PDA

View Full Version : Square formation of doom!

zzxxcc
13th Jun 2005, 01:09
I was playing some quick matches to practice my countering of mass militia charges.

At first, I was testing my using Linemen/Grenadier's to counter-charge at that last moment, but it actually seemed to work much WORSE than just leaving them in their double-line formation. So instead I trying used square formation just before the militia impacted.

I was AMAZED!!!

With the speed at which Calvary charge, I have -rarely- managed to use square formation against their attack but since Militia are so, so much slower, I had plenty of time and it was incredibly effective.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but you haven't tryed it- it simply DESTROYS militia.

Thecrisis5
13th Jun 2005, 01:38
Yeah i know, but by the time i realized this, all my enemies and eiether musketeer ors grenadiers. Still very useful against calvary that is unsupported by artillery. :cool:

Captain.Crunch
13th Jun 2005, 04:37
Square formation is excellent against militia you can be outnumbered 3 to 1 and still prevail so long as you stay in square formation. They will fire and fall painstakinly slow. You can also sometimes as there running away get a line formation and fire them in the back before they charge again get into square formation.

Oststar
14th Jun 2005, 01:17
I was playing some quick matches to practice my countering of mass militia charges.

At first, I was testing my using Linemen/Grenadier's to counter-charge at that last moment, but it actually seemed to work much WORSE than just leaving them in their double-line formation. So instead I trying used square formation just before the militia impacted.

I was AMAZED!!!

With the speed at which Calvary charge, I have -rarely- managed to use square formation against their attack but since Militia are so, so much slower, I had plenty of time and it was incredibly effective.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but you haven't tryed it- it simply DESTROYS militia.

This is a massive error on the part of Pyro, because squared infantry should be slaughtered worse than lined; in a square your arm is locked in, making the effective range of your bayonet about four feet as compared to a standing man reaching out to roughly eight feet. Basicly appart from being shot at a charge would be free of casualties. Militias are another matter... they need to be coded totally differently from Line Inf because they're using 3' clubs as compared to 5' muskets with bayonets.

Longstreet63
19th Jun 2005, 20:29
True enough, but that's the way it works in IG. I have begun to tactically exploit it, particularly against militia-heavy revolts in major capitols. In Vienna, I leave the cavalry at home and march a block of infantry up with one or more batteries in the center. I have the infantry square up and then adjust so they completely surround the howitzers (cannon can't work for this) and then lob a few shells at the musketeers in the palace. The AI army will charge your squares to get at the cannon, coming from wherever on the battlefield they may be. As long as your squares don't overlap the cannon and cover every approach, it will work. Their musketeers will fire at one of your squares, so they get the howitzer fire, while the militia will charge, retreat charge until they are dead. Redirect the howitzer to fire at their reform point. It ain't pretty, but it works with minimum casualties. In reality, I'd be massacred.

Just points out the need for actual morale in the game. Would militia actually charge twenty or more times to obviously no purpose? (They don't even get tired.) If they did, my professional soldiers would be laughing too hard to defend themselves.

diablus
20th Jun 2005, 21:58
Square is great, except they could have done better on the visuals. sometimes the infantry/ cavalry runs inside the square and then walks right out... looks very funny and wierd :confused:

hopefully when they release the next patch it gets *rid* of that.