PDA

View Full Version : Who will voice Lara Croft in TR: Legend?

Johnny
16th Jun 2005, 14:09
Hey, fellow Tomb Raider peeps! :) I'm sure everyone is aware that Lara's voice changed throughout the Tomb Raider series. So, I did a little research and I discovered there were 3 voice-over artists in the history of the series. Now is the time to vote on who you think should voice Lara Croft in TR: Legend.

susan
16th Jun 2005, 17:04
I'd like it to be Judith. Out of the three I think she's the better actor, her dry delivery of the witty dialogue is excellent. Also, the depth and strength of her voice sounds appropriate for Lara as I imagine her.

Shelley Blonde was pretty good too.

Jonelle Elliot's voice I never really liked - too wispyish for me. Her (often) earnest delivery of the lines also felt wrong to me, trying too hard.

I think it's likely though that they'll have a new voice to match the new look.

Klerik of Kaos
16th Jun 2005, 17:10
I think that it should be the same person from 4-6. I feel that she did an excellent job on voicing Lara. Although, I think that Angelina Jolie could do just as well... I mean, she was Lady Croft in the movie, so why not continue on with that voice you know what I mean?

Sophia Leigh
17th Jun 2005, 05:44
I think it should definetly be Jonell Elliott - I think she suits the character the best and she is what we are used to now. People's voices don't change and neither should Lara's. I get the feeling that unfortunately they will get a new voice though :( .

LaraAngelOfDarkness
17th Jun 2005, 13:28
I think it should definetly be Jonell Elliott - I think she suits the character the best and she is what we are used to now. People's voices don't change and neither should Lara's. I get the feeling that unfortunately they will get a new voice though :( .

I agree, Jonell has been Lara for the past three games now(Judith has only done two games and Shelley only did the first game). I have come to associate that voice with her now. I know that most people liked Judith, but didn't she say she didn't want to do Lara's voice for another game(could have sworn I read that somewhere)?

Mangar The Dark
17th Jun 2005, 14:14
According to the latest interview with Toby Gard, it won't be any of the previous voice actors:

Q: We can already see that Lara has a new look in this game. What else about her will be different?

A: Lara's been through a lot. She's older now, more mature. We felt this needed to be reflected not just in her look, but also her voice, which is why we are thrilled to have Angela Lansbury lending her vocal talents to Legend.

Q: That's quite a departure, isn't it?

A: It is, but we knew it was time for a change. Angela's done a wonderful job, and she's a great singer.

Q: Singer? Will Lara sing?

A: Well, I can't say much about that just yet. Let's just say, "Legend" promises to be a whole new Tomb Raider experience.

enoch
17th Jun 2005, 14:57
According to the latest interview with Toby Gard, it won't be any of the previous voice actors:

Q: We can already see that Lara has a new look in this game. What else about her will be different?

A: Lara's been through a lot. She's older now, more mature. We felt this needed to be reflected not just in her look, but also her voice, which is why we are thrilled to have Angela Lansbury lending her vocal talents to Legend.

Q: That's quite a departure, isn't it?

A: It is, but we knew it was time for a change. Angela's done a wonderful job, and she's a great singer.

Q: Singer? Will Lara sing?

A: Well, I can't say much about that just yet. Let's just say, "Legend" promises to be a whole new Tomb Raider experience.

Now thereĀ“s a different tune. Sounds highly interesting. Perhaps she will get the opportunity to do some karaoke as it seems some of the actione will take place in the far east.
Anyway I never liked the voice of the last three games - too much girl power/pop queen.

Mangar The Dark
17th Jun 2005, 15:27
Ok, on a more serious "note" than my last reply (oh God, the puns never end...)

I would prefer the Lara from the last few games. True, she did sound a bit wimpier at times, but the earlier Laras had an annoying scratchy sound to their voice. When I first played TR4, I didn't realize it was a different actress, I just thought, "Hey, she finally cleared her throat!"

Johnny
17th Jun 2005, 16:10
Lara's been through a lot. She's older now, more mature. We felt this needed to be reflected not just in her look, but also her voice, which is why we are thrilled to have Angela Lansbury lending her vocal talents to Legend.

