PDA

View Full Version : IG cannons/artilleries

Nova Pros
8th Jun 2005, 22:05
I've played IG demo and what I think about this game's cannons/art. is that they are completely useless. Other than provoking the enemy to fire back, cannons/artilleries does nothing, it kills one or two enemies in each shot.

Whats up with that? I thought they suppose to have a davastating fire power effect?

AGENT15
8th Jun 2005, 23:11
The artillery can destroy countless enemies! Its not meant to win the battle by themselves, but beat the enemy so they have few men left so you can kill with infantry. Duh!

Nova Pros
8th Jun 2005, 23:20
I don't think you get what I said, but I said the cannons/artilleries does a kill about 1 unit per fire shot. Probably it's different from the retail version, but in demo it is.

Skirmisher
8th Jun 2005, 23:36
The problem is with the scale of the game - a real cannon firing at a real battalion would kill or wound about 4 men with a single ball at very long range, and as many as 15 at closer ranges. When you consider that infantry marching at top speed could spend as much as 5 minutes within the range of artillery, they could suffer up to a hundred casualities just from cannon fire. That's not too bad with a real unit of 500 - 700 men, but in the game, battalions are only 60 men.

IMHO a more realistic artillery barrage could be achieved by the cannons having a much longer range, but only do damage to unit's morale (if implemented properly) at long range, and only start killing at shorter ranges.

Or increase unit sizes to 500... :cool: