PDA

View Full Version : Game Improvement Suggestion

supermodel
19th Jun 2005, 09:54
Ok, I have been playing this game for two weeks.

Here is some suggestions for game improvement:

First of all, like many players think, IG troops need to add morale. Otherwise, there will be no point to build a experienced army. Even if I won a battle against a similar or bigger size army, my army always suffer huge casualty because every enermy fight to their death!!

Second, the militia is too strong in this game. Again, what's the point to build a strong professional army then?

Third, building troops spend way too much resource and population. Why do players need to spend 1000~1200 units of their population to build one unit of calvary.

Fourth, maybe the game developers need to take Napoleonic generals abilities into consideration when making the game. Maybe developers can add different attritbutes to generals. For example, general attributes can be divided into overall leadership, infantry leadership, artillery leadership and naval leadership. Historically, Murat is good at calvary leadership. Nelson has great naval leadership and etc.

Fifth, maybe developers should divide the game map into more territories. It just does not make sense we can conquer Russia in several battles.

Sixth, each country should have their own military advantages For example, Britian can build better ships. France can build better artillery because of Napoleon. Austria can build better calvary. Russia can build cheap line infantry because of their hugg man power. Prussia has highly trained infantry.

Seventh, I suggest that players cannot make Imperial Guards type units right away. In order to create IG, players need to have experienced infantry unit first (four or five stars). Then, players can draw recruits from these units to create a IG unit. However, the infantry units they draw from will decrease in size and will lose some experience stars too.

Nial
20th Jun 2005, 19:55
Ok, I have been playing this game for two weeks.

Seventh, I suggest that players cannot make Imperial Guards type units right away. In order to create IG, players need to have experienced infantry unit first (four or five stars). Then, players can draw recruits from these units to create a IG unit. However, the infantry units they draw from will decrease in size and will lose some experience stars too.

I don't know about you? But it usually is late in the game before I am producing Guard units. In fact. By the time Im producing them in any kind of numbers, due to the fact they can only be produced in your home capitol. Sans certain special units.( portuguese riflemen, polish lancers etc.)
I've usually already won the game to all intents and purposes. Personaly; I want to be able to produce them earlier. Not later.

Historicly, that is how Napoleonrecruited his Old, and Young guard units. But either way. I don't think what you propose is possible within the limits of the game. Could be wrong though. :)

giskard
21st Jun 2005, 02:15
Nial:

What a very membari sounding name you have there :)

Oh and as for the special units, i agree with Nial.

Giskard

WindOfChange
26th Jun 2005, 20:20
I say they should have made two maps in capitals. One for the military garrisons conflict and the other with the field military prescence. Thus we can have city or large garrison fight in all neutral capitals too. Also, it will allow us to deal with the rebels on the field instead of the Empire's fortresses or city blocks.

bodkinhead
27th Jun 2005, 05:04
A note on morale.

If morale was implemented it would have to
be done very carefully it would be too easy
to make the game worse with a poorly implemented
morale system. I've seen morale ruin other games.

I thought morale was too weak for just about
all units in RTW. I don't want to play a game
where my troops run away after the first volley
is shot at them.

I agree population cost is too high for troop production,
I modded the game and gave hospitals another 25%
boost to population, it dosen't radically change the game
but does make things are bit more reasonable.

Queeg
28th Jun 2005, 02:04
A note on morale.

If morale was implemented it would have to
be done very carefully it would be too easy
to make the game worse with a poorly implemented
morale system. I've seen morale ruin other games.

I thought morale was too weak for just about
all units in RTW. I don't want to play a game
where my troops run away after the first volley
is shot at them.

Agreed. While morale is a realistic factor in battle, it can detract from gameplay if every battle degenerates into a mad scramble for the map edges. Running down fleeing infantry with your cavalry is great fun - the first few times. After that, though, it just makes for lopsided battles.

Nial
28th Jun 2005, 17:13
Agreed..........moral implementation/ adjustment should be done very carefuly.
It would be very easy to end up at the oposite end of the spectrum; Where units flee at the sight of gunsmoke. Though, I bet that very thing happened to some rabble militia at some time during the era. It would not make for a good game.

Nial
28th Jun 2005, 17:16
[QUOTE=giskard]Nial:

What a very membari sounding name you have there :)

LOL, It's from a book about ancient Ireland I read when I was very young.