Angela Lansbury??? You're joking, right? I realize that Lara is now older, but she's not THAT old. :confused: When I think about Angela Lansbury, I associate her with Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast. Although I enjoyed that Disney move (and still do!), I think I've heard enough of Mrs. Potts. And now she's Lara Croft!!! :rolleyes: I'm really hoping this is a rumour.

Sophia Leigh
18th Jun 2005, 12:11
Thanks, now I have the theme tune from Murder She Wrote stuck in my head :rolleyes: :D :D

Rusty_DK
20th Jun 2005, 01:01
I can't believe what I am reading...

TR 2 voice was far superior! It was a strong "don't mess with me" voice...It is perfect for the character of Lara.

TR1 I liked, but she didn't sound aristocratic, that even a word?

The other one....man WORST VOICE EVER IMO. She didn't sound strong at all and I dunno...I just dont like her voice, I don't think it suits her character at all.

I am all for a new voice, as long as it sounds similar to the TR2 + 3 one....not TR4 onwards...

LaraAngelOfDarkness
20th Jun 2005, 03:45
I can't believe what I am reading...

TR 2 voice was far superior! It was a strong "don't mess with me" voice...It is perfect for the character of Lara.

TR1 I liked, but she didn't sound aristocratic, that even a word?

The other one....man WORST VOICE EVER IMO. She didn't sound strong at all and I dunno...I just dont like her voice, I don't think it suits her character at all.

I am all for a new voice, as long as it sounds similar to the TR2 + 3 one....not TR4 onwards...

Worst voice ever? That is being way too over dramatic, even if it is your opinion. You think Jonell Elliot is bad, you should really play other games. I can name 50+ actresses who sound way worse than her. Anyways, If Jonell must be replaced(even though she is like one of the only VAs who have stayed with a character so long),the new person should be somewhat of a mix of Jonell and Judith(to please both sets of fans). If they can't figure out who, just get Angelina Jolie to do it.

Anyways, I would prefer Jonell to stay to keep continuity with the series as she has be the voice of Lara for some six years isn't it? David Hayter has been providing his voice for Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series since 1998(thats seven years) and the same for Alyson Court who has been doing the voice for Claire Redfield from Resident Evil also since 1998. Oh well, thats just my personal preference.

knightgames
20th Jun 2005, 07:22
.......... thing for Rhona Mitra.
She's British, so the accent is there........... She WAS a Lara model.......and she can act.

NUFF SAID.

Johnny
20th Jun 2005, 10:17
Hmmm... I was just watching an E3 demo video of TR: Legend and listening carefully to the sounds Lara made (i.e., grunts when jumping), it appears that her voice is deeper than Jonell's. Anyone else concur?

knightgames
20th Jun 2005, 17:33
Thanks, now I have the theme tune from Murder She Wrote stuck in my head :rolleyes: :D :D

I'll trade you the 'Murder She Wrote' theme for the old classic "The Night Chicago Died"
That's a song that once in my head won't go away.

"Na na na, Na na na, Na na na na naaaa na naaaaaah na nah.
Brother what fight it was. Brother what a night it was."

Thank yew thank yew vry much.........I'll be here through Thursday night.
Shows at 8 and 10

LaraAngelOfDarkness
20th Jun 2005, 17:57
Hmmm... I was just watching an E3 demo video of TR: Legend and listening carefully to the sounds Lara made (i.e., grunts when jumping), it appears that her voice is deeper than Jonell's. Anyone else concur?

I just listened to the first trailer to check out the sounds she made when she jumped. To me, she sounds like Jonell still.

Mangar The Dark
20th Jun 2005, 19:29
I wonder if they'll go back to having her say, "oof" everytime she runs into a wall. That got annoying in TR1 (I think she stopped after that... but it's been a LONG time since I played TR2, so I'm not sure.)

PaulaCroft
20th Jun 2005, 19:37

I believe that Jonell no longer will do plus the voice of Lara, which for me is a pain because I liked enough his voice in comparison with the girls who did from the TR1 to the TR3. And you are right, when it left trailer (first) I listened to a small one moaned that it emitted when it was jumping... and definitively it was not Jonell

Johnny
20th Jun 2005, 20:34
I just listened to the first trailer to check out the sounds she made when she jumped. To me, she sounds like Jonell still.

