PDA

View Full Version : Strange things on hard level

Napaleonic blitzkrieg
11th Jun 2005, 19:37
Has everyone experienced strange nation behaviour on hard level? In my current campaign as GB, little countries such as Batavia, Hanover seem always to conquer France, Austria is almost always destroyed (not by me) at the end of 1st era, it is really not interesting to play when there are no major powers left. Looks like on hard the game is not balanced, major powers should have more influence :confused: . Maybe it's time for me to switch back to medium.
What are your experiences on hard?

Gelatinous Cube
11th Jun 2005, 20:01
Has everyone experienced strange nation behaviour on hard level? In my current campaign as GB, little countries such as Batavia, Hanover seem always to conquer France, Austria is almost always destroyed (not by me) at the end of 1st era, it is really not interesting to play when there are no major powers left. Looks like on hard the game is not balanced, major powers should have more influence :confused: . Maybe it's time for me to switch back to medium.
What are your experiences on hard?

I agree. Major powers get raped by the little guys on hard, and it rather detracts from the game. Medium isn't much better.

I'd stick with Easy, if it weren't for the AI's poor battle performance on Easy.

Element-UK
15th Jun 2005, 00:49
Maybe what we need is the option to Play Hard Battles but Medium campaign map. Wasn't it RTW that let you pick both types seperately ?

Thecrisis5
15th Jun 2005, 01:17
Well the only time i played on hard i was prussia and the little guys raped me :p . There was like a 6 country colition against me and i had 2 landwhere and 2 musketters. I was crushed. So i really have never made it far enough into a hard campaign to notice the major powers being annihilated.

Oststar
15th Jun 2005, 04:16
I'm getting wierd behaviour on medium, example:

France, go to war with piedmont. Lombardy ally makes peace, then piedmont is besieged. Within three turns Spain attacks me and so batavia my defensive ally goes to war with spain (If they used their ships aggressively this might have been useful), then Spain invades Provence. I ignore this and continue to capture Piedmont. then my alliance with batavia runs out, then Hanover attacks me and within two turns so does batavia! But never fear I can win this: I move all three captains north, trounce the batavians, defeat the hanoverians and push the Spanish back out provence as I capture hanover. Piedmont made peace for 1000 gold the second I pulled out. Now the vegemite hits the fan as Austria and Prussia declare war on me a turn after I move my two armies into Paris from Hanover, and the Spain attacks again into provence. I pushed them out of provence and then turned back and stopped batavia, but then Prussia sweeps into Hanover with an army. As I consolidate my forces Denmark declares war on Prussia and Batavia but neither side makes offensive moves, Denmark keeps three armies stationed in Copenhagen and Prussia moves two spare armies into Hanover to capture it quicker, Batavia does nothing. I heal two of three armies and move them into champange as hanover falls, keeping the last as a reserve against the three militia battalions running amok in provence and brittany. I stopped the prussians and they fell back... and then Austria came through with three armies. It was about the I began cursing Pyro and hitting "alt-F4".

Now call me crazy, but having that many countries declare war, unprovoked, and then focus only on me, even after heavy losses (Spain: 1 Sloop, 3 Officers, 9-13 battalions), and ignore bigger threats (Austria moving three armies through a territory i'm beseiging would figure bigger in my calculations than distant France without two armies to rub together) and then needing phenominal peace treaties, is strange. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Nial
15th Jun 2005, 14:32
Yup....the early game on hard can be quite hectic. Frequently you can buy peace with one or two while you pummel your current victim. Think of it as like sharks with blood in the water. On hard it's very important to produce enough militia in the beginning turns to discourage attacks.

Strumm
15th Jun 2005, 15:09
I've found things quite playable on Hard. Playing as France for example, sure Batavia and Piedmont to your East and Spain to your West all declare war on you pretty early on, but in my experience it's perfectly survivable. Just make the creation of a couple of cav units your priority at the start.

Very often the minors will take a few turns to attack even after they've declared war on you, and I've found that with just a couple of armies with cav I have time to respond to each threat in turn. In fact I'll often move my armies away from their borders to make myself appear weak precisely so that the DO declare against me. It's the perfect excuse for taking them over. And for some reason, at this early stage of the game, armies with a cav element seem to assimilate the minors far faster than just infantry armies do. If you can get artillery into an army too then it's even faster.

Spain will almost always attack you from behind but if you keep your nerve and finish off the minor you're assimilating you have time to get back to deal with them. And by the time you do Spain has normally spread itself out very thin in order to take as many of your regions as they can and you can take each one back with very few losses. Keep going and take the first 2 Spanish regions and then offer Spain peace. They'll be pretty desperate by now and usually agree for less than 1,000. And when they do, the Spanish regions you took become yours.

You are now larger than you were, you didn't take a sympathy hit by attacking anyone, and you have time to regroup before the process all starts again.

Oh, and if you have enough resources to put a trade mission into England early on, Great Britain will usually offer a defensive alliance.

Oststar
16th Jun 2005, 02:04
Yup....the early game on hard can be quite hectic. Frequently you can buy peace with one or two while you pummel your current victim. Think of it as like sharks with blood in the water. On hard it's very important to produce enough militia in the beginning turns to discourage attacks.

