PDA

View Full Version : I give up....

5/77 Armd
8th Jun 2005, 04:43
I'm sick and tired of this s***. I finally started a game at medium difficulty as France. Five countries declared war on me, I couldn't keep up so I started over. This time only four countries declared war on me including a coalition of Britain and Austria. So I started over again since I was getting my a** handed to me; this time as Britain. I waited until my economy was up and declared war on Spain. While I was down there, three countries declared war and invaded my home islands, not to mention a militia uprising which destroyed my siege army. So I started over one more time, this time I was determined to have an excellently trained army before declaring war. I waited to start my first war after researching through to Tactical Maneuvers in the 2nd Research Bracket which states my troops will melee better and have improved defense. I even waited until my upgraded military academy was built. So I invaded Denmark (Norway territory) with 4 Line Infantry, 1 Light Infantry, 2 Lancers, 1 Hussar and 1 Artillery. Guess what? After auto resolving the battle against 1 Line Infantry and 8 Militia, all I had left was a remnant of ONE Line Infantry (lost two captains). What the f***? I'm sick of this crap, Cossacks 2 has a very bad strategic map but at least the battles aren't blown out of reality with Mech Warrior Militia units. Unless someone can help me on how to deal with these bastard militia wieners, I'm afraid I'll be done with this game. I don't have the time on my hands to play out every battle so I have to auto resolve many of them. That battle where I only had half a company left said it would be an easy battle ???

Gelatinous Cube
8th Jun 2005, 05:28
My medium game as france is going just fine. If you can't deal with it, practice on easy.

5/77 Armd
8th Jun 2005, 06:13
How many guys invaded you? If everyone else can deal with it, I'm going to have to learn how as well--I'm very frustrated.

Gelatinous Cube
8th Jun 2005, 06:43
How many guys invaded you? If everyone else can deal with it, I'm going to have to learn how as well--very frustrating.

So far, only the spanish, and I beat them back--currently invading their capital with everything I have. Several other nations have declared war to try and get in on this action (my country is literally undefended), but I set up good trade routes early on, and can buy peace treaties before they actually invade. When I am finished with Spain and get a standing army back in Paris, it'll return to normal with nobody declaring war on me. Army size plays a big factor--the AI never declares war for no reason.

Azharas Knight
8th Jun 2005, 08:13
You should fight battles yourself. I once let the computer resolve a battle of mine vs Russia, they butchered me and they still had their whole army left. When I loaded and redid that battle myself I won with 399-199 casualties inflicted.

Eggbath
8th Jun 2005, 10:10
I'm sick and tired of this s***. I finally started a game at medium difficulty as France. Five countries declared war on me, I couldn't keep up so I started over. This time only four countries declared war on me including a coalition of Britain and Austria. So I started over again since I was getting my a** handed to me; this time as Britain. I waited until my economy was up and declared war on Spain. While I was down there, three countries declared war and invaded my home islands, not to mention a militia uprising which destroyed my siege army. So I started over one more time, this time I was determined to have an excellently trained army before declaring war. I waited to start my first war after researching through to Tactical Maneuvers in the 2nd Research Bracket which states my troops will melee better and have improved defense. I even waited until my upgraded military academy was built. So I invaded Denmark (Norway territory) with 4 Line Infantry, 1 Light Infantry, 2 Lancers, 1 Hussar and 1 Artillery. Guess what? After auto resolving the battle against 1 Line Infantry and 8 Militia, all I had left was a remnant of ONE Line Infantry (lost two captains). What the f***? I'm sick of this crap, Cossacks 2 has a very bad strategic map but at least the battles aren't blown out of reality with Mech Warrior Militia units. Unless someone can help me on how to deal with these bastard militia wieners, I'm afraid I'll be done with this game. I don't have the time on my hands to play out every battle so I have to auto resolve many of them. That battle where I only had half a company left said it would be an easy battle ???