Are you referring to the sound Lara made when jumping in this part of the trailer? I'll admit her grunt sounded similar to Jonell's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/jump.jpg

But I'm referring to Lara's grunts in the more recent E3 demos where her voice sounds deeper, more along the lines of Judith Gibbins. There was a demo video released by Gamespot, but I can't find the link. Can anyone post the link or is there some way I can upload the demo here from my hard drive? Here are some screenshots if it's any help...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/E3trailer.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/E3trailer2.jpg

LaraAngelOfDarkness
20th Jun 2005, 21:29
Are you referring to the sound Lara made when jumping in this part of the trailer? I'll admit her grunt sounded similar to Jonell's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/jump.jpg

But I'm referring to Lara's grunts in the more recent E3 demos where her voice sounds deeper, more along the lines of Judith Gibbins. There was a demo video released by Gamespot, but I can't find the link. Can anyone post the link or is there some way I can upload the demo here from my hard drive? Here are some screenshots if it's any help...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/E3trailer.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Johnno_86/E3trailer2.jpg

Yeah that was the part I was talking about in the very first trailer released. The video you are talking about is the three minute "buggy" video right? I just watched it and you are right, it sounds completely different from Jonell. From the grunts the VA made I could probably see that voice fitting Lara, but I would have to hear actual lines before I can debate wether her voice works or not.

Alti
21st Jun 2005, 18:11
I would like to see Lara's voice done by either the first TR or second. But I think Angelina would be a better pick!

Rusty_DK
23rd Jun 2005, 10:07
Worst voice ever? That is being way too over dramatic, even if it is your opinion. You think Jonell Elliot is bad, you should really play other games. I can name 50+ actresses who sound way worse than her. Anyways, If Jonell must be replaced(even though she is like one of the only VAs who have stayed with a character so long),the new person should be somewhat of a mix of Jonell and Judith(to please both sets of fans). If they can't figure out who, just get Angelina Jolie to do it.

Anyways, I would prefer Jonell to stay to keep continuity with the series as she has be the voice of Lara for some six years isn't it? David Hayter has been providing his voice for Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series since 1998(thats seven years) and the same for Alyson Court who has been doing the voice for Claire Redfield from Resident Evil also since 1998. Oh well, thats just my personal preference.

Oh well of course I was being overdramatic! Anyone would have noticed that. I know all about bad voices, just look at the first RE....haha it's a laugh...even a few of the FF games havent been that good either. I just believe that Jonell's voice was not strong enough for the character of Lara..."worst voice ever" is also refering to the Tomb Raider series, not the entriety of the games market in general.

Anyways, should I play other games? No becuase I don't have the time really...what with uni and all...

it's nice to be back here and get slammed again...I love it. No sarcasm, I seriously do!

LaraAngelOfDarkness
23rd Jun 2005, 16:13
Oh well of course I was being overdramatic! Anyone would have noticed that. I know all about bad voices, just look at the first RE....haha it's a laugh...even a few of the FF games havent been that good either. I just believe that Jonell's voice was not strong enough for the character of Lara..."worst voice ever" is also refering to the Tomb Raider series, not the entriety of the games market in general.

Anyways, should I play other games? No becuase I don't have the time really...what with uni and all...

it's nice to be back here and get slammed again...I love it. No sarcasm, I seriously do!

Sorry about my rant that I had. I just always thought out of many games that have been made, Tomb Raider has mostly had good voice acting. I guess I could see someone with a more noble voice.

uzigirl
23rd Jun 2005, 16:53
Angela Lansbury :eek: they have got to be kidding right. :eek: :eek:

"sighs"

I think Angelina Jolie would be perfect for the voicing of Lara.

Johnny
23rd Jun 2005, 17:43
Angela Lansbury :eek: they have got to be kidding right. :eek: :eek:

"sighs"

I think Angelina Jolie would be perfect for the voicing of Lara.

Well, fortunately, the whole Angela Lansbury thing was a joke. ;) Whew!

uzigirl
23rd Jun 2005, 17:46
Thank god for that, lol. :D :D

Rusty_DK
26th Jun 2005, 14:45
Sorry about my rant that I had. I just always thought out of many games that have been made, Tomb Raider has mostly had good voice acting. I guess I could see someone with a more noble voice.

dont get me wrong, all of the tombraiders have had excellent voice acting. I just feel that she needs a strong voice like TR2 & 3...I think it suits her character for what she represents...