hospitals replace those men) or do I have to do something special?

Your units will not regenerate automatically. Click on any damaged unit and there should be a button to repair the unit. Remeber that the unit has to be in the same territory with the military hospital or the unit cannot be repaired.

Grubnessul
26th Jun 2005, 08:46
ah! great thnx a lot

5/77 Armd
27th Jun 2005, 13:18
Your units will not regenerate automatically. Click on any damaged unit and there should be a button to repair the unit. Remeber that the unit has to be in the same territory with the military hospital or the unit cannot be repaired.

Don't forget to have the damaged units garrisoned in the military academy! Then you will see the repair button. When you push the button it will ask you to confirm and give you the resource cost to repair it.

giskard
28th Jun 2005, 14:01
I think I should add that to the guide.

Its a common question.

Edit: Guide updated and the Monarchy unit restore options explained.
I want to add a section on the marrage feature too but I cannot until some of the facts are known better.

TAFN have had a copy of the updated guide emailed to them too.

giskard