It's a little different to that... I can understand Spain declaring war, but Batavia had 70% towards me, it's like I have a sign saying "invade me!" on my back. Yesterday I started again. I went after piedmont, made peace with lombardy and papal state the turn Piedmont fell to me (They each paid me 950), then Spain attacked me. I pushed his armies back but then my def alliance with Batavia ran out and they declared war the next turn. Their ship dropped an army in Brittany which moved to provence and look ready to liberate Piedmont so I made peace. Spain gave me 550 for peace and then Spain took provence off Batavia. Hanover declared war so I kicked them out of Champange and took them over. Prussia declared war on me, so I formed a coalition with Austria and then Spain started up again. As I capture provence Britain annexed Portugal, So I made peace after annexing Catalonia and another provence. Austria declared war, i made peace, the Helvetian R attacked me... batavia (def ally again) pushed them out of champange for me, then I took them over. Then britain and spain form a coalition against me, Austria declares war and I have to cancell my annexation of Prussia. I stopped as my armies were poised to take over Vienna.

Now tell me that is normal...

Irish2
16th Jun 2005, 03:17
It's a little different to that... I can understand Spain declaring war, but Batavia had 70% towards me, it's like I have a sign saying "invade me!" on my back. Yesterday I started again. I went after piedmont, made peace with lombardy and papal state the turn Piedmont fell to me (They each paid me 950), then Spain attacked me. I pushed his armies back but then my def alliance with Batavia ran out and they declared war the next turn. Their ship dropped an army in Brittany which moved to provence and look ready to liberate Piedmont so I made peace. Spain gave me 550 for peace and then Spain took provence off Batavia. Hanover declared war so I kicked them out of Champange and took them over. Prussia declared war on me, so I formed a coalition with Austria and then Spain started up again. As I capture provence Britain annexed Portugal, So I made peace after annexing Catalonia and another provence. Austria declared war, i made peace, the Helvetian R attacked me... batavia (def ally again) pushed them out of champange for me, then I took them over. Then britain and spain form a coalition against me, Austria declares war and I have to cancell my annexation of Prussia. I stopped as my armies were poised to take over Vienna.

Now tell me that is normal...

Lets see, Britain and Spain make an alliance to keep you off the peninsula, Austria joins the War when France is weakened....Sounds about right for the time period. The minors may not of attacked like that in the Napoleonic era, but they certainly would have if they thought they could stand up to Frances might.

You got to remember that during the Napoleonic Wars all of France's allies including Russia and Sweden were secretly trying to undermine Napoleon. Austria fought brutally against France, then sent 30,000 men to help invade Russia. Russia was supposed to be Napoleon's ally and then Nap invaded them. The Germanic states basically would fight for whatever side they thought was going to win.

Oststar
16th Jun 2005, 06:52
Lets see, Britain and Spain make an alliance to keep you off the peninsula, Austria joins the War when France is weakened....Sounds about right for the time period. The minors may not of attacked like that in the Napoleonic era, but they certainly would have if they thought they could stand up to Frances might.

You got to remember that during the Napoleonic Wars all of France's allies including Russia and Sweden were secretly trying to undermine Napoleon. Austria fought brutally against France, then sent 30,000 men to help invade Russia. Russia was supposed to be Napoleon's ally and then Nap invaded them. The Germanic states basically would fight for whatever side they thought was going to win.

Yeah I grasped that, but it's all the random intent: Austria had Russia and Moldavia massing on their east and were unlikely to get a single provence off me.

Prussia was in a similar situation with Poland, but continued its pointless invasion of Hanover as east prussia or whatever it is fell to Poland. Austria lost three provinces to Russia and Moldavia, but still massed its forces in the west to liberate a few small nations, which simply meant that there was a buffer between me and them.

It all calmed down after Britain annexed all the little nations I didn't crush, but Austria and Prussia, who both have smaller armies than me (I'm third largest: Russia has the biggest and Britain second, both are spread from Scandinavia to africa though), and at least one other enemy breathing down their necks, are still trying to invade me.

Many years on from what i've told you about Prussia is a single provence, Austria is under my control as is part of Spain, all the little countries on the east of France (Save lombardy: liberated), Russia owns everything between Moscow and Norway (British), Prussia, Austria (Me), and then Tripoli, while Britain owns everything from Morroco to Norway.

If the computer is shrewd enough to calcute its odds at being invaded the next turn , why is it working as a single team to bring the game to a climatic end before the turn of the century? If it continues at this pace i'll build enough armies to annex Spain and boot England out of the penninsular anyway, take the northern european nations of them and then once Britain is isolated launch a rolling offense from Norway to Morroco against the Russian Bear. Whatever it takes this campain will be over before the turn of the century. The enemies actions are no longer strange, but it's odd that Pyro geared the campain to end so quickly.

Nial
17th Jun 2005, 13:59
*chuckle* I've found myself frequently letting the major nations rebuild to prolong the game. In my current game as England. I just allowed France to buy Brittany back from me. Unfortunatly for him, he got cocky and attacked me a few turns later. Bad move.