PDA

View Full Version : Why are my riflemen red and other things?

Chosen Man
7th Jun 2005, 12:44
I was a little disappointed to see a troop of riflemen appear on the battlefield wearing red tunics. Perhaps this is something for a future patch.

I have been reading the posts on artillery and militia with interest. I had not realised until someone pointed it out that militia will not charge infantry in square. This knowledge came in handy when faced with hoards of enemy infantry and only artillery and militia on my side as I was able to force the enemy infantry into square by charging militia at them but repeatedly pulling back just before the melee was joined. Ok, I lost some militia from musket fire but I was able to slaughter more enemy with the howitzers than I lost and won the battle.

Of course, this was one of Napoleon's real tactics: force infantry into squares (using cavalry not militia!) and then slaughter them with cannon fire - glad to see that IG is faithful in that respect.

Ironhand
7th Jun 2005, 17:24
If it was faithful in that respect it would not form square when faced with milita.

Johnny_H
8th Jun 2005, 17:05
yeah I agree, I was hoping to see British Rifle Regiments as skirmishers in green tunics, but meh, somethin that can be easily patched or modded.

Grubnessul
8th Jun 2005, 20:11
arn't those coats red for gameplay reasons?

I prefere a little historical inaccurance over blasting away my own troops (or saving the enemy) from canon fire cause I didn't check it 100% out who they are

Benj
8th Jun 2005, 21:31
arn't those coats red for gameplay reasons?

I prefere a little historical inaccurance over blasting away my own troops (or saving the enemy) from canon fire cause I didn't check it 100% out who they are

The great big flags over their heads kind of gives it away.... :rolleyes:

Skirmisher
8th Jun 2005, 22:55
Plus if you take a look at the Russians and other armies that have green uniforms in the game, they have green tunics with white facings and white trousers. The Rifle Regiments wore all dark green. Combine this with an extremely large Kings Colour over their heads and it'd be pretty sad to confuse them!!

PrinceMyshkin
9th Jun 2005, 03:08
Of course, this was one of Napoleon's real tactics: force infantry into squares (using cavalry not militia!) and then slaughter them with cannon fire - glad to see that IG is faithful in that respect.

ahem, bit of a pity that Ney seemed to have forgot that! ;)

Johnny_H
9th Jun 2005, 03:45
Plus if you take a look at the Russians and other armies that have green uniforms in the game, they have green tunics with white facings and white trousers. The Rifle Regiments wore all dark green. Combine this with an extremely large Kings Colour over their heads and it'd be pretty sad to confuse them!!
Coudlnt of said it anybetter myself, but us historicle nit pickers rarely if ever get our way. :thumbsup:

cossie_fan
9th Jun 2005, 23:16
I'm going to be taking a crack at the uniforms soon. The French Imperial Guards are wrong too. Guards wore blue with white facings and red piping, and they've got them with red facings. First I had to change the flags though. It's kinda hard as I don't know how to modify the models themselves, as the sizes are a little messed up (if memory serves lots of regimental colors are square or near abouts, not rectangular) so I had to fudge things a bit to get the French flags to fit. Anyway, I changed my French colors to the pre-1812 format (came out fairly well for a beginner like me.)

Villaret-Joyeuse
10th Jun 2005, 03:07
Check earlier threads, you'll see that there were big discussions about this even before the game was released. You'll see the official response for why,too.

Angelus888
10th Jun 2005, 13:15
Well Eidos will probably bring out a patch in a month or two dealing with the major problems. The other stuff, like historical inaccuracies, we can easily change, whether it's flags, model textures or the models themselves.

I understand some people don't want 'another' post like this, but as it's on page one and deals with possible things to mod quite directly, I think it's a good post to continue.

Maybe at some stage modellers could replace the tall hats of some of the troops with 3-peaked hats seen during the era.

Also just a quick question - was the Union Jack actually missing the Irish component at this time? I'm not sure myself as everything I've seen so far has had the diagonal red stripes, but only the English and Scottish flags are combined in this flag. By the way - I think someone has made the propper Royal Navy flag, so hopefully we can use that on ships and keep the Union Jack for our land armies.

(sorry for the long post)

Johnny_H
10th Jun 2005, 16:58
Well Eidos will probably bring out a patch in a month or two dealing with the major problems. The other stuff, like historical inaccuracies, we can easily change, whether it's flags, model textures or the models themselves.

I understand some people don't want 'another' post like this, but as it's on page one and deals with possible things to mod quite directly, I think it's a good post to continue.

Maybe at some stage modellers could replace the tall hats of some of the troops with 3-peaked hats seen during the era.

Also just a quick question - was the Union Jack actually missing the Irish component at this time? I'm not sure myself as everything I've seen so far has had the diagonal red stripes, but only the English and Scottish flags are combined in this flag. By the way - I think someone has made the propper Royal Navy flag, so hopefully we can use that on ships and keep the Union Jack for our land armies.

(sorry for the long post)

Im not too sure of hte specifics but I do know that flag matches the pre 1804? or 1802 ... just thinkin off the top of my head here. From what i remember that flag matches the flag pre 1804 or 1802 lol which one just escapes me at the time being.

JayDee
11th Jun 2005, 17:10
hiya folks, (my first post so bear with me)

I too was dissappointed (at first) that the uniforms and flags are not entirely accurate for the armies of the period - they're a passion of mine in fact - but I quickly got used to the look of them and they suit me fine now (pun intended).

In terms of gameplay it would be impracticable to have too many variations on the field, for example red uniforms for both British infantry, KGL in British service, some Prussian regiments, and for Swiss infantry in the French army, with green tunics for 95th riflemen and KGL, Prussians except those that were variously blue, red, black, white, grey .. or wore Russian or British uniforms .. etc etc .. you see my point? Even with big-ass flags flapping about lol :) It's a series of books in itself. At various times and according to various sources all armies wore all colours in a wide variety of styles and probably with a cherry on top.

I take the point that Brits didn't have lancers and that French Imperial Guard Infantry wore plain blue surtout coats with white lapels turned back etc (not in fact red, or faced red, as you rightly said) and there are other minor gripes in terms of accuracy .. but when you get down to it the forces pan out well on the field and look pretty good and recogniseable. If there are mods to change this then fine, I'll prolly try em or at least consider it.

@Angelus888 - those tricorn hats you mentioned (although they would look good) would have generally been from an earlier period, more Marlborough-ian, even bicorn hats for the rank and file were going out of fashion by the time IG covers and were soon replaced by those round topped felt shakos.

@Johnny_H - I think that flag was used up to 1801, from then on it was the traditional variant we know today. Naval flags were coded by squadron in blue, white, and red fields - the white ensign that we know today was standardised by Victoria (I think) in the mid 1800s .. hope that clears that one up too :)

It's also worth keeping in mind why the Irish component of the flag wasn't incorporated yet at the time .. and the fact that Ireland was (semi) officially an ally of France (though they had forces on both sides) and fought alongside Napoleon's army throughout the period - the Irish divisions wore light green French style tunics if anyone's interested ;)