It would have been better to face the Militia, ?, you could have used your LI to fire long range at their Line Inf from a flanking postion whilst using your Cav, to force them into Sq formation, and if you had placed your Line Inf in sq the Militia would have destroyed themselves attacking your Inf Sq formation and when retreating to form another attack you would have sho them to bits.
EG

bucephalus12
8th Jun 2005, 12:15
That's why it's important to maintain alliances and set up a few trade routes early in the game. I think the AI will not be so ready to attack if you are allied with a few countries early on. If you start out the campaign warmongering, you will have countries coming down on you heavily. Don't declare war early on; let a big country declare war on you and you will have help from your allies.

It can be tough to take on one of the main powers early in the game but you can hurt them enough to make them think twice about declaring war on you. In my current campaign as France (on medium difficulty), Britain was on conquest early in the game taking Portugal and Denmark and a few Spanish provinces. Eventually we knocked heads and she declared war on me.

I had an alliance with Prussia and a couple of the smaller states east of France. They were eager to ally due to badboy England threatening their borders. I had built up enough of a military to bloody her nose in Spain and take the fight directly across the channel to seige London. Britain panicked and started pulling back armies to defend the homeland. Due to our alliance, Prussia got in on the action and started pushing back in northern europe. I eventually had to pull out of London because there was no way I could assimilate her before she built up enough forces to break the seige this early in the game.

I contacted Britain and suggested a peace treaty and she readily accepted. I came out of the deal with Spain in my possesion.

Much later in the campaign I had Britain, Prussia and Austria all allied against me for two years. But due to the many trade routes I had built up with them and their territories and strategic alliances with provinces in southern Europe, they never attacked me. They had too much to lose, too little to gain.

My main point is to play the game well you have to consider all aspects not just the military.

5/77 Armd
8th Jun 2005, 12:39
I appreciate all this great feedback in response to my whining post which I am ashamed of.
When I concentrate mainly on my economy to complete quests, my army is pretty weak so a lot of countries attack me.
I can't put my force in square since I don't have that tech yet. (Unless it comes with 2nd military academy upgrade and I didn't see it).
I haven't tried to buy peace yet since I have little money and almost all my commercial treaty attempts get shot down.
Regardless of all this, I'll try some of y'alls suggestions tonight and see how I do.

Nial
8th Jun 2005, 18:00
You need to produce a few units while you build to discourage them from DOWing you. And always command the early battles yourself. Once you've beaten a couple back. They stop attacking you as often. Frequently in Med. and always on Hard, it's a disaster to use auto-calc.

Queeg
8th Jun 2005, 20:48
Early alliances are important. Your potential enemies have to know that there's at least a chance that someone will support you if they attack you.

You don't ever want to be the only major without an ally. You're just asking to get ganged up on.

yakult
10th Jun 2005, 07:35
In terms of game mechanics. Allies are good, not because enemy AI is scared of your friends, but because it knocks out potential enemies.
Since AI won't declare war on you while you are in an alliance together, it is always wise to "ally" with nations you don't fancy being at war with.
Don't count on AI allies pumping out troops out of the woodwork to save you though.

Strumm
10th Jun 2005, 13:07
I find that the best way to play Britain on the harder settings is to kind of pretend you're not part of Europe at all for tech 1 and 2. Let me explain...

Build 2 'adequate' armies in England, and place your ships in the North Sea so that no-one (usually Batavia) can invade Scotland without first destroying your fleet. If you haven't got the hang of Naval combat yet, close in and board the enemy vessels at the earliest opportunity - Britain almost always seems to win those when the odds are even.

Then concentrate on buildings which enhance gold, raw materials and population. Build ports. As soon as you can afford to, start opening trade routes over land and sea, one at a time starting with Norway (I think) and moving West (left) around the coast.

When countries offer alliances, accept. When countries offer to trade with you keep hitting the negotiate button until they stop. Never 'reject'. Just keep building those trade routes around the coast to the West. This will happen faster and faster as you build your infrastructure.

By the time you are building trade routes with Spain you'll need to build a couple more ships (you'll need three to transport and one to leave in the North Sea), and three good offensive armies (with some cav). You'll need to leave one good army in England. You should have plenty of money by now so this won't be as hard as it sounds.

In my experience, no-one in Europe will be bothering with you at the moment. Just make sure to not offend anyone and but even if someone declares war against you, you should be safe behind the Channel. It's a big effort for them to send a fleet and an Expeditionary Force at this stage.

