PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a fix?

Billy Fish
12th Jun 2005, 22:12
This was mentioned in an eariler thread regarding the choppiness when viewing the world map. After a few turns of playing the world map becomes very choppy and the AI/turn takes quite some time to finish. From a MP perspective, it would appear the framerates drop to 10FPS. When I first started playing IG this wasn;t any issue but now that I am in the second era, it becomes unplayable after 2-3 turns. Found that once this starts, the battles are pretty much the same in choppiness. Saving and restarting the game will sometimes result in a black screen with white blocks. :eek:

I'm trying hard to give this game a chance as it has great potential but patience is waning. Any ideas or should am I looking at turning the discs into beer bottle coasters? :confused:

Running an AMD 2.17 GHz
Maxtor Diamondback 120GB HD
1 Gig Samsung DDR 400MHz
ATI Raedon 128MB DDR video card

jaywalker2309
12th Jun 2005, 23:10
This was mentioned in an eariler thread regarding the choppiness when viewing the world map. After a few turns of playing the world map becomes very choppy and the AI/turn takes quite some time to finish. From a MP perspective, it would appear the framerates drop to 10FPS. When I first started playing IG this wasn;t any issue but now that I am in the second era, it becomes unplayable after 2-3 turns. Found that once this starts, the battles are pretty much the same in choppiness. Saving and restarting the game will sometimes result in a black screen with white blocks. :eek:

I'm trying hard to give this game a chance as it has great potential but patience is waning. Any ideas or should am I looking at turning the discs into beer bottle coasters? :confused:

Running an AMD 2.17 GHz
Maxtor Diamondback 120GB HD
1 Gig Samsung DDR 400MHz
ATI Raedon 128MB DDR video card

What driver version u running for graphics card?

Billy Fish
12th Jun 2005, 23:31
I have a Raedon 9600 Graphics card and am running the 5.6 Catalyst Drivers

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Have XP Service Pack 2 loaded as well. :cool:

zzxxcc
13th Jun 2005, 00:58
I think I have the same problem.

Every few turns the game map starts to get more and more (and more) unresponsive- it's like working with drying glue. LOL

Oddly, my solution was pretty simple. Every couple of turns I 'manually' save the game. For some reason just doing this seems to free the game up tremendously and everything runs smoothly again.

Hope this helps!

--Dave

Billy Fish
13th Jun 2005, 01:50
Do you save and restart or save and continue playing?

Element-UK
13th Jun 2005, 08:47
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51614

Have you tried messing around with your Gfx card's Advanced setting's ? I have never seen any choppiness but I don't use an ATI. It's not always drivers etc.

zzxxcc
13th Jun 2005, 11:18
Just save and keep playing, no need to reload.

PS- I personally don't use an ATI card so, my problem at least isn't a driver issue.

Sotos
13th Jun 2005, 12:54
I use a ATi card (Gigabyte X800XT PE) with latest Cats and i do not have any problem
Not in World View and not in Battle view, everything plays great :)

These problem\bug must happen in certain systems with certain drivers and with a not so modern hardware...

Fortunately i do not belong in that category :o

zzxxcc
13th Jun 2005, 16:56
This thread is to deal with a particular problem some of us are having. If you don't have the problem, then you can't know what the problem is- let alone how to resolve it! So, interupting a trouble shooting thread to imply that our own particular system's are the cause is really very surpurfluous.

I'm playing Imperial Glory on a P3 1.2GHz w/ GF MX 400 64 Mb.

I REALLY don't need anyone to tell me what system's would run the game better!

The answer is "almost all of them"! LOL

But with some tweaks and tolerance, IG does run VERY nicely on my ponderous old girl. So for now.... I think I'll wait some more before I upgrade again.

"Those who can: do. Those who can't: buy upgrades."

GenMoore
13th Jun 2005, 19:02
'A fix', Hmmmm, well could recommend getting drunk, but maybe theres the hard stuff, Hmmm, all depends how old you are, but would recommend Coffee or tea.

That will fix you up. :thumbsup: :D

Billy Fish
14th Jun 2005, 01:00
'A fix', Hmmmm, well could recommend getting drunk, but maybe theres the hard stuff, Hmmm, all depends how old you are, but would recommend Coffee or tea. :D

Waaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. :cool:

Billy Fish
14th Jun 2005, 01:04
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51614

Have you tried messing around with your Gfx card's Advanced setting's ? I have never seen any choppiness but I don't use an ATI. It's not always drivers etc.

I played around with my custom settings to set them for High Performance. I get framerates of 125 in Call of Duty (first person shooter) and play Rome Total War which is probably as graphics taxing as IG with no problems at all. I upgraded the drivers to 5.6 at the time I started this thread but I was having the choppiness issues prior to installing the 5.6 drivers anyway.

Evidently there is something about my system that IG doesn't like but I'm at a loss to know what it is. I'll try the save and reload method recommended by another poster since the alternative is to abandon the game altogether.

Billy Fish
14th Jun 2005, 01:46
Well I pretty much give up. I was able to get about 9 turns into the game and it ran smooth. Had one naval battle and went back to the choppy world map. I can't even scroll on the map without it shooting clear across the entire map edge. Dunno what the problem is but it's not like I'm running a slow processor or mediocre graphics card. Tried the save game and reload method and that didn't help.

Too bad too because it seems like this game had some real potential and being a Napoleonic buff, rather disappointing to boot. :(

Oststar
14th Jun 2005, 07:11
Well I pretty much give up. I was able to get about 9 turns into the game and it ran smooth. Had one naval battle and went back to the choppy world map. I can't even scroll on the map without it shooting clear across the entire map edge. Dunno what the problem is but it's not like I'm running a slow processor or mediocre graphics card. Tried the save game and reload method and that didn't help.

Too bad too because it seems like this game had some real potential and being a Napoleonic buff, rather disappointing to boot. :(

Sounds bad... i'm trying to figure out what makes mine chatter like auto-igniters every five seconds (char-ch-ch-ch-ch type sound) in campain battles and only campain battles. IG seems to be a real mean ***** with some people, and for no apparent reason. I'm running a very poor system, comparable to our GeForce 2 friend (Good old card, took quite a beating on my system before I got an Fx5100 for $75AU) and I wonder if RAM is why it's doing it to me: always as a broadside or volley happens, but not the first.

Anyway good luck with it, if my system can run it then i'm sure there's a little reason why you can't. Scrap the ATi in any case ;)

Billy Fish
14th Jun 2005, 22:51
Anyway good luck with it, if my system can run it then i'm sure there's a little reason why you can't. Scrap the ATi in any case ;)

Been using ATI cards for years and this is the first game I have had a problem with. If anything is getting scrapped it's IG. I think from the greater number of people viewing the tech forum rather then the community forum speaks to the issues that many are having with this game. There is absolutely no reason IG should not fly on my system so I can only suspect that it is yet another case of send to the market, we'll patch it later. :mad:

Hopefully the patch, if and when it comes out, will recitify my issue.