PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Talk

Lt. Kyuzo
18th Jun 2005, 20:31
Just wanted to start a little thread to see what sort of tactics other players use in the land battles (as you tend not to use tactics in sea battles cos its a bit of a freefor all)

I tend to have all of my line infantry in one long line with my artillery on my right flank and my best shooting infantry unit on the left flank. i try to keep my cavalry behind my lines and try not so use them too much. i protect my cannon (normaly 6pounders) with dragoons if i have them or rifle/light infantry if i dont. behind the right and left flank infantry i have a unit of rifles, once the engagement has begun i move these in collum formation to flank the enemy line then getting them to charge but stopping before melee starts so that they are very close to shoot the enemy. this is the basics of the tactics/formation i use and was just wondering what everyone else does

Age of Reason
18th Jun 2005, 21:25
Below is the strategy I use for playing the "Quick Battle" with Great Britain. I always use the "auto buy" feature instead of individually selecting my units. I separate my forces into two: the main and the offensive. I put all of my infantry units in line formation and keep the cavalry in column formation.

MAIN FORCE

http://www.commonsense.cc/IMPERIALGLORY1.jpg

I find with this force, it doesn't matter if I am the attacker or defender, I can usually get the AI to attack me somehow. I put the GG's up front for possible melee and to protect my artillery in the middle. If the AI charges, which they usually always do, the artillery can tear them to shreds. If they get close enough, usually the volleys from the GG's, the Riflemen right behind the artillery, and the supporting light infantries as well usually breaks up their charge pretty good. I put my cavalry on both sides to protect the flanks and charge myself if necessary.

I also keep a reserve of line infantry in the back behind the riflemen to plug holes if necessary.

Now onto the other force....

OFFENSIVE FORCE

http://www.commonsense.cc/IMPERIALGLORY2.jpg

Depending on the location of the enemy, I either put this force somewhere to the right or left of my Main Force. Usually, after my main force has destroyed the various charges from the enemy, I send the offensive force to the flank of their main army. It forms an "L" shape with my main force, usually decimating their forces. Most of the time, I'll send a cavalry unit behind their armies to take out whatever artillery they have. The blow from the Black Watch, the Riflemen, the Light Infantry, and the Cavalry unit usually destroys the enemy.

If you notice, in this offensive force, I usually stagger the second Cavalry unit a tad bit behind just in case the AI tries to flank this force, they can respond before they get to my riflemen and BW's.

Sieur_Drewry
19th Jun 2005, 01:03
A strategy isnt good until tested against humans.

Age of Reason
19th Jun 2005, 03:44
A strategy isnt good until tested against humans.

Agreed. Playing the AI can get stale after too long.

Human players keeps you on your feet and makes you improve.

adamwehn
19th Jun 2005, 04:12
Below is the strategy I use for playing the "Quick Battle" with Great Britain. I always use the "auto buy" feature instead of individually selecting my units. I separate my forces into two: the main and the offensive. I put all of my infantry units in line formation and keep the cavalry in column formation.

MAIN FORCE

http://www.commonsense.cc/IMPERIALGLORY1.jpg

I find with this force, it doesn't matter if I am the attacker or defender, I can usually get the AI to attack me somehow. I put the GG's up front for possible melee and to protect my artillery in the middle. If the AI charges, which they usually always do, the artillery can tear them to shreds. If they get close enough, usually the volleys from the GG's, the Riflemen right behind the artillery, and the supporting light infantries as well usually breaks up their charge pretty good. I put my cavalry on both sides to protect the flanks and charge myself if necessary.

I also keep a reserve of line infantry in the back behind the riflemen to plug holes if necessary.

Now onto the other force....

OFFENSIVE FORCE

http://www.commonsense.cc/IMPERIALGLORY2.jpg

Depending on the location of the enemy, I either put this force somewhere to the right or left of my Main Force. Usually, after my main force has destroyed the various charges from the enemy, I send the offensive force to the flank of their main army. It forms an "L" shape, usually decimating their forces. Most of the time, I'll send a cavalry unit behind their armies to take out whatever artillery they have. The blow from the Black Watch, the Riflemen, the Light Infantry, and the Cavalry unit usually destroys the enemy.

If you notice, in this offensive force, I usually stagger the second Cavalry unit a tad bit behind just in case the AI tries to flank this force, they can respond before they get to my riflemen and BW's.

Might be good to reference which way is the forward direction on those formations.

Age of Reason
19th Jun 2005, 04:25
Might be good to reference which way is the forward direction on those formations.

Oh sorry.....

They all face up on your screen.

Towards the enemy.

adamwehn
19th Jun 2005, 10:20
So the top of the image is the front of the formation?

Age of Reason
19th Jun 2005, 11:39
So the top of the image is the front of the formation?

Yes sir, that would be correct.

Lord Nergal
25th Jun 2005, 20:24
A strategy I use is the blitzkrieg charge as I call it, it never failed me. I guess it comes from playing all those WWII games. Here is what I do:
Separate cavalry from the rest of the army. Ready my cannons as close to the enemy as I can get, lining up light infantry, line infantry and grenadiers behind it and place my howitzers behind all that, preferably on high ground. I keep the riflemen and elite (like the royal guard) in reserve for the attack.
I line up my dragoons facing the enemy, just outside his range and charge with all my cavalry at his cavalry, bringing them in the range of my dragoons. His army begins to move trough the range of my cannons so I slaughter them.
If the cavalry attack is successful I use the cavalry on his infantrymen.
This is a very safe strategy and it works well against human players that occupy a position. If they destroy your cavalry, they have to charge your cannons that fire on them. Fire at them with the cannons letting them attack the cannons and fiering at them with the infantry behind and with the howitzers.
Then you can go forward with the rest of infantry to finnish them.
I would not recomend doing this in campaign game as it might leave you with no cannons and no cavalry. You would still have almost all infantery though.

ArmoredCav
27th Jun 2005, 19:05
Since the enemy tends to lumber around like a Goliath, with all it's units massing together, there is one tactic that I love. It worked once on some poor fool online, but wouldn't work against anyone with a brain (or eyes). It works best (the one time I did it online, especially) in Poland, but also in some other maps.

My infantry takes up positions in the forests and fences. As the enemy advances, the infantry fires a volley or two, then runs away. The next line does the same. As each battalion flees, the enemy begins to charge. . . .

. . . .right into my cavalry, waiting just behind the last forest on the right. Thoroughly damaged, and exhausted, the enemy desperately tries to form ranks, but before they can get a single volley off, my sabers are running down their throats.

Works like a charm. Against an idiot.

Anyway, I've only been playing two weeks, and the lack of a morale factor and the insistence of every unit to fight to the death hampers the use of tactics; each battle becomes a slugfest. Hopefully a patch will introduce basic morale, and keep every unit from Kamakazing into my lines. Then everyone will come up with some pretty nifty tactics.

Lt. Kyuzo
28th Jun 2005, 10:49
A tactic that ive been using online on very hilly maps is to make a large flanking move with dragoons, i find that if you keep them well covered by mountains by the time the player sees them you have released at least two volleys