Embark your offensive armies in three ships and head for Africa. Go as far out to sea as you can enroute - it's faster. Bypass the first 2 African minors and disembark at the third. You may need to have a naval battle first but it's likely to only be 3 to 1 in your favour and you should walk it.

Crush the first minor and assimilate. Egypt will most likely be on your right and wetting themselves. Make a treaty with them if they offer - you're going West (for now). Roll up Africa to the West one region at a time (regardless of who controls them). The second African Minor (can't remember the name sorry) seems to churn out militia at 150 population. Yay. Use it. Once you control everything to the west, fill any gaps you have in your trade routes between where you are now and Britain, and the money will start to roll in. Remember to always build population, and raw material buildings in every region you take over.

You should now be in position to give Egypt a good kicking and then work your way around to the East. Once you're ready to start taking Europe from behind (so to speak) - via countries which have barely even heard of you until now - you should be about halfway through Tech 2 (or very close to it), and with a good income. Things will get harder now and your opponents will start to notice that they are pretty much surrounded but if you attack from the other end of Europe that tends to draw enemy forces away from your home territory - and in my experience confuses the hell out of everyone.

Just watch your raw materials and food levels. You may need to accept deals to buy them - but you'll be able to afford it.

Gelatinous Cube
10th Jun 2005, 23:32
I find that the best way to play Britain on the harder settings is to kind of pretend you're not part of Europe at all for tech 1 and 2. Let me explain...

Build 2 'adequate' armies in England, and place your ships in the North Sea so that no-one (usually Batavia) can invade Scotland without first destroying your fleet. If you haven't got the hang of Naval combat yet, close in and board the enemy vessels at the earliest opportunity - Britain almost always seems to win those when the odds are even.

Then concentrate on buildings which enhance gold, raw materials and population. Build ports. As soon as you can afford to, start opening trade routes over land and sea, one at a time starting with Norway (I think) and moving West (left) around the coast.

When countries offer alliances, accept. When countries offer to trade with you keep hitting the negotiate button until they stop. Never 'reject'. Just keep building those trade routes around the coast to the West. This will happen faster and faster as you build your infrastructure.

By the time you are building trade routes with Spain you'll need to build a couple more ships (you'll need three to transport and one to leave in the North Sea), and three good offensive armies (with some cav). You'll need to leave one good army in England. You should have plenty of money by now so this won't be as hard as it sounds.

In my experience, no-one in Europe will be bothering with you at the moment. Just make sure to not offend anyone and but even if someone declares war against you, you should be safe behind the Channel. It's a big effort for them to send a fleet and an Expeditionary Force at this stage.

Embark your offensive armies in three ships and head for Africa. Go as far out to sea as you can enroute - it's faster. Bypass the first 2 African minors and disembark at the third. You may need to have a naval battle first but it's likely to only be 3 to 1 in your favour and you should walk it.

Crush the first minor and assimilate. Egypt will most likely be on your right and wetting themselves. Make a treaty with them if they offer - you're going West (for now). Roll up Africa to the West one region at a time (regardless of who controls them). The second African Minor (can't remember the name sorry) seems to churn out militia at 150 population. Yay. Use it. Once you control everything to the west, fill any gaps you have in your trade routes between where you are now and Britain, and the money will start to roll in. Remember to always build population, and raw material buildings in every region you take over.

You should now be in position to give Egypt a good kicking and then work your way around to the East. Once you're ready to start taking Europe from behind (so to speak) - via countries which have barely even heard of you until now - you should be about halfway through Tech 2 (or very close to it), and with a good income. Things will get harder now and your opponents will start to notice that they are pretty much surrounded but if you attack from the other end of Europe that tends to draw enemy forces away from your home territory - and in my experience confuses the hell out of everyone.

Just watch your raw materials and food levels. You may need to accept deals to buy them - but you'll be able to afford it.

I don't reccoment starting with the 3rd african country (Tripolitania). Start with the first, Morocco, as it has far more resources than any of the other ones, allowing you to build a better military faster for taking over the rest of africa.